Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

As far as I can tell, the British act like there's only three classes when in practice it feels more like 6, because they have similar wealth-dynamics to America, just overlaid onto the remnants of the medieval system. So you have the rich aristocrats, poor aristocrats, upper-middle, middle-middle, lower-middle, and then the lower-class, and then there's various stereotypes and expectations of every rung that I can't really penetrate at all, and there's linguistic barriers between the big class rungs.

Whereas, from my American upbringing, I was taught from an early age about the "American dream" where class barriers can and should always be overcome, but not in like a communist way however that works, and even though that's not how it works, that's in the back of my head always when class comes around. I think over here in America we really try to downplay class dynamics as much as we can even though they're there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

a pipe smoking dog posted:

There are so many class dynamics going on in the allison-verse it really amazes me that non-british people are able to follow it.

The only thing that's amazing is that British people seem to think that they invented the concept of class divisions :psyduck:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

The only thing that's amazing is that British people seem to think that they invented the concept of class divisions :psyduck:

The British tend to think that their system of class division is more significant and visible because they're preoccupied with the aristocracy and with outward signs of class, like whether or not you grew up on a council estate and whether or not you like a Burberry check pattern.

And before you ask, no, this will never make an ounce of sense.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We have council estates in the States, we tend to call them The Projects as a general term. And sure, if they're notoriously poorly managed or gang-ridden in your city there might be some kind of stigma on being from there, but if you're making something of your life then no one cares. We're phasing them out for direct housing assistance anyway. The unfortunate truth is that class divisions, by and large, define people who aren't willing to exit the life they're in. Does that require a lot of work? Yes, but statistically, most wealthy people in the modern era were not born wealthy. The mayor of London is a child of Muslim immigrants.

That's going to be the case with Shauna. She's an intelligent, pretty blonde who's ambitious and works hard. She's the kind of person who won't be poor forever, no matter what accent she happens to have (unless Allison wants to write a depressing story, which isn't impossible, but this is a setting where a preteen became queen of hell so a poor person getting an education and a career in a country with generous higher education funding isn't that far fetched.)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

wiegieman posted:

Yes, but statistically, most wealthy people in the modern era were not born wealthy.

?????

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Yes, but statistically, most wealthy people in the modern era were not born wealthy.

This is not remotely true in any first world country, I am afraid, even in the most ideal of social mobility conditions.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well there are a lot of footballers.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well there is this handy guide for anyone who is confused.

So, let's see if I got this right.

Shauna knows her place.

Lottie looks up to Mildred.

Mildew sometimes looks up to Lottie.

And Shauna knows her place.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

wiegieman posted:

We have council estates in the States, we tend to call them The Projects as a general term. And sure, if they're notoriously poorly managed or gang-ridden in your city there might be some kind of stigma on being from there, but if you're making something of your life then no one cares. We're phasing them out for direct housing assistance anyway. The unfortunate truth is that class divisions, by and large, define people who aren't willing to exit the life they're in. Does that require a lot of work? Yes, but statistically, most wealthy people in the modern era were not born wealthy. The mayor of London is a child of Muslim immigrants.

That's going to be the case with Shauna. She's an intelligent, pretty blonde who's ambitious and works hard. She's the kind of person who won't be poor forever, no matter what accent she happens to have (unless Allison wants to write a depressing story, which isn't impossible, but this is a setting where a preteen became queen of hell so a poor person getting an education and a career in a country with generous higher education funding isn't that far fetched.)

That is a pretty typical American opinion, yes. Not necessarily wrong in the US, but certainly inaccurate in the UK.

Problem is in the UK it's nigh-on impossible to "escape" the class you were born in, due to factors like education and the like being very biased towards the upper classes - our Higher Education funding is only "generous" compared to the US (HE is free in most of Europe) and lower class kids are being priced out of university in favour of people who can afford it. In many cases - it is difficult to even maintain quality of living if you're working class in the UK. Meanwhile, the upper and middle classes will disparage you for not "working hard enough".

Even if you DO make a decent living as a working class person in the UK, you often have to deal with being looked down upon, or even outright discriminated against for speaking the wrong accent, or having poor parents. It's happened to myself, and it's happened to almost everyone I know.

In America, classes don't really define a person; In the UK, class permeates through everything. It may very well be the case with that a person like Shauna would succeed in life, yes - but her class would make it more difficult, and someone of higher class with the same experience and skills would almost certainly do better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Disproportionation posted:

That is a pretty typical American opinion, yes. Not necessarily wrong in the US, but certainly inaccurate in the UK.

It's wrong in the US as well.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

It's wrong in the US as well.

The UK actually beats the US on most metrics of social mobility in fact. It's a wildly wrong statement just about anywhere.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

So, let's see if I got this right.

Shauna knows her place.

Lottie looks up to Mildred.

Mildew sometimes looks up to Lottie.

And Shauna knows her place.

