Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

While we were away...

After the Great White Cast Avalanche of 2013, one might be forgiven for thinking that this past summer would've been an uneventful one for Saturday Night Live. A couple people would quietly leave, everyone else would stick around, and we'd settle into the middle of a new cast cycle.

About that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CXWYIGPUPQ

Don Pardo, the Voice of God SNL for all but one of its 39 seasons to date, died this summer. He was 96. One of only two people ever to be offered a lifetime contract at NBC (the other being Bob Hope), Don lent a voice of authority to a struggling new show in the 70s, only to prove just as game for a joke as anyone else on the show. His voice provided a career milestone for dozens of comedians, and at the risk of being overly sappy, was a security blanket at the end of the week that signaled you were about to have a good time. He will be missed greatly.

Replacing him is former cast member Darrell Hammond. While he won't be doing his imitation that he previously employed a few times as a cast member, it seems fitting to bring back the show's longest tenured cast member to replace the show's longest tenured anybody.

The cast has also seen nearly as many changes as last year:

Leaving
Nasim Pedrad (:ohdear:) - After a great run, she left for a starring role in Mulaney. It remains to be seen if that show pans out, but let's wish her all the best!
John Milhiser (:confused:) - Unfortunately, being in two sketches all season leaves you pretty well doomed.
Noel Wells (:j:) - Her thing was supposed to be impressions. Her one star turn as Nancy Grace sucked. You do the math.
Brooks Wheelan (:jerkbag:) - When your only claim to fame is "Didn't entirely suck when playing himself on Weekend Update bits", you're screwed. :byewhore:
Mike O'Brien (:shobon:) - He'd been a writer for a few years prior to entering the cast, and really spent most of his time doing pre-taped bits. That's fine, and all, but kind of redundant next to the better-received Good Neighbor pair (notice how Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennett are the only two returning players from the big group?). He's going back to the writer's room, so his sense of humor isn't entirely gone.

And speaking of leaving, remember how everyone thought that one of the pair of Colin Jost and Cecily Strong needed to leave? Well, they picked the wrong one, since Cecily is leaving Update to focus on sketch work and is being replaced by...

Joining
Michael Che - Look, Michael Che owns. He owns on Bunk, he owns on the Daily Show, and he owns pretty much everywhere else he goes. His disinterested delivery hides a real sharp guy underneath, and it'll be interesting to see how he plays off of SNL characters and Colin, who he apparently has a good working relationship with from prior SNL seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLF4GMZmvXM

Pete Davidson - Hey everyone, look! Another standup! Remember how great that worked with Brooks Wheelan? This time he's black, though, so now nobody can complain about SNL's race problems for *pulls out calculator* 2 seasons! :haw: In all seriousness, he gives a much better impression than Brooks did from what I can find of his work, so here's hoping he does a good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93wjmELTF3I

So that's everything. How are we getting started with this, the :siren:40th:siren: (holy poo poo really?!) season of Saturday Night Live?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQhS2q7IHQM

Chris Pratt is The New Hotness right now in Hollywood, and boy howdy does he deserve it. Funny, charming, suddenly swole as hell, and all around a great guy, Chris is everything I wish I was and I hate him :mad:. He should do really great. Hopefully it makes up for the musical guest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS1g8G_njx8

Ugh. Ugh. I have a high tolerance for pop tarts, and this girl just breaks through that ceiling with gusto. Setting aside the fact she's apparently batshit crazy waiting to happen, she just reeks of Disney Machine Output. It's not interesting, new, or anything at all. God dammit Lorne, what the gently caress are you doing.

Coming up...

October 4, 2014: Sarah Silverman & Maroon 5
October 11, 2014: Bill Hader & Hozier

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I would all over Ariana Grande

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

TheScott2K posted:

I would all over Ariana Grande

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Cecily was about the last person I pictured not coming back, this sucks.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

She's still there. She's just not on Update.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Illinois Smith posted:

I'll rewrite that bit to make it more clear tonight, but yeah, she only left Update. She's still in the cast.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just thought I'd mention that NBC is going to be airing classic SNL episodes every Saturday night at 10 PM, starting this week with the classic Richard Pryor episode from 1975.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

DaveWoo posted:

Just thought I'd mention that NBC is going to be airing classic SNL episodes every Saturday night at 10 PM, starting this week with the classic Richard Pryor episode from 1975.

