Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

This was an interesting opening ep - it did feel odd, rather subdued. I have no problems with such a change of pace though, and I'm interested to see where they go from here.

Re: Bloodlines - it sucked, horribly. But I've said this before and I'll say it again - I would kill for the creators to follow it up with a big-budget official open-world co-op action game about Sam and Dean returning to Chicago and wiping out the monster families. The story setup really feels like it was tailor-made for a game in some ways, like how we have a single open location and a collection of different enemy types all ruled by higher-level, more powerful bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

Not 100% what you're looking for, since it is a single player RPG. But you might want to check out Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. You basically play as a noob vampire doing quests given to you by other vampires higher up on the food chain.

Edit: It will probably go on sale on steam around Halloween. And you will need to install some fan patches to make it playable.

Oh, I wasn't actually looking for a game specifically like that or anything. I just really do think that the plot Bloodlines set up feels like it would be great for a game, and that I believe it would be a legitimately good way to salvage that episode rather than hurling it in the trash, not to mention that I would just love to have an official Supernatural action game. I can't be the only one who wants to go kill monsters with a buddy as Sam and Dean in co-op.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yaos posted:

Now I imagine it with the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor. I want a Supernatural adventure game from Telltale games too.

Yep. I honestly imagine the Nemesis System is going to be in a shitload of games from here on out, and it would own in a Supernatural game. Though it wouldn't work the same way without some constant resurrection element to the story. Probably just have it apply to monsters that escape from the player?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, one thing you can say about Supernatural, anyone who dies absolutely stays dead forever 100% of the time.

Sure, but those times generally had specific reasons that no longer apply. Like, the resurrections in S5 were due to the boys being important to the apocalypse, but that's over. Gabriel is dead. Demon deals wouldn't work due to the costs involved - remember, Shadow of Mordor's conceit is that every time you die you automatically resurrect in-story with no real cost. I know we all joke about how little death means in SPN, but I can't honestly think of a way that completely infinite in-story resurrections could be justified in a remotely decent way. Castiel maybe, but can he still do that?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Play a monster constantly killing hunters that get resurrected because of *plot reasons*.

Well, at least we know the correct way to do DLC.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

You could have a guy who is immortal due to a curse or a spell, but still no stronger or smarter than an average human. Takes up hunting because reasons. Not sure how they'd tie in Sam and Dean though.

Well, I'd want Sam and Dean to be involved. You could have this character team up with them somehow to bring down the Chicago monsters because plot. Have the player play as him/her (maybe even make the character customisable?) and have Sam and Dean as AI partners. Still, I imagine many people would prefer to actually play as the boys. Even if it was just fangirls rotating the camera around their chiselled next-gen abs.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

I guess they could go old school and if you die it is a game over. Restore to previous save point and try again. That would be better than Sam and Dean getting resurrected dozens of times.

The discussion was about how one could get the Nemesis System from Shadow of Mordor to work in the game. I don't know if you're familiar with it, but it basically works like this:

- You don't merely get a game over and start from the last checkpoint, your character is connected to a wraith and is actually resurrected in-story whenever you die.

- Any orc that kills you gains a name and is promoted, becoming a kind of mini-boss Captain that is more powerful, and becomes even more powerful every time they kill you. They even recognise you and comment on how they remember killing you, and you become well-known as the Gravewalker who seemingly can't die.

So basically, implementing the Nemesis System into a game requires enemies to be capable of fighting you and surviving to fight again in some fashion.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Neither of those things are even a little bit necessary to have a Nemesis-like system of unique enemies that exist as part of a power structure that remember their previous encounters with you, though. You could still have 90% of what makes that system cool without including the "if they kill you, they get promoted" part. That's just one of like a dozen cool aspects of that system.

And hey, if you really want to include that aspect, you could still let the enemies defeat you. There's nothing that says every time a player is defeated, he has to die. There have been plenty of games where the player survives defeat.

If it really bothers you to imagine a vampire not finishing off a hunter, just give him some story MacGuffin where he gets teleported away, healed, or otherwise rescued when he's about to die or whatever. An angel support buddy could do any of those things easily and it would fit very well.

I know that, I already suggested above that they could make it so enemies run away when a battle isn't going their way. There are other ways, it just kind of snowballed into Supernatural Resurrection Chat.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Sam didn't get his soul back until halfway through season 6, so hopefully they leave Dean demonized at least that long.

Though we didn't know what was going on with him for a while. The gap between the reveal he had no soul and the retrieval of his soul was only a few episodes. Demon Dean we've known about from the start so they may play it different. Also, Soulless Sam didn't gently caress with the general formula of 'Sam&Dean hunting monsters' as much as Demon Dean does.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Seems like the only thing missing was Eye of the Tiger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb3G5Qj_Lo8

... I couldn't not.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ed Zeddmore posted:

Plus a month in hell is like ten years per Dean's experience in hell proper, so if he's been there since season 5, you're talking at least a few centuries in special cage hell. Definitely finale big bad material.

He's been in there for about 6.5 years (78 months) Earth time, so it's getting on for a millennium of torture now.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

When they ditch their vessels they ought to be in winged glowy burn-your-eyes-out-if-you-look-at-them form. Remember when that psychic lady went blind trying to look at Cas way back when?

I imagine the show just glosses over that because it would be both expensive and confusing. Kind of like how when the angels talk among themselves they speak english, rather than enochian.

I would say that they are probably speaking Enochian. The characters in movies like Gladiator and Valkyrie aren't speaking English either.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well, back on season five Zachariah said that they manifested on the meatsuits on heaven because humans wouldn't be able to understand their true forms.

