Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It was cool to see the evolution of the Imperial stuff from Clone Wars to the OT and this series. Like you could see how the equpiment in Clone Wars was made for war, for invading places, while this equipment (AT-ST for instance) seems more along the line of riot prevention and citizen control, which makes for a decidedly different tone.

edit: Also the only thing that really bothered me in the animation was hair, which had the fluidity of a Lego head piece. I get that getting hair to look right in CGI is one of the more difficult and intensive things, so I understand, I just think they should have designed some of the characters with that in mind.

swickles fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Clone Wars was awesome, especially the really dark last couple seasons.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Deakul posted:

Very cool first episode, not terribly crazy about the Jedi once again having a focus but I can deal with it if means more of this Post EP3-Pre EP4 stuff, I got downright giddy with the tie fighter and blaster sounds and seeing stormtroopers again. :allears:

I think the jedi focus won't be an issue. If anything it will be a completely different jedi focus. They are in hiding so won't flaunt their powers, unlike in the prequels and lots of CW episodes where it was like "ok imma just use the force on every motherfucker here" and you have one jedi taking out 9000 people.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Aces High posted:

I wonder how long ago Obi Wan actually distributed those holocrons since he looked pretty young, considering we're supposed to be about 5 years removed from A New Hope. At any rate I am looking forward to some hammy Jason Isaacs :)

I imagine it was immediatley after fighting with Vader, that was the first chance he could have conceivably done that. Doubt he waited a while to warn his jedi bros.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It would be interesting to see a story arc of the Inquisitor going after Asohka and how Vader reacts.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Well, in the Clone Wars some of the bad guys got arcs and were even portrayed sympathetically, namely Ventress's Night Witch arc. She even ends up helping Asohka and becoming a bounty hunter. So, I doubt they focus on some actual Imperials, but they might toss in some bounty hunters who flip allegiances frequently.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

This episode was fantastic. Everything about this show is just hitting all the right notes. I hope Hera gets to do more stuff than just sit in the ship and act motherly towards Ezra though.

Yeah, I agree. I am not too worried because its still really early in the series. I am sure she will get an episode soon to explain her motivations against the Empire. We haven't really seen any development of Sabine either other than she likes to paint and blow things up. We saw how Ezra came to be with the group, we know why Kanan is there, and it only took a few minutes to flesh Zeb out as an actual character.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

The plot armor seems a lot thick. I'm hoping they do more stuff like the unbeatable Inquisitor. Plus having some Clone Wars folks show up as dead is metal as gently caress. I'm hoping we get to see some Clone Troopers show up as Imperials. A few storm troopers with austrialian accents would be solid fan-service.

That and maybe a couple disillusioned clone troopers who are bitter towards the manipulation the Empire did to the clones who are sympathetic to the cause. They would be old as gently caress, but have some knowledge to drop.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DancinBrud posted:

Great interview! I'm guessing the question Filoni had for Lucas was "Would Ahsoka be able to sense that Vader is Anakin?"

I am sure most people know that Darth Vader is Anakin, the real question is what does she do about it?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Watching the episode now.

So Sabine actually is Mandalorian. I wonder if she is going to have relation to Satine, given the similarity of the names. Maybe her sisters kid, or what would be even crazier is a secret Obi Wan love child. Either way, I am glad to see some development of their characters.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I watched the newest one available for streaming:

Cool, the very first 2 parter (or more)! I liked giving Ezra some background story other than random orphan. Also always cool to see the classic stuff. I said it before, but I think this episode really drives the point home. In the Clone Wars all the ships, equipment, walkers, etc. were geared toward invading/defending planets and territories. Now all the stuff looks like its there for civil control, a feeling you definitely got in the bar scene and at the parade.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kingcom posted:

So does this thread turn into general star wars cartoon chat in off season? Cause I got around to watching a bunch of the clone wars and have no idea how people are finding the characters or stories remotely engaging. If its not a clone episode it tends to be either hilariously bad or a snoozefest. I feel I would be much happier if that stuff didn't find its way into rebels to be honest.

Pretty much anything where Anakin is the focus of the plot is meh at best. Clone episodes are great, bad guy episodes are great, hell even Ashoka focused episodes are pretty good. The only Obi Wan series arc I really liked was the one where he went undercover, and even then that was more of a bad guy episode.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kingcom posted:

Yeah all good, hard to tell from text. I still think the Clone Wars is in some sort of weird battle to try and make sense of the movies and do their own thing which seems to conflict pretty heavily. I don't really know who to blame for any of it but it still just ends up in a big mess. They really seem to just want to do character focused stuff with Ventress going off as a bounty hunter but then they undercut with 'oh by the way Darth Maul is alive'. Do Lucas have influence on the show? Seems like the show keeps pulling insane stuff out of left field and dumping plots just as they start get interesting. I was super excited to see Ventress going around the underworld of the republic without her lightsabers or any real connections to work on. Seems like it could have been used to tell some cool stories. Then they just drop it.

The plotline or idea wasn't so much dropped as much as it appeared at the end of the 2nd to last season, and then we had a Netflix only release of the final season with some pretty important plotlines that needed to be done. I imagine if season 6 wasn't the last, we would have had an arc with her in it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I agree that the concept of a manufactured army is dark and depressing, but that's exactly why I preferred the mindless pre-TCW clones: they were pretty much the Republic equivalent of the Separatist drones in that they were a) mindless b) manufactured for a single purpose and c) looked the same. This was a subtle but powerful representation of the fact that at the end of the day, the Republic was no better than the Separatists, and that they were basically two sides of the same coin. This was lost when TCW humanized the clones, imo.

I would have instead explored the Jedi Order in much greater detail, and focused on its less orthodox sects, sub-cultures, weapons, martial styles, etc. Surely an order that is thousands of years old has some interesting stuff going on underneath the surface of Obi-wan/Anakin/Ahsoka hacking and slashing their way through drones.

I actually think that point was emphasized when they humanized the clones. Instead of mindless, soulless machine, the Republic literally created life for the sole purpose of fighting a war. Clones are essentially treated no better than droids by the brass when it comes to planning and strategy. Its really only a few jedi who seem to actually give a poo poo about them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Can we please get a .gif of Chopper going full "THIS IS SPARTA LOTHAL"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, this episode is what I want the show to be. This plus the Lando episode give me way too high hopes for Season 2.

My biggest problem so far is that the group is so small that I can't take them seriously as a threat to the Empire. They're just TOO scrappy. I guess that's the point, but I hope Season 2 speeds it up a little so we have a larger cast of characters to work with and we can actually see the Alliance starting to form piece-by-piece. If that stuff doesn't happen until next season it'll start feeling like it's just spinning its wheels.

It is starting off small, but everything they do really shows how a insurgent group should operate. Identities are kept secret with codenames during operations, compartmentalization of knowledge so information can't be extracted, and the overall size is perfect. A cell that size on every planet is a pretty big resistance at first. Plus, the whole idea is to bring out as many people as possible, which this last episode likely did in terms of sparking a rebellion.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I liked the planet in the first or second season of Clone Wars that looked a lot like Lothal, except for a few giant rear end trees here and there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

When did George Takei show up?

He was the guy testing the defoliator weapon that killed anything organic but left droids alive.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It would be cool if Star Wars took a lesson from what Marvel is doing with Agent Carter and animated or live shot a mini-series. If it was live shot, do like 8 episodes on ABC and that poo poo would be ratings gold as long as someone competent was behind it. Then you could tell a really good story with some of more fleshed out EU characters and start to establish the new canon. Show some of the other separatist cells and how they operate.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

Isn't Agent Carter not ratings gold though? Which is weird cause right now Marvel is bigger than Star Wars.

Is it really though? I mean, its hard to compare, but I was thinking that Star Wars as a whole is bigger than Marvel, at least with the Avengers core of movies.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Isn't Freddie Prinze Jr. really sick? That could be them writing him off the show if he doesn't want to continue.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I forget, why did Bariss go all nuts again?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ventress would make a good Inquisitor 2.0. At first I thought that she would never work with Palpatine, because he ordered Dooku to kill her, but then I remembered that she wouldn't know that. She may have pieced it together after the whole Palpatine reveal though. There are a few characters from Clone Wars that I would like to see pop up, either for the Empire or the Rebels. Hondo and Cad Bane were both great characters that could work in this universe.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kingcom posted:

Yea Ventress wanting to go and serve someone seems to make zero sense for the character, that would be so far out of place your essentially using a completely new character.

