Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah, I forgot to check out the after credits scene before asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

And now we wait...

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I just have a question about Saber. I've only watched Fate/Zero so bear with me. Is there a reason why Saber has no reaction to learning that Shirou was Kiritsugu's adopted son? I'm assuming this story is taking off from where Fate/Zero ended, so I expected Saber being the servant of her previous master's son would be some sort of plot point, but so far it isn't? If the reason for this is spoilery, just let me know and I'll wait. It's just a bit annoying that whenever Kiritsugu's name comes up, Saber's reaction isn't that of complete contempt.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Mad Lupine posted:

I just have a question about Saber. I've only watched Fate/Zero so bear with me. Is there a reason why Saber has no reaction to learning that Shirou was Kiritsugu's adopted son? I'm assuming this story is taking off from where Fate/Zero ended, so I expected Saber being the servant of her previous master's son would be some sort of plot point, but so far it isn't? If the reason for this is spoilery, just let me know and I'll wait. It's just a bit annoying that whenever Kiritsugu's name comes up, Saber's reaction isn't that of complete contempt.

The reason is that Fate/Zero was written afterwards, and is meant to be watched after you've read FSN. Being in the same position myself, I just find Saber's character odd in general, in a way I can't really place exactly. The way she's acting doesn't seem to flow very well from Fate/Zero.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Mad Lupine posted:

I like to think that it's because Saber sees Shirou differently from Kiritsugu, and thus is willing to give him a chance. Her reaction was probably disguised anyways.

Besides, it would be a short anime if the main character was killed two episodes in.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Saber does eventually talk about Kiritsugu when the 4th war comes up... In Fate. To my recollection this is never relevant in UBW or HF but I could be wrong.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Saber reacts to Kiritsugu's name very subtly. She just keeps her composure well. Her rocky relationship with Kiritsugu was dealt with more in the Fate route, though. I'm pretty sure she actually does bring up her difficulty there in reconciling the Kiritsugu she knew with the one Shirou spoke of.
Actually, a lot of things that are introduced in Fate/Zero for the purpose of setting up things for Fate/stay night are dealt with mostly in either Fate or Heaven's Feel.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Lord Justice posted:

The reason is that Fate/Zero was written afterwards, and is meant to be watched after you've read FSN. Being in the same position myself, I just find Saber's character odd in general, in a way I can't really place exactly. The way she's acting doesn't seem to flow very well from Fate/Zero.

Oh I forgot about F/Z being written afterwards. That's pretty disappointing. If this is really the case, I just wished they took it upon themselves to at least make Saber get up and leave the room when Kiritsugu was mentioned. Maybe even just a grimace.

Variant_Eris posted:

I like to think that it's because Saber sees Shirou differently from Kiritsugu, and thus is willing to give him a chance. Her reaction was probably disguised anyways.

Besides, it would be a short anime if the main character was killed two episodes in.

I wasn't really thinking that Saber would have held it against Shirou. It doesn't really fit her character.

Now that I think about it, didn't Saber react when she saw Ilya? Correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn her eyes went wide when she saw Ilya. Maybe it's just me looking into this too hard.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Well it looks like it's finally getting to the point where the plot stops dragging it's feet so much. Now we just gotta wait 4 months. I'm honestly pretty disappointed with the first half. The fights and stuff we did get were cool and all, but the pacing was awful.

Now imagine reading the VN with about 6 hours of boring exposition added. So far I'd recommend the anime over the VN to anyone new to the series. It's a LOT more concise, and there are even some neat little action scenes added like Rin vs Illya.

edit: I can't remember if she does it in the VN but Saber reacts very slightly when Shirou tells her his name. As to why she doesn't have a stronger reaction it's because FSN was written before FZ and it was supposed to be a big twist. The events of the first war were very vague in FSN, I'd say just ignore Fate Zero, it's like the Star Wars prequels, a lot of stuff was squeezed in and doesn't make sense in hindsight because they were just making a lot of poo poo up and trying to make it fit into the established story.

