Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

FF13 is poo poo. It's really bad. I'm totally getting it on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

elf help book posted:

when you finally get access to all 6 characters i immediately and permanently made my team all girls

Uhhh sazh????

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

linearity is not a problem as long as you mix in some puzzles in there to break up the monotony of combat. that is my issue with the recent Tales of games as well.
puzzles loving suck and are boring

and combat in tales games owns and is never monotonous

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

and combat in tales games owns and is never monotonous
go through that one forest in tales of symphonia and then come back and tell me jrpgs need more puzzles

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Endorph posted:

youre retarded

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Famous TV Dad posted:

youre retarded

endorph is a tales fan, so that much was self-evident

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If you want a good laugh peep the aggro-gator website that's advertised here to see some awesome GBS goons chime in with there brutal, epic senses of humor lmao.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

youre retarded
here's what i want to be doing in tales games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfPh7FNyTAw

here's what i don't want to be doing in tales games

if that makes me retarded then so be it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
that reminds me the clock puzzles in 13-2 suck and heres a tool to solve them for you http://clockpuzzle.pl/

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Endorph posted:

go through that one forest in tales of symphonia and then come back and tell me jrpgs need more puzzles

that's the one bad puzzle in a game where literally every single dungeon in a 70ish hour game has at least one puzzle/gimmick in it

jrpgs need stuff besides hitting X to advance text and hitting X to do the same canned four hit combo into demon fang or whatever or they get really loving boring, esp most tales games because a lot of them fall into the trap of "just dial these combos against the enemy who can't escape and win" being some sort of good thing for more then 10 minutes.

there's a reason ff7 has "quite possibly the greatest game ever made" on the back of the box. it's not because it was the first rpg for a lot of people, or because it had a lot of at the time revolutionary ideas for an rpg, it's because it has lots of dumb minigames like out-squatting some gym bunnies, snowboarding, or getting into a slapfight.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

elf help book posted:

that reminds me the clock puzzles in 13-2 suck and heres a tool to solve them for you http://clockpuzzle.pl/

i liked the first few, but they pretty quickly became annoying as hell and i used that website to solve them for me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

hitting X to do the same canned four hit combo into demon fang or whatever
oh so you suck at tales games okay

my reaction at the end of every puzzle, even 'good ones,' isn't 'woah i sure am glad i beat this brain teaser!' it's 'wow im glad that bullshit is over so i can get on with the game'

all the minigames in ff7 are cool but the difference between them and gigantic gimmick-y puzzle dungeons is that squatting with that one dude in ff7 takes like twenty seconds and dragging those shadow dudes around in the darkness dungeon in ToS takes like twenty minutes

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Silver Striker posted:

i liked the first few, but they pretty quickly became annoying as hell and i used that website to solve them for me

i didnt think to look for that until i was on the final one in the game

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

oh so you suck at tales games okay

stop being a pedantic rear end in a top hat, I'm not going to type out "two hit combo into jump attack into sky cast lightning, land, three hit combo, lightning blade, demon fang, victory light spear" or whatever the gently caress. every tales game with a huge focus on combos is really bad because they just turn into devil may cry for morons where you don't need to think at all about how you're going to fight the enemies.

dragging the shadows takes 20 minutes, but so does every jrpg dungeon unless they decide to drag it out with endless hallways

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

stop being a pedantic rear end in a top hat, I'm not going to type out "two hit combo into jump attack into sky cast lightning, land, three hit combo, lightning blade, demon fang, victory light spear" or whatever the gently caress. every tales game with a huge focus on combos is really bad because they just turn into devil may cry for morons where you don't need to think at all about how you're going to fight the enemies.
tales of graces owns actually, and there's no tales game where you need to think about how youre going to fight enemies. the good games are more about reflexes than anything and the bad ones are legendia

darealkooky posted:

dragging the shadows takes 20 minutes, but so does every jrpg dungeon unless they decide to drag it out with endless hallways
welcome to my point? the dungeons in xillia 1/2 are over in like 5 minutes and you can get on with the actual game you're playing. basically that's why i dont like puzzles, they don't really have anything to do with the actual game you're playing. like most jrpgs have their own take on combat but every single jrpg dungeon is just 'hold x to grab these blocks. okay now move these blocks somewhere else'

'flip this switch to move this bridge' 'now flip the switch back to move this other bridge back into place'

it just feels like meaningless busy work to pad out the game

eternia had okay dungeons with puzzles but that was because they were over in half a second

games need things to break up the combat/cutscenes yeah but i feel like towns and ssidequests do that plenty

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Just lol if you don't play Silent Hill 3 on the hardest puzzle difficulty

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

it just feels like meaningless busy work to pad out the game

I have some shocking news. Literally all videogames are busy work that exist to pad out time, especially ones where doing the exact same combos on enemies who can't fight back over and over is "the good part"

graces in particular is really bad about this poo poo because the enemies will decide to dogpile whoever is in the first slot most of the time, and your AI party members have no idea how to use the dodging mechanic every strong enemy is designed around and die in two hits on modes above normal. most of the time you're better off just soloing the game as asbel or hubert instead of trying to use the other characters who don't work when 8 monsters are charging at them or reviving your party members because they're just going to die in two seconds anyway. only way to make "juggle enemies to death with this one combo over and over" even more boring is by limiting the number of characters that are actually useable to do their one combo with

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

elf help book posted:

its cool to juggle really giant enemies and also sometimes you can juggle them so long that they leave and reenter stagger before landing

hell yeah that is cool but it feels weird to do no damage to a boss and then to do a shitload all at once idk. also in lightning returns it seems like they took out the launch aspect of staggering which is dumb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

