Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

During WWIII the Earth was nuked. Life as we know it ceased to be possible. The only way for humanity to survive was for the thirteen space stations in orbit (all from different nations) to come together and pool their resources. Those few people in space on the Ark station were the only survivors of the global apocalypse... or so they thought.

In season 1 a group of :siren:one hundred:siren: juvenile offenders were launched from the Ark and sent to Earth, with the hope that after 97 years the planet was beginning to heal and soon the people of the Ark could return. The station was irreparably damaged, running out of air and running out of time, and desperately trying to hide this from it's inhabitants. The dropship was damaged on reentry with Earth's atmosphere, leaving the Hundred with few resources and fewer rules.

And even worse - they found that they were not alone. "Grounders" began attacking the group after a series of short range rockets they had rigged as signals to the Ark that they were still alive fell into a village. As the situation on the ground grew more dire, the Ark had it's own problems in the form of a power struggle that ended with the station damaged beyond repair. The survivors in space made the difficult decision to separate and ride the various parts of the Ark down to Earth, with the hope that some of them might survive re-entry and the landing/crash. At the same time, the Hundred make a last stand at their camp against the Grounders.

The 100 (The Hundred) enters it's second season with the Ark space station completely destroyed (except for the bit with Chancellor Jaha in it, of course. He is still hanging onto life, despite having a death wish for most of season 1). Clarke and Monty have been captured by the mysterious Mountain Men who inhabit Mount Weather. Octavia is injured and with Lincoln, a Grounder who fell in love with her and will do anything to protect her. Bellamy, her brother, and Finn have been presumed dead after being caught outside the dropship in the finale when Raven set off the engines to protect the members of the Hundred who were inside. Dr. Abby Griffin and Marcus Kane have survived their trip to Earth, but are completely isolated from other survivors from the Ark.

The 100 airs on Wednesdays at 9pm on the CW, and begins it's second season on October 22nd. Personally, I think Jaha is going to live for-ev-er. Or that really old scotch is going to kill him.

OFFICIAL | IMBD | WIKIPEDIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Paige Turco looking goofy as gently caress with that lion's mane in that banner, :lol: love her though.

I'm very excited for this season. And everyone else should be; I mean, it was a midseason show and now it's airing in the fall?

Isn't that Raven in the banner though?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder how Jaha will get to earth. I still hope he lands the ark on Mt Weather. While drinking his old scotch.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
This show is good for anyone questioning whether they should dive in. One might not expect much from a CW show, but it's fairly well plotted. The pilot had some problems, but it was able to right itself fairly quickly.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder how Jaha will get to earth. I still hope he lands the ark on Mt Weather. While drinking his old scotch.

He'll probably try to crash it on purpose because he isn't dying fast enough in space, but will survive to suffer through the rest of the season.

And yes, Raven, Finn, and Bellamy are all in the season two banner. So much for suspense, CW! :argh: However, the show hasn't been squeamish on killing off characters (except the aforementioned Jaha, but he just wants it too badly) so perhaps they aren't alive and the banner is trolling us.

Maybe.

Edit:

Teek posted:

This show is good for anyone questioning whether they should dive in. One might not expect much from a CW show, but it's fairly well plotted. The pilot had some problems, but it was able to right itself fairly quickly.

There is even a Season 1 recap video on the official website for newcomers who don't want to bother watching the whole season! Not that I recommend not watching season 1, because I don't...not...recommend it. It's well plotted and moves fairly quickly, so if you run into a plot point you're not a fan of, don't worry! It will be resolved probably in the next episode.

They also managed to do a "love triangle" that isn't terrible. In my opinion.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 24, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was surprised to see this wasn't airing tonight. I guess it gives me a bit more time to catch up as I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about this show.

Teek posted:

I think this sentiment is pretty much close to done now. As the CW has been putting out a ton of good TV the last few years. I watch more CW shows these days than any other of the broadcast networks.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I just binged through season 1 of this, (it's on Netflix Canada if you want to watch it) turns out it's a really good show. Takes a few eps to really get going but it builds nicely throughout, and the season finale really kicked it up a notch and is a genuinely awesome and exciting episode of television.

The show's got a lot going for it, fantastic cast, story moves along at a good clip, cool sci-fi theme, and even the teen drama stuff is not all that bad. Really looking forward to watching season 2 about to start. I like a show which is not afraid to shake things up and completely change its premise. Funny how quickly into the show's run that the title became totally irrelevant.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Yeah, it's now the...Seventy-three? :lol: Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Two more days until the season 2 premiere!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

hollylolly posted:

Yeah, it's now the...Seventy-three? :lol: Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Two more days until the season 2 premiere!

It turns out that exactly 27 people from the Ark survived. :downs:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

WarLocke posted:

It turns out that exactly 27 people from the Ark survived. :downs:

26....and Jaha.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I think the show should carry on following Jaha's adventures by himself in space, and just totally ignore the lack of oxygen problem.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: New Episode Tonight :siren:

The 48 (guess we have our number of survivors)

Picking up where the season one finale ended, Clarke is still alone in the white room, frantically trying to make sense of her bizarre surroundings, while the fate of Bellamy, Finn and Raven is still unknown. Lincoln and Octavia's daring plan is thwarted and an enemy returns. Meanwhile, Abby, Kane and the survivors of the Ark must face physical and moral dilemmas in their dangerous and beautiful new world. Finally, Jaha makes a heroic decision.

