Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Did no one else notice the cereal the army-hunter's kid was eating?

Champies: Breakfast of Wheat Eaters

I laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

The discussion was about how one could get the Nemesis System from Shadow of Mordor to work in the game. I don't know if you're familiar with it, but it basically works like this:

- You don't merely get a game over and start from the last checkpoint, your character is connected to a wraith and is actually resurrected in-story whenever you die.

- Any orc that kills you gains a name and is promoted, becoming a kind of mini-boss Captain that is more powerful, and becomes even more powerful every time they kill you. They even recognise you and comment on how they remember killing you, and you become well-known as the Gravewalker who seemingly can't die.

So basically, implementing the Nemesis System into a game requires enemies to be capable of fighting you and surviving to fight again in some fashion.

Neither of those things are even a little bit necessary to have a Nemesis-like system of unique enemies that exist as part of a power structure that remember their previous encounters with you, though. You could still have 90% of what makes that system cool without including the "if they kill you, they get promoted" part. That's just one of like a dozen cool aspects of that system.

And hey, if you really want to include that aspect, you could still let the enemies defeat you. There's nothing that says every time a player is defeated, he has to die. There have been plenty of games where the player survives defeat.

If it really bothers you to imagine a vampire not finishing off a hunter, just give him some story MacGuffin where he gets teleported away, healed, or otherwise rescued when he's about to die or whatever. An angel support buddy could do any of those things easily and it would fit very well.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Lunadystopia posted:

I believe this season is going to be great. These two episodes were kinda overwhelming from the fact that we got to see this darker path that Dean is going because of the First Blade. I was amazed by the fact that even the King of Hell was afraid!

Makes sense - Dean curbstomped Abaddon, and she was way tougher than Crowley.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

mcswizzle posted:

Looked like a slit throat, though, and I'm not sure what is killed by that besides good old fashion 'Murricans.

Yaos posted:

Don't forget we heard the guy yelling in fear, which monsters usually don't do. They usually fight back with their monster powers.

Witches would fit, but remembering how early on in Dean's hunting career it was, we might need to consider the idea that it was a total screw up and he really was a regular dude.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I imagine Dean's gonna be cured, at least for a while, but there's no reason he couldn't still be a demon. They set the whole thing up right in this episode - if human blood can suppress demon powers enough that devil's traps don't work anymore, there's no reason it can't suppress demon powers so much that you can't even turn the eyes black. There's no reason to assume that just 'cause the eyes go clear the demon is gone. (though it would make sense for Sam to latch onto that hope without questioning it)

I guess Castiel's angel vision should be able to tell but that's asking for a lot from the writers, and who knows what's even going on with Cas' powers anyway.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Finally gonna see the Furlings.

No one else here responded to this so I just want you to know, I saw your post. It did not go unappreciated. It was a good post. :unsmith:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

And of course, the end result of how they fixed that was "They don't, Dean dies and goes to hell".

And then wasn't that where Alastair broke Dean, which was the first step and direct cause of the Apocalypse? It all fit together pretty tightly in the first 5 seasons.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I would definitely watch a Supernatural spin-off starring Jody and Donna.

Yeah, it wasn't my favorite episode ever but those two had incredibly good chemistry with eachother. Definitely would watch again.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

pentyne posted:

That's was one of the best episodes in years. Hopefully they're really trying to do something unique this season because this episode was nothing like anything they've done in the past 11 years.

I skipped most of last season and by complete chance decided to give last night's episode a chance. I guess it was a good choice.

fake edit: Well, that's not entirely true. I saw the promo for the episode and was curious how last season's plot resolved, and also saw Crowley and that was good. The episode started and the "last time on Supernatural" wrap-up had a bunch of poo poo that was at least interesting enough to keep watching, so I decided to keep watching at least until the first commercial break, and it wasn't bad, so I kept watching until it turned lovely and it never did.

Not happy to see that Crowley's mom is still around, though. Never quite warmed to her, at least not in that Svengali role.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

All of this makes me wish they had actually developed Castiel into the give-no-fucks hippie. That version was awesome and the actor had a great time with it, it's a shame they pretty much stuck him in neutral for so long.

(consensus about seasons)

What about ten? I trailed off part way through, should I bother going back and watching that? Or specific episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Fairy episodes are the best. It's great to see something so ridiculous that even the jaded seen-it-all hunters have a hard time accepting it.