Zahki fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 28, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mad Lupine posted:

Now that I think about it, didn't Saber react when she saw Ilya? Correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn her eyes went wide when she saw Ilya. Maybe it's just me looking into this too hard.
They definitely did, but that was added for the anime, it didn't happen - or at least wasn't mentioned - in F/SN, at least not during that scene.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Mad Lupine posted:

Yeah, as said numerous times in thread, Fate/Zero was written after Fate/Stay Night, so the characterization of Kerry wasn't quite as set yet. There were some mentions of him in the Fate route, which focuses more on Saber, but as this is the UBW route, Saber's stuff is pushed to the background. Sure, they could probably could've added an extra scene or two addressing this, but they can't just insert a plot point wholesale into the route like that, which is already established.

EDIT: beaten handily

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She did react to Shiro having the same last name and the same goes for Ilya. With Shiro it wasn't very pronounced, while with Ilya it's a lot more obvious.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

GhostStalker posted:

but they can't just insert a plot point wholesale into the route like that, which is already established.

I can't really think of a reason for this beyond making the rabid FSN fanbase angry that the story wasn't a 1:1 retelling. They probably should have inserted a storyline in there about it because the main reason the anime adaptation was created was the popularity of Fate Zero, and frankly the VN just isn't that good that good in the first place and could've probably used some tinkering to make the story a bit better anyway.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Mad Lupine posted:

While that scene was added in the anime, almost every anime original scene they added to tie UBW more in with Fate/Zero has been well received. Makes me want to see what they're saving for the second cour.

Zahki posted:

I can't really think of a reason for this beyond making the rabid FSN fanbase angry that the story wasn't a 1:1 retelling. They probably should have inserted a storyline in there about it because the main reason the anime adaptation was created was the popularity of Fate Zero, and frankly the VN just isn't that good that good in the first place and could've probably used some tinkering to make the story a bit better anyway.
That kind of thinking was what contributed to the DEEN anime being such crap. Shoehorning plot points from other routes into Fate didn't work all that well and created a muddled mess.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 28, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zahki posted:

They probably should have inserted a storyline in there about it because the main reason the anime adaptation was created was the popularity of Fate Zero, and frankly the VN just isn't that good that good in the first place and could've probably used some tinkering to make the story a bit better anyway.

The ideal follow-up to Zero would fuse both Fate and Heaven's Feel, and that, uh... wouldn't really work out.

UBW definitely could have done with some chaff being cut though, yeah.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I totally forgot about this turn of events. But now that I remember, I hate that we're going to have to wait 3 months to see what comes next.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Gifs from the episode:

Seiba first:

And Kirei:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
18 gifs in a post is probably too much even for timg, so I'll do half at a time.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That was pretty climactic. I guess it's better than the VN, where the whole scene takes place in Shirou's living room.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I really enjoyed the date scenes in this latest episodes. Nasu was wise to say that UBW is not going to be a sequel in tone to zero, and honestly, I'm pretty glad for that. stay night is its own beast, and I'd hate to kill all the relaxing, comedic scenes for the sake of making it into something it's not. That said, I did really enjoy the changes made to the sequence of events in this episode as opposed to how it plays out in the VN, especially with Taiga going to the graveyard.

I felt this season played pretty conservatively with the source material, and there's certainly something to be said about that. The added stuff was also really nice, especially for viewers coming right from zero into this show. To those expecting a "true" sequel series to zero were probably pretty disappointed, but as someone whose first exposure to this franchise was the VN, I really couldn't have asked for much more out of this show so far. Now for the very painful waiting for the second cour, where each episode is going to be absolutely jam-packed with content. To those complaining about the slice of life stuff in this show so far, all I can say is that the amount of slice of life scenes absolutely nosedives in the second half of UBW.

Also, for some reason my favorite little detail from this episode is Saber's ahoge sticking out of her batting helmet. ufotable is having a lot of fun with the material here, that I can tell.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shirou you loving idiot.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Other half:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Not enough gifs of the many, many times Saber is indulging in food during that date. If there's one thing I kind of like in this adaptation, it's that Saber's "throughout history, kings have always been hungry" trait is a lot more subtle.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Everyone should keep in mind that the third gif, if animated by most other studios, would have included a panty shot. That's refreshing after 13 episodes of Grisaia.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was pretty impressed that they took a direct upskirt shot without making it fanservicey at all.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Twiddy posted:

Not enough gifs of the many, many times Saber is indulging in food during that date.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Saber just looks so happy. :(

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Loved the inclusion of the reworked disillusion (OP from the original DEEN production) for the ED.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Raenir Salazar posted:

Of course she would. Back then, it would've been:
"No! Bad Arturia! You soiled the carpet! No dinner for you tonight!"

