Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Autonomous Monster posted:

This would suggest that Shelley's entire adult life has been defined by the damage caused by her best friend's suicide.

That's, uh, that's a little depressing.

John Allison's works have never exactly been about puppies and sunshine. Unless they're demonic puppies using sunshine to spread skin cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Leroy Dennui posted:

This is what I'm thinking too - her whimsy may have developed as a defense mechanism, and was influenced by Ryan's earthy wisdom.

In a similar way to Lottie's extreme love of mysteries, perhaps? They both suffered a loss at a young age and are probably the strangest among their respective circle of friends.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Yvonmukluk posted:

In a similar way to Lottie's extreme love of mysteries, perhaps? They both suffered a loss at a young age and are probably the strangest among their respective circle of friends.

Extreme love of makin' noise, maybe. Mildew's odd upbringing makes her a contender, but what really makes Lottie stand out is her resilience and presence of mind to get people out of their dark places.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bell_ posted:

Extreme love of makin' noise, maybe. Mildew's odd upbringing makes her a contender, but what really makes Lottie stand out is her resilience and presence of mind to get people out of their dark places.

I was actually referring to Murder She Writes, where Lottie explains her love of mysteries protects her 'delicate lady-brain' from trauma (see the write-up I did upthread for the illustration). And I think the best demonstration of that was in The Case of Unwelcome Visitor.

Also, shame on you getting Mildred's name wrong.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

This would suggest that Shelley's entire adult life has been defined by the damage caused by her best friend's suicide.

That's, uh, that's a little depressing.

that's pretty much exactly what happens in real life. people close to you dying in your formative years leaves a bit of a mark

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
In other news, Ryan's earthy wisdom comes at the price of a loose grasp on biology.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A sudden plot twist appears!

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 13, 2014

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

God certainly does revel in sending inscrutable omens.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh noooooo. Please don't reboot Scary Go Round, Mr. Allison. :ohdear:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh noooooo. Please don't reboot Scary Go Round, Mr. Allison. :ohdear:

Pretty sure that's a joke, like all the other eighties/nineties comic gags thusfar?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

I wonder how accurate those prices in the upper left-hand corner are for '96 exchange rates. I would think the pound would be worth more than that...

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Leroy Dennui posted:

I wonder how accurate those prices in the upper left-hand corner are for '96 exchange rates. I would think the pound would be worth more than that...

It's actually somewhat higher than the standard price back then, IIRC, which was around $2.50 US/$3.50 Canadian. The UK price cited there is, according to some googling, equivalent to a little over four 1996 USD, but the UK has a history of getting screwed on comics prices.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Man a cosmic tax-man doing a space audit is a WAY better cosmic threat than some dude who just eats planets and its not okay to kill him for some reason.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The rugby teacher in the last panel of today's comic shows up again in Scary Go Round when Ryan goes to the afterlife.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ah, look at Ole Knotty. And he writes poetry!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Haha, I can't believe I recognized a Scary Go Round character who was in like three pages in 2006 and didn't realize that was Ole Knotty. :v:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Rincewind posted:

The rugby teacher in the last panel of today's comic shows up again in Scary Go Round when Ryan goes to the afterlife.

That particular storyline is notable for being when Allison ditched Illustrator for good. Reading these old ones makes me realize just how much he's improved in making each panel look more dynamic - you rarely see the "standing and talking in 3/4 view" pose anymore, and the camera angles vary a whole lot more now.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The best thing about Ole Knotty being in Expecting to Fly is it turning out he was Ryan's teacherbuddy.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Having seen this thread, I've read through Bad Machinery over the last few days and it was a heck of a ride :). Especially as someone who grew up reading things like The Secret Seven, The Three Investigators and The Mystery Kids. Good ol' mystery-solving clubs.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rincewind posted:

Curse you for making me reread the archives.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Expecting to Fly is answering all sorts of questions, like why Old Knotty wears an eyepatch.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Expecting to Fly is answering all sorts of questions, like why Old Knotty wears an eyepatch.

John Allison's magnum opus.

Seriously, I'm really digging how he's bringing back all these old characters now that's he's improved his writing. Ryan's dad was just a bizarre creature in Scarygoround, I'm glad there's some depth to him.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 23, 2014

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

John Allison's magnum opus.

Seriously, I'm really digging how he's bringing back all these old characters now that's he's improved his writing. Ryan's dad was just a bizarre creature in Scarygoround, I'm glad there's some depth to him.

It certainly makes me question the wisdom of Shelley's attempts to reunite Pa Beckwith and his family all those years ago.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
It is probably best not to scrutinize the continuity of prior Pa Beckwith encounters too closely, as making them jive would likely require dangerous quantities of amnesia dust.

I mean, didn't he run off to be some sort of hobo king or something when Ryan was much younger than he is now?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, uh, that's one mystery solved.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Wonderslug posted:

It is probably best not to scrutinize the continuity of prior Pa Beckwith encounters too closely, as making them jive would likely require dangerous quantities of amnesia dust.

I mean, didn't he run off to be some sort of hobo king or something when Ryan was much younger than he is now?

He stole a pie off some other guy and became King of the Tramps, yeah.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

howe_sam posted:

No way was this was planned years in advance :manning:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 23, 2014

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Wonderslug posted:

That's not irreconcilable, after all Ryan mentions at the start of Expecting to Fly that Pa Beckwith "has been around lately."

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

reignonyourparade posted:

That's not irreconcilable, after all Ryan mentions at the start of Expecting to Fly that Pa Beckwith "has been around lately."

Hm. I had been thinking "That was 20 years ago, Ma!" was a problem, but on closer inspection it seems only Ryan and Riley have seen him thus far, and Ma still has not. Carry on, then!

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

So Enter the Taxman is supposed to come to a head on Halloween. Allison might actually use it as some kinda retcon/revision thing-a-ma-boobs.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I feel like the comic for the 26th wasn't supposed to go up yet... especially considering that's a Sunday.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dammit Tim, why couldn't you have made it so the contraption fired at a cushion on the WINDOW?

If I didn't already know things work out good for Ryan, I'd probably be inclined to dislike Tim more for RUINING EVERYTHING.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tim's inventions have had a habit of going completely wrong.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Oh, geez. Ryan, Ryan. Ryan, noooo.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Oh noooooooo. :smith:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Dang now this has made me extremely curious as to what Ryan and Mr. Knott's relationship is like in the present. Did they interact in any of the school scenes? Maybe this arc is a preamble to that? I loved the teacher bits in Lottietime BM, so that'd be cool.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Not that old. Safeway only went out of business in 2004/2005.

My littler brother probably remembers Safeways and he's only fourteen.

I was momentarily VERY confused reading this post, because there are in fact two Safeways in my small town in Northwest USA. But a quick skim of Wikipedia informs me that it's just the UK branch that was sold off (in 1987, but not eliminated as a brand-name by the parent company until 2005).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There was a Safeway on my local high street as long as I can remember, till it disappeared and got replaced by... I think a Morrison's. Are you telling me it wasn't a real Safeway this whole time?!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

No its like that Goosebumps book where the protagonist finds out at the end that he is a ghost who died in a fire. You are still reliving a time where Safeways existed.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That page that was uploaded early is in its proper place today.

• Locked thread