Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sylphid posted:

The only really big problem I had with UBW as a plot was that Kirei dies an almost completely ignoble death, considering his importance to the story overall and his starring role in zero, but I guess that's something that can wait until the Heaven's Feel movie(s). Other than that, I am highly looking forward to this.

He gets to make Lancer look awesome, I think that's a worthwhile way to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

They just made another post confirming it'll be available in "North America, Central America, South America, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Ireland", so :toot:

Two episodes at 11 AM tomorrow from the sounds of it. The premiere is available to everyone, right, not just premium users?

Usually with CR, anything newly aired is unavailable to non-subscribers for a period of one week, after that anyone can watch it, albeit with ads and smaller resolution. I would assume the same would be the case with this.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 4, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

That's kind of lame. It would be better if it had the ability to always hit you, but you could prevent death by deflecting it after it's made contact with you or something (sort of like when Killua is fighting that fish guy with the darts in HxH).

Mythologically, it's one of those "always fatal" weapons, and I think Nasu had some interesting interpretations as to how it worked given the conflicting myths about it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think honestly that was the best fight scene in the entire franchise. It really helps demonstrate just how powerful Servants are and why even the most powerful mortal magus probably can't stand up to them for more than a second.

I never got a chance to get past the prologue of FSN but from what I remember this was close minus a large chunk of internal monologue'ing.

This was confirmed to be its own independent work loosely based on UBW right or am I thinking about Heaven's Feel?

What would happen if you tried to summon someone that by rights should be a Heroic Spirit and has a legend but by some quirk never actually died?

I think this gets infodumped in the next episode or two, but basically most of the servants are copies of souls summoned from something that exists outside time, that acts is kind of a hero afterlife. There are exceptions though, and I don't think it ever explains in depth why that's the case.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 6, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Honest Ray posted:

Has this Saber been summoned in every Holy Grail War? I wish we could see some of the rosters pre HGW4. I just love reading about the different characters in things like Fate/Extra and Apocrypha.

I don't think so. Details on earlier wars are pretty slim, but it seemed like the catalyst for summoning her was discovered shortly before the 4th, so its fairly unlikely.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Silynt posted:

Could someone clarify the concept of "routes" for me? I haven't played these, or any, VNs. Do they tell the same story, from different perspectives? Or are they same base story, with divergent plots? If so, is it a "few small differences that snowball to change everything" situation, or are they entirely different from the get go?

Depends on the game really, but in F/SN its the "few small differences" one. Its all the same story, but the choices of the first few days cause the events of the rest of the game to change pretty wildly. It'll be easier to explain in an episode or two, when we can compare what's happened by then with how the same events played out in the route previously adapted.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You should probably edit that post out, actually.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mikl posted:

It's been a while since I read the VN, and I don't remember a detail I'm curious about. Spoilers, obviously.

Is Archer lying when he says he doesn't remember who he is, or does he actually not remember until later? (I know who Archer is, I just don't remember this detail.)

I don't think the VN ever actually answers that question. I think you're meant to assume that he's lying, but I don't recall any line confirming or denying this fact.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Most of his dumbassness is due to wanting to keep Saber out of danger, which is caused by the how the early fight against Berzerker went. That fight turns out differently in other routes, so he never goes full on sexist.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Bholder posted:

Fate path by itself is easily the weakest and not just because of Shirou.

But speaking of the actual series at hand, I don't remember the actual significance of all these incidents we keep hearing about, do we even learn anything about them on UBW?

Do you mean the things with groups of people passing out? I think that gets explained (or at least implied) in Fate, but I can't remember for sure, so spoilers (its a minor thing anyway) IIRC, its Caster draining prana from people en masse to build power. Kinda the same thing as the runes Rin found around the school, except remote as she's a better magician than the culprit of that, and a bit more subtle since its non-fatal. The crime scene was Rider I think.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 11, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

JosephWongKS posted:

The "Fate" in "Fate/Stay Night" maps onto the name of the first route of the story, but do "Stay" and "Night" mean anything pertinent in the context of the other two routes respectively, or are they just Engrish that sounded good to the writers?

Probably the latter. I can't recall anything that makes them relevant, other than a majority of the action taking place at night.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Someone needs to gif Rin's shiteating grin when she's teasing Shirou about Saber early on.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nate RFB posted:

Couldn't get it to really work in gif format but this shot was also pretty amusing:

:buddy:

Yeah that one in particular was the shot I was thinking of.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Grouchio posted:

I think this episode had the best fight choreography I've seen in many years, if not ever!

Now why is Shirou convulsing?

I think he got hit by some rock shrapnel or something, I forget for sure though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
They're adding a lot of everything. I don't remember the scenes with Saber wandering the school happening, and the bits with Rin alone didn't either.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
He also doesn't think there's any mages besides Rin at the school. And subterfuge isn't exactly a skill Saber excels at.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Should ask in the Type moon thread. I guess I'll go ahead and answer there.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Fate Lancer didn't need no sexyness curse to be the ladies man of his mythological era.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Grouchio posted:

...Why is my quote in gold??

it happens when someone quotes you now, I think.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

p sure kiritsugu was the one who sniped the serial killer in the head

in the chest. He wouldn't have had a chance to monologue about how pretty his blood was if he got headshotted.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Grouchio posted:

Does it really matter? Doesn't make Gil any less powerful.

In other news, this episode was the funniest/most ship-worthy this season yet. God I hope this isn't split-cour!

Pretty sure it is.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
a gif of the face Rin makes at Shirou at his doorstep would own.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I meant the one a few seconds later, but that one's good too.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't remember him spending his last command spell there in the VN.

Edit: thought this was the other thread, i'm dum

Blhue fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
my bad, didn't check which thread I was in before posting. edited it out

• Locked thread