Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, same with the other people on the show if you watched the special. They said they would keep doing it forever if they let them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

joebuddah posted:

This was an amazing episode. They managed to casually show every weapon in clue except for the noose. I am really enjoying the return to the monster of the week.

Rope was hanging on the wall when Dean opened the attic door and he picked it up and looked at it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

cool kids inc. posted:

I guess I'm just hoping for the Mark not being dropped entirely.

Are we watching the same show? The Mark is far from dropped, that was the whole point of dean unloading a full clip into the shape shiftier and they couldn't have telegraphed it more from the "previously on" segment before the episode that focused on Dean being injected with human blood.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sam and Dean need to start wearing helmets or the writers need to come up with better ways for them to get captured.

This sequence has been used way too much:

1) Sneak up on someone bad
2) Gesture to the other brother that you see bad person
3) Look back, bad person gone
4) Oh poo poo, they are behind us
5) Knockout punch! Wake up tied up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ravane posted:

Uh no, I'm pretty sure it's a reference to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

No, I'm pretty sure it's not. This episode would have been in the can months before that AS special aired.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Considering I watched Supernatural between the awesome sandwich that was the Flash mid-season finale and Agents of Shield mid-season finale, it was basically a wet fart.

I appreciate the Cas story and think it's due because what the Angels did always got glossed over but I just don't feel like it's going anywhere. The whole thing just seemed like a setup for Dean to slaughter a bunch of unsympathetic (but human) people. It would have paid off better if Randy wouldn't give her up and make a deal and the guy went for her anyways. Then there would have been at least one in the body count that the audience could have felt squeamish about.

As for Dean, we knew he was going to lost control, that basically had to happen. It just didn't happen in an interesting way. It also didn't happen in a way that makes me sit on the edge of my seat waiting for the 2nd half of the season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cas getting his grace back was awesome.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Why do I get the feeling that the Rowena deal may end up destroying the honeycomb hideout?

I mean, her ultimate goal is to go after what's left of the men of letters for 'witch' reasons.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yaos posted:

Watching the new episode now. I hope they explain why that girl decided to grab a hammer and randomly break through a wall to discover a safe she was surprised to find and had no idea what it was.

Not much to explain. She was mad at her family and the wall was already marked for demolition so she took out her frustration by smashing something.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 23, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think he could have healed the wound, but the issue is her soul was depleted by the angel eating it. He couldn't fix that so she would have died anyways.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 7, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The significant Rowena stuff with Charlie this episode leads me to believe she'll eventually be back in some capacity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yaos posted:

This last episode had a random demon teleport into Crowley's lair after he yelled for somebody and then the demon walked out.

I think Crowley brought him there though as he looked surprised to be there. He was the demon that Crowley told not to come back until he found his mother.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kinda interested to see where they are going with Dean's arc because his character may have crossed the irredeemable line tonight.

Took me forever to place the kid, he played Kenny on Being Human (US).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Him killing Sam's organ eating friend was way more psycho than him killing the last heir of the frankensteins.

The kid wanted nothing to do with the family, was planning on running away, and was otherwise just a normal every day human. Aside from the fact that his father made him carve up that bully, he's about as innocent as any that's been murdered in cold blood by the brothers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He also shivved that dude who wanted his wife dead and made the deal with Crowley.

He was an actual demon at that point though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Darko posted:

edit: Oh, no big deal, they just broke the universe.

They really did this time. I can't believe they actually managed to raise the stakes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blazing Ownager posted:

When Dean killed death I was just going ".... why?" It's not that I liked the character, I did, but.. why? loving why??!

Can't be sure, but I'm going to go with "It was the mark."

Death said the mark became self aware. Since it was the lock against the darkness and it knew Sam was working to remove it, it influenced Dean to remove Death from the playing field so it could b unlocked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing that I'm having trouble reconciling here with the stakes being this high is it's making the earth too universe-centric.

Death and God on this show have always been something that could be universe spanning. You could easily say "Oh, we're only seeing Earth's part of this story. God already had this apocalypse thing pan out on Cygnus 158b. This is earth's turn to go through this trial." God could have just been going around all over the universe with little life experiments.

But, since the mark is something that was sent to earth as the key to hold back the darkness which was universe spanning, you can infer that the earth is God's only project. It makes things feel kinda small. Basically, they always let things be lose enough that you could simultaneously say all the judeo-christian religion stuff is true but that there could also be more out there. This storyline seems to be more rigidly defining things.

It's not going to take away my enjoyment of the show, but it changes it a bit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Here's one thing I don't fully understand either. Didn't Cain retain the mark after he gave it to Dean? I could have sworn it was more of a copy than a transfer.

I mean, if it's the case that all the marks are linked and you can't destroy one without destroying them all, I can accept that, but that part seemed a little muddy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I want to see the earthly aftermath of that smite though, sounded like it world be similar to a nuke going off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wouldn't mind a storyline where all the surviving MoL legacies teamed up to kick the Winchesters out of the bunker for misusing all the info to dig the world into deeper after deeper hole.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sunscreen

It seems like any vampire lore that involves slower burning times rather than instant vaporization can use sunscreen to go outside. See also Blade.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Only supernatural could make a Brazil and Fugitive reference in the same scene.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Now Lucifer is quoting Nelson.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They mention Lilith, so season 3/4.

