Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This is how they pump the brakes on power creep, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Junior G-man posted:

I want Mark Pellegrino back. He was so much more fun as Lucifer.

Why don't they have him, anyway?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Most of the hunters we've seen are pretty dysfunctional people. Can you imagine 10 of them in a kitchen together, trying to get along? That isn't necessarily bad television, it would just mean interpersonal problems would be the main plot rather than the seasoning. :v:

10 people all stupidly keeping secrets from each other.

That would be a great excuse for not furthering the main plot, though.

Astroman posted:

Doing training with inexperienced hunters would make the reasoning for MOTW episodes more sensible than the spurious "Hey Dean/Sam, we're getting nowhere with research/finding Cas/finding Amara, let's go on a hunt!" :haw:

Yeah, this.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, but what happens next season if they do that? What's more powerful or evil than God and His sister?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah, it'd probably half a season of begging to keep watching cause of mortgages for the various leads, and then begging for it to end.

Still, SO HAPPY THAT THEY OFFICIALLY MADE IT CANON ABOUT CHUCK.

I should hope that Jared and Jensen own their houses outright by now.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would call that a fan theory, because it was just a thing that happened in the show ages ago. :confused:

I hated pretty much this whole episode. God should be so alien that trying to understand him or his motives is a waste of time. Making him so human and understandable makes him nonsensical. If he doesn't have some grand plan beyond mortal understanding, then what has he been doing all this time?

*makes eye contact with you, sings "What If God Was One Of Us" while nodding meaningfully and never breaking eye contact.*

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I guess if they really want to keep going with this show everything needs a reset, Infinite Crisis/Secret Wars style.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

So, when he says he doesn't intervene because free will, humans have to be allowed to choose for themselves, whatever, why does no one say "Uh, OK so why all the monsters? What the gently caress is that about?"

Humans can choose to be some hosed up things, such as demons. Lilith made sex with Adam, after all...

I dunno, you make some good points but also, you know, maybe it's not the end of the world they're gearing up for a reboot?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

You're a good person. If you got hit by a truck right now, you'd go to heaven. But instead of a truck it's a vampire, and now you've got an uncontrollable urge to kill and eat people and when you die you're going to purgatory, which is basically a lesser hell. Free will?

You're not a good person. You're hell-bound, but you're not a psychopath. You get to hell and psychopaths with super powers torture you until you're just like them, and then you get super powers too. Free will?

Your parents are werewolves, so you're also a werewolf. You're going to purgatory. Free will?

Sometimes you get dealt a bum hand and it turns out you're actually not the special snowflake that your mom said you were and everything, in fact, isn't going to be all right.

You still have free will.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 14, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

To be fair, destruction isn't his sphere of influence. He's a Creator god, his sister is the force for destruction. His go to solution seems to be locking things in cages. Sister is trouble, so stick her in a cage. Leviathans are trouble, so stick them in a cage. Lucifer is getting uppity, so stick him in a cage. That one angel failed to do his job in the garden of eden, stick him in a cage too. Monster souls don't fit in either heaven or hell? Stick 'em in a cage.

Matter can not be created or destroyed, it can only change (in a cage).

So... despite all their rage, they are (figuratively) still just a rat in a cage?

Then someone will say what is lost can never be saved, I bet.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone read seasons 8, 9 and 10 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? It's been a fairly effective reboot after the show ended with all the Slayers ever.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Because God said so. Sometimes horrible things happen to relatively decent people and that's just how it is.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Or even worse, Humanity Isn't That Special, Sorry Humanity.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
A soul is just another internal organ, like a pancreas or liver.

Once the offending condition is removed, it grows back.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, I just looked up Ruth Connell and as far as I'm concerned she can say "Feargus" as much as she wants.

I'm not sorry.

God isn't dead, you guys. There's hope.

Probably gonna do a full-on Jesus thing at some point. Neither of those two can be perma-killed, or the show will end. And we all know that will never happen.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dean's gonna stab her again, but he'll mean it this time.

But also both God and Amara must be alive for the world to continue, unless God is a liar.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I think it was too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Whatever happened to the Steins, anyway? Aren't they still around?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

I'm pretty sure Dean killed them all but I can't remember why

bobkatt013 posted:

The mark and killing Charlie

Dean killed an entire world-spanning secret society bloodline? I mean, I know he killed a lot of them.

I see them as the HYDRA to the Men of Letters' SHIELD, as there are many parallels there. Just my opinion, however.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 2, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What, like they should have done with the Ghost Facers?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Because Rowena is pretty and that's enough for B-television.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
She sounds like an annoying mom who Crowley wishes would shut the hell up; she's a good actress in that regard, annoying as it might be for some people.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well. That's unfortunate.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GobiasIndustries posted:

Also I just want to say Crowley's mom is completely horrible

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GobiasIndustries posted:

Does she get better? I'm still on S10.

