Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Hi everyone! Here is the super-minimalist (translation: I can't do anything clever with images) Season 7 thread for Castle.

The Basic Premise:
He's a famous mystery novelist. She's a homicide detective. Together, they fight crime.

The Main Couple: :glomp:
Rick Castle (Nathan Fillion): Wealthy, famous, ruggedly handsome, best-selling mystery novelist. Years ago was a suspect in a homicide and has been shadowing the detective ever since, falling in love along the way. :swoon:

Kate Beckett (Stana Katic): Homicide detective with a great record in catching criminals. At first was annoyed by Castle, but now they're in love and partners both in murder investigations and in life. :cop:

The Bro-Mantics: :hfive:
Kevin Ryan (Seamus Dever): Homicide detective. Questionable taste in clothes. Married to Jenny, and they have a baby girl. :stat:

Javier Esposito (Jon Huertas): Homicide detective. Former special forces guy. Has on-again, off-again relationship with Lanie Parish (see below). :wal:

At the 12th Precinct:
Lanie Parish (Tamala Jones): Medical examiner, dispenser of wisdom. Erstwhile girlfriend of Esposito. Friend of Beckett. :nyd:

Captain Victoria Gates (Penny Johnson Jerald): Initially grumpy, by-the-book captain has seen the value of the Castle/Beckett partnership to the point where she lets them work together even though they're engaged. :byodame:

At the Loft:
Martha Rogers (Susan Sullivan): Castle's Broadway diva mother, who give surprisingly decent life advice, considering. :sparkles:

Alexis Castle (Molly Quinn): Castle's college-age daughter. Straight-A student. Good kid despite occasional misstep (i.e., fruitarians). :angel:

Assorted Friends and Sworn Enemies:
Tory the tech gal: Shows up every so often to do the "enhance" thing and have Esposito make goo-goo eyes at her. :techno:

Spy Daddy: Castle's father, long unknown, revealed to be a super spy in season 5. :black101:

Senator Bracken: Evil senator behind the murder of Beckett's mother, finally arrested in season 6. :hitler:

3XK and his creepy girlfriend: 3XK is serial killer with vendetta against the 12th Precinct cops and Castle. Officially dead but if you believe that I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. :chef:

Why We Watch It :munch:
It's fun. The chemistry between Castle and Beckett is great and perhaps even better now the they're together and there's no more will-they-or-won't-they drama. The supporting cast is a joy as well (in fact, underused). The cases are fun and interesting at best, inoffensive at worst. It's low on gore and the murders have no dead kids or sexual violence - it's a put on your bunny slippers and make some popcorn show. And maybe, just maybe, that's enough.

Where we left off… :suspense:
Season 6 was a very enjoyable one. Castle proposed and Beckett said yes. She took a federal agent job in DC and was fired because of plot convenience, so she could return to the NYPD and resume business as usual. Alexis moved in with and later broke up with an annoying fruitarian. Beckett arrested Senator Evil. Spy Daddy showed up again and was kind of a tool this time. Castle and Beckett spent and episode taking care of a baby and my ovaries exploded.

Most crucially, in the season finale Castle and Beckett were getting married only to have the day thwarted by disasters great and small (Beckett's fugly wedding dress getting ruined, legal drama because of Beckett's long-ago drunken Vegas wedding she didn't remember). All was well until the closing moments when Castle, driving to the Hamptons house for the wedding, was menaced by a mysterious black SUV. Beckett was summoned to the scene to see Castle's car in a ravine and in flames. :supaburn:

Season 7 premieres 9/29 with the episode titled "Driven."

Sneak peeks released by ABC show that at the very least, Castle is not in the car. Where is he? Who was driving the SUV of Doom? Will Castle and Beckett EVER get married? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

If this season isn't the last, I think 8 would be the absolute last one. The cast members' contracts are all up this year, so a lot will depend on if they want to keep on with the show and how much money the network will throw at them. But I agree, I'd be happy with this one being the last.

But I'm calling it now: The guys in the black SUV menacing Castle just wanted to ask if he had any Grey Poupon.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I liked it. Of course we knew Castle wasn't going to be dead, but there is just enough oddball stuff thrown into his disappearance (mysterious key? old bullet scar? dengue fever?) that I can't wait to find out what's behind it.

Calling it now: That FBI dude was totally in on it, poisoning the well from the get-go. I don't know what Espo's excuse is. Still not sure how much Castle doesn't remember and how much (if any) he's faking it.

Castle should always be sunburnt and unshaven. Yum.

I kind of wish they'd done a two-hour special event. The episode was so fast-paced, and a longer run time would have given it time to breathe and to have some more character moments, esp. with Martha and Alexis.

I don't think this is a reset button. A little bumpy for the next couple episodes but then we'll be back on track.

