Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Angela Christine posted:

They are trying to appeal to the male members of the audience by balancing the emotional moments with more shots of the cool car. "Hey fellas, you like cars right? Look at this sweet car."

I've also noticed in the beginning of the last two episodes Dean is prominently shown working on the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The show seems to lack a direction this season. Even after the first arc ended, you had Lilith, the Levathan, Sealing Hell, Angel War, etc etc as big objectives. Now it's kinda meandering along with soap opera plots involving Crowley drama, Cas drama, Sam and Dean Mark drama.

It's like they've had such high stakes before they don't have anything else to go for.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I want this show to become the Doctor Who of long running American genre shows, and I'd love to see 15 more years of Sam and Dean blasting ghosts with shotguns. This would probably be the direction to move in to get there, since you can only threaten to destroy the world so many times.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I really really liked this past episode. It was great for them to really get back to the whole Jimmy Novak thing and explore that. The John Winchester stuff was a nice touch as well. A great episode about absent fathers.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BreakAtmo posted:

He's been in there for about 6.5 years (78 months) Earth time, so it's getting on for a millennium of torture now.

Either that or by now Lucifer and Michael got bored of torturing him and just became best buds. All 3 are down there binging on netflix or something.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Favorite part of the episode.

It's kinda like Maya Rudolph's Beyonce's wind machine on SNL. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Surprised there hasn't been any action on the thread tonight.

Tonight's episode was pretty good. Not terrific and a bit heavy handed, but still, nice to see the show sliding back into the "monster of the week" type plots instead of OMG APOCALYPSE AGAIN.

Cole is turning out to be a pretty cool dude, and it would not shock me if he "got the bug" (so to speak) and shows up next season a full blown novice Hunter and recurring character.

Also it was so gratifying when the slug jumped out of that guy's mouth and into the other and I thought "man, that looks like a Khan Worm" and Dean says 5 minutes later "hey, is that a Khan Worm?" :D

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Angela Christine posted:

It was good to see them at least think about the idea of trying to save people possessed, infested, occupied, or controlled by monsters again though. During the apocalypse-prevention plots they didn't have time to mess around so anyone possessed by a monster was treated as a monster out of expediency. Killing monsters as fast as possible was the only consideration. Now they have time to reconsider that.

They did seem a bit dumb with this parasite though. It looks like an unknown parasite, there is nothing obviously magical or unbelievable about it. (The only potentially supernatural effect was possibly causing people to drink more water than a human body can hold, if that one guy really spent an afternoon drinking out of a hose.) Couldn't they just put the host to sleep and have the parasite surgically extracted? There are some supernatural things I definitely wouldn't want the US military getting their hands on, but "huge parasite that makes you thirsty and drives you crazy" seems like a perfect sort of monster to hand over to the CDC.

That was one thing that struck me as a little odd, like when Sam was explaining to the guy's wife he was all "YOU SAW A MONSTER, RIGHT?" When he could have just said "your husband got a parasite in him. I'm from the CDC."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yaos posted:

This "monster" is actually a parasitic worm. We shouldn't let anybody know to ensure more people get infected and die.

I especially got this vibe because wasn't the Khan Worm kinda sentient? Like it was controlling people and had an agenda? This one just wants to drink a lot of water. It's like a Water Tape Worm.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What's all this last episode talk? AFAIK the showrunners, actors, and network have no plans to end it anytime soon.

Though I have to admit, they do seem to have been spinning their wheels for awhile now. I'm not sure what the answer is. I was glad it continued on after the Lucifer story even though that was a good, natural end. There have been a lot of great stories in the past few seasons. But as they raised the stakes ever higher it has been almost impossible to eke out an interesting story without spinning their wheels.

