Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Discernibly Turgid posted:

My bad for not checking criteria first :/

Given that you deal in this sort of thing, what’s your take on the different tiers for projector setups?

Seems to me there’s a very clear delineation in terms of budget and performance:

-junk tier: repurposed corporate projectors, portables, weird Amazon poo poo. Not worth spending hundreds on, maybe worth spending time setting up if obtained for free, maybe worth spending a bit on if portability is #1 priority.

-solid tier 1080p, $700-$2k all in. This is where your solid 1080p projectors live, maybe this means getting something for a basement or living room or garage HT, maybe you keep this projector in a carrying case for backyard movies or under the coffee table for Saturdays. Or you get one of these in lieu of a $1000 4K TV and pair it with a $200-300 Silver Ticket screen and a basic two or five channel setup as a COVID cinema replacement.

-pixel shift 4K. Don’t buy one of these, better off saving your money and buying a 1080p dealie until your pennies are saved up for a nice $3-4 grand projector or until real 4K comes down in price some more.

-high end 1080p projectors (best for dedicated home theaters)

-real 4K projectors. Be ready to spend $3-8k on the projector, $2-3k on screen, and however much on your environment and sound system ($5k min).

-enthusiast grade. It was either this home theater or a camper/cabin/Porsche Boxster ($20-100k)

-real high end poo poo, if you have to ask you probably can’t afford it. ($100k+)

It seems like the two most recommendable/recommended tiers are the “solid 1080” (where most projector shoppers are gonna be) and the “real 4K” (homeowners or very long-term renters with some money to spend) tiers.

If there’s a silver lining to expect out of COVID maybe we see a real golden age in home cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

Can someone poke me with a stick once a low latency true 4K HDR capable VRR projector that doesn't require mortgaging my house exists?

I'm still using my W1080ST and while it's been pretty great it's showing it's age (also the lamp is starting to fail).

they’re 1-2 years away, where they were 1-2 years ago.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

space marine todd posted:

I have a kind of similar set of requirements: my apartment building has a very large rooftop with couches and a city skyline view. I want to get a portable short throw projector and a very easy-to-setup-and-breakdown portable projector screen so I can watch movies up there with my small covid bubble. I already have a Logitech Hyperboom I'd use as a Bluetooth speaker for it.

There is a power outlet, so I'm open to a projector that requires being plugged in as long as it's easy to carry up to the roof (there's an elevator).

Total budget is under $1500, but I'd love to avoid diminishing returns considering this is something I'm only doing once or twice a week (and only when the weather is good).

You can get a case cheap on Amazon that will fit pretty much any standard model of projector. Hell, just type in the model number once you have one and you should get a plethora of <$40 padded carrying cases that’ll make trucking a projector + extension cord about a breeze.

Given your budget I’d probably recommend whatever the best $600-$800 1080p BenQ projector currently being recommended is. I don’t know what the current model number is, they get turned over every year or two. Usually there’s a brighter one and a more color-accurate one (probably go with brighter, since you’re gonna be competing with ambient light pollution, but it honestly shouldn’t really matter for your needs).

For a screen you got tons of options, especially if you feel like using up the rest of your budget and getting some fancy collapsible dealie. I wouldn’t recommend an inflatable screen (last thing you need is the wind blowing it off your roof while you try to secure it). Hell, even a cable strung across with a white sheet (or better- white blackout curtain) draped over can do a fine job outdoors.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ok, so my wife is desperately wanting a pool-side projector for poo poo like kid birthday parties and whatnot for night movies. She keeps sending me Amazon links to essentially junky $100-300 projectors. Due to how little this will most likely be getting used, I don't want to spend more than a few hundred bucks. I realize most projectors under $1k or whatever aren't that great, so I guess my question is, what's the best of the junk-tier? Looking for minimum viable product here. I don't need 4K HDR. 720p is completely fine, maybe even 480p.

Our movie collection is stored on a local Plex server, so one with wifi and the OS-capability to install Plex would be preferred. Casting would be ok, but it would be much better if I could run Plex on the projector itself.

The one my wife said got "good recommendations from friends" is the Anker Capsule for $280ish:
https://smile.amazon.com/Projector-...25157612&sr=8-9
100 ANSI lumens, 480p. So many things about that are janky as hell and scream red flag, including the OS. But it seems to be able to install and run Plex. There's other streaming apps that require janky side-loading, or installing through their Anker app or something. Again, super janky.

I see they have a Capsule II for $579:
https://smile.amazon.com/Capsule-Pr...5157612&sr=8-10
200 ANSI lumens, 720p. The thing that pisses me off about this was it was like $200 off last week during Prime Day, so I really don't like this one at this price point despite it actually having an Android TV OS with a real Google Play store for apps.