At least this season will have a Western episode, and an alternate universe "what if we'd never met" show.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Will someone please make a gif of Castle unconscious in the dinghy and put the caption "Now I own a boat!"

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I'm thinking conspiracy-theory Castle will be in full force next episode. Right now the poor guy's just trying to get his bearings.

As for the doubting Thomases, I think Beckett's doubts came from the fact that every day she deals with people every day who insist that "I know so-and-so and they would never do something like this" and surprise, so-and-so did do that thing. Also, she had a hard time believing his memory loss because she has lied about not remembering things. For the purposes of the show, I buy it.

Except for Esposito. He was being a dick.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

They'll eat their words when it turns out he had a bomb strapped to him or something.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Actually, I'm pretty sure the cash drop was after the car crash. That confused me at first but on a second viewing i caught it - the cash drop was after the crash.

I still think the FBI guy is part of the conspiracy.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I really liked it. I'm very interested to see where they're going with this storyline, not least because we finally get a look into some of Castle's backstory (I've no objections to Beckett's character in general but I've never found her all that interesting). Not sure I buy that he was voluntarily brainwashed. There's way more going on here. And I'm especially intrigued by this mysterious event from Castle's childhood. Loved the video goodbye message - I wanted to bust through the fourth wall and give him a hug, he looked so scared and alone. :ohdear:

Calling it now: Castle will have some sort of trigger event that brings back his memories of the missing two months just in time for the February two-parter. Hijinks will ensue.

I'm also hearing that the wedding will indeed happen in a month. :

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I own all the Nikki Heat tie-ins. I read them during the summer hiatuses. The first was pretty lightweight (pretty obviously banged out in about a month after they found out they were getting a second season) but they've turned into enjoyable pulp.

I'm wondering: if time travel dude was right and Castle moves on to write serious fiction, will we get one of those books too? I'd read it.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I'm intrigued as well. I wonder if his mom knows more than she's telling. She's been very "let's not delve too deeply" on this.

I'm betting that just in time for the February sweeps two-parter, Castle's going to see or experience something that sets off a big flashback to his missing time.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

This was a fun one. Castle and Beckett getting themselves back on track and getting their attempts at sexytimes thwarted was enjoyable. Sure, the case was implausible but I've stopped expecting anything resembling reality from the show years ago.

Probably in the minority here, but I'm intrigued by the story arc with Castle's disappearance. It'll be nice to see him get some drama and backstory for a change.

Next week looks like a Kindergarten Cop homage. Should be a hoot.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I demand a spin-off series in which Castle becomes a kindergarten teacher and wears the tiara and fairy wings in every episode. I think my ovaries exploded during that scene.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I thought for sure it was going to be the behind-the-scenes camera guy.

Poor Castle and his embarrassing web commercial. Still, I'd do one of those if I'd get a million readers' eyes on my books.

The good news: next episode has the wedding! :toot:

The bad news: they're taking next week off. :bang:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

They used that same teleportation Castle used to get to Montreal and back so quickly a few episodes ago.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe Time Travel Dude from a couple seasons ago sprinkled the precinct with some magic time travel dust or something. Doesn't bother me, but I gave up anything resembling realism from this show back in season 2.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I really liked it. Fillion was a hoot, sneaking around the precinct. I liked the fact that no one's life was really miserable i the alternate universe, but everyone was much better off in the "real" one. I enjoyed the alternate universe and how it was done. The show's old enough to not give a gently caress about throwing in some unreality every so often to keep things lively. Because really, the types of crimes that the show does is quite limited. They don't do a different serial killer each week, there's no crimes involving kids in danger or nasty sexual violence. So whatever they do to keep things lively within those bounds is OK by me. Then again, although I like some episodes better than others, the show always entertains me.

I didn't mind the green screen. I was just happy to see them finally married.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Tell me I'm not the only one who wants to read alternate universe Castle's failed attempt at literary fiction.

I noticed him reading it. Hopefully he'll learn from this and his real literary fiction (as mentioned by time travel dude) will be much better.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think it was a dig at Infinite Jest. The implication was that Castle couldn't even come up with his own literary novel but had to rip off Infinite Jest, and badly at that.

I feel kind of bad for Alternate Universe Beckett. Isn't happy in her job, never found her mom's killer, and now some guy she's never met takes a bullet for her and dies declaring his love for her.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Tonight is the Wild West episode. :bahgawd: Should be loads of fun.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Not to mention that since they had to crack her sternum open to fix things, she should have a big ugly line, not just some small spot you can barely see.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

It looks like Espo's the one in danger next week.

This week's was too cute. But oddly my favorite moment came from Gates telling the boys not to be such babies. (Besides, if someone was as quick as Espo was to assume the worst of me like he did when Castle went missing, I wouldn't invite him to my wedding either.)

