Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Rumor has it that there will be a US version of the VW300, but it will be called the VW350. Any truth? Also why does the US market get so dicked on price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

No idea.

Just in general, since I work in this industry, I'll usually be under NDA when it comes to unreleased and upcoming products. That's the cost for early access to cool stuff. So it's rare that I will be able to answer questions like this with anything other than a wink and a nudge at best.

In general? We don't. Most projectors are cheaper here than they are elsewhere. Are you referring to anything specific?

An overseas projector can be had for much cheaper, but I hear the warrenty is invalid.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

Again, can you point to something specific?

You're correct that the warranty would be invalid, so assuming you can find one cheaper and don't get screwed on customs and shipping, you'd better hope it never breaks.

Looks like pricing has leveled out as I see the Sony 600/500 are both 10k.

But my HC9000D had an msrp of 10k, a street price of 6k, and could be had for 3k through an eBay importer with stock in the US. I snagged the eBay one. Not real thrilled that I went that route, but it has been working just fine for two years. I'm on the 3rd bulb. I'll be buying US market this time, specifically for the peace of mind.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Screens can be surprisingly cheap if you go fixed. I have a 135" fixed Visual Apex screen that sell for 500 dollars. I recently changed the material over to a Seymour XD acoustically transparent screen for around 300 shipped, it can be had for less but I had them give me a diagonal cut.

A little OT but going AT was the best thing I did. I have an alcove where I just shoved EVERYTHING behind it, including my PC.

Ignore the paper on the window, it will get tinted, probably.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

The speakers are Dayton kits from parts-express. I think they are discontinued since all they have up are these ones: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs722cck-speaker-kit-curved-cherry--302-973

Mine are the same except they came with Shure drivers and better speaker stuffing, I think they were around 500-600 dollars each, not sure why they don't sell them anymore.
The subwoofers are are Dayton 15" reference drivers and the cabinets were flat packs from Parts Express.
I'm quite happy with the results.

wolrah posted:

Yeah, more information please. I'm about to build a frame for a new 120" screen to replace my temporary 4x8 build but I didn't realize AT was this cheap now. Does it require anything different out of the frame itself or should I be able to easily upgrade from blackout cloth in the future?

Since you are making one some people will staple it to the frame if you are making one out of wood. In my instance the old material was a pocket and rod system. I didn't bother looping the cloth back and sewing it to make a pocket for the rod, i just placed the rod on top of the material and clipped it into place.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

I'm thinking about moving over to something other than my Mitsu HC9000D. Its a nice projector, I've always liked the SXRD chips, but the lumens on this have always been lower than I've wanted even in a very well light controlled room, most of my viewing is at night anyway. I have a 135" 16:9 screen, and am wondering if there is something out there comparable with a higher light output between 3,000 to 6,000 USD. The chip alignment could have been better on that projector as well as one side would always be half a pixel or more off no matter what I did to it, it is noticeable in certain conditions. I'm sensitive to the DLP color wheel so It looks like SXRD is what I need to stick with.
I also shift my image down for my constant width setup for scope movies, so something with a good shift range is needed.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 19, 2014

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

The Epson looks like a competitor to the JVC models. Its too bad Sony removed the electric lens, I assume they've been focusing on 4k, that's a big one for me. Is the Epson not out yet? I may just wait for tax time and look into the 10000.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 19, 2014

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

The Epson LS projectors aren't out yet in the US as far as I know, and they'll be in restricted distribution when they do finally arrive. And in my opinion, the LS10000 is worth the extra $2k if you can swing it.

Because I can't wait for things I went with the next best thing. I found that there are refurbs of the JVC DLA-X700R for a decent discount. I have always avoided refurbs, but I decided to give it a try.