Holy poo poo, that plotline doesn't seem like so long ago, but drat, it is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

McSpanky posted:

I never found this to be a paradox, myself. I mean, did George Washington have free will 240 years ago when he decided whether or not to cross the Potomac? To us that's an immutable fact of history, as unchanging and solid as gravity. But when it happened in the present of that moment it was a choice with infinite repercussions, just like every choice made a billion times a second right now.

I imagine omniscience is like having this perspective but at the end of time, about everything that ever happened. Just because God knows what's going to happen doesn't mean it couldn't have happened another way at the time, and that doesn't preclude the ability to make a meaningful choice before the moment actually occurs.

The paradox happens if the omniscient entity decides to share what happens in the future. If god tells me that I'm going to die chocking on my dinner tonight, I might decide to fast. Before god told me that would happen, it's just as immutable to him as the Potomac crossing is to us. After he told me, free will and predestination go into direct conflict. If I don't eat anything (and therefore don't choke), you can hardly call god omniscient. If I get caught in some sort of Final Destination thing where I somehow can't escape dinner, free will goes right out the window at that point.

Though, you can also take this to the logical conclusion. God is capable of realizing all infinite potentialities, perceiving the whole sort of general mish mash. He prefers the version of the future where I don't choke at dinner that particular night, so he lets me know. Still technically free will since I could chose to take my chance and eat anyways. God is also still omniscient since he saw all the versions of the future where I did and didn't choke.

So, he could know everything that could ever possibly happen (and as time marches forward, the possibilities narrow) and people could still have general free will. That also explains why he doesn't react to talking behind his back. He sees infinite instances in which this happened, so why stress over it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm pretty sure the mom thing is just going to be another "she's back, but something is wrong with her" thing like they did with the grandfather and basically anyone that has come back from the dead. Or she will be killed early in the season, maybe by the men of letters, causing the guys to be extra angsty next season. Things never end well for family members (or friends for that matter) of the Winchesters.

The only thing this time is that she was brought back as a sincere thank you by one of only two beings that could do so with no strings attached. It wasn't the result of some dumb hail Mary attempt or some evil thing loving with them.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sigh, for the 2nd season in the row the sound is absolute poo poo. I don't know if it's my affiliate or what, but I'm not really noticing it on other CW shows. The sound is clipping like crazy, leading to crackling all over the place and is annoying as hell. Last year I got around it by watching the show on Hulu, but obviously that isn't an option this year. I could always use their new CW app, but, sigh, commercials.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kangarookie posted:

Is It not on Hulu this year?

No CW shows are on Hulu this year. The deal is over.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

McSpanky posted:

The new deal is with Netflix, putting the whole season up shortly after the finale, right?

Yup, the new deal is that Netflix will have the full new season of the CW shows 8 days after the season concludes.

The new CW app is actually pretty drat good as far as streaming quality goes and is a pretty decent tradoff to hulu (especially since it's free), but I had commercial free Hulu so I'm not too anxious about going back to ADs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I contemplated doing it simply because Netflix is a hell of a lot higher quality than any cable source, but I relented. I still might for a few other shows on the network to keep my watching plate a bit less during the season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It will be amusing if the MoL leadership pull in the Winchesters as a bid to control US hunters and get access to the MoL vault but the Winchesters have such an underground cult following from UK hunter crowd that they end up pulling off a coup.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I love how excited they were that they literally got to kill Hitler.

Also, amazing episode name.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know what, that was just a flat out solid good episode and it even managed to setup a few things.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just started watching this episode and was like "Oh awesome! A cool new character they are establishing that's actually a hunter. Maybe they finally learned! He can join the team, hell, maybe he and their mother might reconnect due to the age stasis and...

.. loving dead.

The name of the episode was "Celebrating the Life of Asa Fox", you should have known as soon as the boy said his name that he was dead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

An interesting way for them to end the series is to legitimize hunters, bring them into law enforcement.

They don't have to go public about it, but it seems like monster containment is something that needn't stay an underground organization. With resources and access, you could do far more.

Hell, they could do a whole season of Sam and Dean being asked to ride behind a desk to help setup the organization. That also gives them their spin-off opportunity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No comment on tonight's episode?

I thought it was fantastic. They really did a great job in setting up a new chapter here and I have to admit they actually faked me out with their mom there at the end before Cas stepped in.

I wonder what "cosmic consequences" there are going to be this time though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It would be funny if the "cosmic consequences" are that the Winchesters can't die anymore. We know that Billie has said before that the next death is it, that she was going to hurtle the soul into the abyss and it can never come back.

Well, what if she 'hacked' the universe to accomplish this (bypassing the normal soul progression when dead). Without her, the soul has no direction and just stays put.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This was pretty much a Tarantino homage with the non-linear storytelling right down to the glowing mcguffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I liked Rowena's "He's not like us, he believes in things."