Prediction: Jaha decides to use the scotch to fuel his escape pod :cheeky:

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
Been waiting for this with more anticipation than any other show. I was hesitant to even give a shot to a CW series but god drat it this is everything I want in a scifi series. The writers hit the ground running. Gonna be rad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe you should do something about all that bleeding?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mount Weather has a real "Fallout" feel.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Mount Weather has a real "Fallout" feel.

Yea, almost going all the way to A Boy and His Dog.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Everybody outside of Mount Weather is so dirty.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Raven is awesome. :commissar:

I wonder what horrible secret the Mt Weather people are hiding. The soylent pie is people!

edit:

Kwyndig posted:

Everybody outside of Mount Weather is so dirty.

I like how everyone IN mt weather were all sickly and pale. Really drove home the point yea these people have been living underground for their whole lives and probably couldn't survive outside(or could they? :tinfoil:)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 23, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I'm betting the vaulters (:haw:) want/need Clarke and the gang for their genetic material/as breeding stock. They've been locked up in that vault for a hundred years, they may be at the point where everyone is related closely enough to start seeing a lot of deformities/stillborns/etc.

What I want to know is what's going on with the shost baby up there with Jaha. :tinfoil:

Also this "We're here now, we'll take over and impose our idea of laws" stuff from Kane is so not going to fly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Actually I hope that the Mt Weather people are being honest and sincere, not hiding anything from the 100. But Clarke is so paranoid she kills them all / fucks it all up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Actually I hope that the Mt Weather people are being honest and sincere, not hiding anything from the 100. But Clarke is so paranoid she kills them all / fucks it all up.

It looks like the Mt Weather people were just another faction seeking to escape the calamity (which I'm assuming wasn't actually nuclear war) like the space station people. The grounders are probably the survivors that were forced to weather whatever actually happened without some luxurious palace fortress to ride it out in.

Given what the space station ended up doing as resources got scare you can bet that the Mt people have done similar things to maintain their standard of living. Given all the cultural luxuries on display, probably the descendents of the rich and powerful who looted the world while civil society collapsed around them and billions died due to "contamination".

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Deformed mutant guy for secret, true-U.S. President. Calling it now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They got poors working the hydroponics farm, and those clothes have a fine thread count.

Sweat shops/slave labour. Grounders maybe. Clarke will MacGuyver her way to become king of the Morlocks. Book it.
Space camp is working for me too.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I'm betting the vaulters (:haw:) want/need Clarke and the gang for their genetic material/as breeding stock. They've been locked up in that vault for a hundred years, they may be at the point where everyone is related closely enough to start seeing a lot of deformities/stillborns/etc.
Wouldn't be surprised if that is part of their plan. Although honestly if I were the prez I dunno why it would be that much of a bad idea to have them follow with their team seeing as they might be more familiar with the terrain and flora and fauna. Just seems a little too evil to keep them locked up. Did like the minor detail that most of the Mt. Weather people are pale as gently caress and need supplemental vitamin D.

I really liked the adults but I'm certain they'll piss us off now because they're on the ground and think they know better than Bellamy and Finn. Can't wait for them to break out.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I wonder what happened to the grounder chief lady who was in the dropship at the end of last season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

They got poors working the hydroponics farm, and those clothes have a fine thread count.

Sweat shops/slave labour. Grounders maybe. Clarke will MacGuyver her way to become king of the Morlocks. Book it.
Space camp is working for me too.

The sheer amount of luxury on display means there is a massive underclass slaving away to provide that to the privileged ones. Just the food alone means the need a massive amount of labor to harvest the basic goods, process it, refine it, cook it, etc. and none of the dozens of people stuffing their faces would've been any part of it.

The "de-contamination" thing seemed weird. Was that just some basic dialysis or was the placement of the ports more significant?

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Sober posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if that is part of their plan. Although honestly if I were the prez I dunno why it would be that much of a bad idea to have them follow with their team seeing as they might be more familiar with the terrain and flora and fauna. Just seems a little too evil to keep them locked up. Did like the minor detail that most of the Mt. Weather people are pale as gently caress and need supplemental vitamin D.

I really liked the adults but I'm certain they'll piss us off now because they're on the ground and think they know better than Bellamy and Finn. Can't wait for them to break out.

You have to wonder at the end game of the Mount Weather people. They locked themselves away and ended up becoming a crippled and deformed minority in a world ruled by the strong. The whole world could be repopulated and they really have no future in it. My guess is Clarke and her people fit into some scheme to eventually leave their confines. I just can't think of how they would do it. You'd think if it was a matter of breeding more genetically fit children they would have taken Grounders. I guess they could have been terrified of Grounders and see inexperienced kids as a safer option.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

I wonder what happened to the grounder chief lady who was in the dropship at the end of last season.

Her dropship exploded and she's been gone for a whole, she's dead.

