Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Came here from the last thread, which I had bookmarked forever.

I am a VJ and my lovely Benq W500 is just not bright enough for what I need to do at only 1200 lumens. Bought it many, many years ago and the bulb has gotten a LOT of use, so it is pretty bad for larger rooms. Sometimes the venues have projectors for me to use but my upcoming NYE show will not.
My grandmother recently passed and left me a little money, so I thought maybe now might be the time to finally upgrade. Just don't have a lot of time if I want the thing to be shipped in time for the NYE show soooo....

A few questions for you guys:

What is the best 3-5k lumen HD projector for around 1k? I would like to go full 1080p but I would be happy with 720p as long as the brightness was within the 3-5k lumen range. Since I will be moving this around from venue to venue, reliability and portability will also play a factor. I can spend between 1000 - 1500 but no more. Especially since I would like to buy or build a projector stand as well with the remaining money.

The pics below show what I really want to pull off but I have very little time.

I realize there are multiple projectors used in the above setup but for the NYE show I can only afford one. The "transparent screen" is something I am looking into building as well.

So - basically - what is your advice on buying a projector for a (relatively poor) VJ who moves around quite a bit?
For long term I am looking to build a projector stand (by modifying a speaker stand) and make a transparent screen out of tulle but hey, first things first!

Reading backwards through the thread now so I just saw the list of questions:

What are you going to watch/play/do? - VJ - so as mentioned, portability and durability are a big factor.

How big of a picture do you want? - Hadn't given this a lot of thought as throw distance and lumens are a bigger factor. I would say the size of a club wall, so at least 10-12 feet at bare minimum.

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?) - Right now I am experimenting with small amounts of tulle but I plan on buying roughly 110' x 50 yard bolt to build a screen out of tulle with. Outside of that, I will eventually buy a white screen used or use the wall of the venue if I can.

What are the restrictions, if any, on placement? - I have a good friend who has VJ'd for many, many years. He modified a speaker stand to make a projector stand and I hope to do the same. The idea is to strap it to a speaker stand with a custom platform and get the thing as high over heads as possible. In some cases, with a new venue, I may have the time to mount the projector but that isn't always possible. Wish I still had my old ceiling projection mount but I have no idea where that went since I moved. Pretty sure it was trashed in the move.

Other - A remote is pretty important, as is the ability to operate focus and keystone remotely. Projector should be black in color and as powerful / rugged as possible for the price. Lumens and throw distance are most important, with screen size and resolution coming next in priority. Paranoid about club environments, so any advice about a case or projector housing is welcome.

EDIT:

Projecting / VJing on the go.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Well... that explains a lot. Can you give me some advice on what kind of projector I should buy as a VJ? Everyone indicates 3-5k lumens is what I want but I have to travel around with it, so ruggedness / size is also a factor.
Was looking at this one - which seems to fit the bill. I don't understand why there is such a huge discrepancy from the retail to the street price however.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

King Hotpants posted:

I can't talk about it right now, but it'll be a hell of a story at some point.

I know there are outstanding questions in this thread and I'll get to them soon. Thanks everyone.

Thank you!! You are a gentlemen among goons . . . or something like that.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Still hoping for a response about the best projector for VJ (video jockey) work.

I had to temporarily pick up an Epson Home Cinema 1040 for a job recently. Specifically picked it up because it was 3k lumens and it was the highest lumens I could find which I could buy easily in a store. It is also pretty small and portable. I am planning on taking it back however because I want something brighter if possible.

The BenQ HT2050 mentioned looks pretty good but it is only 2200 lumens.

I am looking for something between 3-5k lumens which is fairly portable and around 1 grand but I am willing to spend more. Can anyone recommend something? Lumens, portability, and contrast ratio are my biggest concerns.

What are you going to watch/play/do? - VJ - so as mentioned, portability and durability are a big factor.

How big of a picture do you want? - Hadn't given this a lot of thought as throw distance and lumens are a bigger factor. I would say the size of a club wall, so at least 10-12 feet at bare minimum.

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?) - Right now I am experimenting with small amounts of tulle but I plan on buying roughly 110' x 50 yard bolt to build a screen out of tulle with. Outside of that, I will eventually buy a white screen used or use the wall of the venue if I can.

What are the restrictions, if any, on placement? - I have a good friend who has VJ'd for many, many years. He modified a speaker stand to make a projector stand and I hope to do the same. The idea is to strap it to a speaker stand with a custom platform and get the thing as high over heads as possible. In some cases, with a new venue, I may have the time to mount the projector but that isn't always possible. Wish I still had my old ceiling projection mount but I have no idea where that went since I moved. Pretty sure it was trashed in the move.

Other - A remote is pretty important, as is the ability to operate focus and keystone remotely. Projector should be black in color and as powerful / rugged as possible for the price. Lumens and throw distance are most important, with screen size and resolution coming next in priority. Paranoid about club environments, so any advice about a case or projector housing is welcome.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hmm - still trying to find the best projector for mobile VJ work.

Just got this advice:

quote:

one that has interchangeable lenses. Having the right throw distance is more important than anything else. New ones, with a normal, short and long throw lenses can cost 4
$4000-8000 dollars for the set. But frugal eBay shopping for a used one, you can keep that under a $1000

Can anyone tell me what model projector might be portable, have at least 3k lumens AND have 3 sets of lenses to swap out for normal, short and long throw? Ideally under 2k? Most of you guys are using projectors for home theater setups but I haven't heard much about professional use.