Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Something just occurred to me, this show is one season away from being the longest running sci-fi/fantasy show in the US. If you don't count Dr. Who, the longest running prime time sci-fi/fantasy show ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I love the idea that Dean was a serious threat to Crowley because of the First Blade. Dean was one of the most powerful things on the planet now thanks to that blade and Crowley was desperately trying to convince him that he was a subordinate demon.

Plus the little bit about Crowley having a "best friend" and missing him. They just keep adding layers.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 15, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Merlinicus posted:

Wait, Caine became a hermit basically, right? How does that fit with the "need to feed the mark by killing people or else" version of the story that Dean was(/is?) facing. Or did Cain regularly take murder field trips?

Managed to give up killing by abstaining for centuries, agreed to start murdering the poo poo out of some demons because he knew Dean would take the mark.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Didn't you guys even watch the episode? He was redeemed by the Power of Love. Duh. Dean just needs to meet the right girl hang out with Crowley more and everything will be fine.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This episode was mindbogglingly good. I've never seen a meta episode done as well as this. I cannot wait for the cast commentary on the DVD.

I will never get tired of the 2 actors mocking the gay shipping in the fandom either.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wow, that was a boring episode. That reeked of "poo poo, need to fill time, drag in one of the extremely minor characters from seasons back"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

|Ziggy| posted:

Crowley was cured of his demon stuff and turned back into normal Crowley with time. I don't understand why they thought Dean would be any different.

Castiel coming to realize that every Angel manifesting has destroyed a family is something that's a long time coming. Yeah, many of them took a vessel because there was a major war between Heaven and Hell and they needed to fight, but after Lucifer and Micheal were sealed, almost everything the Angels have done is nothing more political squabbles and power games from factions trying to grab the top spot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

And by extension gently caress you, every other genre show in history. If S11 is a full order and the last season, Supernatural will finish on 241 episodes.

Also, not likely to be the last season. It's their flagship series and until the actors playing Sam and Dean start getting gray hair they'll probably keep getting renewed. Bloodlines was a disaster because they lost everything that made Supernatural a cool show and tried to replace it with sexy monsters running Chicago gangland style. Even how Sam and Dean was contrary to 9 years of their established characters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Saveron_01 posted:

If they sold their soul for witch powers, then it is a direct route to Hell. Natural/Students of magic would depend on how good and/or evil they were before dying, then go to Heaven/Hell. They are not properly monsters in the strict sense of the word, they are still human.

All this witch talk just makes me miss the magical couple from season 7 even more. They dropped Leviathans like it was child's play, and maybe if the actors they cast had been regular run of the mill nobodies they could've brought them back for recurring roles.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, they finally found something worse then Felicia Day acting like nerd gamer girl. Felicia Day trying to act like an evil badass.

I'm apparently the only one who doesn't think Felicia Day is a convincing actress though.

quote:

Charlie's come back from the Oz war broken in two. It's a great chance for Day to show off her acting range as well as some sweet knife handling skills. And kudos to Supernatural, a show that seems to take the road-well traveled a few too many times (brotherly secrets, angsty fights and big bads) for finding so many different things to do with her. Charlie retains the same adorkable charm, but she's never the same character twice

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 28, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

This is like three episodes in a row where I watched the whole thing and can't remember them the next day. Nothing of any importance is happening and this is more or less the same poo poo we've been seeing for 3-4 seasons now. I feel like I want to get off this ride but I don't know if I can. I usually ride these shows out until the bitter end(Dexter, Sons of Anarchy), but here there is no end in sight. This poo poo could go on for another 4 or 5 seasons, I can't hang on for that long.

Since season 9 was the last of a 3 year guarantee (7/8/9) and season 10 was a holy poo poo we're coming back they can't write insanely detailed stories stretching across multiple seasons because they don't know if they'll get cancelled, so everything they do needs a quick way to wrap up and give a good series finale. Since CW renewed this show so early it might be a sign they're willing to do another multi-season promise so the writers can stop spinning their wheels and avoiding adding anything to big.

