Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gracepoint is a remake of acclaimed ITV series Broadchurch which won the BAFTA (British Emmy) for Drama Series, Lead Actress, and Supporting Actor. The show is a small town murder mystery in the vein of The Killing. Unlike The Killing, however, it doesn't suck.

Although Broadchurch was an 8-part series, episodes ran 44-50 minutes, so Gracepoint's 10 episodes should cover the same material. In fact, my understanding is the pilot is a shot-for-shot remake, which was also done with the U.S. pilot of The Office. David Tennant, most famous for playing the tenth Doctor Who, reprises his role from Broadchurch - no other actors do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IWvbbZPZc

CHARACTERS

The Police

Detective Emmett Carver (David Tennant) is new to the town of Gracepoint

Detective Ellie Miller (Anna Gunn) is a townie and Carver's partner

The Solanos

Danny Solano (Nikolas Filipovic) is a 12-year-old boy whose death sets the show in motion

Mark Solano (Michael Peņa) is Danny's father and owns a plumbing business

Beth Solano (Virginia Kull) is Danny's mother

Chloe Solano (Madalyn Horcher) is Danny's older sister

The Millers

Joe Miller (Josh Hamilton) is Ellie's husband

Tom Miller (Jack Irvine) is Ellie's son and Danny's friend

The Press

Owen Burke (Kevin Zegers) is a young reporter at the local newspaper

Renee Clemons (Jessica Lucas) is a big city reporter who follows Carver to Gracepoint

The Townspeople

Reverend Paul Coates (Kevin Rankin) is the town's pastor

Susan Wright (Jacki Weaver) lives in the trailer park and has a dog

Jack Reinhold (Nick Nolte) runs the beach's kayak rental

Vince Novik (Stephen Louis Grush) is the coworker/best friend of Danny's father, Mark

Gemma Fisher (Sarah-Jane Potts) owns the town's only hotel where Carver is staying

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They could have the same killer or they could not. I suspect it's a closely guarded secret.

One thing I don't understand is the hotel owner. "Gemma" is much more a British name than American, and the actress herself is English.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did anyone else watch the premiere?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zero One posted:

I did. I really liked Broadchurch so I was looking forward to this.

I have to say... I'm disappointed that its basically a shot for shot remake.
That's not so crazy for a pilot. The script slowly starts to diverge and there are some big changes by episode 7.

Regardless, the ratings were not good and if this wasn't a miniseries, it would be cancelled after 10 episodes anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kin posted:

I just don't understand the need for a remake. Is the concept of a passably good British show so alien to American audiences that it has to be reshot with the same characters, but with an American accent?

It's not like there's any cross-Atlantic complexities to translate. I mean, you guys do have caravans right?
Broadchurch WAS aired in the US on BBC America and was seen by nobody. Broadcast networks won't reair a British show directly, and yes, the average American viewer won't watch a British show.

And before you say it, very few people watch Downton Abbey in the US.

That said, very few people are watching Gracepoint. Yesterday's ratings fell from a 1.2 premiere to 0.9 which is even worse than Bad Judge's 1.3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wormil posted:

Anna Gunn wasn't the problem. The biggest problem was it was billed as a mystery and was really terrible at being that. I would call it a complete failure. Which is a surprise because the British like their mysteries and are typically pretty good at them. In other aspects it was competent.

A minor problem was the dark subject, child murder, that turned my wife off immediately and probably many others.
I marathoned Broadchurch over the summer, but I couldn't watch more than 2 episodes of Gracepoint, though I did just catch up with the finale to see what changed.

I really liked Broadchurch, but it had all the "problems" you stated. This show would probably have been better off on Netflix.

• Locked thread