But will it have the unedited interview sketch?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Thanks to SNL's tumblr I read an article on Kenan's mastery on SNL and the next thing I know I've been watching What Up With That skits for the last 30 minutes please send help...

DakkaUT
Sep 27, 2004

Pinwiz11 posted:

Thanks to SNL's tumblr I read an article on Kenan's mastery on SNL and the next thing I know I've been watching What Up With That skits for the last 30 minutes please send help...

Can't help, did exactly the same thing this afternoon. Why everyone else isn't doing it is the bigger question.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mo0 posted:

Ugh. Ugh. I have a high tolerance for pop tarts, and this girl just breaks through that ceiling with gusto. Setting aside the fact she's apparently batshit crazy waiting to happen, she just reeks of Disney Machine Output. It's not interesting, new, or anything at all. God dammit Lorne, what the gently caress are you doing.

She's supposed to actually be a really talented singer with incredible range.

That just doesn't move albums to Disney kids.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Ariana Grande has a great voice. She just can't enunciate to save her life so she ends up sounding like a sweet little Boomhauer most of the time.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Aphrodite posted:

Then I look forward to her Wrecking Ball moment. Her voice may be good but her packaging suuuuuuucks.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I currently have an irrational dislike for her because of her brother ruining this year's Big Brother for me.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Way to put a link to the new thread in the old one, Mo0 :mad:

Want some Pardo trivia? No? gently caress you here it is anyway. As Mo0 mentioned, Pardo announced for 38 of SNL's first 39 years. When Dick Ebersol was hired as Producer in 1981, he had hired former writer Michael O'Donoghue as a consultant (or as O'Donoghue had requested for his title, "Reich Marshall" or "Godhead.") O'Donoghue said that Pardo's kitsch value to the show was past its expiration date, and he should be let go, which Ebersol did. Pardo was crushed. They hired another NBC announcer, Bill Hanrahan. By the time the next season started, though, O'Donoghue was gone, and Pardo was back. In the interim, there was one cast member, Christine Ebersole, who only worked that one season, that to this day is the only cast member NOT to have been announced by the late, great, Don Pardo.

This Saturday, Michael Che and Pete Davidson will join her in sharing this dubious distinction.

Also, Lorne did say they were going to do a Pardo tribute in the first show.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Whenever someone mentions Pardo, I always immediately think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYo9oXBsE5M

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Hopefully they'll hold off until the end of the night to do the tribute. I have a feeling I'm going to be feeling some feelings when it happens. I've been watching the show for 20 years at this point. It's going to be strange not having him around.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the tribute is a sketch thats the normal straight man meets weird family sketch exceot the weird family all talks like don pardo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Should be a good show, Che is great (though I expect he's going to suffer like Jay did and spend a month or so doing just one sketch a show) and the other guy looks ok, I basically have zero opinion about him so hey at least he probably can't disappoint me! Slither over the bar, random stand up!

The only cast member that sucks to lose is Nasim Pedrad and she's a pretty big loss, but I think the rest of the crew is solid enough to be just fine without her.

Guys is SNL good? I'm scared, this is new to me.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hey Tatum Girlparts! Love you in the Politoons thread, great to see you here. I predict tonight will be A Good Show.

rodbeard posted:

Hopefully they'll hold off until the end of the night to do the tribute. I have a feeling I'm going to be feeling some feelings when it happens. I've been watching the show for 20 years at this point. It's going to be strange not having him around.
22 years here, and yeah, the feels will be strong. I do kinda hope they open the show with it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

pwn posted:

22 years here, and yeah, the feels will be strong. I do kinda hope they open the show with it.

I may have missed a handful of shows in the past 36 years, so if I can get a laugh out of one sketch, I consider it a good show.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

But will it have the unedited interview sketch?
Just ran uncensored. :)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mo0 posted:

Ugh. Ugh. God dammit Lorne, what the gently caress are you doing.

Haven't there been current pop stars on the show many, many, many times before? Most with much less talent than Ariana Grande?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
God drat I miss Richard Pryor. He was one of a kind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

Haven't there been current pop stars on the show many, many, many times before? Most with much less talent than Ariana Grande?