She is a bounty hunter now, so if they said we will give a bazillion space dollars to go take out this rebel cell, she would do it. She has no loyalty, and her only real goal is to gently caress over the people who killed her people and tried to take her out, most of whom she believes to be dead.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kingcom posted:

She was a bounty hunter for all of 1 episode. The second time it happened she ended up helping Ahsoka try and clear her name. I don't really think shes as much of a 1 dimensional character as you seem to imply. Definitely not an inquisitor 2.0

Thats kind of my point, she isn't one dimensional and basically goes where her whims and money take her. If it was something she wanted to do, she would do it. There is no reason to think she wouldn't take it, but you could easily write in some motivation other than money for her to do so.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kingcom posted:

My understanding was that I was one of the few people who didn't like Ahsoka.

Depends on how much CW you watched. If you only watched the first few episodes or even the first season, you probably dont like her. She got better as the show went on.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thwomp posted:

This actually gets me to a weird place the prequels left me wondering: Anakin Skywalker was this famous Jedi during the Clone Wars (along with his Master Obi-Wan). They rescue the loving Chancellor of the Republic during an attack on the capitol itself. He appeared before Senators and enjoyed his time in the spotlight (according the Obi-Wan, anyway).

But then no one ever really asks whatever happened to that seriously cool Jedi dude Skywalker? Did they all assume every Jedi was killed during the purge? Except this seriously stone cold dude named Vader who is like a personally assistant to the Emperor or something.

This also leads to the follow up question: who in the alliance wasn't like "you're a Skywalker? like related to the guy from the clone wars who was a famous Jedi?" when Luke came in and signed up?

I guess it just comes back to not many people in the galaxy ever encountered an actual Jedi. They heard stories but they weren't ever a real and persistent presence in everyday life. Even less so once the Empire purged them all and they passed into history/legend/myth.

Yeah, its not like Jedi were rock stars. By nature, they were quiet, mostly anonymous, and really only personally known by the people they interacted with routinely. Almost everyone who knew him were either other Jedi (dead or in hiding) or Clone Troopers (soon to be dead due to advanced aging). Organa is still around and kicking, but most people probably assumed he died in the purge. Palpatine seems to be able to find replacement badasses pretty easily (Dooku, Maul, Ventress) so most people probably just assume he is some random baddass. Also, Skywalker could be like Smith in that galaxy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I hope we get an Asohka/Vader fight where Vader is just dicking around the whole time trying to get Asohka to join the dark side and become his apprentice.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Me watching that trailer: "What the hell? Why does that one old guy look just like those other two old gu....OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

In my defense, I never had any interest in watching Clone Wars. But now that Star Wars Mania is starting to build, I'll probably use that list that was posted in this thread to watch all of the watchable episodes over the course of the summer.

There are only a handful of unwatchable episodes and you are warned pretty clearly by having the term "Jar Jar" in the episode description.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Could it be Cody?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

While I loved the trailers and the show, is anyone else bothered by the lightsaber animations? They are just so thin its off-putting. I showed a friend the season 2 trailer and his first response was "whats up with those lightsabers?"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kingcom posted:

As has been said a lot. The clone stuff is the best part of the show.

Followed closely by the bounty hunter/pirate arcs.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Saturniid19 posted:

I think murder and torture are pretty evil.

Pretty sure blowing up whole loving planet as a "gently caress you" to your daughter counts as evil.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

cargohills posted:

Vader murders people constantly and takes part in an oppressive regime. What more evil can he do?

Need more shots of him kicking puppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Ugh. I just tried watching Clone Wars again after getting some more distance from the prequels.

God dammit this show is great.

Is there a handy guide for all the kiddy/silly episodes, or the bottom rung ones to skip? I just remember from my first time around thinking that when it got bad it was real bad, but that was all in season 1 when Ashoka was unbearable.

Anything with Jar Jar in the description just skip over. Other than that, there are only 2-3 other truly bad episodes.

• Locked thread