As for a screen, I have no idea. I'm sure it'll be some cheap POS. I'm really just looking for the minimum viable product here. It's quite literally just for our teenagers to watch movies outside on the weekends with their friends.

Actually you can get a "Best Buy" 1080p projector for like $600 nowadays if you're willing to spend more. The Ankers will be a bit easier to set up, battery powered, etc, but they get blown out of the water by whatever the current iteration of BenQ 1080p normcore home theater projector is. You can get a case for it for like $20 too. It wont have battery power, but it'll do keystone/focusing/etc way better, and it'll be brighter. It's pretty easy to set them up for movie nights.

The TLDR is that $1500 1080p HT projectors from five years ago got "good enough" for most people and the industry's focus shifted to 4K. So for the last five years they've just been popping out these 1080p projectors with minimal updates and changes, if any, at increasingly cheaper prices: $1200, $1000, $800, etc.

And meanwhile they've had this rebirth in the market as toys, as a higher end alternative to the Ankers, etc. Something that you keep in a padded bag and bring out for movie nights and whatnot. Anyway that's what I would buy. It sounds like you can afford the extra outlay over a $300 PoS.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

This thread not getting much action. Are projectors dead tech? I want a 200 inch image for cheap damnit!

Projectors are very much alive, especially in the pandemic era. It’s just that the market kinda peaked for standard 1080p poo poo a few years back and so things are just sort of coasting/getting cheaper there.

On the 4K front all the usual suspects are trying to mature their pixel shifting tech and be the first to truly get the “good for under $2k” crown but the consensus seems to still be that nobody’s really there yet so if your budget is less than like $2500 you’re better off getting a relatively inexpensive 1080p one and biding your time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tildes posted:

Ty!

For context I should have mentioned initially — I have a BenQ HT1075 1080p projector - so it’s only like a $500 projector at this point. Is it still worth going for a screen that good, or would the lower quality of the projector make that not super worthwhile? (Also is my projector out of date enough it could be upgraded for not that much?). Also super good tip re the tensioning, that would’ve never occurred to me.

if not now then certainly in a couple (<5) years it’ll be affordable enough to seriously upgrade your PJ. And at that point you’ll have the screen.

For now there are 4K and “4K”, and still plenty of higher-end 1080p, PJs out there for you to look at if you’re interested, ranging anywhere from $800 to $6 grand and beyond.

I don’t really know how screen aging/discoloration progresses and works but I imagine that a nice screen will easily outlast at least two or three projectors, right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bird with big screen

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Klungar posted:

I currently have a 65" Samsung 4K LED that I sit 16.5' back from, against a wall that could easily accommodate a 120" screen, and every time I look at the large amount of blank wall space that surrounds the TV, I get the itch. I've toyed with getting a projector into the space in the past, but the way the room is set up and the vaulted ceilings means I could never quite crack how I'd mount it or handle all the wires for the various things I'd want to run through it. These USTs seem to solve all the logistical problems I had with that, so I'm back to seriously considering the projector life.

A couple questions:
1) Do USTs require special screens vs. a traditional projector screen?
2) Similarly, does the nature of a UST mean I should plan for a static, mounted screen vs. a retractable/pull down screen?
3) Are there any anticipated leaps forward for USTs in the near future that would suggest I should hold off for a bit rather than investing now?

1) yes, I believe they perform best with screens designed for UST

2) you’ll probably have a better time with a static screen, IMO

3) just get what you want man. Prices might go down and some new models might appear but I haven’t heard of any big leaps in tech that make it worth waiting 1-2 years. I could be very wrong on this tho.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I knew a guy who had a projector and also a 4k TV on a wheeled stand that he would use interchangeably depending on situation/mood (this is a few years back when projectors were "bad for gaming" or whatever). Anybody here do that?

I guess the way he saw it, the projector was a "sometimes, not always" device and the TV could be more convenient to use (it had its own onboard speakers, for example, instead of relying on the HT system), but it seemed kind of nitpicky to the point of extravagance for me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
“honey, what if we turned the house into an art installation?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I love projectors and think they’re pretty excellent nowadays but they’re not going to pop like an OLED unless you’re spending a *lot more money

You could consider putting an OLED tv on a tasteful stand (Samsung makes some for their TVs that look excellent and there are a few third party models that I also really like), either easel-style, tripod-style, or as a cart with wheels. If you have Bang and Olufsen money you could look at some of their wheeled/freestanding OLED TVs.

Even something like a modern AV cart of the sort a school/university/office might have can look fine in the right decor space if you want a convenient and relatively secure way to have a big TV that you can tuck into a corner and/or roll out.