Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
HALP ME PROJECTOR

No real limitations on budget, but given the circumstances I'm planning on using it for I'd like to shoot around the $1,000 range unless it can also be a really good movie projector.

What are you going to watch/play/do? - This is an unusual application, my goal is to project the screen of a virtual tabletop for a game that shows a game board and pieces. I'm looking to project an image onto a tabletop or from underneath a table-like surface with a transparent screen. Images will be mostly static rather than video, so image requirements are reduced. A business projector is probably sufficient, but it would be great if I could use the projector for movies as well. Most important factor is throw distance; it would be great if I could get a dining-room table-sized image just by placing the projector on the floor and projecting up (away from kicking feet and such) or, even better, if it could be mounted on the underside of the table and projected "sideways" so it's completely out of the way. In the past I've also bounced the image off a mirror taped to the ceiling. I've looked at short-throw projectors in the past but didn't want to take a gamble on the throw distance being inflexible. Being visible in semi-bright light is a plus.
How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer - big enough to cover a large-ish dining room table, probably 70" or so diagonal or more. Size isn't crucial as long as it can be adjusted.
Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?) - not really. It will either be a piece of paper or else a back-lit screen.
What are the restrictions, if any, on placement? - see above. Under-projection would be best so that arms, game pieces, and scenery don't block the image, but from the top is acceptable. Bouncing the image will cause limitations with projection angle/correction for keystone effect.
Other - wireless would be a plus but isn't required, no requirements for sound, portability and ruggedness a plus.

I've used a cheap 720p projector in the past and it works fine, the challenge is it's obviously meant for a longer throw distance than I can manage so the image on the table ends up smaller than I'd like, especially when keystoning is taken into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I had a question very similar to yours earlier in the thread, so I'd be interested in hearing recommendations too. One option you can consider is a mirror in front of a ceiling-mounted unit to help with the throw distance issue, i.e. projecting horizontally and reflect it 90 degrees down to the table. I think they also make matte dry erase boards that are meant to function as screens as well, but that make be a corporate business sort of thing.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Olesh posted:

My concern isn't necessarily that the throw distance is too short, per se - the W1080ST has a minimum throw distance of 2 feet, and eyeballing the values on the calculator tells me that if I mounted it vertically the distance ought to be just about the right size for the table. A few inches here or there isn't going to kill me when all is said and done.

However, reviewing discussions of other people who have done similar things in the past shows a surprising number of people who ditched the projector setup and straight up moved to a TV lying on its back mounted in a tabletop. The latter would be more challenging, as I lack the tools to do much in the way of building my own custom table, but it might be the better option, though not the easier one.

I know what you mean, and I've thought much the same thing. I was pretty interested in this solution, and as long as you have space to work you can probably rent the necessary tools relatively cheaply.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spdescYFqIE

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Having a roomba helped too. I know they're pricey for most people, but it's paid itself in my book by removing a brick of dust from the house each day, which means I replace the furnace filter less frequently and can use a finer weave.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah biggest worry would be it shorting and causing interference with the signal. There's not enough current to be dangerous to a person, and it's probably not going to be enough that it could damage the equipment.