Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They could just like, avoid explicitly showing anything that's not appropriate for TV. That's basically what they did in FZ right?

Vengarr posted:

The fights in this are going to blow F/Z the gently caress out

Nothing else matters
Yeah I'm really looking forward to seeing them animated well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's a really interesting interview. Can anyone who's read Mahoyo comment on whether his female characters have improved since then?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The original prologue was also from Rin's perspective, that wasn't a ufotable choice.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's one known servant from the third HGW, and as far as I can tell that's it. Sortof bizarre that we haven't gone back further, considering how much spin-off material there is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd note that you're forced to play those routes in order, so there's kindof a narrative structure that runs between them. Kindof.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really hope they have a death reel as a bonus episode

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Actually, looking back the original's first opening was even more generic. I guess Fate/Zero is the outlier.
That's probably just due to the way Fate/Zero introduced all the servants and masters basically immediately. It's harder when you're trying to hide stuff.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rodyle posted:

This is the perfect example of why starting with FZ is bad.
I don't see how really? He clearly liked the style of FZ more so far (as I did, in spite of doing it in the normal order) but I don't see how that would be any different if he had decided to fight through FSN first.

Really my main issue with FSN is that there are lots of long, boring monologues throughout the entire thing, and this episode was a good example of that. I can't honestly say that it isn't representative of what the series as a whole will be like.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked the contrast between Berserker and the other servants. It's not that he lacks skill, accuracy or speed, it's just that he's forced to attack almost constantly rather than move around to find openings or dodge.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i like how it is implied by the lore of this series that the little white haired girl has to have sex with the big berserk man to recharge its manas
No it isn't.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the school scene was optional, so you might not have seen it.

Also ugh.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I still want to see a scene with them just hanging out and being friends because I can never imagine it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Shinji's really popular with the ladies though; its hard to imagine why he'd want Tohsoka so badly when he could probably have almost any girl as his girlfriend.

Darth Walrus posted:

She's an anime harem lead and she's a tsundere schoolgirl who can machinegun you with her brain. I'd say there were probably queues outside her classroom if we hadn't actually seen them in the first episode.
If there's one thing FSN taught me it's that acting aloof all the time makes you really popular with the opposite sex

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ayako is cool but she just completely drops out of the story a few days in. Even though her prologue scene brings up a few potential plot threads.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like how they actually animated one of Nasu's "And then I was killed" fakeouts.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Which is why Kiritsugu always went for the master. I'm glad ufotable seem to be adding that dynamic to FSN more (like with the Rin vs Ilya scene).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kiritsugu obviously isn't a good guy, but having people target the master rather than the servant is interesting. That's part of why Caster is cool.

Fangz posted:

I note that Kiritsugu killed a grand total of one Master in the events of Zero, having fought that one three times previously without anyone dying.
He actually killed two, although one of them was revived. He also completely crippled another, and later had them killed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shirou can't even remember to do up his flies or wear underpants.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think it would be tasteful to use people who are still within living memory of their family members.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe they know Gilgamesh is foreign because he's white(?).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Problem: the first half of UBW is boring
Solution: watch an entire boring route beforehand

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe they're looking for a more substantial challenge than
"Shirou your ideals are stupid"
"No they are not :saddowns:"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not really about depth or anything, it's just that things happen regularly in FZ. Almost every episode has some piece of intrigue or decision or something that has a significant impact on the plot. Most of the scenes clearly serve some kind of narrative purpose. Whereas here we've had several episodes that have consisted almost entirely of Shirou and Rin having uninteresting conversations with no wider impact.

It is gonna get better pretty soon but you can't really deny how boring and inconsequential a lot of this stuff is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's fair to say that not much changed during the course of episode 9. The only major event that I'd list is Kotomine promising Shinji a new servant, but that was pretty vague and didn't take up much of the episode. The Issei scene was good and funny but pretty much a narrative dead-end.

If we really want to make the Zero comparison, in episode 9 Sola usurps the position of Master from Kayneth, meanwhile Waver/Rider discover Caster's lair and learn that Assassin is still alive when they are ambushed. I was way more interested in the consequences of these things than I was in the question of What Will Shinji Do With His New Servant.

Also I don't recommend reading the VN, any problems the anime with pacing and pointless scenes were much worse in the original.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

amuayse posted:

I've just started watching this and I have to ask: Does Rin get any better and less annoying?
I guess she does develop as a character, but we never really stop getting loads of painfully generic tsundere scenes with her no.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To be fair the 50th scene in which Rin pretends not to like Shirou but gets embarrassed because she secretly does is pretty groundbreaking stuff.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Kiritsugu's arc is done at the end of F/Z. His philosophy is definitively taken down, and he realizes that almost everyone he has ever cared about died due to it for nothing. He finally decides to change his path and truly save at least one person.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah that was a good episode. I forgot that Tohsaka's plan was literally just "launch an unprovoked attack and see what happens" :allears:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe Caster is using magic to help him or something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Variant_Eris posted:

Fanservice!

In all honesty though, do they use hair spray or something? I wasn't aware that they had hair spray in 600 +/- B. C.

And more importantly, why is Kojirou's hair purple. I can understand Caster, since she's foreign, but Kojirou?
This is a good question, I'm just gonna go and post it in literally every thread on this subforum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah she is trying to protect Shirou. Because she secretly loves him and is perpetually embarrassed about it, you see

• Locked thread