By this point last season we were already full into the Angel civil war happening on Earth, Metatron playing both sides, and Kevin getting killed. All of that required the groundwork being laid in the previous season in order for them introduce it in season 9. For now, season 10 started out as demon Dean and Crowley palling around, something I wish they had stuck with but given the inital worry that season 10 would be the last wanted to set it up so that Dean could lose the mark and give up being a hunter while Sam becomes the new Bobby to the next generation of hunters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Charlie episodes have gotten really...not good.

I wonder why the meta episodes have actually stayed pretty good but the Charlie episodes haven't.

My first thought when I saw Dark Charlie was "jesus who did she blow to get this written" which is pretty hosed up, but based on how they keep bringing her back I can only guess someone high up on the show really likes her and just makes sure she gets parts where she gets to be a big hero who saves the day(ish). It doesn't help that the internet loves her and thinks her "adorkable" acting is in anyway noteworthy or good. The loving IGN review looks like it was written by a 15 year old fanfic author.

Her introduction episode was a big deal because internet famous nerd girl gets a part got the show a lot of free press, and have her play herself basically was tolerable, but then the Larp episode, the Oz episode(and her tragic backstory), and this is nothing but garbage with very little in the episodes to redeem them.

The meta episodes on the other hand seem to be a concentrated effort by everyone working on the show to have a blast mocking their own fans, which probably adds to the quality.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

"The river ends at the source". It's obvious that only Cain can remove the Mark.

He probably won't. The whole idea is it's Cain's chance to be free from his existence and make someone else bear the burden. Cain did say he managed to keep the mark under control for centuries after he went pacifistic and married the woman he loved.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KilGrey posted:

With the Winchesters history with women, Dean is hosed.

Dean has been in serious love before, but gave up on it to save Sam. The whole ending to the original series was Dean going back to the woman he loved and settling down and becoming a family man. That plot evaporated 3 episodes in to season 6 and has never been mentioned since.

Oroborus posted:

Didn't either God or Lucifer give Cain the mark? Wouldn't that make them the source not Cain?

It'd be awesome if the season finale they realize they have to open the cage to kill Lucifer or find a way to kill God.

Lucifer and Micheal just show up, realize God has taken off, and just go "gently caress it, let's do whatever we want" and pal around the world making up for lost time. Gabriel shows up to poo poo talk them, get drunk, and explain the in and outs of human culture while getting them to embarrass themselves constantly.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 3, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The kid they got to play Young Dean did a surprisingly good job mimicking Dean's speech, mannerisms, and facial expressions. I almost hoped that they'd have him in the role for a few episodes while they look for an alternate way to remove the mark.

HOLY poo poo MRS. PATMORE! This was literally the last show I expected a member of the Downton Abbey cast to show up, much less as a crazy evil version of of her Downton role.

Well, at least now we have our meta-plot. The worldwide association of old school crazy European/Russian witches are now getting involved.

And god drat that Taylor Swift song at the end was perfect. Is that the most current music they've ever used? All I remember is classic rock.

edit: Looks like it was a joking reference to Padalecki dissing Taylor Swift on Twitter a few months ago.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 4, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Man, that kid killed that role. I wonder how much time he and Jensen spent working on speech patterns and mannerisms.

He was in the last season as actual young Dean. He might've pulled off a convincing "Dean" on set as a joke and got asked to be Dean in a teenage body for season 10 or something. Literally every review of the show I've read talks about how insanely good the kid was. If he's lucky he'll get tapped for another CW show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It was a weak episode, but I did love how excited Dean was by eating in a college cafeteria and his general ignorance about the modern tech age.

"Come on Sam, we can't kill the internet...Can we?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A real great episode after a few week ones. It was pretty much carried by Omundson though and his performance was stellar.

