Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Agent Callous is an amazing name. Darth Passive-Aggressive. Grand Moff Doesn't-Buy-His-Round.

This was a pretty good first episode, I kept assuming the current dilemna was going to be a set-up for next week but, just getting on with rescuing Ezra and interrupting the slave shipment was great pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I really like that ezra is the kid template from weg star wars. With sling and all

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Kibayasu posted:

Until Ezra stops using his Space Laser Slingshot I'm afraid I cannot support this show :colbert:

You want the girly pistol that shoots blue stun rings instead or something?

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
This was pretty good. Ezra is a worse name than agent callous though.

TheBigBad posted:

If you watch that scene again I think you'll find it's the stormtrooper that shoots the stun rings.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Mazreal posted:

So you're saying it's "Better than Ezra?"

:v:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Mazreal posted:

If you watch that scene again I think you'll find it's the stormtrooper that shoots the stun rings.

Leia's sporting pistol also shoots them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TheBigBad posted:

It was mostly a joke but really, just give the kid a laser gun. It's not like he won't be helping to kill a few dozen stormtroopers with hilariously wacky methods within a few episodes anyways.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Dave Syndrome posted:

All the niggles I have are really really minor points:
- Could they make up their minds whether to call the planet LOW-thal or Lo-THAHL?

I tend to accept this as being accent variation (unless the same people say it differently). I mean, not as if everyone says real life places with total consistency either.

But yeah, I liked this as well, though Kinberg's relative lack of experience with TV writing does show a bit - more in the first half than the second. I like a lot of the smaller moments of the episode - stuff like Ezra's minor freakout at the strange sensation of Kanan being nearby, calmly meditating in order to open the holocron, Kallus' quick realisation that the paint is actually an explosive - but also some of the larger set pieces. Kanan lighting up his saber (albeit with an animation error) for the first time in years was a treat, hope to see the reaction play out some more before people are properly acclimated to it.

One thing that admittedly bugs me somewhat is Ezra's outfit. I mean, for the most part its fine, except... his left leg. I mean, what I can guess is that he's wearing trousers under the jumpsuit, but its hard to tell where that ends and his boot/shoe begins. I mean, for a while I thought he had a prosthetic limb.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, that throws me every time too. Not the first time Star Wars has gone with an asymmetric costume design like that though, iirc the rebel pilot flightsuits had something like that too.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Watched this on a whim, and I liked it overall! I could definitely see the McQuarrie influences, and hearing the classic TIE Fighter screech was a joy. I was a little disappointed when I thought they were going for a sabacc reference with "22 Pickup", but apparently the winning hand is 23. Still, that would have been a really obscure EU nod.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Astro Nut posted:

One thing that admittedly bugs me somewhat is Ezra's outfit. I mean, for the most part its fine, except... his left leg. I mean, what I can guess is that he's wearing trousers under the jumpsuit, but its hard to tell where that ends and his boot/shoe begins. I mean, for a while I thought he had a prosthetic limb.

Near the end of the episode, when Ezra confronts that stormtrooper on the pier or whatever, he does this massive summersault over the storm trooper. First time around that stuck out to me as something especially cartoony, as the rest of the show's animation actually felt pretty weighty and realistic; but after watching that part again I think the weird leg boot thing is some kind of jumping apparatus. Either that or dude did some kind of force jump. (or general cartoon logic)

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 1, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Ezra did a bunch of long jumps, actually. I assumed it was due to his latent Jediness. The leg thing would explain a lot.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I wonder how long ago Obi Wan actually distributed those holocrons since he looked pretty young, considering we're supposed to be about 5 years removed from A New Hope. At any rate I am looking forward to some hammy Jason Isaacs :)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Aces High posted:

I wonder how long ago Obi Wan actually distributed those holocrons since he looked pretty young, considering we're supposed to be about 5 years removed from A New Hope. At any rate I am looking forward to some hammy Jason Isaacs :)

I imagine it was immediatley after fighting with Vader, that was the first chance he could have conceivably done that. Doubt he waited a while to warn his jedi bros.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Aces High posted:

Actually, it struck me that it was the message he recorded and sent out when he and Yoda went to the Jedi Temple to warn the rest of the Jedi all to stay away.

I've given Clone Wars a couple tries, never really got into it, but this hooked me like nothing else Star Wars related in a long time. It's got sort of an interesting twist on the Han-Luke relationship: a young boy out for himself teaming up with the older, idealistic Jedi. I'm very excited to see where this goes.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

TL posted:

Actually, it struck me that it was the message he recorded and sent out when he and Yoda went to the Jedi Temple to warn the rest of the Jedi all to stay away.
Yeah, it was a Sith tie-in, a pretty great one, at that.

