Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

Do you have more specific recommendations for screens? I can 100% light control my room, and am looking at 100 inches. I really need something on a stand, as I cannot drill into my apartment walls.

If you're at all handy, you can just build a frame out of 2x4's and mount the screen to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What equipment is that? Details, man!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

revmoo posted:

20,000:1 is bad?

That contrast ratio is measured "Full On / Full Off", which is essentially the same as "dynamic contrast" (In other words, it's meaningless).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smoobles posted:

Is there a way to connect a projector to surround sound without a receiver? Does a projector with optical audio out even exist?

I'm setting up a small home theater for my dad and I'd be bummed out if I need an entire new device to send video to the projector and audio to the system.

What kind of audio inputs does his existing receiver/surround system have?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LG did it first.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-hecto-dlp-projector-series/

Probably a tenth of the price, too.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 14, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You trying to watch during the day or at night?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: ^^ drat you!

Stephen posted:

It will probably be bright out for most uses. CFL/NFL games, MLB, Hockey playoffs etc. all usually running around 7-10ish PM

I'm trying to learn about Lumens and one site tells me I need at least 3000 for daylight.

Keep going.

A few definitions to get us started: Lumens is a measure of total light output. Lux (or luminous flux) is a measure of the average amount of light over a given area. So a projector (or any source of light) gives out light measured in lumens and casts light on an object measured in lux. It's this lux rating you care about. Basically, the ambient lux is going to be your "black" level. You can't go darker than that. So you need a MUCH brighter light creating your bright spots to give you a good contrast ratio compared to ambient.

A 100" screen is about 360 sqft. 5000 lumens across 360 sqft is ~150 lux.

An overcast day is ~1000 lux and a sunny day can be 10,000 lux or more (in the shade). Direct sunlight is something stupid like 50,000-100,000 lux.

TL;DR: What you want to do is impractical at best.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 15, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ShotgunWillie posted:

Thanks. Sorry about your job?

And/or congratulations, possibly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Probably dynamic contrast. So yeah, made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Probably because projectors are designed to be used in the dark and tables aren't.