Rowana is still the weakest part of the show by far, and I wish they'd resolve her storyline quickly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Merlinicus posted:

There was a glimmer of hope when it seemed like Crowley had just been playing along to see what she wanted, but I think I read into that scene too much by the way it turned out at the end of the episode.

Also I'm going to point out that we didn't REALLY see Cain die. Just backstabbed. For all we know he's still alive, really, especially with this show.

No, I'm pretty sure they had Dean kill Cain as the "this is what you'll become" stinger. Right now, the only difference between them was that Dean still had his brother to help him fight the mark, but eventually it would overwhelm him and he'd kill Sam in a fit of rage, making him Cain 2.0

I did love the writing for Cain, especially when he was explaining it to Castiel. "At most, 1 in 10" was such a great line when you realize that Cain is talking about literally killing people one by one to exterminate his lineage.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yaos posted:

What was with Cain very slowly killing his descendants? He claimed he wanted to kill them all, which he thought was 10% of the population, but he was going at a rate of less than one a day, so he would probably kill less of them in a year than any non-supernatural cause of death. He was killing people directly related to each other, so I guess he had to go through birth records to find them. What a chore.

He wasn't in a hurry at all, he had all the time in the world. Even with diminishing returns it would guarantee he'd have bodies to drop for centuries or more to feed the mark. Even if he got bored and just teleported around killing a person every few minutes (causing mass chaos and panic) it would still take a ton of time.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For what is worth, producers and writers said that Gabriel is alive.

Gabriel is probably one of the few "dead" characters that if they brought back via a convoluted reason no one would care because he's so much fun to watch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Surprised there hasn't been any action on the thread tonight.

Tonight's episode was pretty good. Not terrific and a bit heavy handed, but still, nice to see the show sliding back into the "monster of the week" type plots instead of OMG APOCALYPSE AGAIN.

For a while the motw dragged the show down during the peak of the Lucifer arc, but since they're been trying to avoid multi-season serialization since they haven't been guarenteed more then a season at a time some of the motw episodes from season 7 onward have been really good. The golem episode was amazing and I'm still mad they haven't brought that character back.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"We have a problem, the Bobby's are surly. Repeat, the Bobby's are surly."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, uh, Crowley had an interesting past.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Finally, a decent Charlie episode. It helped that she was relatively minor to the plot and we got some fantastic Cas/Metatron scenes.

This may just be me forgetting some of the darker early seasons, but they are hitting the melodrama insanely hard with this episode, and finally it seems like Rowana is going to become actually important.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 16, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Outside of the recent, completely random introduction of the Watcher Angels the power creep hasn't really been that bad. We went from regular monsters to a few demons here and there, then tons of demons and angels showing up, followed by Micheal and Lucifer (who were two huge exceptions) and then Leviathans. The Leviathans were done fairly well as the new superpower but given they lasted only one season it seems like a waste.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Death did hold a grudge against Sam for something. Death being petty seems pretty in character for him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mcswizzle posted:

That Michael and/or Lucifer was trying to get a message out, presumably about the darkness

It just gives them a reason to bring back Mark Pellegrino. He can escape from the cage, "possess" Sam to keep the Darkness away, and just ham it up as long as he likes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That's was one of the best episodes in years. Hopefully they're really trying to do something unique this season because this episode was nothing like anything they've done in the past 11 years.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

coyo7e posted:

holy poo poo I watched four seasons of this show ages ago but it fell off the rails and kept one-upping itself with two dudes pulling one over on angels and demons at whim, breaking magic contracts and poo poo. Now I find out it's been going on for another seven seasons. How far down the hole could it possibly be?

