Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It turns out we, the fans, were the real monsters all along. :(

Wanna visit that squirrel world tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I did appreciate the whole writer thing with the new mcguffin and meta idea that they are Chuck's favorite show. Also, Amara loving keno made me giggle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wow, that was solid. Kind of bummer about Chuck, he was my favorite depiction of the Almighty.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, it's a terrific way to underscore how we know NOTHING and cannot actually be sure of anything from the show's history now.

Chuck controls reality, if he decides salt doesn't stop ghosts anymore? gently caress it, doesn't work anymore. He wrecks this reality? He just creates a new one.

Guy can do a hell of a heel turn. Terrific actor.

I think the best part is it turns out he basically announced his character when he was introduced. "Well, there's only one explanation. Obviously I'm a god... I'm definitely a god. A cruel, cruel, capricious god."

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I also liked God actually doing something powerful for once and undoing the truth-telling chaos across the world. In this show, supposed Gods are often no different than other monsters but with added telekinesis and teleportation.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
God (capital G) is kinda terrifying. The other gods are all kinda just... low level mid boss monsters. I still love the Christmas ones though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was kind of taken aback that this was the finale. Don't they usually have more episodes in a season?

I'm not going to lie, 15 seasons later and I still get a rush when Kansas kicks in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Turns out in the Supernatural universe the Gnostics were right. Chuck isn't a benevolent spiritual deity, he's a demiurge. Creation is always and forever hosed up no matter what he does because Chuck is hosed up.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I was kind of taken aback that this was the finale. Don't they usually have more episodes in a season?

I'm not going to lie, 15 seasons later and I still get a rush when Kansas kicks in.

Yea, they had a shorter season cause the bros wanted to spend more time with their families. CW and the stars were like "Sounds good, keeps em wanting to do the show longer!"

Then they announce that next season is the last season anyway.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Please don't tell me theres still people not satisfied with the length of the show as it is. I mean it's still good in some respects but this show has been a horse dragging around a dead carcass for 10 years now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Please don't tell me theres still people not satisfied with the length of the show as it is. I mean it's still good in some respects but this show has been a horse dragging around a dead carcass for 10 years now.

Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't asking out of disappointment, just surprise. I'm pretty much at the point where any show can be cut down to 15 episodes max and it will improve it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Haha, Chuck literally lays it out for them (and us) in his first appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtETl-FyOAM

"I am a cruel and capricious God."

And the name of the episode? "The Monster At the End of the Book."

:drat:

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Astroman posted:

Haha, Chuck literally lays it out for them (and us) in his first appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtETl-FyOAM

"I am a cruel and capricious God."

And the name of the episode? "The Monster At the End of the Book."

:drat:
It'll be interesting to find out if there were ever ideas like this set in motion by the original 5 seasons' creators and writers for Chuck to be the big bad. I don't think much of the Darkness bit really feels consistent, but it's hard to say if he's only been interested in sticking his character into the Winchester book when it's absolutely necessary to keep them around. In seasons 4 and 5 he was definitely pushing the narrative forward in weird ways.

Either way, this clip is A+ foreshadowing or inspiration.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Turns out in the Supernatural universe the Gnostics were right. Chuck isn't a benevolent spiritual deity, he's a demiurge. Creation is always and forever hosed up no matter what he does because Chuck is hosed up.
Except the gnostics said there was an actual good proper god above the bad one and it was possible to get out of this terrible world and be with the real proper god in heaven. There's no indication here that there's any level above Chuck.

Psychepath posted:

It'll be interesting to find out if there were ever ideas like this set in motion by the original 5 seasons' creators and writers for Chuck to be the big bad.
It's never made sense for him not to be, because if he created everything then he made monsters. You could explain away the bad things done by humans as free will in action, but on top of that he made a bunch of things that are just evil by default. And basically all of the angels' complaints are valid as well. He just left things to (metaphorically) go to hell because he either couldn't be bothered any more or because that's what he wanted to happen.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

It's never made sense for him not to be, because if he created everything then he made monsters. You could explain away the bad things done by humans as free will in action, but on top of that he made a bunch of things that are just evil by default. And basically all of the angels' complaints are valid as well. He just left things to (metaphorically) go to hell because he either couldn't be bothered any more or because that's what he wanted to happen.

Eve, seemingly the goddess of Purgatory, made all the monsters. It's in season six.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rando posted:

Eve, seemingly the goddess of Purgatory, made all the monsters. It's in season six.
But ultimately it all comes back to Chuck. He made everything. And when Eve made the alpha vampire and the alpha vampire made a bunch more vampires Chuck knew that was happening and went "yep, this seems fine." To paraphrase Spider-Man, when you're omnipotent literally everything is your responsibility.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

Except the gnostics said there was an actual good proper god above the bad one and it was possible to get out of this terrible world and be with the real proper god in heaven. There's no indication here that there's any level above Chuck.

The boys are very much trapped in the material plane, they've never gone looking for a higher spiritual plane. Knowing there was another level wouldn't help them kill monsters. It does make the Heaven we've seen darker. It's pleasant, but it's just part of the trap keeping spiritual energy from escaping to the divine. You're blissed out reliving your happiest moment, but you're all alone. (Unless you wake up, break out, and go visit your friends in their personal heavens/cells.)

