Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

My personal favorite is the description of the Battle of Five Armies from the Orc perspective:
"Once again those filthy humans sided with the Dwarves who had help from the those sanctimonious bastards the Elves who were rescued by - and I am not making this up - the damned giant Eagles to slaughter thousands of our brethren in what we should all be calling the battle to unfairly gang up on the Orcs."

:laffo: that's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Gonna pick this up, even though I loving hate Lord of the Rings.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the game looks pretty drat good imo

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

slev posted:

You can get this on GMG for $37.50 using this code:

SEPTEM-BEROFF-ER25XX

Thanks for this.

I have both a PC and a PS4, I'm torn on which platform to get this on. Wonder how good a port it is. Seems like they're using PS4 for all the promotional content so I imagine it was console first.

This deal is pretty good though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
poo poo, the deal makes me want to get it for PC. My PC is kinda old though, with an older Gen i7 (Pretty sure it is a 920). I do have a GTX 560ti at least.

I was hoping to get it on PS4, but if my computer could run it I would get on that deal. I mean, I got Wolfenstein on the PC and it was fine, but any large scale battle has it tank. I do not want to repeat that experience.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 27, 2014

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
Yea I'm wondering how it will run on my computer as well. I've got 2x GTX 460 in SLI with an i5 760 (~4 years old).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ImpAtom posted:

My personal favorite is the description of the Battle of Five Armies from the Orc perspective:
"Once again those filthy humans sided with the Dwarves who had help from the those sanctimonious bastards the Elves who were rescued by - and I am not making this up - the damned giant Eagles to slaughter thousands of our brethren in what we should all be calling the battle to unfairly gang up on the Orcs."

Ahahaha, orcish :qq:. That loving rules.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
They've really gone all in on turning the orcs into Warhammer Orcs, haven't they?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Yeah, it's kinda great and makes me want another Warhammer game. The last one was great until it became waves of Chaos jackasses spewing plasma around, I just want to chop orcs :(

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

the game looks pretty drat good imo

Im insanely tempted to pick this game up. But I've been burned on full retail so many times. I want to make sure there is some depth to this game before diving in. But it do be lookin good yo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unlucky7 posted:

poo poo, the deal makes me want to get it for PC. My PC is kinda old though, with an older Gen i7 (Pretty sure it is a 920). I do have a GTX 560ti at least.

I was hoping to get it on PS4, but if my computer could run it I would get on that deal. I mean, I got Wolfenstein on the PC and it was fine, but any large scale battle has it tank. I do not want to repeat that experience.

Sounds like you have almost exactly the same set up as me, I'm going for PS4 since I'm thinking the framerate is going to be all over the place at PS4 equivalent detail levels.

Stupendous Man
Jan 10, 2008
Defender of Freedom! Advocate of Liberty!
Pre-Load is up for anyone who pre-purchased it on Steam. The install is 33.9 gigs. :monocle:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man I can't wait to read more Orcish :qq: accounts of stuff we know from the books. :allears:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress... I've jumped onto the hype train. I want it. :negative:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I want it...but I'm gonna wait. Either until it's $20 on Steam or until the reviews confirm that it's absolutely amazing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Stupendous Man posted:

Pre-Load is up for anyone who pre-purchased it on Steam. The install is 33.9 gigs. :monocle:
It's times like these I regret not buying a physical copy because that's about one solid day of downloading for me. :sigh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phylodox posted:

I want it...but I'm gonna wait. Either until it's $20 on Steam or until the reviews confirm that it's absolutely amazing.

Hey, hey you, check the bottom half of the OP.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Orv posted:

Hey, hey you, check the bottom half of the OP.

Yeah, I know, but I mean more layman reviews. A combination of friends and youse guys in here, really.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man I can't wait to read more Orcish :qq: accounts of stuff we know from the books. :allears:

Maybe I'm the :qq: academic fey latté guy but this game has a chance to give depth and sympathetic angles to orcs as people and characters that's lacking from all of Tolkien's source material. It can read as comedic, but the concept of an entire race of sentient beings that utterly hate the person they're bound to serve, and live in constant fear and violence, is kind of tragic and fascinating

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
The cockney orcs are almost making me like them too much.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I only found out this game existed today but now I'm excited as all poo poo and really glad I have all next week off from work :cool:

Edit: Talion is Troy Baker? gently caress yes!