Her actress is doing an excellent job. You may hate the character, but that may be the point.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Ownager posted:

Like most of the other characters, she's been super inconsistent in behavior. She went from attempt at serious powerhouse to total loving joke that's like a moderately more murder prone Disney villain. These days she's mostly just sad and pathetic ("MEGA COVEN!") except she happens to have stolen a McGuffin book.

I really liked early Crowley. Ever since the whole gates-of-hell thing he's been a shadow of himself. He used to be the professional alternative to the devil; he seemed to like the arrangement with heaven just fine and wanted to keep the ship running. The gag of him making a waiting line to get in hell that lasts hundreds of years were prefect. Somewhere along the line he became a total sad sack who loves to say he's the king of hell while never, ever wanting to do any of that king stuff. It's really jarring.

One of the things that really brought me into the early show, and I held up as the thing that made some episodes actually tense, is that supporting characters had a 50/50 live/die chance. I liked that a ton, in fact; the heroes couldn't always save everyone. It made real tension when they faced a serious threat with innocents, because you knew they might not pull it off (even if you knew they themselves wouldn't die in a random episode). It made you actually happy to see someone survive, and go "drat it" when somebody died.

Then the show decided it had to kill every single person they ever met. gently caress, there was even an episode where Crowley literally murdered half the people they saved. Also, I think that was the precise moment they dropped "Saving people" from their "Killing monsters, saving people" tagline. gently caress they might have even dropped the the monsters part and just changed the tag line to "Killing things." They now have about a 1% rate of success, and if you luck out and survive, the show will go out of it's way to dig up the character and kill them later. It's lame.

It's like they remembered the old Hunter: The Reckoning bit but learned the wrong lessons from it.

Facebook Aunt posted:

At this point the writers may just be taking the piss and trying to create a character that is unshippable.

Don't speak that way about my wifu ever again.

:colbert:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Rowena has so much makeup caked on that she looks older than the actress playing her.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mad Dragon posted:

This is Ruth Connell. She doesn't look 50 to me.

:swoon:

Like I said, Rowena is caked in makeup.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My sister married one of those guys what sounds cartoony. Like Scrooge McDuck!

Also as a child I watched a lot of PBS and no cable (what's an "Aggro-Crag?" Seriously. What is it. Did Clarissa actually explain it all? Cable TV for children is apparently this spawning ground for pretty but questionably talented people, as far as I know) which meant lots and lots of BBC shows they were able to rebroadcast for cheap.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 23, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I can't insult a thing I don't know exists!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Eh, he MIGHT still be able to be shivved with ruby's knife, cause it is magic(al).

But yea, having them in a comic universe would be kinda hilarious, because literally everyone is pretty much bullet proof or stab proof. That's like 99% of their go to "stop the bad guy" moves.

Holy poo poo, can you imagine if a demon got inside Barry?

I read that comic in the Amalgam days. It wasn't that bad!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AFewBricksShy posted:

Thanks, I'll continue going through it. Rowena is awful though.

She's delightful.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The main "problem" with Rowena is that she's an annoying character by design (the Devil'sKing Of Hell's emasculating mom? Hi-larious!) played by a good actress.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

M E G A C O V E N

:getin:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Astroman posted:

Get hype!

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/supernatural/ruth-connell-returning-to-supe-66474.aspx

:swoon:

:discourse:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yep I was going to say. I liked all the characters there except for the one they focus on the most, who is the worst actor by a league and the least interesting character to boot. It's like they're scared to focus it on the older women in the set, when they are the real draw.

Also I can't be the only one who wanted the soundtrack to start screaming "GO GO POWER SISSSSTERSSSS" every single time those monsters showed up? The way they jumped around and moved making those sounds made me laugh every time.

Actually that irked me a bit because I felt like the writers literally were just writing Dean and shoving it into her mouth. Like literally it could have been a body switching episode.

Plus she can't pull off the cocky thing well, like at all.

I never don't want the soundtrack to go GO GO POWER X where X is the name of the thing I'm watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Castiel is (loosely) Hebrew for "shielded by God" and has been in use for at least 600 years. It's not made up purely for the show... but that kid is gonna get that Kansas song sung at him a LO, yeah.

Names ending in "-iel" mean (loosely) "of God."

Daniel is "judged by God" or "God is my judge."
Nathaniel is "God has given."
Ariel is "Lion of God."
Etc.