Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Angela Christine posted:

And because it was a pilot a bunch of plot threads are left dangling, so even if you enjoy premise the episode will be incredibly unsatisfying. Don't worry though, you won't enjoy the premise. So if you decide not to trust us and want to watch the show for yourself, feel free to turn it off at any point because nothing gets resolved by the end anyway.

God. I almost never agree that the "worst" episode of a show is that bad. But Bloodlines is actually that bad. It's garbage. Eyebrows and poor exposition and smug faces from the first minute; gently caress that episode and the producers who encouraged me to watch it.

You can save yourself. It's August 5th, 1945, and you have a train ticket to Hiroshima. And we're urging you not to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

cool kids inc. posted:

That's what I'm leaning towards. Looks bad, but I'm going to hedge my bet that he killed the beastie that killed his dad.

Most likely. Which is actually something human-Dean would remember: failing to save someone's father, especially at a time (~2003) when his own father was so central to his life.

I kind of hope that's what happened, and Dean totally remembers that incident. Because then it would mean that demon-Dean today intentionally took credit for a murder he never committed. Which is, in a sense, Dean committing an act of violence against his own past. Choosing to corrupt his own past self through lies is way more interesting than Dean simply having been a monster all along.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Astroman posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I want this show to become the Doctor Who of long running American genre shows, and I'd love to see 15 more years of Sam and Dean blasting ghosts with shotguns. This would probably be the direction to move in to get there, since you can only threaten to destroy the world so many times.

Oh, man, I don't want that at all. I love the setting, but would way rather see different characters reacting to different situations.

That's why I was happy about a spinoff in the same story universe. But then we got....whatever that was. So, maybe it's better if they just end things.

Basically, a Men of Letters show. That'd be wonderful. Why couldn't they do that?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Ravane posted:

As far as rock goes, I'm not really a big fan. Though I've heard the name Phil Collins before, but I wouldn't know any songs he wrote and things he did.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, "Duke." Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. It was too artsy, too intellectual.

It was on "Duke" where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think "Invisible Touch" is the groups' undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

pentyne posted:

HOLY poo poo MRS. PATMORE! This was literally the last show I expected a member of the Downton Abbey cast to show up, much less as a crazy evil version of of her Downton role.

Right? Just think of how small the intersection is of people who watch Supernatural and Downton Abbey.

Now we just need Mr. Carson as some sort of stodgy werewolf. He really dislikes change.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Angela Christine posted:

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, but it can burn hot enough to weaken them and then gravity does the rest. He didn't need every seal broken, if enough of them broke the cage would be weakened to the point where he could break out.

So, you're saying opening Lucifer's cage was an inside job?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think there's a rule of sorts for symbolism.

Salt's basically supposed to mean purity, hence when it's in a line it won't be able to be crossed and it's used for protection. Nothin spooky can get over it.

I remember an episode where they used salt to torture Alistair, but I think that was more like "Hey, torture the guy" and less "evict the demon" kinda stuff.

I don't think salt as a rule is demon anathema, but in a line, yea it's gonna be able to block spooky stuff.

I don't even recall salt being a demon thing; I thought it was a ghost thing. Haven't the torture scenes been with Holy Water, or is that just a more recent retcon?

There definitely was that early episode where the guy explained that voodoo black powder substance (goofer dust or something that sounds like that) to ward off Hellhounds. I assumed that was what warded demons.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

Seriously if anyone on this show decided to opt for "kill" instead of "tie up" they'd be so boned.

Well, it is still Supernatural. Tons of people have opted for kill...it never really sticks.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

Then pass it on to every person on Earth and have Castiel drop the First Blade into a black hole so nobody can actually kill eachother. :v:

Wouldn't that mean that everyone on earth becomes a demon upon "death" instead?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

The Red Queen posted:

OMG we're almost to my dream spinoff - she even called it a home for wayward girls. Now we just need werewolf chick and adult-woman-turned-young girl and we're set.

Yeah, that sounds like the best possible strategy for the CW to take. "It's Supernatural, but with teenage girl leads." It'd be a million times better than Bloodlines.

I guess they'd still want some hot dudes with abs, though. Maybe they'll gender-inverse it and give the girls poison vaginas; every couple episodes, there's a new dead Amell.

Kruller posted:

[Rowena] sucks more than Adelind on Grimm.

Hey, now, don't say things you can't take back. Rowena isn't necessarily great, but she's competent at some stuff and has relatively consistent motivations. Adalind could only dream of such a thing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Yaos posted:

Castiel's wings are burned so he can't teleport any more. He can still raise her from the dead though, or maybe it's like in Final Fantasy where the phoenix down doesn't work during cutscenes.

I thought the teleportation thing was a reflection of no longer being connected to some sort of Power of God, which no angels have had since the Fall, rather than something particular to Castiel. I guess I'm mistaken, though?

But yeah, she's Aeris. She isn't coming back because Dean needs a reason to kill stuff. To Supernatural's credit, I guess neither he nor Sam hosed her before she died, so that's an evolution of the show's MO. But still, women in the refrigerator, etc. etc. I'm sure Tumblr has a lot to say about it.

The Frankensteins are a way cooler villain than normal, though. Germanic Freemason types who do hosed up arcane magi-science are way more interesting than Lilith or the Leviathans ever were.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

richardfun posted:

She is/was gay.

Yes, I know. I was merely commenting on the Winchester's tendency to doom women with their penises. I suppose that hasn't happened in a few seasons at this point.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Writer Cath posted:

Clearly they'll need to do the fusion dance and become the person they were always meant to be: Dam Winchester.