Look man these are modern kids and they're being written by a mild-mannered British nerd so just go with your gut feelings. Mildred and Lottie are regular friends, Mildred's parents are just goofy neo-hippies. There's no conflict there. Shauna is obviously from a different background, and there's conflict there.

The bobbins/scarygoround crew is much the same. Shelley and friends work at a magazine, and nobody brings up any family stuff besides Amy being their boss's kid (A truly international concept). But Bruno works at an oil platform, and his presence unbalances the office dynamic. He's working class.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Bruno knows his place.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

wiegieman posted:

The unfortunate truth is that class divisions, by and large, define people who aren't willing to exit the life they're in. Does that require a lot of work? Yes, but statistically, most wealthy people in the modern era were not born wealthy. The mayor of London is a child of Muslim immigrants.

Also extra lol I didn't even notice this part the first go around. Quite possibly the most sheltered post I've ever seen. :shobon:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

\/You have a point, and this is dumb to continue.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 14, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

By all means, let's have this argument in the Scary Go Round webcomic thread.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Oh no, housing for poor people!

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I just assumed the other guys felt threatened by Bruno because he is big and hyper-masculine, and it made them feel self conscious. And since according to Amy he doesn't speak much, the image that formed in my head for the character was that of a large physically intimidating dude who's not very social.

It never even occurred to me that they didn't like him because of his working class job.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Galvanik posted:

I just assumed the other guys felt threatened by Bruno because he is big and hyper-masculine, and it made them feel self conscious. And since according to Amy he doesn't speak much, the image that formed in my head for the character was that of a large physically intimidating dude who's not very social.

It never even occurred to me that they didn't like him because of his working class job.

It's less "don't like him because of his working class job" and more "aren't comfortable around him because, on some level, they know that he lives in a very different world than they do".

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

It's all three of those things combined.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm enjoying John's attempts on Twitter at being a hot artist. It's a bold new direction.

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/743101815655440384

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/743106059880009729

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/743103170348474368

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I hope this arc ends with us meeting Cecile's small goth friend, and the cycle can begin anew.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I keep wondering whether Lottie is just crazy or if there's actually really gnomes and fairies everywhere, and from the rest of Bad Machinery, there's absolutely no way to tell.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I followed the link on the latest page back to 2009-era scary go round. Their first story does not paint the Wickles in a flattering light.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man no commentary on the death of Sonny's sister? You guys are ice-cold.

Also, he's killing it with the alt-text style comments below each strip now, I hope he never stops.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, we know she isn't dead. This is in the past and even Lottie wouldn't be that nonchalant about it if she had died.

The commentary at the bottom of the strips is indeed good, but it doesn't show up on a feed reader so I have to remember to visit the site.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, this was an easily solved mystery.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, this was an easily solved mystery.

The hard part's going to be getting back out.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I found a John Allison comic book (one of the Bad Machinery collections) at a store and it's huge and beautiful, like the later Calvin and Hobbes collections. I wasn't expecting such a gorgeous book.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 30, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
GOATY MAN!

I have to wonder, with the face Mildred is making there, and the... specific angle Allison draws the Satyr at, if he's going with the, let's say, "historical" mythology of the Satyr in this instance?

Is he saying that the goat man has a big dick?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
at the very least, he doesn't seem to be wearing anything belowdecks. i'm not sure how much the exact size really matters, beyond that...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

June 29, 2016 :: When I was a teenager, the Waterboys released a single that declared, repeatedly, "the great god Pan is alive". This was the kind of grandly preposterous statement that it's hard to imagine Skepta or Stormzy being able to deliver with a straight face.

This was of course a reference to a story told by Plutarch.

quote:

Plutarch writes that during the reign of Tiberius Caesar, an Egyptian pilot, Thamus, sailing to Italy, was called by a strange voice, which cried out to him: "Thamus, when you reach Palodes, tell them that the great god Pan is dead!" Following certain portents, Thamus did as he was told; Plutarch writes that a great lamentation rose from the shore at this news.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It's a pretty good song, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFM-noJhTI0

It's a shame that The Waterboys are only really remembered for The Whole of the Moon, because they've got a great catalogue.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

See, this is exactly why the Mystery Boys need Sonny along.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Can I just say that I've enjoyed Jack's journey from SHYEST DORK to SWAGGERING LYNX-SCENTED ULTRADUDE more than is entirely reasonable?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Can I just say that I've enjoyed Jack's journey from SHYEST DORK to SWAGGERING LYNX-SCENTED ULTRADUDE more than is entirely reasonable?

Worth noting this section is happening entirely in Charlotte's imagination.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fangz posted:

Worth noting this section is happening entirely in Charlotte's imagination.

Oh, I meant his arc over the entire comic.

I'm not certain how seriously we're supposed to take the unreliable narrator thing, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm deeply concerned that after the Bobbinsverse was finally rid of Rich Tweedy, Jack is apparently metamorphosing into his second coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

The Lottie floating head effects are the best thing ever.

• Locked thread