I thought my Mitsu was pretty good, but this thing just curb stomped it. Out of the box picture is quite amazing. I set it to THX and visually tweaked a few things. The convergence is near perfect, and perfect after I adjusted it. The lens adjustment is very nice compared to the Mitsu, it had major gear lash and adjustments were always big, with the JVC everything is very fine and tight. Memory is nice too. The dynamic iris is also usable, unlike the Mitsu, I just left that one off. I think the contrast numbers on the Mitsu were inflated, as the JVC has a lower naitive number listed, but it is very obvious it is better. Blacks are miles ahead and this thing is a light canon, suitable for my 135"

The eshift tech is kind of a mixed bag, it has some artifacts, but that could be because I have a Darby inline and the combo is too much, I haven't touched the settings on the Darby yet, but I did bump up the smoothing for the eshift and it tamed it to the point that some scenes in Guardians of the Galaxy were film like in softness (well not soft, but not digital looking, not flat) and with the extra light and contrast this thing had the colors defiantly punched out, which also helped with the flat look.

I am having problems though, im having signal loss glitches. If I'm playing a movie on my PC, ill have a split second glitch of it throwing a previous frame up from the buffer, this happened about 5 times in two hours. If I'm using my PS3, it will throw up a split second static frame, this will happen every few mins. I don't know if this is a few cable problems, or if my projector isn't playing nice with the receiver, I have the latest firmware. Any thoughts?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Found it yesterday, I forgot the cable to the projector was coupled with an extension from Radio Shack. It worked fine with the old proj, just not the new one.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

I'm going to need to sell my Mitsu HC9000D, King, do you have any idea what I should sell it for? It has around 1500 hours on the lamp on high mode. If anyone here is interested I'll put up a formal post in the for sale forum.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

I know very little about the used projector market, but I would not expect to get more than $1000 out of it.

I saw a cosmetically damaged one going for 1500, but that doesn't mean it will sell.

Alright, well here is an HC9000D for sale:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688280

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 16, 2014

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

revmoo posted:

drat that is cheap. It might be worth forgoing my dislike of DLP for that. The only other thing I don't like is that it's listed at 2200 lumens and there seems to be competing offerings with 3000 or more. Are lumens apples-to-apples or are they not worth comparing?

Is there a way to figure out throw distances on projectors? like 100" @ 5 feet, 200" at 15 feet or something? Seems like a spec that should show up on product listings.

EDIT: I found a throw calculator on Optoma's site and according to it I'm looking at a 80" screen from 9 feet. Looks like I can get over 100" with a short throw so I guess I probably should go for one of those.

EDIT2: This unit looks pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT1080-Gaming-Projector-Enabled/dp/B00M9D4CAK

EDIT3: Doh, it's too short of a throw, the screen would be larger than the wall haha. It's looking like I need something with zoom I guess?

EDIT4: gently caress waiting for advice, bought this: http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/DH1009

I spent a long time messing around with the Optoma throw calculator and this seems to fit all my needs quite well. Too bad it's DLP but it seems like LCD just isn't there yet.

High lumens usually are only good for conference rooms as you end up with a piss poor contrast ratio. High dollar projectors are usually mid 1000s lumens.
Were you looking for home theater or conference style, because you got a conference style projector.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Like the one I have in the SA mart Which is perfect for a 100" screen. I'm selling it since I run a 135" screen and at that size the bulb brightness drops hard after 1000 hours, which is kind of a big deal at that size. Not so much on a 100.

Close up on a 100" screen seems to be the sweet spot according to this calculator.

edit: aww, just saw the 9' room. It will only project an 80" screen at a 9' throw, so even smaller in a 9' room.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 19, 2014

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

I just recently got a Peerless PRG mount. This thing is wobbly poo poo and the dual 15" subs I have do move it and knock it off center after a couple of movies.

The generic mount I had from Visual Apex was better, it vibrated a little bit from the bass, and I think it was more from the house than the mount, but it never needed a re adjustment after almost a year of heavy bass.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

If you've checked with different cables, I'd look into a repeater. It is possible that the signal from the roku is not the strongest.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Those screens will ripple over time. If you could go with a fixed screen. Visual Apex sells a 135" for 500. I've had mine for a couple of years and like it quite well. I eventually changed the material to an AT variety so I could place the speakers behind it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

I saw a guy on the AVS forums claim that he got an upgraded HDMI board from 1.4b to HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 for his Dreamvision (JCV clone), is he full of poo poo or is this a possibility?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

I added a calibration section to the second post in the thread, here, under the section on screens.