Sophia (or someone) created Chuck and then was ashamed of what she did and locked him in a box, and even he doesn't know there's a higher level. He's filled his box with his flawed creations and thinks he's hot poo poo.

None of which matters, except that people were annoyed about the Judaeo-christian mythos being the 'correct' religion. Clearly Chuck is not a benevolent creator. All of creation, including infinite alternate universes, is just entertainment for a spoiled child. There is no plan. Yeah, there is a heaven and hell but the christians are completely wrong about what gets you into heaven. And getting into heaven is not that great anyway, it's just better than the alternatives. When you die you don't get to go be with Chuck, you get stuffed in a happy box and used as a battery to power angel lasers.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yep. Even the supposedly great heaven ending for Mary where she gets to be with John is fake. She really isn't with John probably, John could be in Hell, Purgatory, or 3 doors down from her, but that's probably just a illusion of John, and she's just living a loop of Happy Time over and over.

Real Heaven is kinda lovely, from what we've seen. It's pointless like Hell, just without torture.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

My favorite part of the episode was a lady, unable to lie, shouting "I am the Stapler Queen"

Yeah girl, you are. Undeniably. Gimme a Queen of Staplers spinoff.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The boys being Chuck's 'favorite show' does explain a lot about the Jews though. Being Chuck's 'chosen people' is awful. :razz:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

The boys being Chuck's 'favorite show' does explain a lot about the Jews though. Being Chuck's 'chosen people' is awful. :razz:

Chuck: "Oh yeah, I TOTALLY love the Jews! They're like my peeps! I mean, I'm not giving them what they were promised in the end, but man, I love messing with them and giving them crazy rules and stuff! They'll do anything I tell them! And boy can they put up with some poo poo!" *clap!*

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Finally caught up with the season hitting Netflix.

Woah.

That's quite the setup for a final season. I think I feel as excited as I did at the end of S4 to see where they go with the end of the world.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Same, just caught up.

That early foreshadowing is good. It is just simply very, very good.

I'm looking forward to how weird S15's going to get.

Reminds me of this:

Except there needs to be another square for Supernatural: MAN vs. AUDIENCE

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The last 15 mins of the final episode is just gonna be Chuck giving a monologue to the audience through the camera, and then flipping channels to something else that looks interesting to him. Gabriel had it right when he showed up in Changing Channels.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I honestly half expected when Chuck said "story over" for him to snap his fingers and to just get a "screen turning off" visual and then black.

Obviously Chuck wants a bigger show.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
My money is on the nothingness. All the angels, demons and monsters combined to form Captin Planet... But seriously if Jack can call Cass back , why not Crowley and the rest.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Show wise, I'd say it's cause he never knew him.

Actor wise, it's cause they really pissed off Sheppard when they killed him off and he's written the show off.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I powered through every episode over the last couple months (and then rewatched like 6 sessions after I finally convinced my mom to tune in) and now that I finished it last night, I...don't even know what to do with all my free time anymore.

Started watching Lucifer but the angels are mega lame and the lore sucks. Might be suffering withdrawals.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'd have a tough time with anyone else playing Lucifer On Modern Earth at this point to get into another show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCJsSA6ISa0 :allears:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That scene got a good chuckle out of me.

'Lucifer' would definitely be improved with Mark Sheppard as the lead. And also less lovely writing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lucifer improves a lot in the Netflix season, and the leads definitely have a ton of charisma/charm as it continues.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I would absolutely watch a Supernatural spin-off where Crowley's trapped in the wrong universe then moves to LA to solve crimes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

I would absolutely watch a Supernatural spin-off where Crowley's trapped in the wrong universe then moves to LA to solve crimes.

He'd prefer he come back to Doom Patrol and be drunk constantly.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anybody live in Vancouver and in need of some flannel shirts?

https://twitter.com/SuperWiki/status/1143896698718048256

(12,000, holy poo poo)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fire sale before they've shot the final season?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well they ended the last season in a graveyard surrounded by zombies so the final season is just them holed up in a house with some rear end in a top hat in the basement.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bump for Big News for next season:

https://screenrant.com/supernatural-season-15-adam-winchester-return/amp/

Probably the second most asked for piece of fanservice besides John returning.

Personally I think it will be lame as gently caress if Crowley doesn't come back as well.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Astroman posted:

Personally I think it will be lame as gently caress if Crowley doesn't come back as well.

The producers of the show seem to hate the actor, and from what I've heard he only got killed off due to behind the scenes drama. Wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

(I want it to happen too)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sirotan posted:

from what I've heard he only got killed off due to behind the scenes drama.

I've never seen any actual evidence of that, but it would explain why they suddenly decided to kill him after going out of their way to keep him in the show for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've never read any reason for it either, but I follow enough of the actors/writers/producers on Twitter etc to see that he's essentially become persona non grata. Doesn't get mentioned, doesn't get invited to those dumb conventions (where one of the features actors played a character who was on the show for 2 episodes).

:shrug: