Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
While Kevin Kiner was scoring The Clone Wars, I kept wishing for him to use more John Williams music. Now that he's done that, I almost wish he'd dial it down again a little. Callbacks to the score are nice for the action sequences, and you pretty much need the Force theme for Jedi stuff, but it was a bit disturbing to hear Han & Leia's love theme when the little Wookiee is reunited with his father.

All in all, I was really impressed with the whole thing though. It felt like a classic West End Games role playing scenario.

All the niggles I have are really really minor points:
- Could they make up their minds whether to call the planet LOW-thal or Lo-THAHL?
- Is Jabba the Hutt really that well known that a street kid on another planet can just name-drop him?
- Kallus... sigh... here we go again with the stupid names in the vein of Plagueis, Savage Opress and Grievous.

To balance it out, some favourite moments:
- Kanan dodging laser blasts in slow motion
- Zeb as the "rare hairless Wookiee"
- The name "Tarkintown".
- The Wookiees actually weren't Chewbacca, Tarfful, Gungi, Lumpy, Mala or anyone we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I refuse to take seriously this complaint about a franchise that includes a loner character named Han Solo.

Touché.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah, it makes me wonder if they're gonna use any of the other silly little Kenner vehicles over the course of the series. (They probably will :allears:)

Jesus, I had like three of those, but had no idea there were so many of them.

The Clone Wars had my favorite nod to an old Kenner toy:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

TOILETLORD posted:

Is cad bane dead cannocally?

No. Neither is Hondo Ohnaka. I'd love to see both make an appearance at some point.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Huh. Ventress has hair. I always believed her species was just naturally bald.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
When they met the other ship, my first thought was "The top half looks a bit like Jabba's sail barge. Cool, it's a Hutt ship! I wonder what the Hutts look like in this show..."

Then the ship's owner shows up and it's even better:

They used an old Ralph McQuarrie design he originally did as concept art for Jabba. Also, as a bonus, the guy is voiced by James Hong. Nice.

(sorry for big, timg doesn't seem to work with the spoiler tag)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
The more I watch the show, the more I get the feeling they desperately need to upgrade Kanan's (and to a lesser extent Ezra's) facial model for season two. Zeb and Hera especially are so expressive, and the Lando design in the latest episode just hammered home the fact that Kanan's face looks like a featureless wax mask.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Was it not the same type (or the actual ship possibly) as Lando's Lady Luck?

Definitely not the same type. Even though the general shape is similar, I still feel the Sail Barge vibe.

Though not as much as the Hutt ship in the new Marvel comic, which takes a far less visually subtle route.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 16, 2015

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

swickles posted:

It is starting off small, but everything they do really shows how a insurgent group should operate. Identities are kept secret with codenames during operations,

A bit late to the party, I know, but I noticed that Kanan called Hera "Hera" in front of the Imperials during his last plea for her to take off. I wonder if anything will come of that.

Also a bit odd: The two officers report "no casualties". Tarkin talks about the rebel cell being "uninterested in violence".
Have I not seen the gang murdering stormtroopers left and right all the time? Or maybe they mean that the rebels' missions always seem to have other goals (i.e. stealing supplies in this case) than just random acts of terrorism, and that there were no civilian casualties. Still, it's all a bit strangely worded.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Thwomp posted:

This also leads to the follow up question: who in the alliance wasn't like "you're a Skywalker? like related to the guy from the clone wars who was a famous Jedi?" when Luke came in and signed up?

I guess it just comes back to not many people in the galaxy ever encountered an actual Jedi. They heard stories but they weren't ever a real and persistent presence in everyday life. Even less so once the Empire purged them all and they passed into history/legend/myth.

As much as I like the ROTS novelization, it makes the really silly claim that Skywalker and Kenobi's names are broadcast all over the holonet as heroes of the Republic, going so far that you'd even regularly find kids in the playground playing "Anakin and Obi-Wan".

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

Footnotes, all in spoilers:
  • Filoni planned to have a scout of the YUUZHAN VONG show up, assessing the capabilities of the Jedi. Needless to say, poo poo.

Fixed that for ya.

As for the rest, drat. That would have been such a sweet season.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

What? She's a padawan, there's nothing weird or special about their relationship, they're jedi. Ahsoka's great because she's a super positive female role model, and in the end she turns out to be the smartest, and pretty much most capable character on the show. There's legitimate, earned development there.

In a franchise that has only two female protagonists (one of which dies of a broken heart), the importance of another strong female character cannot be underestimated.
Also, Ashley Eckstein, the woman who voices Ahsoka, is a total überfan who started her own line of Star Wars themed clothes for women because she was tired of having to wear boys' clothes when she wanted to wear something SW related. Her stuff is selling pretty well from what I heard. She's become kind of an ambassador for female SW fandom over the years.

That said, hearing "Skyguy" and "Artooie" is still annoying as hell, and thankfully the writers dropped that pretty soon. I also love the scene (during the Mortis trilogy, I think) where Ahsoka snaps and yells at Anakin to finally stop calling her "Snips".

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Lady Gagazula posted:

I finally got caught up with the rest of the season and all I have to say about the Fulcrum reveal is :swoon:

If that made you happy, go watch the trailer for season two. More old friends popping up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av8GjpGK98A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

tsob posted:

There's a season recap thing? Does it reveal any other new info? Also, suck it people who called me goony for thinking their behavior indicated they might be a couple I guess.

Do a YouTube search for "star wars rebels ultimate guide" (and good luck finding one that hasn't been cropped all to hell).

• Locked thread