The world of Heaven and Hell has really put the show into a corner. A few years ago, you could say the show was about the supernatural-ghosts, vampires, demons, werewolves, etc. Now looking back, you have to admit it's primarily been a show about angels and demons, God, Heaven, and Hell. And once you've rounded the gamut of stories about the Apocalypse, warring for Heaven, warring for Hell, etc you kind of run out of stakes to raise. We've now concluded that the world won't end. Lucifer and God are gone. Heaven has become peaceful and well run, if a bit jerky. Hell has become cuddly and nerfed to the point that it's almost an ally. When was the last time a demon possession was truly evil and gruesome like it was in the first couple of seasons? "Oh hai, black eyes and some smoke, have an angel blade to the back." :rolleyes: Purgatory and it's monsters have become a non-player. We've gone through a half a dozen iterations of "Sam is good, Dean is bad." "Dean is good, Sam is bad." Dean sacrifices himself for Sam. Sam sacrifices himself for Dean. The brothers are fighting and will NEVER TRUST EACH OTHER AGAIN. Oh now they're cool. Castiel loses his powers, becomes bad, becomes good, becomes human, becomes an angel again--his stories have all been done at least twice.

Death has also become pointless, as with a simple spell and some blood on the wall you can create a magic door to Heaven, Purgatory or Hell and everyone is literally there. Sometimes it's "really hard" to get there or get back, but essentially there's no legitmate reason why Bobby or Kevin or John or anyone can't come back. The only beings in existence I can think of that are pretty much inaccessable are Lucifer, Michael, Adam, and God. In theory those who the angel blades one shot are supposed to be destroyed forever but I'm sure they could tech the tech their way out of that if the story dictated. Essentially in this show, nobody is really dead. So if death is so minor, what are the stakes anymore?

I don't know how they can do it, but if they can't find some way to reset things it's gonna get boring after the Mark storyline ends. I can't see how they can threaten the world or even just Sam and Dean without it being a repeat of the past. The only possible thing I can think of is have God come back and push a big reset button. Remove all the angels and demons and heaven and hell and break most of the simple rules down that make things so easy (30 second exorcisms, hexes, spells, angel one shot blades) and put them back on the road with some sort of quest like they had in the first couple of seasons interspersed with MOTW episodes. But I'm not even sure that will work.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 16, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BreakAtmo posted:

Almost 5 seasons, and you're forgetting the 2 year-long timeskips we've had. It's getting on for a millennium of torture.

You'd think maybe after awhile Lucifer and MIchael would just get bored with toying with Adam.

It'd be hilarious if they got broken out and were all chill buds and couldn't care less about Heaven, Hell, or Earth.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think there's a rule of sorts for symbolism.

Salt's basically supposed to mean purity, hence when it's in a line it won't be able to be crossed and it's used for protection. Nothin spooky can get over it.

I remember an episode where they used salt to torture Alistair, but I think that was more like "Hey, torture the guy" and less "evict the demon" kinda stuff.

I don't think salt as a rule is demon anathema, but in a line, yea it's gonna be able to block spooky stuff.

The purity of the salt is negated by the trans fats in the fries. :science:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Seems like this is fairly serious. Misha and Jensen have been talking about it at the convention. Jensen said he really didn't want to be there w/o Jared.

Jared had also tweeted a few days ago:

quote:

Who's awake right now?
Will someone tell me something positive that has happened because of #Supernatural?"

Hate to armchair psychoanalyze especially on so little info, but it sounds like a guy trying to justify to himself what he's doing with his life.

I also worry if he's questioning what he's doing if reaching out to the very rabid fanbase with stuff like this:

quote:

I need all of the love I can get right now. Please please give me a few seconds of your time and write me.

might not do more harm than good, depending on what he's fishing for.

For all my grousing about the recent treading of the wheels of the show, I definitely don't want it to end anytime soon, and it seemed like it never would. That said, the only thing that I could see ending it would be one or both of the leads calling it quits. But if that's what he's gotta do for his health, then he's gotta do it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, given how the writers have handled his character, I half wonder if actors in that situation get further down when reading a million "Holy loving idiot!" and "They should really just kill him off" posts when they've been playing a character for around a decade (or even far, far less). That said I've never blamed the actor for it, that's not in his control.

