Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just discovered this show during the summer and binged my way thru the 8 seasons on Netflix, I managed to catch a few S9 episodes though.

Really fun show, surprised I had never really heard much about it.

I live near a bunch of the filming locations too, I walk my dogs regularly where they filmed the LARPing episode. I remember that section of the park closed off for it but I didn't really know about the show so it wasn't very exciting at the time. Now it's pretty weird going into New Westminster, most of the episodes set in cities involving urban decay are filmed there. Because it's a loving dump! Suck it New West! t:mad:

Anyway how is S9, worth tracking down the episodes I've missed or just wing it into S10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Geez didn't anyone tell that guy "living well is the best revenge"? :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That guy seemed too short to be a badass SF operator. Perhaps he is the guy they send into the tunnels like a heavily armed ferret?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Haha I had no idea Ackles was 6'1", I thought he would be under 6' like most actors seem to be. I knew Padalecki was tall but drat he's like, huge.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dean got off easy being cured, he didn't do too much bad stuff apart from killing Lester but that guy was a dick anyway.

That demon the MoL cured had eaten a baby, that would have been pretty hard to deal with after being humanized!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm not a huge fan of Charlie by hopefully it will be an episode involving cosplay again so we can revel in the barely contained glee Dean has when allowed to play dressup.

Dude just loves that poo poo, cracks me up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fun episode. I followed along with Jensen Ackles and Misha Collins livetweeting which was pretty neat too.

I thought it was pretty slick how they had the play within the show being put on by an all-girls school, due to the main complaint about the show being the lack of main female roles.. Granted it's just a one off though so I dunno if too much can be read into that. Dean catching himself after doing the "Jerk" "Bitch" retorts was good. Perhaps Dean will be less apt to use the term on pretty much every female now? Hmm..

Man that would be pretty cool if they try to bust out Adam but then how messed up would he be by this point? Maybe Michael is able to protect him from Lucifer..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think that was the point where I truly started appreciating Jensen Ackles and his comedic gifts. Although the signs were there mostly all along (him boogying to the radio on "Mystery Spot" was another fav)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ehh still having a lot of trouble believing Cole is a badass SF dude.

I actually liked the Castiel/Hannah part the best this episode. The show kind of glosses over the amount of damage that is done just incidentally by even the good characters to otherwise complete innocent bystanders and I wonder if they'll examine that some more.

Wondering what Cas is gonna do now, now that he's thinking about that stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Emy posted:

This is the most regard the show's given for the fate of a demon or angel's vessel in like 5 seasons.

Yeah the one thing that always kind of bugged me about the show, is the utter disregard for the "little people". Man if you're not one of the primary characters life is nasty, brutal and short.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

computer parts posted:

Because it owns.

:agreed:

Still really entertaining TV week to week.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That would be a great idea for another meta/comedy episode - Sam and Dean in their 50s still hunting, and saying stuff like "tulpas AGAIN??"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kinda bummed Hannah is out, I liked her.

I find myself remembering some of the horrible poo poo that Crowley has done, like all the extra prophets being killed etc, and I am very torn about liking the character :ohdear:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jiro posted:

The Bobby episode is probably one of the Top 5 episodes of the series, just because you aren't dealing with any whiny Winchester bullshit or the whole Samless thing. Oh and because Rufus is secretly the father of Black Dynamite.

Rufus was loving awesome and that episode was hilarious. Steven Williams owns.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh man the cartoon one, that was very cool. I loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit as a kid.

One that sticks with me for some reason is the one where Dean goes back to the boy's home he was put in when John ditched him for gambling away the food money. It was a real throwback episode, could have worked in the first season even but being familiar with Dean already gave it a bit more of an emotional heft. A good non-comedy/non-storyline episode for sure.

edit: oh that was season 9, not 8.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just watched the PVR'd show, nice one! I like Jodi and the other Sheriff, Donna, is growing on me.

Fun factoid, the Sheriff retreat hotel is the Swiss Mountain Club just outside of Vancouver: http://scmra.ca/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Chicken Doodle posted:

The interior shots were filmed in the German hall on Victoria and 33rd. I know cause I just went for awesome amounts of schnitzel there. :eng101:

Hah I was thinking that too since the interior looked too big for the Swiss club.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As Donna would say: "That there's just a happy co-inky dink yah? *big grin*"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Can someone tl;dr it cause I'm not wasting 11 mins of my life watching adult swim.

It's a send up of sitcom intro titles and it goes on and morphs into other shows. It's quite funny (but then I like adult swim)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I keep wondering when the show is going to destroy the Men of Letters bunker, frankly I'm surprised they haven't already. That's usually the way with the shows like that, let them get comfortable then WHAM oh back on the road with a life in sucky motels.

It's a cool set and I think they should keep it just surprises me they have.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

I think it's a lot easier on the production to have a standing set they can film a number of scenes at for any given episode.

Yeah it looks fantastic, they did a great job on putting it together.

I like how they keep "finding" extra stuff.. "we have a garage??" :haw:

The magical nature of the Men of Letters can make for some nifty stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I remember hearing that the bunker is one of the most extensive sets they've built for the show, so they're trying to get their money's worth.

Makes sense, I had thought it was an actual location for a bit before realizing that probably didn't make a lot of sense. Makes me want my own fancy magic bunker.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GreenNight posted:

No, it stays boring for 10 seasons.

The best answer :laugh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The dog episode was bad but by god Jensen Ackles sold the hell out of his performance. Worth watching for that alone.

Had at least two laugh out loud bits for me anyway.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For me the biggest suspension of disbelief in the series is how utterly incompetent/clueless all levels of the government and law enforcement are. With the exception of Henriksen, they're all completely out to lunch and fooled by Sam and Dean every drat time. That and there never seems to be any sort of investigations into why towns disappear completely or hundreds of people stab each other with freaky angel blades.

I accept it as part of the universe but it is kind of humourous really ;)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, that's Henriksen like I mentioned :shobon:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just don't understand why they tacked on that ending with Lillith, it would have been a great, satisfying episode without it. Instead it just feels lovely. Which I guess was the plan to play Lillith as an unstoppable force for evil etc blah blah but still, I found it annoying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh this is a Charlie episode? Yay.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Charlie isn't really a character, she's just an Internet persona slapped on screen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was hoping Hansel would get tossed in the oven so he could yell "HANSEL'S SO HOT RIGHT NOW" but that would be a silly reference.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

On the other side of the scale the woman who played Neeson's daughter in the Taken series was fooling nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

raditts posted:

I'm not even sure how old we're supposed to think the daughter is in the second and third movies.

I looked up how much older Famke is than Maggie grace, and was shocked to find Famke is now 50 (Grace is 31 so plausible at least). I would not have guessed that!!