Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The Sin of Onan posted:

I've never read a single EU book in my life. What's this about bug orgies?

You should read the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn, it's really good. I'm also partial to the Hand of Thrawn duology, by the same author.

Most of the EU however is, by and large, terrible. See: bug orgies. (Which series was that anyways? Post 2000 I gave up and only read the plot summaries, and those after a while tend to blur together in one's mind.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

meristem posted:

No, don't. Here's a shorthand of the main features of the Thrawn trilogy: silly vowel-clones of everyone everywhere, Force-resistant lizards and a blue-skinned Mary Sue Sherlock wannabe.

Even to my teenage brain, there was nothing that said 'wasn't paying attention to the source material' like Force-resistant lizards.

Counterpoints (including spoilers): in the three books the "silly vowel-clones of everyone everywhere" are a grand total of two, of which only one has any plot significance whatsoever; Force-resistance had already been established as A Thing in Episode VI with Jabba; and the Mary Sue is so perfect he gets defeated several times and eventually shanked in the back because he makes several critical miscalculations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

And of course last episode showed Kallus as an accessory to at least one genocide; even off-screen that's pretty dark for "kid's TV" to put it mildly.

Not accessory, he was the one who gave the order to shoot Zeb's people. So he's full-on guilty.

Speaking of which, the one thing I really don't like so far is Kallus' characterization. I would have liked him more as an Inspector Javert sort of character, not that bad himself but relentlessly chasing the heroes because from his point of view it's the right thing to do. Instead he went full evil, starting with kicking a stormtrooper to his death as retribution for a quip in the first episode and continuing with being responsible for a genocide and enjoying toying with a survivor's feelings.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Just watched Empire Day, and I'm impressed on how ruthless the heroes are for a kid show. They're shown killing enemies multiple times, and then Zeb spots Kallus and gets a bead on him. I'd expected Kanan to go all Jedi and stop him from shooting, but instead he says basically "The Inquisitor's more important than Kallus, ice him instead". drat, son.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I love how this is just EU as gently caress

This annoys me a little bit. I was fine with Disney declaring the EU non-canon, especially because it was, by and large, terrible (with a couple of exceptions). But now they are doing the exact same thing the EU was doing...

• Locked thread