It'd just suck to see someone go off the deep end in such a bad way over something that's neither in their control, or really aimed at them. I can in no way criticize all those "Sam is a moron" posts this season (or for the past few seasons), because his character has been written into that corner, but I can imagine that doesn't help your mood if you're playing said character.

I'd find it very tough to believe though, after all these years, that Jared and Jensen (and even Misha) don't have huge input into the direction of the show and their characters. The show is, to my knowledge, the lynchpin of the network. It's gone on for many seasons past what anyone would have thought, and the only think keeping it going is that the network, producers, and stars have said, "we want to do this forever." I'm surprised they haven't been given vanity executive producer credits by now.

If he really is unsatisfied creatively with the show, then that would be a good reason to finally do a wrap up storyline with a good solid ending arc for all concerned. It is true that some shows stop spinning their wheels when they have a solid end date. Right now Supernatural is basically like a soap opera--it just goes on and on rehashing the same plots.

An ending season would give us a chance to explore the question of "Where is God?", which is the only major mythology thread hanging out there but one that they've avoided because you can't top that once done. An arc where they search for God to get Him back to put Heaven and Earth in order would be satisfying. You get to have happy endings for all the characters and bring old favorites back, even ones that are dead can come "off the bench" and out of Heaven for an episode or two. And we'd get Jeffery Dean Morgan back for at least a couple episodes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

We do, but nobody in the show does. Nor do we know why he decided to bail. There's a story about that which could be very compelling.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

kainashi posted:

I didn't think Death could be killed. :eyepop:

Guess the Mark trumped that.

If Crowley had just cut short his grandstanding with his mother and Immortal Seth by about 5 minutes, the Mark would have been zapped off and he probably wouldn't have had the juice to cap Death.

So if Death is dead, are we into Miracle Day "nobody can die" territory now? If so, how did Rowena kill Seth? Or does the timeline just kind of work out in the split second where Rowena kills the kid, Dean kills Death, spell completes, Mark goes away? I'd have to rewatch to be sure.

Well we wondered how they could top The Apocalypse or The Leviathans for stakes, I guess something that predates God would count. Though this really, really seems like a rehash of the Leviathans. Because you drat know that The Darkness will end up taking some sort of dullsville human form.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yaos posted:

Here's my prediction for next season. Even though The Darkness had to be fought off by God and a bunch of archangels, and all the archangels are dead or locked up, it will work in secret and take human form even though humans didn't exist until after they were locked away. It will also know everything there is to know about humans and act exactly like humans. The Darkness will keep within the borders of the continental United States for the duration of its meager existence, which might last the entire season. At no point will The Darkness have the slightest effect on Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, or Earth; so if you're Bob the builder you'll have no clue anything has ever happened even though a celestial battle is happening a few states over. Castiel didn't kill Crowley because Mark Shepard's name is in the credits for the first episode. Even though God needs all the help he can get to stop The Darkness, Sam and Dean will continue to do dumb human things and God won't lift a finger to help them. The Darkness will be defeated forever by a mcguffin God didn't know about or maybe the power of love. Even though Death isn't around to make more reapers, this will have no effect whatsoever on the soul business and the show will forget souls go to heaven and hell through reapers so it won't even matter.

The start of the first episode has the black smoke blow over the car, we'll learn later it's a protected religious icon created by God, and there will be a TV or radio talk about a freak tornado and then it will be dropped as Sam and Dean kill a monster of the week while they talk about their feelings. At the end of the episode Chuck will show up, possibly saving Sam and Dean or knocking on the door to their motel room after they kill the monster of the week. Sam/Dean will look at the other brother, and then back at Chuck, Chuck will smile and say something dumb and then the credits roll. Even though they'll be working with God, all the helpful powers he should have won't exist. They won't bother explaining why this is, you'll just have to accept it. God won't give Sam and Dean any cool powers of their own; they won't ask and God won't offer.