I hope some of the Kanan-centric episodes explore the prequel era a bit. I'd love him to meet an old clone who fought alongside Jedi, for example. The Clone Wars episodes when some of the clones learn prematurely about their own conditioning were great.

...ohgod, I'm writing fanfic, aren't I? I'll show myself out.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

meristem posted:

Yeah, it was a Sith tie-in, a pretty great one, at that.

I hope some of the Kanan-centric episodes explore the prequel era a bit. I'd love him to meet an old clone who fought alongside Jedi, for example. The Clone Wars episodes when some of the clones learn prematurely about their own conditioning were great.

...ohgod, I'm writing fanfic, aren't I? I'll show myself out.

Well, Kanan's backstory gets touched upon in the opening of the novel A New Dawn, which also explains about the signal that's supposed to bring all the Jedi back to the temple in case of an emergency, but of course in Revenge, Obi-Wan hooks up to do the opposite. But apparently, according to a friend of mine (runs a SW fanon wikia, has been to various press screenings and interviewed the cast), one of the later episode descriptions (something like episode 6, so some time to lay in a status quo) indicates it'll deal with Kanan's issues of having been a survivor of Order 66. Admittedly I wouldn't suspect a flashback or the like, but I wouldn't be surprised if certain elements cropped back up to bridge things. I mean, hell, we already got Luminara (though how or why still to be determined), so its not like the creators aren't willing to do so.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Astro Nut posted:

Well, Kanan's backstory gets touched upon in the opening of the novel A New Dawn, which also explains about the signal that's supposed to bring all the Jedi back to the temple in case of an emergency, but of course in Revenge, Obi-Wan hooks up to do the opposite. But apparently, according to a friend of mine (runs a SW fanon wikia, has been to various press screenings and interviewed the cast), one of the later episode descriptions (something like episode 6, so some time to lay in a status quo) indicates it'll deal with Kanan's issues of having been a survivor of Order 66. Admittedly I wouldn't suspect a flashback or the like, but I wouldn't be surprised if certain elements cropped back up to bridge things. I mean, hell, we already got Luminara (though how or why still to be determined), so its not like the creators aren't willing to do so.
Yeah, well, besides which, I don't really think that a storyline of 'Kanan meets old man, Kanan befriends old man, Kanan outs himself accidentally as a Jedi, old man wants to kill Kanan for reasons independent of himself, Kanan is forced to kill old man' would play too well with the show's target audience.

But one of the things I think The Clone Wars did extremely well was expand on that brief scene from Revenge to show that there was genuine and, interestingly, mutual respect between the Jedi and the clones. So, I wouldn't mind some examination of the fallout of 66 on the clone side. (A canonical one - I suppose it's been done in what's now non-canon.)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

meristem posted:

Yeah, well, besides which, I don't really think that a storyline of 'Kanan meets old man, Kanan befriends old man, Kanan outs himself accidentally as a Jedi, old man wants to kill Kanan for reasons independent of himself, Kanan is forced to kill old man' would play too well with the show's target audience.

But one of the things I think The Clone Wars did extremely well was expand on that brief scene from Revenge to show that there was genuine and, interestingly, mutual respect between the Jedi and the clones. So, I wouldn't mind some examination of the fallout of 66 on the clone side. (A canonical one - I suppose it's been done in what's now non-canon.)

That has been commented on in some part, funny enough, by Filoni in an interview. The clones are out of service now due to accelerated ageing, so they've possibly had time to look back and regret what they 'had' to do.

Also there's a new clip out that has the Inquisitor fighting Kanan again. Warning for possible spoilers though, since it looks like Luminara didn't actually survive the Purge.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bumping for a bit of news: Disney's already ordered a second season of Rebels. Speaks pretty well of the overall quality of the show (or at least the upcoming season) if they're jumping on this purely from how well the premiere is tracking among critics and early-watchers.

Astro Nut posted:

Also there's a new clip out that has the Inquisitor fighting Kanan again. Warning for possible spoilers though, since it looks like Luminara didn't actually survive the Purge.

Had a pretty great "Wait, where was Luminara in this? *rewatches video* ... :tviv:" moment there; pretty ballsy of them to go down that particular route (though not at all surprising, coming from a thematic viewpoint).

Already loving the Inquisitor, too. I'm definitely getting a Scorpius vibe from him, which is pretty much par for the course. :D

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jesus, that's dark.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Bumping for a bit of news: Disney's already ordered a second season of Rebels. Speaks pretty well of the overall quality of the show (or at least the upcoming season) if they're jumping on this purely from how well the premiere is tracking among critics and early-watchers.

That and the last they got a critically acclaimed show with decent ratings (Gravity Falls), they were kinda caught with their pants down, so it was literally a day under a year before a second season was ready to air. And considering how resources demanding this could be, they'd need things set early.