That's definitely the case when they're chatting with a human in heaven, but this is more about when they're talking amongst themselves with no people around.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

It wouldn't work. Even regular Dean is hard to imprison. Dark Dean would be quite happy to become a demon again, so he wouldn't be afraid of death. They'd have to find a way to contain Dark Dean so he couldn't escape and also couldn't hurt himself. He'd be harder to contain than Demon Dean, because they have to keep him physically healthy so he needs food, hygiene and exercise, they can't just leave him chained to a chair.

It would be easier to keep whole Dean imprisoned than splitting him in two and trying to keep just his dark half contained.

Not to mention that Good Dean could possibly be a less effective hunter. Sometimes 'bad' things are unfortunately necessary.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Huh, this episode's Young Dean is actually 20.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dean was dead for about 3 months? and it was 40 something years.

It's been about 4? seasons since Adam's been locked in there. At the very least it's something near 500 years.

Almost 5 seasons, and you're forgetting the 2 year-long timeskips we've had. It's getting on for a millennium of torture.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Every time I see or hear The Darkness I think of the band.

I believe in a thing called love
Just listen to the rhythm of your heart

All I could think of was the game.

That was a good loving game. Jackie Estacado for Season 11, please.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Saveron_01 posted:

Just a thought, perhaps the darkness is where all of the banished ghosts and demons end up after they are exorcised. Get ready for racist truck Mk 2! (driven by Meg)

I'm pretty sure ghosts just go to Heaven or Hell like anyone does when they die, and demons go back to Hell when exorcised. Where demons (or angels for that matter) go when they are killed, however, has never been confirmed, and your basic idea could really work for that.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Super.Jesus posted:

I can't get over the fact that they're basically doing the leviathan all over again, but they're still not going full Lovecraft. What is is going to take for the monsters to be something else than black smoke or black liquid?

What about neither of those, but rather just... black. Like, maybe they take a human shape of some sort, but they're literally just pure black silhouettes, no depth, no reflection, essentially no interaction with light, just utterly, purely dark, like walking black holes. It would be cheap at least, and I honestly think that if it was done right it could be really unnerving and warped and wrong-looking, like something that just doesn't belong in reality.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Never heard of this before, but yes, exactly this. Imagine a human silhouette that was as black as that with absolutely zero defining features or perceivable depth, but moving and walking around and interacting with real, defined objects and people. It could be so creepy, yet easy to do. Detail is the hardest part of CGI work, and these things would be exactly the opposite. Primordial nothingness. Pre-detail.

Hell, another good thing would be that since they'd lack mouths and would probably communicate with telepathy or just having their voices appear out of thin air, you could hire big, imposing stuntmen/women to play them while having the most skilled voice actors you can find do the voices, rather than having to find individuals with the build, voice and acting skill. Get the 7"7' dude from It Follows, for starters.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Azhais posted:

I think they established that 3 earth days = 1 year in hell, so how long ago was the brother pulled in?

edit: Wiki claims that in show year is generally pretty close to real year, so Adam went in sometime in 2010, which means Adam has been in the cage for going on 1500 years. Sam got all hosed up after a couple months in there.

More than that since there were two year-long time skips. Each season still takes place over a year - from what I understand the fact that they have calendars and such matching the airdate is just an example of the crew ignoring those fine details that few people care about. Adams's been in hell for 7 years. Sam (well, his soul) was there for a year and a half.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

pentyne posted:

11 years in they know they've made some great characters and plots that got moved past and never again mentioned. The one I'm waiting for is the "Monsters run Chicago" backdoor pilot that got shut down where Sam and Dean go back to Chicago, team up with every living character they've ever worked with and murder the poo poo out of all those monsters.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the single city location, variety of monster enemies with clearly-defined strengths and weaknesses, and the hierarchies of monster-mobster factions to be taken down, is straight out of a video game and is the perfect setup for an open-world Supernatural co-op action game.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Murphy Brownback posted:

I think we all know deep down Dean is going to rescue Sam within an episode or two (or maybe it'll be like Hell/Purgatory where the season starts with Sam already safe) and they'll pull random things out of their rear end to justify how an organization of men can somehow be a bigger threat than God's sister.

I don't think that's so hard to explain. Amara was a larger threat but that meant they had more powerful allies who were compelled to help. God, Lucifer, the Heavenly Host and the demons won't be assisting them, and I doubt Crowley or Rowena would be offering too much help. Castiel will, but you saw the woman banish him without issue. And in the end Amara wasn't without reason. The Men of Letters don't need to be as powerful as Amara to be a bigger threat. Though they may well turn out to be allies a ways into the season.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Xealot posted:

You may not like Claire, but she is extremely similar to Dean. The flippant, rear end in a top hat demeanor, disdain for authority, tendency to jump into dangerous situations without a plan, the weird lone wolf poo poo where she refuses help, the martyr complex where she invites death or injury...it’s all right out of Dean’s playbook.

I mostly find it funny that Kathryn Newton plays the same bratty, rebellious teenage daughter in *everything*. She’s done this in Halt and Catch Fire and Big Little Lies...I’m pretty sure she’s that in Three Billboards prior to getting murdered, and I’m sure there are other examples.

I like Kathryn Newton but even I've noticed that she seems typecast in almost everything. Though I saw her in the Lady Bird trailer and after her other Bad Grrl roles it's hilarious:

If her other characters saw this they'd all be like

NEEERRRRRD

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Flatscan posted:

It has to have done better than the other one they tried, which was pretty much Sam and Dean get stuck in an episode of The Vampire Diaries.

I still think they should've made a video game sequel to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I really want a series of webisodes starring Jessica the Reaper. Just mostly silent stuff of her invisibly monitoring Sam and Dean in the bunker, being slightly amused at their embarrassing private moments.