:sigh:

I think I know why Padalecki's so depressed...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

If it means more Mark Pellegrino, I'm in.

He was the only good thing about Tomorrow People. I could watch him chew scenery all day. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm starting to wish we'd had at least half a season of Dean wandering around some alien planet and Cas trying to spring Sam from Heaven. :sigh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I love the fact that he's finally had to back down from the "I"ll come back, but only for the last season" thing he's been saying for years--because everybody realizes this show may never actually end. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IrJa7ufp0o

:suspense:

That looked like something out of Hellraiser

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIING*
"Ghostbusters"
:allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm getting reeeeeeal loving sick of this formula. Of course one of the brothers got infected. Of course.

...and is hiding it from the other.

...who is also hiding the fact that he is having deep conversations with the enemy.

After Sam makes a speech about how "we can't keep doing the same thing over and over Dean!" :rolleyes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yep. They flipped a lot of things I didn't like about the premiere. If they can keep this trend going, this could actually be a good season.

Yeah, they're making a real effort resetting things, what with the Winchester permadeath, Crowley maybe being totally bad again, etc.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I could be down with them going back to the Cage if and only if we get at least a two parter with Mark Pellegrino. If we don't it'll be lame as hell. Having Young John Winchester talk to Sam instead of Jeffery Dean Morgan was lackluster IMO.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The entire episode would be the Ackles and Padalecki taking the piss out of each other, so yeah it'd be pretty rad.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Next week's preview :swoon:

Mark Pellegrino is back as Lucifer!!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I was all worried when the warding went down, but I totally forgot that Lucifer is still technically an angel, and can't possess a vessel unless they willingly let him in.

So great to see Pellegrino chewing the gently caress out of the scenery!

A Christmas episode in January? :what:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I hope next week's episode is 44 minutes of Lucifer trying to talk Sam into letting him in. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

zoux posted:

Has there ever been any sort of backlash against the show's take on Judeo-Christian mythology? Seems to me like saying that actual Jehovah God is a lazy do nothing absent creator would get whatever Council on Family Whatever group mad as all hell.

I noticed one thing they've not touched with a 10 foot pole, and that's Jesus.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Maybe part of the Lucifer/Darkness thing could be before they are defeated at the end of the season, they do some permanent changes to the world, like nerfing the angel blades so everyone can't just one shot everyone else...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

Virtually everything loses its oomph on a re-watch (or first time watch with knowledge of spoilers, like me). 10 years later and the duo's character development is still stunted. The only reason they've managed to continue a 5-year show for 10 years is because the Winchesters have learned absolutely nothing in their journey and keep making stupid mistakes or sacrificing the fate of the world to save each other. It's always easier to just have Dean go "Yer mah brother, Sammy!" and loving kill Death or something to get another season rolling.

So basically Sam and Dean are Ash from Evil Dead? :v:

McSpanky posted:

It'll be pretty interesting to see where they go from here. Kill God? The boys take over Hell? Parallel universe Godwar? It's too bad they already used up the concept of Eve, a monster mash season with all new creatures could've been something.

I said this going into the season, they need to just somehow push a reset button and nerf the boys so we can go back to S1 style MOTW episodes and a very light mytharc.

I think the problem with the show might just be they've become too in tune to the tumblr fandom. There's way too much fanservice, and they are reluctant to change things up, nerf the boys, go back to a larger, non Sam/Dean centric universe because the hardcores will become rabid.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Between Lucifer monologuing about the state of the show Sam and the Pop Vinyl doll we're awfully meta tonight...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Can we please have a spinoff where Mark Pellegrino as Lucifer moves to LA to fight crime? :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tiggum posted:

I'm just worried that Crowley's going to go find her soul in hell and she'll end up still being in the show.

I think if you die in Heaven or Hell it's a permadeath, on par with the Colt or an Angel Blade.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Junior G-man posted:

Rowena finally gone and Satan back? Oh my yes.

