Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Please recommend a projector for me. Looking for:

- 1080p
- Less than $1500, preferably at or below a thousand dollars
- It will start out in a room with an 9-foot throw but may move to a larger room in the future
- I'd like a 100" screen, and I'll be painting a rectangle on the wall
- Definitely want not-DLP
- Projector will be mounted right at ceiling level, if that matters

revmoo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
drat that is cheap. It might be worth forgoing my dislike of DLP for that. The only other thing I don't like is that it's listed at 2200 lumens and there seems to be competing offerings with 3000 or more. Are lumens apples-to-apples or are they not worth comparing?

Is there a way to figure out throw distances on projectors? like 100" @ 5 feet, 200" at 15 feet or something? Seems like a spec that should show up on product listings.

EDIT: I found a throw calculator on Optoma's site and according to it I'm looking at a 80" screen from 9 feet. Looks like I can get over 100" with a short throw so I guess I probably should go for one of those.

EDIT2: This unit looks pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT1080-Gaming-Projector-Enabled/dp/B00M9D4CAK

EDIT3: Doh, it's too short of a throw, the screen would be larger than the wall haha. It's looking like I need something with zoom I guess?

EDIT4: gently caress waiting for advice, bought this: http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/DH1009

I spent a long time messing around with the Optoma throw calculator and this seems to fit all my needs quite well. Too bad it's DLP but it seems like LCD just isn't there yet.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 18, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
20,000:1 is bad?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Well I guess if it sucks I'll send it back. I feel like I'm getting old because every time I sit in a conference room I'm amazed at the projector image quality.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah so I'm a big dummy. Anyway I have this unit and I'm actually pretty impressed except for one critical issue; the keystone adjustment leaves behind shaded areas that outline the display area.

Is this a common problem? I don't recall seeing this issue on any other projector in the past, but it's completely awful. For all I know it's a config setting somehow, but pushing brightness to zero doesn't make it go away.

I'll happily order the W1070 on Monday if it means I don't have this lovely keystone effect.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

sethsez posted:

Never use keystone, always get your projector properly aligned with the wall. The W1070 has some lens shift to make this easier.

Yeah so that was a result of the ghetto placement I did yesterday just to play some video games. I set it at table level and the keystone issues are gone. The projector actually works really, really nice and I like it alot...

HOWEVER, the mounts are totally stupid and I can't get the mount kit I bought to connect to it at all. I'd probably be willing to get a different unit but I have one concern; this projector which is supposedly blindingly bright is what I would call adequate. I'm very concerned that if I switch to a "cinema" projector it's not going to be bright enough with the blinds open. I think in this case I'm willing to trade picture quality for brightness, as I want to be able to use this thing in bright daylight for tv watching. Compounding this quandary is the fact that apparently manufacturers all lie on their lumen output levels. So I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to shop for another unit without being able to know how bright it is.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

sellouts posted:

Just keep the projector and move on from this thread. Please.

Yeah definitely doing one of those things. You guys are rude as poo poo

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anyone have suggestions to fix this issue on a w1070: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1910505-benq-w1070-color-issue.html

?

I've tried all color settings I can think of. Starting to think it's a hardware issue. Lamp has four hours on it and the issue was happening with the original lamp as well.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's practically a novelty projector, I'd buy a real one for that much money. You can put a regular projector in a drawer just as easily.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

neogeo0823 posted:

What would you recommend at a similar price point?

This thread likes to jerk off about the W1070 at the expense of just about any other rmodel. It's a decent projector but I didn't find it very impressive. I'd use the projectorcentral calculator to figure out what you need for your room and then look through reviews of the models that fit the bill for throw, size, and brightness. Those are your key variables you need to figure out before choosing a model.

I will add, if you plan on using a projector a lot, I'd plan on just buying a whole new unit every year or so and just sell the old one to recoup some cash. Easier than dealing with long-term projector issues like dust buildup, color wheel problems, fan issues, etc etc loving etc. Do the math on $/hr and figure out what makes sense for you.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

You can probably just buy a big boy short-throw projector for that much cash and have real lumens...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

cubicle gangster posted:

Went with the benQ, thanks!

Also went by the new office and it looks like we cant hang it from the ceiling, going to have to get a stand for it to sit on the meeting table. I'm a little nervous about getting this all set up, it wasnt an easy sell so i'm really banking on it blowing everyone away.

Protip: make sure you have it at the right height so you don't have to use any keystone correction, it fucks up the picture.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I don't think you can do what you're trying to do and keep it up to code.

If you figure it out though please update the thread.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll post in that thread.

Considering you can buy in wall power kits that do the same thing for wall mount TVs, I don't see why not. The only difference is that I'm doing a ceiling and wall run and not using a kit.

I think the issue would be injecting power into the wall with a "portable" device (the ups). Anyway like I said let me know if you work it out.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Thanks for the update, interested to hear that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Drill guide / drill guide block right?

I always just jam that fucker sideways also.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I would not buy a w1070 for television use if you have anything other than a HEPA filtration system in your house. When used for long hours the cooling clogs up and the picture quality goes to utter poo poo.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ixian posted:

Like I said, I don't think the 1070 does any better or worse job at this.

I got 13 months out of my w1070. Even in a dusty house I have a hard time believing that is par for the course.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have my projector, htpc, and receiver all in a media rack to the right of my couch. We just point our remotes at the screen and the IR bounces back towards our gear. No issues. You'll probably want to make sure you have fresh batteries in your remotes.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I think you'll be just fine, our remotes have worked flawlessly with this method for like two years now.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

eddiewalker posted:

I'm new to this, but I'm just trying to scope out my eventual basement remodel.

Are there quality screens that are acoustically-transparent enough to hide a center speaker behind, or is that a bad idea?

Extremely common, not an issue.

If you want to get baller and feel like discarding a whole room you could do a rear-projection theatre. I've always wanted to try that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Are there PJs without color wheels? Is that a thing?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

quote:

extremely high input lag (120ms+).

Well there goes picking up a nice used unit.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A PJ over the cabinets will annoy the poo poo out of you due to the light path. I would do either a short throw in the middle of the ceiling, or nothing at all.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mango Polo posted:

I have a question. It might be dumb.

I'm moving into a new flat and badly want to have a projector again (looking at the BenQ HT2150ST, since it's mostly going to be used for gaming and I wouldn't be able to accomodate a standard throw distance). The only spot where I can fit a 100" screen is... tucked next to another wall, with a bunch of open space on the other side. Like so:

Could this cause an issue with light bouncing off the left wall and mucking up the picture in a weird way, e.g. nothing to bounce off on the right?

Doubt it but I'd definitely make sure to paint the walls a darker color. We did dark navy in our tv room and it works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yes.

I really like my setup, we put our living room in a very small bedroom, and I used a relatively short throw, so you are like 6 feet away from a 112" screen. The ratio of size to distance is not quite IMAX levels but it's better than any theatre I've been in outside of an IMAX. We have a big sectional in Tetris L shape that eats up the rest of the room. It's perfect.

I put a grid up on the wall and then painted the room navy blue, leaving a 16:9 rectangle for the screen. With the projector properly adjusted (it shifts throughout the seasons and I have to adjust it a couple times a year) it has a perfectly sharp lines all the way around where the screen meets the dark blue paint. It's a really cool effect and I haven't seen anybody else do it.