Disney Wow does come with a blue filter.
The nice thing about this disc is the test patterns for brightness and contrast aren't static, they use large star cutouts for each shade that shift position and rapidly change brightness for a short period of time before returning to normal brightness. This happens every few seconds to eliminate image retention in your eyes.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 10, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

As much as I like my new JVC x700r, the blacks are really great, i mean like black hole great compared to anything previous that I've had or seen. But I'm getting a ton of black crush, I don't have a meter, I could see it on test patterns, and definitely see it in movies. I've adjusted and re adjusted brightness before moving the black floor up, and even bumped the gamma sliders "Picture Tone" and "Dark Level." From my understanding they work around your target gamma, and since I don't have a meter, I keep it at "THX." I think I should be able to bring some detail out by eye, I must be missing something.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

After undoing everything, switching from THX to anything else, from 1.8 to 2.4 obliterates the "middle gray" of the image. It isn't obvious on the test patterns I was looking at, but once I saw a regular image, things looked pastel like, or washed out. And this is after I made corrections for each gamma mode.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 29, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Well looks like it was an issue with my PC at the 4k input level. Everything is working as it should. Haven't tried 4k yet again, but my pc may have been putting out the wrong color space at 4k like you suspected jonathan. It may explain why I didn't notice the problem in the test pattern since I was using blu-ray for that.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 1, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

i think your bigger issue may be light output for that size. what is your projector and environment?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

re: light bouncing.
I've got dark brown walls and a white ceiling (with a 3 foot depth of a black stripe on the ceiling) and I have all kinds of wash out issues. Its pretty nuts on how much you need to do to truly control the bounce. I'm already thinking about expanding the black stripe and getting a bigger rug for my floor, it is tile. It also pisses me off when I've got my poo poo setup better than some theaters. I watched Interstellar with floor lighting bouncing off of the bottom two corners at an "Imax." At least that's what they called it, but it wasn't.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 15, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

jonathan posted:

Interstellar was the first movie ive seen in awhile at the imax, and it sounded like poo poo. Bass didn't have good extension down low, and it was loud but really fatiguing. I can't wait until my review copy bluray gets here and I can let it rip at home.

Yeah the sound was poo poo. I couldn't tell if it was crushed dynamics or a system that couldn't handle it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Saw this show up next to the Sony short throw. You can overlay some cheap projectors to make a high lumens large venue projector. Id wonder how sharp and what kind of contrast ratio will result, but this does look like a bitchin' cheap option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23x8pTTmO-U

He also has another video with 4 stacked projectors.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Frame up your own with wood and then get your own AT material. I have a 135" visual apex screen (500 USD) that I eventually replaced the material with seymour xd, which is hardly noticeable in gain loss from a solid screen, my only complaint is that you can see the direction of the material if that makes sense. The better material is their 4k stuff, but it leaks way more light.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah you're supposed to run all of your sources into a receiver with a projector.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

I've got the projector now and I gotta say, I think they're fibbing a bit with the 1400 ANSI lumens figure. Even with the blinds in my office down the whites are more like greys. There might be a few tweaks I can make but if you're going to try one out make sure it's on Amazon so you can return it if it doesn't cut the mustard.

It's too bad because the smart features, connectivity and form factor are outstanding. With companies like CREE that keep making huge strides in LED brightness I think we'll have brightness/cost parity with bulbs soon and make bulbs obsolete.

I don't know that projector, but you may be able to fudge it by playing with the HDMI input mode to sorta stack the color range, or mess with the gamma settings.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 17, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

I need some lighting.

My speakers are behind my screen and I would like to illuminate them with some sort of colored spot or pen lighting pointing up at them from behind the screen. I'll probably just have the lights plugged into a controller that can be controlled with Harmony.

Anyone have recommendations on either?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Just a general tip, if this is going to be a project with a dedicated room, get an acoustic transparent screen and put the speakers behind it. You can build a false wall or just float the screen. There are many threads on AVS about it an you can order sample screen material. You can build your own projector screen frame or buy a cheap screen with frame and throw away the material and add the AT material. It makes a huge amount of difference in the sound. Plus you can line the wall behind the screen with acoustic foam.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Now that I'm at a PC I can post an example for an AT screen with false wall:

And here is my personal setup. I got to cheat as there was already an alcove so I didn't have to frame an extra wall. The lower grills are for the subs and custom drawers.