Shame we don't get more Mark Pellegrino - he owned that character like nobody's business - that 'heaven must be missing an angel' bit was hilarious.

At least Misha is channelling the gently caress out of him. If he keeps up this quality performance, it will be like Pellegrino is still there!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Murphy Brownback posted:

I always wondered that too - why do they (and most other shows/movies that show people cutting themselves to get blood) always use something as sensitive and useful as a palm? At least use the back of your hand if it must be a hand.

e: I mean there was that part after Dean came back from hell where he used his arm instead, but still, he cut right into his bicep, another useful part of your arm.

I always hate that, because it's very stupid. The only explanation I can come up with is "it looks badass." And some sort of baloney about "Character is SO committed to doing this act of DRAWING BLOOD that they are willing to HURT for it!!" :downs:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Femur posted:

Magic has always been the most powerful force on the show. Remember that magic auction? The wards supersede the angels and demon powers. Everyone performs magic of some type above and beyond their constitution except the leviathans, who had super science.

Magic users are the only things that consistently escape the Winchesters. The older, the more likely, like most fantasy, old=better. Angels and demons are just abnormally old, potentially know the most magic.

I imagine hunters can heal superficial wounds because of ancient Chinese medicine, or a facsimile. You have to imagine that a world where magic exist means also that some ancient recipes for simple healing also works. They mix crap all the time, and there are herb stores specifically for hunters.

It seems like magic is the source code God used to run things, and when you can figure it out, it gives you the ability to cheat code your way through the world by rewriting code, hacking poo poo, etc.

STAC Goat posted:

I love these kind of episodes. Where they deal with the past and the consequences. Bring back recurring characters who were saved/damaged by the Winchesters and build up those characters of all involved. Deal with the collateral damage and consequences of this life. I love the MotW elements of this show but its episodes like this that really help keep the feeling that there's a world there and things don't just end and reset every episode. Jody's Home for Wayward Girls is an element of the Winchester world that helps maintain the show's heart, I think. This stuff now means more to me than the meta plot stuff. I know Lucifer and the Darkness are running around but life goes on in the Supernatural world.

And everyone somehow survived it. When I saw all three in the trailer last week I thought for sure someone's time had come up. But Sheriff Jody Mills continues to defy the Supernatural odds. Has she outlasted Bobby at this stage?

Yeah, it was great. It's what the show needs more of for sure.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

They need to go hunting for Death on the Other Planet he almost was going to send Dean (or was it Sam?) to.

GHOST ALIENS.

And they do MOTW cases in between the A plot. Like an entire season with ghosts, werewolves, vampires, etc but they are all alien ones. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I've said it before, but seriously nerfing the guys by changing the rules could be good. Get rid of one shot kill angel blades. Close off Heaven and Hell for real this time no foolin' and remove all the angel/demon poo poo from hunting and go back to ghosts, vamps, werewolves etc.

Or throw them into a parallel universe where the rules are totally different. Same Sam and Dean, totally new set of circumstances that they have to hunt under. Maybe put them into a world where nothing is real but sparkly Twilight High School Angst Soap vamps and all they do is hunt them.

A lot of the power creep has occurred because the low level paranormal monsters aren't threats anymore so they have to keep ramping it up with earlier and earlier Biblical stuff. So now we've done away with Death, and "God's Sister" is the new soon to be departed Big Bad. We've had Lillith and Cain. Lucifer is 2000 and late. High level angels are no big whoop. All that's left is endless Sam/Dean drama and God/Jesus I guess, unless we find out that God and The Darkness had a father and he's Really Really Bad. I don't think they'll make God a bad guy and Jesus is surely off limits as a baddie on network tv even in Current Year.

I have never been bored with a show to the point where I stopped watching, outside a couple of one seasoners where I had a few eps left and found out they were cancelled. I'm getting to a point though with this were it's just same old same old. And I was one of the people who was gleeful that they kept the show on after Season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This blonde girl looks familiar, then it hits me--she looks like a female Garth!