21 Hoot Salute fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 27, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Cometa Rossa posted:

The cockney orcs are almost making me like them too much.

I'm beginning to wonder... are the orcs cockney, or are cockneys orc?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nitevision posted:

Maybe I'm the :qq: academic fey latté guy but this game has a chance to give depth and sympathetic angles to orcs as people and characters that's lacking from all of Tolkien's source material. It can read as comedic, but the concept of an entire race of sentient beings that utterly hate the person they're bound to serve, and live in constant fear and violence, is kind of tragic and fascinating

One reviewer mentioned being uncomfortable with the idea of essentially forcing orc society into servitude under a new master (Talion). I wonder if they'll go anywhere with that in the story (probably not).

Also yes, at this point cockney is the only appropriate orc mode of speech, thanks WH, WH40K, and now LotR :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They're not cockney in Blizzard!

...they're Yoda there.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I can't remember the last time a game came from out of nowhere like this. I hadn't heard anything about this until a couple of days ago.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I can't remember the last time a game came from out of nowhere like this. I hadn't heard anything about this until a couple of days ago.

The reaction to the initial announcement was tons of scorn (seriously, look at the early pages of the first thread). Then the game went completely under the radar until Monolith launched a marketing blitz in the last few weeks. Now that people have seen the game and the Nemesis system outside carefully scripted trailers, opinion has taken a full 180.

I would honestly kind of prefer if more games stayed quiet about what they were packing until they had actually completed enough of the game to show off the cool bits.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

1stGear posted:

The reaction to the initial announcement was tons of scorn (seriously, look at the early pages of the first thread). Then the game went completely under the radar until Monolith launched a marketing blitz in the last few weeks. Now that people have seen the game and the Nemesis system outside carefully scripted trailers, opinion has taken a full 180.

I would honestly kind of prefer if more games stayed quiet about what they were packing until they had actually completed enough of the game to show off the cool bits.

I had completely ignored it due to the IP. But yeah, it's an awesome surprise to not have an exciting game launching in 4 days.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speedball posted:

They're not cockney in Blizzard!

...they're Yoda there.

And blizzard orcs are boring, Quod Erat Demonstrorkum :orks:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Quod Erat Demonstrorkum :orks:

The puns in this thread. Good lord. But I like 'em.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

Comrade Flynn posted:

I reread the entire LoTR trilogy this summer and then on a whim I checked Games, and lo and behold, out of nowhere there was the Best Game Ever. Best possible outcome to keep my Middle-earth steam going.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

And blizzard orcs are boring, Quod Erat Demonstrorkum :orks:

And you were in askance at my use of puns, guddam.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orv posted:

And you were in askance at my use of puns, guddam.

Yeah once I remembered how much I loved that pun (think Beer4TheBeerGod came up with it) I knew I was gonna get called out as a hypocrite :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Orcs being cockney is just kind of a THING now, like how dwarves became Scottish (shouldn't they have been Germanic or Norwegian??)

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help
Tolkien in his letters characterized his dwarves as most resembling Jewish enclaves, and Hebrew allegedly influenced the morphology of Khuzdul, their language :jewish:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Nitevision posted:

Tolkien in his letters characterized his dwarves as most resembling Jewish enclaves, and Hebrew allegedly influenced the morphology of Khuzdul, their language :jewish:

Really... the society ruined by their greed and love of gold... are Jewish. Good stuff.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Comrade Flynn posted:

They showed the cool features off earlier this year at something (E3 was it? I can't keep track of all the promotion things anymore) but I've had high hopes since then. Looks like it's going to pan out. Monolith makes a really kick rear end game every so often.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Skandranon posted:

Really... the society ruined by their greed and love of gold... are Jewish. Good stuff.

He was a turn of the 20th century Englishman, it's astonishing the entire thing isn't just one secret racist tirade.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

He was a turn of the 20th century Englishman, it's astonishing the entire thing isn't just one secret racist tirade.

Maybe it is?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Tolkien called Hitler a "ruddy little ignoramus" so he's cool in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

Skandranon posted:

To be fair, they're also proud, staunch, loyal, and can fight like hell.

Further, though, here's John Ronald Reuel on orcs:

Wikipedia posted:

they are (or were) squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes; in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types.

:can:

Oh well. Ponder for a moment that the source material can seem racially problematic, then get on with the slaying and ghostly mind control

• Locked thread