And re: the video, yeah, threw me by surprise once I realised it. I'm not sure if it'd be better or worse if the Inquisitor decided to gloat on how it happened. Dude appears big on talking to throw his opponents off, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

That and the last they got a critically acclaimed show with decent ratings (Gravity Falls), they were kinda caught with their pants down, so it was literally a day under a year before a second season was ready to air. And considering how resources demanding this could be, they'd need things set early.

True enough; on the downside of all of this, Greg Weisman is now officially no longer working on the show (it had been rumored for a while that he left shortly after finishing production on S1) and has been replaced with Henry Gilroy, a TCW veteran responsible for some of the stronger episodes of Season 1 as well as the upcoming episode "Rise of the Old Masters", from which the above clip originates.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Gilroy was solid on Clone Wars, but that's a bummer about Weisman nonetheless. Wonder why he left.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

What even is the context behind the Luminara ghost thing?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

mitochondritom posted:

What even is the context behind the Luminara ghost thing?

Think less 'ghost', more 'shrivelled husk of a corpse'.

Edit: and if you mean episode wise, an SDCC trailer had indicated that she was alive and being held at the Spire on Stygeon Prime. Looks like the recording may be a little out of date.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is it next week Episode 2 comes out, last week was just a special early showing of the pilot?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

Is it next week Episode 2 comes out, last week was just a special early showing of the pilot?

The series starts airing proper from next week, with special officially airing on Disney XD this Friday

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder if we'll get to see what happened to Ahsoka.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

The second episode will air on Monday the 13th.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

DancinBrud posted:

Ah, wait, yeah. Apologies for wrongly correlating the movie premiere with the actual series airdate.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DancinBrud posted:

I don't want to wait eleven days.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

Ah, wait, yeah. Apologies for wrongly correlating the movie premiere with the actual series airdate.
All this early access to the premiere only makes the wait tougher!

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder if we'll get to see what happened to Ahsoka.

I hope so. I liked her after they knocked the snips poo poo off.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It would be interesting to see a story arc of the Inquisitor going after Asohka and how Vader reacts.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bit of a reminder: If you weren't able to watch the premiere online, it's airing today at 6pm Pacific/9pm Eastern on Disney Channel. Also, as said earlier in the thread, regular 30-minute episodes start up next week; here's a new preview clip from one of them.

Nice to see some Clone Wars-era tech again, gives a good feeling that we'll see some characters from TCW get addressed. I agree with swickles, a flashback arc showcasing the Inquisitor hunting down Ashoka would do a good job of making him a genuine threat, though his Jedi-luring scheme with Luminara (I just love the implication that he keeps her around in the space basement for whenever gullible Jedi show up and try to "rescue" her) is pretty inspired.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Bit of a reminder: If you weren't able to watch the premiere online, it's airing today at 6pm Pacific/9pm Eastern on Disney Channel. Also, as said earlier in the thread, regular 30-minute episodes start up next week; here's a new preview clip from one of them.

Nice to see some Clone Wars-era tech again, gives a good feeling that we'll see some characters from TCW get addressed. I agree with swickles, a flashback arc showcasing the Inquisitor hunting down Ashoka would do a good job of making him a genuine threat, though his Jedi-luring scheme with Luminara (I just love the implication that he keeps her around in the space basement for whenever gullible Jedi show up and try to "rescue" her) is pretty inspired.

I think the suggestion was maybe more Ahsoka reappears as another false hope for Kanan not being alone, but yeah, both ideas are neat.

I actually discussed it with my friend, and it seems to be that they're building up the Inquisitor as a villain who tries to be intelligent, and certainly thinks of himself as being quite so. When he fights Kanan, he's utterly relaxed, as if going for a stroll in the park, whilst he casually comments on Kanan's style and (what he believes is) incompetence. When Kallus calls him, his tone is that kind of condescending compliment - 'You did well to call (I'm amazed you had it in you)'. And at one point he has a clear shot at Kanan's neck, but doesn't take it - probably wanting to show how 'easy' it would be. Its actually lends some weight to the notion he's not just some angry sith wannabe, and I really hope they don't screw it up by having him fail every other week.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Should have just flat out cast Wayne Pygram as the VA, imo. It's not like he hasn't been in Star Wars before.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

and I really hope they don't screw it up by having him fail every other week.

It's looking like they'll be subverting this by simply not having him show up much; for example, the episode that the duel clip comes from is the fifth one of the season, and going by the reactions there, it appears to be the first time the crew has run into him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

swickles posted:

It would be interesting to see a story arc of the Inquisitor going after Asohka and how Vader reacts.

Or Stephen Stanton.

• Locked thread