"'Cat's cradle' Vonnegut or 'slaughterhouse five' Vonnegut?" :laugh:

It's seesawed pretty hard since then. Season 5 was loving amazing. 6 was dogshit, and the consensus has been that 7-10 were on a whole decent but not great with some awful, awful loving parts (Sam and Dean constantly lying to each other and pulling the "we're family!" line). The Leviathans were a cool concept burned off in one season and as a whole the show has seemed like its been too worried about renewal to try any major multi-season arcs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

That like a season 3 episode or something. Best in a long while.

4 episodes and we've already seen some massive changes to the format of the last few years, all for the better. It's mindblowing that 11 years in now all of a sudden they're really taking major risks with the types of episodes they're doing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Supernatural's strongest season in years keeps running all cylinders.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"Smiting Sickness"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Mark Pellegrino's face when the music kicked in was 100% perfect. He really loves this role.

Also, holy poo poo Mischa Collins can act. Looks like all those scenes playing a murdering psychopath paid off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wxyfMCCNb0

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 21, 2016

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

scorpiobean posted:

Yeah if the literal devil was telling the truth

That's one of the things about Satan/Lucifer in modern storytelling. He never lies because he doesn't really have to.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Titan posted:

A Bobby and Rufus hunting spin off would have been great. Same thing with a Garth spin off (including his safe houseboat!)

I liked the episode a lot. Reminded the viewer just how close Bobby and the brothers were with Bobby referring to them as his boys all the time. Dean seeing him in the nest and having that revelation that it really could have been Bobby and not an illusion was a nice touch.

11 years in they know they've made some great characters and plots that got moved past and never again mentioned. The one I'm waiting for is the "Monsters run Chicago" backdoor pilot that got shut down where Sam and Dean go back to Chicago, team up with every living character they've ever worked with and murder the poo poo out of all those monsters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Misha Barton is a incredibly good actor and I'd say wasted on this show but he clearly loves everything about it.

"We make the heart choice instead of the smart choice"

Way to sum up 11 years of Supernatural, Sam. Good line.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Okay, but what happens next season if they do that? What's more powerful or evil than God and His sister?

Sam and Dean roaming the states/world, teaching a new generation of hunters how to hunt and rebuilding the Men of Letters with the best of them. Basically a victory lap of a season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would call that a fan theory, because it was just a thing that happened in the show ages ago. :confused:

I hated pretty much this whole episode. God should be so alien that trying to understand him or his motives is a waste of time. Making him so human and understandable makes him nonsensical. If he doesn't have some grand plan beyond mortal understanding, then what has he been doing all this time?

So a show that has spent 6-7 years avoiding bringing God into the equation (while bringing it up constantly) dropped the ball because they didn't make him a completely alien and unknowable being?

That's some personal theological bullshit, and it makes a terrible story if put into play. Literally every being of power is shown to be relate-able to humanity in some way, but shockingly God is the one exception? (and you don't seem to complain about his sister being the same)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Everyone thinks he's going to merge with Imara but I think it's getting increasingly obvious he will merge, instead, with Lucifer. It fits in with their whole "He didn't help / he helped" thing; we've seen being-merging over and over this season.

Or he goes to where-ever is next with Imara, gives the Chuck suit to Lucifer, Castiel is back, and now Chu-cifer has to run the family business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

computer parts posted:

I legitimately expected that they'd break Sam out at the end of that episode, so good job with the suspense. I'm betting he'll be free by the end of Ep 3 though.

Also I'm getting the sense that the Men of Letters are going to turn into allies by about midseason when Lucifer comes back.

This part of the plot will never make any sense in the show world. Sam and Dean have been dealing with and fighting world ending events for years now, fought sealed evil God himself locked away, royally hosed up Heaven itself via Metatron, fought and 'defeated' God's sister and met with God himself, and now some Eurotrash high society elites are going to roll up and poo poo talk them about being amateurs who don't know what they are doing and how America is basically the lawless uncivilized rear end in a top hat of the supernatural world.

It doesn't make for a compelling threat, especially given that loving Lucifer is out and about and I really doubt the EuroMoL could handily dispatch him.