Now, it's more like:
"Alright, it's fine. I understand you didn't do it on purpose. Go and get dinner while I clean this up."

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

And now she is enslaved to Caster awaiting torture. What a terrible end to a date. :negative:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

All I keep seeing is the guys dooming past in the background. I just can't ignore it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mad Lupine posted:

It's because the connection between master and servant allows her to know that the way she remembers Kiritsugu is nothing like how Shirou remembered him.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Cool twist with my boy Lancer, glad to see him. Kotomine is probably playing the super long long game, can't wait to see what the hell he's up to.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Cromlech posted:

Cool twist with my boy Lancer, glad to see him. Kotomine is probably playing the super long long game, can't wait to see what the hell he's up to.

The second cour should be way more entertaining, there's some rad poo poo on the way for sure

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Barent posted:

The second cour should be way more entertaining, there's some rad poo poo on the way for sure

The people who've never played the VN have absolutely no idea what's in store for them... and if the quality of this cour and Fate/Zero is anything to go off of... it's gonna be :krad:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mederlock posted:

The people who've never played the VN have absolutely no idea what's in store for them... and if the quality of this cour and Fate/Zero is anything to go off of... it's gonna be :krad:
I've read spoilers and I still have no idea what'll hit me.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Seriously, if you've been having issue with the pacing, this is the point everyone kept telling you to wait for. It picks up big time now.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Yeah, chalk me up as another guy coming from Fate/Zero and actually getting excited for UBW now. That first cour was...Not so great, personally. I'm aware FSN is different from F/Z, but christ. I think the thing that bothered me the most is basically we're kind of forced to pay attention to Rin and Shirou being stupid and making stupid decisions constantly. Rin leaving Archer behind all the time (Why? I seriously don't understand why she keeps doing that, this last episode even repeats the issue with a bounded field we had in the school a couple episodes ago!) and Shirou fighting Servants, among other examples.

I honestly wish Caster was the protagonist now, so she can actually win. She's certainly putting in the effort and actually taking this seriously, unlike our protagonists. I hope she ganks Archer at some point too, preferably when he's sitting in Rin's house doing nothing while Rin is off doing whatever. That scene with Saber looking sad after getting captured actually made me laugh, it was just kind of ridiculous and didn't feel like it had much weight to it. If the next cour is Caster getting down to business it should be a lot better.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Shirou has a peculiar form of quantum immortality: if he ever acted even slightly differently he would immediately die for reasons that he couldn't possibly have known ahead of time. So whenever you seem him act stupid, keep in mind that in another timeline there was another Shirou who acted smart and immediately died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Lord Justice posted:

Yeah, chalk me up as another guy coming from Fate/Zero and actually getting excited for UBW now. That first cour was...Not so great, personally. I'm aware FSN is different from F/Z, but christ. I think the thing that bothered me the most is basically we're kind of forced to pay attention to Rin and Shirou being stupid and making stupid decisions constantly. Rin leaving Archer behind all the time (Why? I seriously don't understand why she keeps doing that, this last episode even repeats the issue with a bounded field we had in the school a couple episodes ago!) and Shirou fighting Servants, among other examples.

I honestly wish Caster was the protagonist now, so she can actually win. She's certainly putting in the effort and actually taking this seriously, unlike our protagonists. I hope she ganks Archer at some point too, preferably when he's sitting in Rin's house doing nothing while Rin is off doing whatever. That scene with Saber looking sad after getting captured actually made me laugh, it was just kind of ridiculous and didn't feel like it had much weight to it. If the next cour is Caster getting down to business it should be a lot better.

Well, Rin usually has reasons not to bring Archer along. And ever since Archer's odd behavior at Caster's temple, she's been avoiding taking him along while she's working with Shirou, and also trying to avoid directly confronting Caster. Basically, she doesn't fully trust him. That's the main reason for her acting separately from Archer.

• Locked thread