Several times they even made them the host.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Belushi was such a goddamn genius, and Pryor was 5 times as good as that. I'm so glad they're doing the old re-runs before the new ones, because man were these classic. Some of the humor may not have aged well, but taken in context it was edgy and sharp and ground-breaking.

And holy crap I've been watching this show on and off for 27 years now. I still remember my looking at staying up to watch SNL as a major milestone in my life in 1987

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GPTribefan posted:

Belushi was such a goddamn genius, and Pryor was 5 times as good as that. I'm so glad they're doing the old re-runs before the new ones, because man were these classic. Some of the humor may not have aged well, but taken in context it was edgy and sharp and ground-breaking.

And holy crap I've been watching this show on and off for 27 years now. I still remember my looking at staying up to watch SNL as a major milestone in my life in 1987

It's a shame they haven't remastered the footage at all. Makes you wonder if they still have the original film.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Powershift posted:

It's a shame they haven't remastered the footage at all. Makes you wonder if they still have the original film.

How much can you remaster videotape?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Powershift posted:

It definitely looks and sounds like a tape of a tape... Even the ones that were on the DVD and Netflix look and sound the same. I'd wager NBC wasn't too interested in keeping original footage of most shows back then

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Powershift posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since it was shot on live tape, then doesn't that mean it's pretty limited in the quality you can get out of it?

Edit: I think that's why old tape of newscasts always looks pretty rough, too. So, that's why the only tape available of Cronkite announcing JFK's death is so bad.

Doctor Candiru fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 28, 2014

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Haha... Muppets on SNL?

e: Drunk muppets

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You cut the episode to an hour and loving leave in Gorch? What the hell NBC?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The only cast member that sucks to lose is Nasim Pedrad and she's a pretty big loss, but I think the rest of the crew is solid enough to be just fine without her.

I'm fine with it because we never have to see the "Shalon"(?) sketch ever again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Doctor Candiru posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since it was shot on live tape, then doesn't that mean it's pretty limited in the quality you can get out of it?

Edit: I think that's why old tape of newscasts always looks pretty rough, too. So, that's why the only tape available of Cronkite announcing JFK's death is so bad.

Did you watch the series "the sixties" on CNN?(if not you should)

They remastered some of the CNN owned live footage, and it looked really loving good. Then again even the worst of the footage looked better than SNL

This episode of SNL looked like they lost all the original footage, and had to buy a VHS recording of the original airing off of somebody on craigslist.

I really have no clue as to how any of that stuff worked back in the day, but even if this is the best quality thing they have, there has to be ways to clean it up without killing the character of it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

No Gil Scott Heron. "They'll include musical guests"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Duke posted:

I'm fine with it because we never have to see the "Shalon"(?) sketch ever again.

I think it speaks t the quality of that sketch that I legitimately have not the foggiest idea what that is.

Like, I fuckin hate Gilly, but if someone says 'at least there's not a Gilly sketch' I know exactly what they mean but this is a total blank.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pwn posted:

No Gil Scott Heron. "They'll include musical guests"

Had to show Gorch and Albert Brooks for some reason though. As if those are worth watching at all.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
It being the premiere and all, feel free to come into the IRC if you want to livewatch with some people. Deadpool is here! You can complain about the forum to him!

Direct link on Mibbit: http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23satviv&server=irc.synirc.net

#satviv on SynIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
With how expensive tape is/was, they did wipe a lot back in the day to reuse the tape. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a beta archived somewhere in Rockefeller Center that was kept for stations that missed the live airing to copy and send out. And since most stations use beta, well...beta SP is better than consumer beta, but its still beta.

It is possible to retouch the tape and remaster it with digital, and it's not super hard, but I imagine NBC doesn't care that much to remaster it. After Effects is a wonderful tool to retouch, and I belive Avid has good remastering tools, but I haven't played around a lot with Avid since we're an adobe house, but it's not difficult, but it is time consuming to sharpen and remaster each sketch with different lighting etc. I imagine NBC has better things to do with their editing suite than to remaster old SNL eps. But :tenbux: says they took a beta out of archive from a station somewhere and just popped it in to air.

• Locked thread