Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

"Let us tell the story of a certain man. The tale of a man who, more than anyone else, believed in his ideals, and by them was driven into despair."

Summary
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works is an anime adaptation of the 2004 Visual Novel, Fate/Stay Night. It tells the story of Shiro Emiya, an earnest and kind of hard-headed teenager who looks up to the Hero's Dream. One day he is wrapped up in the events of the Holy Grail War and must fight with his newly attained servant, Saber, to defeat the other masters and servants and grant his wish.

Staff
Director: Takahiro Miura
Music: Hideyuki Fukasawa
Studio: ufotable
Original Creator: Kinoko Nasu
Original Character Design: Takashi Takeuchi
Art Director: Koji Eto
Opening: "ideal white" by Mashiro Ayano
Ending: "believe" by Kalafina

:siren:Spoiler Bullshit:siren:
Now, while FSN is a separate entity from Fate/Zero for the most part, there should be no spoiler tags for Fate/Zero. I recommend if you have not seen Fate/Zero, go do so now. All 26 episodes are on Netflix right now, dubbed even, so in case you want to like do something else while watching it, you can. Now, FZ was made after FSN, nothing in FZ directly spoils you on anything from FSN. So that also being said... shut the gently caress up about the anime from 2006. It's not a good anime and it covers a part of the series that literally no one likes over the other two, but it still has elements from Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel not to mention the personalities of certain characters who come back from FZ. Oh yeah, don't talk about the UBW movie either, obviously. That being said, you do not NEED to see FZ to enjoy UBW. After all, it was made before FZ was so pretty much anyone who was a fan of Fate enjoyed these stories far before Kiritsugu's mental breakdown was shown in glorious 1080p. UBW is by and large its own self-contained story, by some things from FZ will still tickle you in a certain way.

This OP will contain spoilers from FZ mostly because first-time FZ watchers are going to recognize like half of the cast and I'm not going to try and restrict conversation on that, it's dumb. The Fate/Zero thread as it is now kind of functions as our Type-Moon general thread. If you have any questions about Tsukihime, Fate, or the series by and large, ask there.

CHARACTERS

Shiro Emiya (VA: Noriaki Sugiyama/Sam Riegel)

The only survivor of the Holy Grail's Fire in Fuyuki City. Shiro was adopted by Kiritsugu and through him learned of the Hero's Ideal. Unlike his father who had become broken person when he was young, Shiro is a normal, hard-working goof who just goes to high school. Despite his normal life though, Shiro's one desire is to be seen as a hero and help people. It is through an unfortunate set of circumstances that he is entered into the Fifth Holy Grail War and now fights to both survive and see to it that no one with evil intentions obtains the Grail. Shiro is not very well versed in the way of magic. In fact, he sucks at it and the only thing he knows how to do is Projection magic. All Shiro knows how to do is reinforce the strength of objects and recreate them, beyond this he has extensive kendo training from his adoptive older sister/caretaker Taiga Fujimura. Shiro is considered a worthless master in just about every way.

Rin Tohsaka (VA: Kana Ueda/Mela Lee)

The remaining remnant of the Tohsaka Bloodline and daughter of Tokiomi. Rin now lives in the Tohsaka manor with Kirei as her only guardian who lives separate from her. She goes to the same high school as Shiro and is considered the most elegant and esteemed girl there. In reality, she is a slob of a girl who is easy to aggravate. Her desire at first seems to just be establishing the Tohsaka name in the war, but she really joins just because of her competitive nature. In order to win, she teams up with Shiro Emiya, partially out of wanting to protect him and partially because she likes messing with him. Despite her attitude, Rin is very knowledgeable in the ways of magic having learned from both her father and Kirei and generally being very studious. She is what an ideal master strives to be and is a sure win for the War.

Saber/Arturia Pendragon (VA: Ayako Kawasumi/FSN TV: Kate Higgins, UBW Movie: Michelle Ruff, FZ: Kari Wahlgren)

Shiro's Servant and the King of Knights returning for the Fifth Holy Grail War. Saber's existence this time is a complete luck of the draw, most likely to counteract Shiro's garbage magi skills. Saber is still very much as no nonsense and honor based as before, although this time she has new head to butt with, Shiro. Unlike Kiritsugu, Shiro is a fool who glorifies the idea of being a hero which infuriates Saber to no end given how much she hates her past. Despite all of that, Saber is still powerful enough to be able to fight on even ground with other servants despite her weak master. She once again wishes to save her kingdom and Shiro wants to see her wish come true.

