Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
About to build a 140 or possibly 150" AT screen out of spandex. Projector central's calculator seems to think the Optoma HD33's lighting will be bright enough if I keep the screen gain around 1.0

What other considerations should I be looking at in stepping up to this screen size ? I'm also considering building a stage for the screen.

Other upgrades may include phillips hue lighting, and repainting the walls a neutral non reflective colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So in planning my revision of my dedicated theater, I'm considering having the projector placed on/in a piece of furniture instead of being ceiling mounted. As some of you know I have pretty good bass capability and around 10hz I tend to knock the projector off aim. It's not just a mount issue, I'm moving the entire ceiling.

Anyways, I'm thinking I could do individual chairs upfront with a table in between that houses the projector, and use my existing reclining sofa as the rear row, possibly on a riser. But I havent run a projector this way and not sure of the downsides.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShotgunWillie posted:

I can't imagine that having the projector on a table on the floor, secured only by gravity, would be MORE secure than on a high quality, screwed in ceiling mount.

At 10hz, are you sure it isn't your eyeballs vibrating?

This is true. It would be more solid and secure if it wasn't bumped. I'd have to make some marks on the floor where the table would line up to. Getting it more stable while mounted to the ceiling would require structural changes to the house.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do any of the newer projectors auto detect side-by-side 3D format ? Some TV's do.

I am thinking of selling my HD33 for something newer. Requirements are to be bright enough for a 140" screen (in a light controlled room), be able to auto detect SBS content, and be able to switch refresh rates and 2D to 3D mode very quickly. My HD33 takes a solid 8+ seconds to switch refresh rates and it annoys the gently caress out of me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

emocrat posted:

Any of you projector gurus have any insight on basic calibration? I really have no idea what I am doing with this and if you have advice or links to even basic guides about the principles involved I would appreciate it. I spent some time last night messing with settings and I was constantly flip-floping on what I thought looked good. I am not really up for paying hundreds for a pro, and I don't need perfect, but some basics for a balanced viewing experience would be awesome.

So with a basic calibration I play a calibration disc (or file) on whatever device I use the most. IE my home theatre PC running xbmc.

However, if your projector has a THX, Movie, or Reference mode, that will get it pretty close. Start there and then adjust to your preference.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
maybe it's that black level thing, like, 16-255 vs 0-255 or whatever. I don't even remember.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah the black range thing gets me confused. I forget which I'm supposed to use and which to calibrate for. But now that I'm running xbmc via a google nexus player instead of an htpc is doesn't do the colour space thing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wolfbiker posted:

I love the NP and have two but kept an HTPC for my projector as it can change frame rates and the NP can't. There's the whole color thing too. Why did you switch to the NP for your projector?

Yes. I kept the htpc and I'm using it for my office room. I have the office to organise receipts from things I purchased for my office, such as a receipt scanner.

As for the frame rates, I can't tell the difference between between 24hz content being played at 24hz or repeated at 120hz or 60hz. It all looks the same to me, so the NP works perfectly. Besides, my projector has a bug where it can't render side-by-side 3D content properly if its set at 24hz. Setting the display to 60hz fixes the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aeka 2.0 posted:

re: light bouncing.
I've got dark brown walls and a white ceiling (with a 3 foot depth of a black stripe on the ceiling) and I have all kinds of wash out issues. Its pretty nuts on how much you need to do to truly control the bounce. I'm already thinking about expanding the black stripe and getting a bigger rug for my floor, it is tile. It also pisses me off when I've got my poo poo setup better than some theaters. I watched Interstellar with floor lighting bouncing off of the bottom two corners at an "Imax." At least that's what they called it, but it wasn't.

Interstellar was the first movie ive seen in awhile at the imax, and it sounded like poo poo. Bass didn't have good extension down low, and it was loud but really fatiguing. I can't wait until my review copy bluray gets here and I can let it rip at home.