Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Endorph posted:

go through that one forest in tales of symphonia and then come back and tell me jrpgs need more puzzles

that's the one bad puzzle in a game where literally every single dungeon in a 70ish hour game has at least one puzzle/gimmick in it

jrpgs need stuff besides hitting X to advance text and hitting X to do the same canned four hit combo into demon fang or whatever or they get really loving boring, esp most tales games because a lot of them fall into the trap of "just dial these combos against the enemy who can't escape and win" being some sort of good thing for more then 10 minutes.

there's a reason ff7 has "quite possibly the greatest game ever made" on the back of the box. it's not because it was the first rpg for a lot of people, or because it had a lot of at the time revolutionary ideas for an rpg, it's because it has lots of dumb minigames like out-squatting some gym bunnies, snowboarding, or getting into a slapfight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

oh so you suck at tales games okay

stop being a pedantic rear end in a top hat, I'm not going to type out "two hit combo into jump attack into sky cast lightning, land, three hit combo, lightning blade, demon fang, victory light spear" or whatever the gently caress. every tales game with a huge focus on combos is really bad because they just turn into devil may cry for morons where you don't need to think at all about how you're going to fight the enemies.

dragging the shadows takes 20 minutes, but so does every jrpg dungeon unless they decide to drag it out with endless hallways

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

it just feels like meaningless busy work to pad out the game

I have some shocking news. Literally all videogames are busy work that exist to pad out time, especially ones where doing the exact same combos on enemies who can't fight back over and over is "the good part"

graces in particular is really bad about this poo poo because the enemies will decide to dogpile whoever is in the first slot most of the time, and your AI party members have no idea how to use the dodging mechanic every strong enemy is designed around and die in two hits on modes above normal. most of the time you're better off just soloing the game as asbel or hubert instead of trying to use the other characters who don't work when 8 monsters are charging at them or reviving your party members because they're just going to die in two seconds anyway. only way to make "juggle enemies to death with this one combo over and over" even more boring is by limiting the number of characters that are actually useable to do their one combo with

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ff13-2 is the sonic 2006 of jrpgs

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ff13-2 owns because it comes up with half a dozen way cooler ideas for a videogame then what you actually play, but makes them bad endings

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

no man it gets forshadowed, you just need to pay attention to some cutscenes you'll probably forget about and/or read the in-game wikipedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's easy to forget that serah is a seer, something that's only mentioned like twice before the ending outside of the wikipedia, when the game makes a big loving deal about how every other seer you meet is another version of yuel that looks the exact same

• Locked thread