Archer (VA: Junichi Suwabe/Liam O' Brien)

Rin's Servant and a man who remembers nothing of his own past as a legendary hero. Archer is cynical, nihilistic, and protective of others. Archer's existence as a person is a contradiction because as much as he tries to act like an adult he still shows signs of childish feelings beneath it all. He's very protective of Rin and very derisive of Shiro. Archer's own feelings of what a hero is clash with Shiro's so much that Shiro feels nothing, but disdain and anger towards Archer as he is harshly mocked. Archer is very knowledgeable of magic, but his specialty seems to be in creating swords and using them as ammo, yes ammo. Archer is not an Archer in the traditional sense, his swords are his arrows. He's skilled in swordsmanship and has a photographic memory of all of the swords he's created even including their history.

Sakura Mato (VA: Noriko Shitaya/FSN: Sherry Lynn, FZ: Cristina Valenzuela)

The last hope of magic in the Mato family and Rin's estranged sister. Sakura's childhood was a hell of being used as a tool by the Mato family and she had to witness people she cared about dying in front of her or leaving her at a young age. It's been so many years and now she seems to be very happy in High School. She is a part of the Archery Club, she helps her upperclassman, Shiro at his home with cooking and taking care of the house and has a crush on him. The only problem for her in her personal life is her brother, Shinji.

Lancer (VA: Nobutoshi Canna/Tony Oliver)

A mysterious servant who Shiro witnesses fighting Archer in the field of Homurahara Academy at night. Nothing is known about the Servant other than he wields a red spear and has an insane killing intent.

Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPItqNsCXM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZB_Yq07aMs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61RuoLIlCUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEp3Mr5cHlI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4n-1OCK2vo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWbt1raUgxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZPAOPA4AN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTqo2XG1QPU

If you want to talk about the Heaven's Feel movies coming out, that's fine too. There's not really enough room for discussion on those without spoilers though as we only have one trailer announced for it. On the subject of streaming services, Aniplex USA, Hulu, and Crunchyroll will all be streaming Unlimited Blade Works and Aniplex USA will probably do US releases of this given they did so for Fate/Zero. It will start :siren:October 4th:siren: and be streamed earlier in certain places on :siren:September 28th:siren:. Just like Fate/Zero there will be a break after the first half and it will pick back up in April of next year.

Unlimited Blade Works is my favorite part of the series and I love everything about it, from the characters, to the fights, and to the way relationships between everyone develops. The climax is legit one of my favorite things ever and to see that Hideyuki Fukasawa is doing the music makes me happy because I love all of the soundtracks from SF4, SFxT, and MVC3. Let's all have fun with watching swords break and anime teenagers date.

His body is made out of swords
His blood is of iron and his heart of glass
He survived through countless battles
Not even once retreating
Not even once being victorious
The bearer lies here alone
Forging iron in a hill of swords
Thus, my life needs no meaning
This body is made out of infinite swords

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

are the lesbian sex scenes in this route or a different one?

That's Fate.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shiro's the best and I love him. If you hate him before you actually see the show, that's understandable, but I ask that you chill and just let it all happen.

Let the Emiya just wash all over you, my friend, it's quite good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Let's save this awful discussion for when the movies come out and everyone hates her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Should I just post the Shiki can kill Servants image right now or should I wait? Maybe we can have more paragraphs mentioning poo poo about Heaven's Feel which has had one trailer that shows Sakura look towards the camera and that's it? I'm excited too, but we need to chill out here.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You have no idea how hyped I am for Fukasawa remixes of Fate music.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

I just hope they don't do anything crazy with Emiya, that's the one track that obviously I think you have to leave alone. I can't imagine they would though, they played the Vita version in one of the trailers I think.