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

That was a nice mid-range episode. Way better than the last Esposito-centric one.

Next week looks like it's going to be freakin' epic: 80s action movies! :black101:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Season 4 is the toughest one because you spend the whole time waiting for the inevitable secrets to emerge and what that will mean for the Castle/Beckett relationship. I prefer 5 and 6 to 4. They both have some serious episodes (most notably the two-parter in 5, which is my favorite two-parter in the series) but the overall tone is much more cheery. 4 is necessary for the character development, though.

Back to the most recent episode, I let out a huge "EWWWW!" when we learned about Espo's pizza preferences. That's just nasty.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I predict he'll get a big recovery from amnesia around the time of February sweeps.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

No new episode til January, and apparently Castle will be a PI .

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I really liked the fact that Gates sees the value in Castle and likes him (even if she pretends not to at times). She wasn't gleeful about pushing him out, like she would have been in S4. She genuinely was dismayed at what she had to do.

I'm very curious to see how all this plays out, especially if it's the show's last season. We've got Castle PI, the whole disappearance arc to revisit/wrap up, and I've heard that 3XK's creepy girlfriend is due to return.

Poor Castle, going from hanging out with his boyhood action movie idols to getting canned at the precinct. So much for a merry Christmas.

Also, can we replace the boring NYPD tech gal with the mob tech gal? She was fun.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Lanie/Espo always felt like something the show threw in just to have some characters who were actually bonking, as Castle and Beckett were still in the throes of unresolved sexual tension.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Looking forward to that! 3XK episodes are always good creepy fun.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

That was absolutely awesome. It reminded me of that episode back in S2 when it was C&B vs. R&E to see who could solve a case first, and that's always been one of my favorite episodes.

Calling it now: 3XK and creepy girlfriend are back in the two-parter. Castle helps solve the case and arrest them, and Beckett and Gates use this to get him back into the precinct..

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I loved Permutter in this episode. He's always such a dick to everyone for no reason. Him chasing Castle around the morgue was gold.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

CeeJee posted:

You just know there will be an episode where he is charged with murder and hires Castle to clear him.

No, it should be Espo in this situation. He's been vaguely crabby to Castle for some time now, and I've no idea why (beyond writers' fatigue and Espo not being a very well-defined character to begin with).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I have to find a gif of that moment when the pencil falls from the ceiling and he catches it. That was beautiful.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Yes, but it looks like it's not a prank this time.

I'm excited for the two-parter - I've seen promo stills that have 3XK and his Creepy Girlfriend in custody, being questioned by C&B, and looking very pleased with themselves. That can't be good.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Really good case for this one. I got a real "Gone Girl" vibe off a lot of it.

I am jazzed for the two-parter. 3XK looking very pleased with himself = poo poo going to get real :suspense:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I knew he was being played the moment she put her hand on his knee.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I bought it; half the time when I talk to the spouse on the cell, it's all garbled and cuts out.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Oooh, what a fun, creepy ride that was. Can't wait for next week.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

It's been mentioned a few times but I think they're saving it up for end of season finale, and the big arc for Season 8 if there is one.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

The characters in this show are very resilient. Everyone should have been in therapy multiple times over the years. Luckily next week we have CANADIANS IN SPAAAAAACCCCEEE to restore equilibrium.

That was quite a ride. I found myself yelling, "Gah! gently caress!" at every commercial break.

The Beckett TV interview they got her voice from was a nice bit of heartbreak sneaked in there (with this and other references to Castle's abduction, my guess is we'll be seeing some of that come up again soon). Fillion completely rocked the house, from going ballistic on Tyson to his reaction to thinking Beckett was dead.

I'm a bit surprised that both Tyson and Nieman are dead. Great way to wrap up the arc, though. Nice fake-out with us (and Tyson) thinking that Castle was stupidly going rogue solo yet again, when he had Espo and Ryan as backup. It was all a team effort and that was great. Also kudos to having Beckett essentially save herself.

That image of the skinned face was loving creepy.

Liked how they got Castle back to the 12th. I'm assuming he'll keep his PI license and they can use his skills there when convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

I actually watched it again shortly after the first watch, which I don't normally do. Lots of little details leaped out at me. Tyson/Nieman put Beckett's wedding ring on the FakeBeckett's hand just to make Castle's pain last that much longer. Also, there was a freaking huge pool of blood under Nieman at the end so we can forget about her ever coming back (which is kind of a shame, as she and Tyson were great villains, being evil versions of C and B).

I loved how coldly Castle basically orchestrated Tyson's murder, and all within legal means, too as he was being held at gunpoint. I've always liked it when Castle stops being Mr. Awesome Huggy Bear and lets his inner bad-rear end out to play. It doesn't happen often (which is good) but when it does… :black101:

• Locked thread