Dam's a good character, but the Damstiel shippers are out of control.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

I'm with you raditts in that I can't decide between the complete worthlessness of Eve or the trite and boring Leviathans. I just get so pissed thinking about how boring the primordial prototype creations ended up being.

That's what made them so bad: on paper, they're these horrifying Cthuloid troglodyte things, like Sam and Dean are going to have to hunt a shoggoth. The actual interaction with them was so much lamer than that. Just, disappointing.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 3, 2016

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Somehow, I can never get behind "jumping the shark" accusations. If that's a thing, it did it seasons ago. Six, seven seasons ago at that; it's been a mess for longer than it was ever "good."

The reason this show is so endearing is that it's essentially ego-less in that way. Sure, it's past its prime and the writing has recycled its small handful of themes over a dozen times, but the characters still work and the writers seem to understand what the show is: absolute B-movie shlock in an episodic format.

Also, "Just My Imagination" is probably one of my favorite episodes they've ever done, and that was this last season.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

raditts posted:

It seems weird that they were watching things close enough to know everything about the Winchesters as far back as the apocalypse, but somehow are unaware of the lack of organization of hunters in the US or that most of them are dead.

Also, weird that they're super aware of what the Winchesters have been up to for the last decade, yet apparently isolationist enough to not intervene in any of the previous dozen or so world-ending catastrophes. If Sam and Dean are such amateurs, why did they let them handle saving the world the previous several times that has happened?

My biggest complaint is how nerfed they've made Castiel. Angels were supposed to be ridiculous badasses who are absolute tanks in a battle context. And he's getting knocked around like some random chump. You'd think he could demolish this snarky British woman, or more to the point that these people educated in the Occult would be more reverent or mystified by a literal Angel of God walking among them.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Even ol' Yellow Eyes needed a few episodes for me to really dislike him.

Also he was literally a demon. He and Ruby and Meg at least have the excuse of being millennia-flayed parodies of God's forgotten souls.

She's just a person who apparently really doesn't like Sam and has an entire colony of bugs up her rear end over it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I kind of wish they had resurrected Hitler earlier in the episode so we could see more of what he was going to do with twitter.

I think the current political situation in the US demonstrates exactly what Hitler might've done with Twitter.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Astroman posted:

I also think it's just what the writers see the show as--two dudes in a bunker moping and being angsty, as a continuation of two dudes on the road moping and being angsty. I think they are also afraid of changing up the direction of the show because right now it still works ratingswise, and if you tinker too much it might kill the golden goose.

Which is where an actually good spin-off could live. They've built out a pretty interesting world and mythology, and there's no reason they couldn't explore different corners of it in an interesting way, that extend beyond the Winchesters.

But then, we got Bloodlines...so, never mind, I guess. They shouldn't make a spinoff.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

bull3964 posted:

It would be funny if the "cosmic consequences" are that the Winchesters can't die anymore. We know that Billie has said before that the next death is it, that she was going to hurtle the soul into the abyss and it can never come back.

Well, what if she 'hacked' the universe to accomplish this (bypassing the normal soul progression when dead). Without her, the soul has no direction and just stays put.

Like the "Soldier and Death" folktale from the 80's Jim Henson's Storytellers series.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Still cautiously optimistic for this show, but if it does go ahead I really hope they don't keep the diary/narration as a regular thing. For one, it seems to indicate that Claire would be the protagonist, and I'd definitely prefer more of an ensemble thing rather than focusing specifically on her.

She's the Dean of the show, definitely. But they have like 5 significant characters, so there's always the option.

Can we take a moment to remember how bad and uninteresting "Bloodlines" ended up being? It's night and day...this spinoff is better and more coherent in every capacity. "What if Supernatural but sort of Buffy" is pretty solid. And hey: they didn't kill Jodi to galvanize the team to action, which was my fear. Just a girl we don't particularly know, whose connection to Claire was clearly supposed to be more significant than this 42 minutes allowed.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

DoggPickle posted:

THIS specifically has been irritating me in all of the recaps or judgements or whatever you want to call anyone who talks about supernatural anymore. There is literally nothing the same about Dean and Claire. I LOVE this show (as much as you can still love it and be irritated at the last 15+ episode decline) and I HATE CLAIRE.

You may not like Claire, but she is extremely similar to Dean. The flippant, rear end in a top hat demeanor, disdain for authority, tendency to jump into dangerous situations without a plan, the weird lone wolf poo poo where she refuses help, the martyr complex where she invites death or injury...it’s all right out of Dean’s playbook.

I mostly find it funny that Kathryn Newton plays the same bratty, rebellious teenage daughter in *everything*. She’s done this in Halt and Catch Fire and Big Little Lies...I’m pretty sure she’s that in Three Billboards prior to getting murdered, and I’m sure there are other examples.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Or some of those antagonists will collide and cancel each other out. Alt-Michael kills Col Sanders or whatever it ends up being.

Though, yeah, probably a mess. As endearing as this show is, it’s not tightly written...certainly not 13 years in.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

When I first saw the person sitting there I was just thinking "HOLY gently caress THEY BROUGHT BACK ADAM". I dunno if I am more or less happy with the actual result.

This would actually have made more sense. But sure, Gabriel, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah, they’ve both died and been resurrected tons of times. I’m pretty sure Dean’s current body is...what, at most 3 years old?

His liver’s still good, is my point.