Emiya has had so many remixes that my favorite part of new Fate material is another new remix of it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rin is beautiful, how dare you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just watched the episode and man is the introduction a lot of fun now that I don't have to scroll through loving 3 hours of long diatribes on magic and the Tohsaka family line. I'm kind of disappointed it didn't end the way it does there, but I got a loving sick action scene so it's all good. The three tracks of music they used in this episode sounded lovely and the voice acting is still super good. Gilgamesh, my kingu. Looking forward to the next ep where my second favorite character gets his start.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah, they did remove Ayako and Rin's weird sexual tension didn't they?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rise and Tokiomi walking around Kirei had to be the funniest thing I've seen in Fate and this is a series of unintentionally funny poo poo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We need more Taiga.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just an FYI, Shiro is a focus of the UBW route, but this is largely because he's the protagonist. Rin is basically on the same level as Shiro in terms of being a protagonist and whatnot due to her also being a narrator and someone whose history has a heavy hand in the story. UBW is actually the first of two routes where she essentially is the focus along with Shiro, so don't assume just because he's the central protagonist that she's going to immediately be forgotten or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What I'm saying is shut the gently caress up and chill out about Shiro until the next episode is out, jesus christ. He barely was in this episode.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Archer is Kiritsugu, get owned people against utilitarianism.

Cromlech posted:

drat dude, relax. I'm with you, its not like I'm letting people who have played the VN color my experiences from the get go. Somehow I've managed to avoid most spoilers about this series by being a lowly anime watcher since F/Z first came out.

My apologies for being so rude.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 6, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And how'd that turn out for him?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
His greatest enemy is literally living down the street from him.

EDIT:

Compendium posted:

he raised a VN protagonist...

One that is cooler than him in every way.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 6, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, I'm gonna have to ask that like... people not talk about characters that show up outside of episodes we've seen. Even though we know Kirei is in the show from just like Rin's description and him talking to her. We are mentioning too much of like "If X Character has a proper character arc or not, how good x character is, how big is Shiro's dick, etc." I have to ask we not bring up Fate either despite the fact it's not going to be covered. There's too much that's covered in it that effects the other two arcs that will probably be covered by the anime.

Just like, be careful about what you say. I feel like we've been towing the line a bit and these paragraphs on paragraphs of discussion of stuff are getting a bit ridiculous.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh come the gently caress on, seriously? Do I have to close this thread between every god drat episode?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress it, I'm closing this until the next episode happens.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
New episode's out in two hours, here's an image of Rin loving poo poo up.

A Type-Moon thread is being made for reasons, as well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Look a bit lower, dude.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thread's up

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671286

Don't look at the thread if you don't want to see spoilers, because there will be plenty of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Noriaki Sugiyama is still voicing Shiro, he's just gotten older since Realta Nua so his voice has changed a bit since then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"Ah, the walking is in Kirei's court now, Shiro Emiya."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, keep making them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't worry, Shiro is Rin's Speedwagon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We literally know nothing about the Heaven's Feel movie beyond the one trailer and that it's based on the Heaven's Feel route. I would not be surprised to see them use parts of this anime to help advertise the movie, but they will probably be their own separate things.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's in the priest's handbook that you must circle whoever you're expositing to.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh you're gonna get a fight.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

her lewdness is a great nightmare.

Rin Tohsaka is a terrifying woman.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Squidster posted:

What happened to Saber? Why is she a robot maid now? She had a personality and ideals in Fate Zero, but this version of her seems like some kind of generic knife waifu.

Don't do this

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't read the Fate/Zero thread, was the discussion on opening episodes as bad as this or did people act like it was the best show ever when Caster murdered that child?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

Did you ever really think a thread associated with this franchise would be any good

because that would be a foolish thing to think

I want to believe in my fellow posters, but it seems that even a belief such as that is foolish. My ideal has betrayed me so I must go back to the root and destroy that hope I once had.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Saber does stuff, she's just not as prominent as she is in Fate. She has like one good fight in UBW and another in HF. If you want anything on Saber to be followed up upon you should probably play the VN, because unless ufotable announces a Fate set of movies after this is all done, they are not covering Fate.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

hakkart posted:

I would call the chance of Ufotable not getting around to doing every single thing Type-Moon has ever done "pretty slim", really.

If ufotable's career at this point is just adapting Tyoe-Moon stuff then that'd be cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This was a good episode of everyone throwing poo poo at each other and Berserker's impressive breakdancing skills.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PunkBoy posted:

Some more gifs:

These are the gifs that made me think, "This... this is a good episode."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Saber's "Oh gently caress" reaction to hearing Ilya's last name was great.

• Locked thread