This is a 135" screen and I also have a masking shade for wide movies. I still have to pretty that thing up but I've been lazy.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Speaking of screens, im trying to find a good AT material. I have the Seymore XD material, and it does a great job of not losing much light, but my issue is that I can see the direction of the material in the image in certain shades. I've tested other materials, but they lose a greater amount of light than the XD material.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

Stewart will add AT perforations to almost all of their screen materials.

well hell, I didn't know this. I assume perforation has made leaps and bounds? I thought they were only good for proper commercial theaters since you could space the holes much further. Anyway I sent and inquiry for some samples of the Studio Tek 100 and 130 unless you think a different material would be better. I have an e-shift psudo 4k, but would like to keep real 4k in mind for the future, but honestly with the right source material this JVC makes me forget that 4k is even a thing, this loving projector is so god drat good and Guardians of the Galaxy is the source material to show it.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 26, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

I wouldn't use the ST100 in a home theater. On the other hand, the ST130 is my favorite screen material. Ever.

really. So no hot spotting or anything?

edit: how much does this poo poo cost?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

*sigh*

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

etatoby posted:

My W1070 has been giving me nothing but superb pictures, thank you very much. Though I will send it back in for repair before the warranty is over, because the color wheel has become noticeably noisy. I think I mentioned it before. Has anybody else experienced it?

Anyways, my friend liked my setup so much he wants to buy a projector too. But the W1070 is too expensive for him. Are there any cheaper DLP projectors worth buying? He says he could do without the 3D and with only 720p resolution, since he'd only be watching movies on a smaller screen. Any recommendations?

Edit: I found the Benq MW526, seems to fit the specs and is very cheap! What do y'all say? I wonder why it's sold as Business/education and not Home. Are there any shortcomings using it to watch movies?

Do not touch projectors that are meant for business. That one will have a slow color wheel, causing some serious rainbow artifacts in blacks, plus the contrast ratios usually suck bad as they are meant for brightness and not detail.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

Nope.

It's gonna cost a lot, depending on how large of a screen you want. But you're the "doing everything right" guy in this thread, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Do they even sell the material separate? I never got a response back on email and I hate using what little lunch time I have on the phone.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Hopefully not. But it's a good thing I didn't get a reply, had to get my parents a new TV so any screen upgrades will have to wait.

Thanks for the info on the color wheel too! I didn't know that.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Hey King,
I don't know what kind of connections you have, but I'm wondering if some parts are interchangeable on these JVC projectors. I've got the x700r right now. I'm going to be piping in a 4k/uhd blu ray to this thing with an HDFury to bypass HDCP 2.2, but at that point im limited to 8 bit color since it is only HDMI 1.4b. The new JVC came out, or is coming out, and it is the same fake 4k e-shift thing as before, but it has a 2.0/2.2 board. Would anyone know if these boards can be retrofitted and work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

RE: different screen materials

It seems the only way to get Stewart material is by proof of ownership of a Stewart frame. So I suppose that is out for me. I decided to look at AT fabrics again, all were poo poo except for one, but sadly the gain sucked. It seems gain is cheated a lot on these, several seemed to have boosted magentas on white scenes. I did seem to find a decent combo of two, and that was if I layed an Elite screen material over my Seymore material, but since neither stretch real well I could imagine them not tensioning together properly and that is an expensive risk if they decide to separate.

So it all comes back to perforated vinyl. I got a sample pack from DaLite. I don't have anything else to compare them to, but from what I can tell this is quality stuff, even the sample pack made me feel like I was about to invest in a new car with their presentation. Unfortunately from my seating I can still see the perforations. If I sit back one or two feet from normal they blend in, but this is all judging from an 8x8" square, which is kind of a lovely way to test things for a possible 1000 dollar investment.

I feel like I've exhausted all of my options and I'm not perfectly satisfied. I can't move my seating back as then it would block my sliding door to the back yard. Perhaps im being picky and I'd get used to the perforation? Is there another option with a tighter cut?