Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

What can anyone tell me about Projector Screens? Here's my dilemma:

I have a great little area that would suit a projector really well. Throw distance is around 16'6", with a viewing distance around 11'6" because of the layout. Ceiling height is 6'5". I did a bunch of research on both specs and prices, and getting a Sony VPL-HW40ES projector, a 100-108" Elunevision screen and a ceiling mount for $2900CAD was hitting the perfect sweet spot.

Then I find out that the company I was looking to purchase from (Eastporters) may not be an authorized Sony dealer in Canada (though they are authorized for nearly every other big brand).

So - three choices. Get a different projector, buy from them and assume I'll never get support from Sony, or buy from an Authorized dealer for $3,000 and skip the ceiling mount, and build a DIY screen.

I'm leaning towards the latter, but don't know where to start with screens - most of the DIY guides on the web fall far below my standards. I don't want to paint a wall, I want to actually make a nice screen using proper material...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Ixian posted:

Speak of the devil:

I am moving and just pulled the trigger on a JVC RS400 today after looking at them for a while. It is a league above the Sony and Epson and also a league above in price (more than double).

Not to turn this in to a sales post but this means I will be selling my 5030UB, which is still excellent, at a nice discount. Perfect shape, about 350 hours on current bulb (out of 2000h). If you or your brother are interested let me know. I'll throw in a couple RF 3d glasses with it.

dammit why can't you be in canada :(

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I got the OK from my Fiancee for a projector, once our wedding is over with. She's not a fan of the furniture setup for the room that would be most conducive to a projector (putting the PJ 4-5' behind us) so I'm looking at getting a smaller form factor that would sit above our couch.

As such, my question is: how loud is going to be too loud? Should I go for something like a LED ultra short throw, or just get the quietest one that I can afford? BenQ's HT2050 seems to top a lot of Budget lists... a larger/quieter one might be too big for being over our heads (ceiling height is 6' 5"). The room will be very dark, so I can get away with lower brightness settings I think. I don't have a screen, so I can also get a low gain screen if that will help things...

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Elysium posted:

One thing I've noticed browsing home cinema stuff is that people seem 98% concerned with the sound system compared to anything else and put in the budgets to match. Kind of boggles my mind, I just want to watch big movies you know?

Well the big movies lose the imapct of the bigness if the sound isn't comparable! :)

That being said I've got Orb Audio speakers in my movie room (~10 x 12) and they are more than adequate with a 10" sub.

Regarding your washout issues, typically you would base your screen material both on the projector's power and your viewing distance, but also your ambient light situation. I'm in a similar situation to you (veto on the dark ceiling even though we literally just watch movies in the space and it's in the basement...) so the only real solution is an Ambient Light Rejecting (ALR) screen with a gain of <1. I bought the 3700 from the Epson Clearance website a few years ago (and even put it in a port in my wall like you did) and it's definitely bright. I haven't been bothered enough by the contrast to get an ALR screen, but after a tonne of research and chatting on the AVS forums it's clear that that's the best solution. I will probably try a DIY painted screen over the summer to see how much of a difference it makes, because I wasn't satisfied with the samples I ordered (Elite screens I think, and Carl's)... they are very sparkly from certain angles.

If you want to see the kind of magic an ALR screen can do... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-4E8qU_dxQ
this provides a good overview of screen material selection - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx6dYwRezAM

edit: pasted wrong link originally

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 24, 2020

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

IbrahimSom posted:

I recently bought the Benq mh535 fhd and I'm satisfied with it as a monitor and tv replacement. I endorse this product. I bought it refurbished for $379 off of BenQ's website.

I can't wait for 4k projectors to come down to that price range as I've never experienced 4k except in theaters.

Make sure you sit really close

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Discernibly Turgid posted:

So, this is a good case of timing: if you really are interested in a proper, nice projector, I can help you out. I’m a dealer (by way of my company) for JVC and Sony (for others too, but nothing I’d recommend) and can hook you up. Unlike the super affordable stuff, there’s a real markup on the better gear, so you can save real money. It’s not “fell off the truck” type stuff, it’s from an authorized dealer with full warranties etc.

I use a JVC NX7R myself, but if you’re looking in the $4-6k range, I could set you up with (for example) either an NX5R (same as the RS1000), a nice screen, and a good mount for WELL inside there, delivery included. I like the NX/RS JVCs more than the Sony units. Better pricing, better brightness, and their auto tone mapping feature is really incredible. I also tend to steer people clear of DLP (again, when budget isn’t the ultimate driver), but if you’re not sensitive to the side effects of DLP mechanisms, the JVC LX-NZ3B offers laser projection at phenomenal brightness levels for south of $3k. Dual lens shift and native 4K (no pixel wobble) are REALLY nice when setting up.

When people are going really high end I switch back to Sony because their laser projectors are nearly untouchable with proper setup, calibration, and supporting gear.

This is NOT an offer made to make money for me. I’m really happy to help people get cool poo poo without getting fleeced.

PM me if you want to check out what can be done with that kind of pricing.

Main thing (at your price range, especially if that’s just for the projector) is to stay clear of pixel-wobble/e-shift/non-native 4K and avoid anything that doesn’t have 2-axis lens shift (because keystone correction is something you don’t need if you’ve done the geometry beforehand, and you end up throwing away pixels.) The best projectors we use (beyond the Sony laser units) don’t have native HDR, but they have staggering brightness levels, so we employ a Lumagen and it applies the HDR curves while the projector only sees SDR-formatted data.

