Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Never mind, I need to figure out how to read.

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Time to upgrade! Right now I have Samsung SP-H710E on a shelf over the couch, 100" screen, throw distance of 140". Want to go full HD 3D.

What's your budget?

Negotiable. I'd like to spend as little as possible, of course, but I'll pay for the right projector.

Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do?

Mostly movies (blu rays, dvds, Netflix, even the occasional VHS!), mostly at night. There will be occasional daytime use with ambient light (I cannot get the room completely dark). Some game play, so low input lag would be nice.

How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer

I'm a CIH guy... Image height is always 37". I manually zoom for wider aspect ratios; 2.39:1 uses the screen's full viewing width of 87". (Do they even make projectors with powered zoom? Expensive?)

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?)

For the time being, anyway, I'll continue using my old screen-- Elite VMAX100UWH electric screen, 100" diagonal. No idea what the gain is.

What are the restrictions, if any, on placement?

Size of room gives throw distance of 140" for shelf. Might be able to squeeze out a couple more inches if the projector is petite. (My Samsung is a loving tank). It would be nice if I could continue using the shelf as it's easy to reach the zoom lens. But I'd install a ceiling mount for the right projector. Ceiling is just under 8'. Top of screen viewing area is about 1' down from ceiling, could increase that up to another 6 inches if necessary.

And some additional questions for other CIH fans-- How do you do it? Same way I do? Are there high end projectors that do CIH automatically? I have in my possession a Sankor 16C anamorphic lens... Could it somehow be rigged up with a projector to get the job done? Thanks!

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 29, 2015

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

King Hotpants posted:

The only "affordable" projector with a powered zoom right now is the Panasonic AE8000, which is showing its age. If you can live without that, get the Sony HW40ES. It fits your throw requirements and it looks fantastic.

Thanks for the recommendation, the Sony looks good.

What about appropriate IR 3D glasses? HW40ES literature recommends Sony brand (of course), but they are pricey, nearly $100 apiece. Will other glasses work, or are there compatibility issues? What are some good options?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

A tv?