I have some shocking news. Literally all videogames are busy work that exist to pad out time, especially ones where doing the exact same combos on enemies who can't fight back over and over is "the good part"

graces in particular is really bad about this poo poo because the enemies will decide to dogpile whoever is in the first slot most of the time, and your AI party members have no idea how to use the dodging mechanic every strong enemy is designed around and die in two hits on modes above normal. most of the time you're better off just soloing the game as asbel or hubert instead of trying to use the other characters who don't work when 8 monsters are charging at them or reviving your party members because they're just going to die in two seconds anyway. only way to make "juggle enemies to death with this one combo over and over" even more boring is by limiting the number of characters that are actually useable to do their one combo with
lol you're bad + wrong

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

variety is cool but its not a requirement and can be a detriment :)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

if you need to break up a game you can play another game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like the super confusing old Tales game dungeons, actually.

The Aethersphere in Destiny was like one giant convoluted dungeon made up of several smaller-yet-still-large convoluted dungeons.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

XIII-2 is crammed with every JRPG mechanic they could think of, and it made me realise that I hate modern JRPGs.

Action RPGs are fine when they don't try to make you waste hours doing boring poo poo, so at least the only thing XIII had for gameplay was its combat, although it was only fun when it was challenging. XIII-2 was so easy that in every encounter you spent more time loading it and seeing the results screen than actually fighting it. Then you got to the final area, and if the platforming wasn't bad enough, the enemies will wipe the floor with you.

If you completed XIII-2 100%, you used a guide and you didn't have fun doing it. You kept grinding those materials and filling out those maps and answering those quizzes because you knew that the endorphins released in your brain at the end of it would be worth all those hours of effort. You're an idiot and you've been tricked by a game that used every trick in the book to make you think it's fun, without ever actually being fun. It's a poo poo game, and if you disagree then go look at that bikini you bought for Serah because you didn't have the restraint to not own all the DLC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

XIII-2 is crammed with every JRPG mechanic they could think of, and it made me realise that I hate modern JRPGs.

Action RPGs are fine when they don't try to make you waste hours doing boring poo poo, so at least the only thing XIII had for gameplay was its combat, although it was only fun when it was challenging. XIII-2 was so easy that in every encounter you spent more time loading it and seeing the results screen than actually fighting it. Then you got to the final area, and if the platforming wasn't bad enough, the enemies will wipe the floor with you.

If you completed XIII-2 100%, you used a guide and you didn't have fun doing it. You kept grinding those materials and filling out those maps and answering those quizzes because you knew that the endorphins released in your brain at the end of it would be worth all those hours of effort. You're an idiot and you've been tricked by a game that used every trick in the book to make you think it's fun, without ever actually being fun. It's a poo poo game, and if you disagree then go look at that bikini you bought for Serah because you didn't have the restraint to not own all the DLC.
holy poo poo

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i didn't 100% 13-2, i just played it until i stopped having fun which was enough to complete the main story and some of the optional content and it was fun while it lasted.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i went to buy the all dlc bundle on xbox to use up some money on my account before i stop playing 360 altogether and they charged the entire bill to my credit card instead of using the money on my account so i complained to them and got a refund so i got that bikini for free

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

i didn't 100% 13-2, i just played it until i stopped having fun which was enough to complete the main story and some of the optional content and it was fun while it lasted.
You're an idiot and you've been tricked by a game that used every trick in the book to make you think it's fun, without ever actually being fun. It's a poo poo game, and if you disagree then go look at that bikini you bought for Serah because you didn't have the restraint to not own all the DLC.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ff13-2 is the sonic 2006 of jrpgs

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

All I want to know is why that Azure Horizon guy thought the story was so amazing, and why the Freelance Astronauts decided to record themselves completing the game 100%.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

All I want to know is why that Azure Horizon guy thought the story was so amazing, and why the Freelance Astronauts decided to record themselves completing the game 100%.

i dont want to know any of that

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Hi

I didn't read this thread but Final Fantasy XIII is a very good game.

Peace

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

K. Flaps posted:

Hi

I didn't read this thread but Final Fantasy XIII is a very good game.

Peace

no it's not omg

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Silver Striker posted:

sazh is an extremely epic character

anyway, ff13 is actually pretty okay before you get to gran pulse, it's just that is where you really get to see the best part of the game. i know it has become a meme to act like 13 is the worst game ever because it is linear, but so is ff10 and i don't see people complain about that as much.

yes but I hate both of the games so your argument is invalid on me

also I'm still dead cause of you.

Also Azure Horizon is literally a gay rapist.

Endorph posted:

here's what i don't want to be doing in tales games

The entire point of that puzzle was to get a fruit that was up high in a tree.
And you have a person in your party who can fly.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 25, 2014

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

darealkooky posted:

ff13-2 is the sonic 2006 of jrpgs

it has chocolina so I'm gonna agree with that statement

is it true that she turns out to be the grown up version of sazh's fro bird?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think the creator of Final Fantasy 13 really wants to make Lightning his waifu. Which is weird because he created her in the first place.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

SunAndSpring posted:

I think the creator of Final Fantasy 13 really wants to make Lightning his waifu. Which is weird because he created her in the first place.

David Cage does this a lot

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Cyra posted:

David Cage does this a lot

Is he Mormon or Muslim or something? Can't have more than one waifu, bro.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

More than one waifu will ruin your laifu.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Concordat posted:

More than one waifu will ruin your laifu.

You can get rid of a waifu with a raifu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Don't kill your waifu. You'll get ten to laifu.

• Locked thread