Anyhow, good luck with everything! It’s a fun, fun hobby

Oh man, I wish I needed a new projector now! After I discovered Epson's online warehouse (which offers the exact same warranty as "new" units) I got us an Epson 3700... my wife was skeptical before I bought it for us and thought I was being silly but luckily she trusted my judgement. After the first few movies on it she agreed that it's probably the single best purchase of anything that we've ever made (well aside from IVF but that's more of an "investment" but I digress). I can't understate how great it is to have the theatre experience in the comfort of your own home! We have a nice little 12x12 room in the basement with a 6'6" ceiling which is the perfect little theatre.

In researching for that first projector I learned about (and enjoyed) what JVC has to offer in terms of black levels... holy moly. I saw a demo at a retailer and wow is it ever impressive. Knowing we didn't have the funds for an incredible screen as well I figured it wasn't quite worth the investment yet - I figured I'd whet the wife's appetite with the sub-$1,000CAD projector first :D

I'm at the point, though, where I would like to at least get the most out of the projector... we're currently still projecting onto a slightly off-white colored wall, and I have no latitude for painting the walls/ceiling in a theatre-friendly way... naturally that leads me to ALR screens. Do you have any thoughts/recommendations? The room only has one window, off to the side, which is maybe 2' x 2' and gets ambient light (it faces another house 7' away) - so it's not so much about getting an amazing image in daylight, it's more about preventing washout from the white walls/ceiling when we're watching a movie. I may go the DIY route but it'd be nice to hear some opinions!

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Discernibly Turgid posted:

When it comes to very good screens on a budget, EPV are an excellent value (and they have a pretty decent markup on them, so they’re really a bargain if you have someone who’s flexible as a dealer. Not counting clearance stuff (from the distributor), don’t be surprised to find that actual cost on most of these screens is half (or less) than retail and delivery is cheap.

That said, I haven’t look at the market for sub-4K screens in a long time, so I imagine there are some screaming deals on those. I don’t sell Dragonfly, but they’re at least somewhat reputable, so you’ll get a screen that actually is what they say it is and has a consistent material with an even weave. I imagine you’re not looking for something acoustically transparent and probably on the order of 90-100”?

The room dimensions cracked me me, but that’s because I have a similarly hobbit-scale basement ceiling (but 23’ front to back at a mere 9-1/2’W, so a room that took calculated deployment of acoustic materials and what I feel is the best room correction system on the market to whip it into shape.) We’ve got 15’ from head to screen and are at the largest comfortably viewable size for that distance (120”.)

haha yeah our house was built in 1917 so basements weren't really all the rage. We're lucky we have the height that we do compared to most houses from that era! I think we're around 9' from head to screen, probably on the order of 90" screen size. I won't mind losing a few inches to a border if it'll mean better colors/contrast. I'll have to take a look at Dragonfly and EPV, thanks very much! I tried some online vendors (Carl's and Elite) but their ALR solutions were sparkly/glittery if that makes sense... it was a little distracting. Any idea if the ones you mention fare better?

You're correct that I'm not currently looking for AT, and size is probably about right. I should probably take some dimensions... eventually in a few years we hope to put an extension on the house which would allow for a larger AT screen but I will probably have the same interior decorating limitations.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

ShotgunWillie posted:

My Epson 5030 started shutting down randomly after 4-5 years and 3k hours of bulb use. Lamp light on, flashing power. Either a bulb problem or the mainboard dying.

Epson had a rebate for a free bulb when I bought it originally, so I pulled it out of the closet and popped it in.

Sweet success. What a relief. We live in an apartment and utilize the walls for storage and art, so the projector with a motorized screen has been great. With the surround sound installed, I have only been to the movie theatre twice in the last 5 years.

good to know!! I have a 3100... I bought it certified refurbished from the epson warehouse and when I bought my wife was rolling her eyes... our 42" TV was fine after all. After the first movie she can't imagine living without it and wants a PJ for the bedroom now too :D

i haven't been keeping a spare bulb on hand but this is a good reminder to do so. I just checked my bulb usage and it's at 1323h out of an average lifespan of 3,500. So, not edging upon EOL quite yet but at 2,000 hours I'll need a backup!

I'm still just projecting onto our off-white painted basement wall. What motorized screen are you using? I'm always debating doing a DIY painted ALR screen or going for a motorized one. Our basement theater is "multi use" so a really nice fixed screen is off the cards for now - as is theatre-specific wall treatments or colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Projectors are very much alive, especially in the pandemic era. It’s just that the market kinda peaked for standard 1080p poo poo a few years back and so things are just sort of coasting/getting cheaper there.

On the 4K front all the usual suspects are trying to mature their pixel shifting tech and be the first to truly get the “good for under $2k” crown but the consensus seems to still be that nobody’s really there yet so if your budget is less than like $2500 you’re better off getting a relatively inexpensive 1080p one and biding your time.

Don't forget about lasers!! Lasers are also the newest approach for getting the best image quality, and they help remove one of the annoyance factors of being a projector-owner (bulb management, both in replacement as well as adjusting brightness in the projector as they fade).

I know TV images are technically more-awesome at a cheaper pricepoint (and much easier to get - you don't have to figure out reflectance numbers for screen material, treat your room, etc) but I don't think a projector can be beat for the experience it gives you. Zero reflection + huge format + it doesn't burn your eyes. My wife didn't understand why i wanted a projector so badly... then we got one, and after the first movie she was like "ok... i get it. I don't ever want to go back to a TV". And that's just projecting onto whatever off-white color the real estate agent covered the house with before we bought it.