Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just catching up on the first episode of this season and holy poo poo people are quick to believe Castle was faking all this, without even remotely considering it was under duress. I mean holy poo poo, I don't know why the writers even tried that.

I don't know what happened yet, but.. sniper? Bomber? "I'll kill your loved ones." A million different things.

ED: Now they find him in the middle of the ocean with bullet holes in his loving boat and they are STILL blaming him? Holy poo poo. This feels so out of character.

ED: Well now I'm on to the 2nd episode and they're back at the not trusting him again. What the flying fuckballs, man. This is the dumbest plot arc. They've had fake witnesses, bullet holes, strange tropical diseases, getting shot across the ribs.. and they STILL are wondering if this was his plan? I mean the public, sure, I get that but really, all the main characters?

This is seriously the dumbest thing the show's done.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skychrono posted:

The mafia didn't keep its promise to stay inside the law. :(

It was probably the other family for the attempted murder.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, living in Los Angeles kind of makes me wish they just set the show in Los Angeles. It's kind of hilarious looking at areas that are clearly LA when it's supposed to be New York City.

They put in about 0% effort in hiding that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tide posted:

How would that even work? Castle, P.I., full time? While I would miss ogling Stana Katic, I could get behind Castle, P.I. plus Esposito / Ryan / Parish / Perlmutter hijinks.

Honestly the show has just about run out of legs, if it hasn't already. It's been getting incredibly goofy even by it's original standards and more than that, there's so many freaking plot holes in their conclusions now nothing makes any drat sense... and thus if they wanted to say the last few seasons have literally been Castle's books and in reality he lost his marbles after Beckett was shot, I'd be shockingly OK with that.

Seriously though, I might be wrong, but I think icing Beckett and entirely revamping the formula of the show around Castle himself could offer some much needed CPR before it flat lines. I've seen few shows willing to play it that risky, but I think with the setup and characters they have, it could be really interesting to nearly reboot the whole thing if they lose her.

ED: I might be a bit biased in that though; to me Beckett is literally just the "straight woman" to play against everyone else. Is anyone remotely invested in her? I'd literally be more bummed about Ryan or Espisto dying. Which is odd given she's such a huge part of the show. She has no motivations anymore and she's just not that interesting on her own. Her character practically is her job.

Maybe I'm being harsh.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 21, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I still want to peg down when this show went from "Castle has goofy ideas with a hint of truth, but is brought back to reality" to "Castle has goofy ideas with a hint of truth but the truth is twice as batshit and random."

If Beckett's actress pulls out, I absolutely would be shockingly OK with them retconing the last few seasons as Castle's books.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Calling it now: She makes like 3-4 appearances over the whole season, being out "campaigning" if she decides to leave the show.

If she stays, they get a new precinct set and she becomes a Captain there, but has less involvement with the show: i.e. "I can't go out on cases anymore so I'm having to send Castle with someone else today."

If she signs back on for full every episode appearances, she rejects both options and the status quo remains.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

She'd be stupid to leave the show. Realtalk: Stana Katic isn't pretty enough or talented enough to be a big star, and, even if she were, her best years are behind her. Girl needs to take the payday so she doesn't spend the rest of her life playing second fiddle to Cybil Shepard on the Lifetime movie of the week.

To be fair, I completely agree.

Like, seriously, Beckett could have died at any point in the series and oddly enough, it'd probably be less of a loss than any other member of the cast, from a viewer perspective. I'm probably in the minority on that but her character has been on the drift for a long time.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I agree that I think of Katic left, the show could have rebooted into a new enough of a format to keep on trucking for more than another season, but as it is, the gas is low.

It's the kind of shake up it needed.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

So the actress who plays Gates sent out a tweet that she won't be back in Season 8. That's kind of a shame. I rather liked her character.

But this makes it pretty darn obvious that Beckett will be the precinct's new captain.

Her name always drove me nuts because the only other thing I saw her on was DS9 as Cassidy Yates, which sounds a lot like Gates. Too bad she doesn't even have an exit episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

Supposedly season 8 is much more Castle PI than anything else.

It won't happen but I would be entirely fine if someone blew away Beckett and the entire show redevelops itself pretty much as Castle, PI. It might even put some more gas in the tank, to be honest.

• Locked thread