Nice to see that this show continues to be one of the most violent on the CW. Especially because unlike Supernatural or The Vampire Diaries there aren't any supernatural elements and its just normal people dying.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Her dropship exploded and she's been gone for a whole, she's dead.

Nice to see that this show continues to be one of the most violent on the CW. Especially because unlike Supernatural or The Vampire Diaries there aren't any supernatural elements and its just normal people dying.

No that was treasonous assassin space lady. Wasn't the actual grounder cheiftain (chieftess?) holed up in the kids' dropship fortress when they burned all the grounders with the blast?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

WarLocke posted:

No that was treasonous assassin space lady. Wasn't the actual grounder cheiftain (chieftess?) holed up in the kids' dropship fortress when they burned all the grounders with the blast?

Yeah during the battle she ran into the ship just as the door was closing and the kids attacked her until Clarke called them off, so she definitely was not dead. No sign of her in the premiere though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I loved when Kane and the rest of the Arkfall (yeah, I went there) people came out all :smug: "We're here now. It'll be all right." :swoon:

So far the Mountain Men have been everything I've wanted. They are setting it up to be an interesting contrast between them and the adults from the Ark. I just hope we get some meaningful scenes where the Ark adults and the Mt Weather guys actually try and hash things out or argue who should be the true heirs to civilization. Particularly if we can get Jaha back in play to go up against the President. The contrasts and similarities between the ways both groups survived and held onto the old civilization should be interesting. And then you throw in the Grounders and it's a stew of fun culture clashes.

There's a few ways they can go with Mt Weather. On the one hand, there's the "traditional" post apoc trope of "here's some surviving people calling themselves the US Govt. Turns out they are complete assholes." Or the Jeremiah route of "we're turning it on it's head--the people in the bunker really are sincere Good Guys."

Or they could do something a bit different from either of those and present them as flawed, but not totally bad guys who did what they had to do in the past century but basically kept it together and mostly did the right thing. And maybe they can either present a competing or complimentary plan of action to rebuild the world vs the Ark guys.

What I don't want to see is Clarke finding some fatal flaw in their world, bringing them down, and leading her people out of it's burning ruins to finally reunite with her mom, Kane and Gaeta and say "yeah, those guys were a bunch of tools." I want to see the Ark adults and the Mt Weather guys interact. I also like the idea of Clarke tilting against the windmill of thinking the Mt Weather guys are totes bad but she's actually completely wrong. :laugh: Since she's always preternaturally correct about everything I somehow doubt that will be the case.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

What I love is Jaha saying how tired he is [of living], sending his last message to earth, turning off all the power on the station...

...and whaddya know, someone left a baby behind. Jaha can't seem to kill himselfcatch a break - his sense of duty won't let him ignore the innocent in danger. I'm intrigued by his new dilemma. Ultimately having a baby to take care of could give his life a new sense of purpose.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't he all kinds of hosed with food, water and power?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

hollylolly posted:

What I love is Jaha saying how tired he is [of living], sending his last message to earth, turning off all the power on the station...

...and whaddya know, someone left a baby behind. Jaha can't seem to kill himselfcatch a break - his sense of duty won't let him ignore the innocent in danger. I'm intrigued by his new dilemma. Ultimately having a baby to take care of could give his life a new sense of purpose.

Yeah, following Jaha's struggles as a single dad alone in space is not how I expected his storyline to go this season but i'd be happy to see that.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah, following Jaha's struggles as a single dad alone in space is not how I expected his storyline to go this season but i'd be happy to see that.

I figure he'll find a way to get them both to earth in the next two episodes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

hollylolly posted:

I figure he'll find a way to get them both to earth in the next two episodes.

I'd be chocked if that isn't exactly where this is heading.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Jaha holding an infant while they both asphyxiate in space is a little dark, even for this show.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

Isn't he all kinds of hosed with food, water and power?

Considering he's one person on a station that used to hold a couple thousand and in a section that had probably a hundred plus people he'd be fine for a while.

I'm disappointed that Kane reverts right back to being a huge dick after landing. He had some pretty good character growth in the first season.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 26, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He'll be good, just laying down the law early. Plus that baby isn't there, pretty sure we all know that. It's his little thing that keeps him alive and thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Considering he's one person on a station that used to hold a couple thousand and in a section that had probably a hundred plus people he'd be fine for a while.

I'm disappointed that Kane reverts right back to being a huge dick after landing. He had some pretty good character growth in the first season.
It's not really that he's a dick again, it's more so that he is pretty much the leader of the Ark adults on the ground now - remember we're used to the 100 (or the grounders 2.0) getting their way because we know Bellamy/Finn/Clarke/etc are totally in charge but it was pretty obvious when they came down it'd be business as usual (remember Bellamy trying to make them think they were all dead?). It's probably not an accident the writers set it up so Clarke isn't with the group that Kane finds.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Bellamy and Finn try to go rally for help from the adults to look for Clarke and the rest of their people and Kane immediately shoots them down and Abby does something risky to help them or is the only one willing to go (or Kane can't let her go since she's pretty much the only doctor).

• Locked thread