Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh right I was gonna say:

thespaceinvader posted:

Our group's never really managed to figure out what Tovak's focus is supposed to be.

Tovak's focus is generally versatility, with a side order of 'gently caress mana source, play cards sideways'. I Don't Give A drat is huge, turning one sideways card each turn into a +2 or +3 if it's advanced. Who Needs Magic does the same thing as long as you don't use mana, and having both at once gives you a ton of options. Shield Mastery is also pretty huge - 3 Block every single turn can completely no-sell some nastier monsters and makes everything easier to deal with. And I Feel No Pain nets you a free bit of resting every single turn, making you that much faster if you do get hit.

Norowas is typified by Bonds of Loyalty, which is hands down his best skill, but having two crystal generating skills is notable, and +3 Influence is a pretty big whack per turn. Inspiration's also great, the ability to Ready a unit once per round can really help in taking stuff over. In the end, he is hands down The Troop User.

Arythea is intended to use a ton of mana, geared towards red and white. She shines with Dark Fire Magic, one of very few ways to generate black mana in the game, and Polarization, which completely destroys mana source woes. Invocation and Power of Pain let her put her wounds to work, but I'm not really a fan - a decent Arythea build should probably be going ranged or throwing around enough spells you don't care about wounds.

Goldyx also loves mana, but more blue and green. He has three crystal-generating skills, which is pretty bonkers, and it's kind of a shame that they're all blue because they'll quickly get redundant fast. Lots of free mana there, though. Flight is great, especially once you get to core tiles, and Universal Power lets you play a bit of mana to get a sideways card at +3 or +4.

Expansion dudes: Krang's powers are mostly rechargable, allowing him to recover them later in the round if he does something, with one of his standout tokens involving taking defeated enemies and using them as weapons later in the game. Wolfhawk is all about running around solo and ranged attacks: notably she gets to ignore one ability or element on a monster's token, and one card played sideways gets her +4, +1 per unassigned unit token. I think, anyways. Compared to the base game, the symbology on their skills is kind of a mess, and it's really hard to remember what they do at a glance. I've never actively played as them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Did you go from 4 wounds in your deck to 1 in a couple of turns? I'm always afraid of taking wounds unless I can remove them on the same turn, which sometimes ends up biting me in the rear end.

Yes, and I'm not even playing one of the characters that specializes in dealing well with wounds. Wounds are not your enemy, time is. It's almost always better to do something that you can do, rather than wait for an optimal way to do it. (Mana generation, Goldyx's specialty, guarantees that there will be more opportunities to do this.)

Of course, I am in the back half of the pack right now - I'd be in a far better place if I had taken Rethink instead of Manadraw in order to cycle in another move action into my first hand, rather than spend a Rage sideways to get to thee goblins.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Does the game walkthrough talk about the rest action at all? Until I read through the rule book and saw that resting was an option i used to be deathly afraid of any kind of wound meaning I'd never attack anything until I had a hand full of attack and block cards, meaning I'd never get to do anything.

I love this game, but I hate how the rules are structured between 2 books.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Does the game walkthrough talk about the rest action at all? Until I read through the rule book and saw that resting was an option i used to be deathly afraid of any kind of wound meaning I'd never attack anything until I had a hand full of attack and block cards, meaning I'd never get to do anything.

I think it does, yeah. I am constantly reading the reference material because this is actually my second game

(earlier I was using a monster reference that included the expansion guys and might have not gone into the dungeon because of some of those dudes.)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It does, but only (of course) in the very first description of player turns, where it tells you to ignore the passage because it is unlikely you'll need to rest in your first few turns.

Also cool Istvun! This is my first MK game with more than 2 players.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I just bought lost legions and Krang. Did I do good or bad? Are the new characters any good at all?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Wolfhawk is somewhat below the curve--her gimmick (fighting without units) just doesn't stand up, given how good units are in this game. Krang, on the other hand, is my personal favorite character. Arcane Disguise is possibly my favorite skill in the game, and Ritual Chanting(?) lets you glean some benefit out of those "move into position" turns.

And even discounting Wolfhawk, the Lost Legion expansion is great. The new units/enemies/actions/etc are all interesting, and the Volkaire scenario is a strict improvement on the co-op game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Since we're telling. This is my second Full Conquest game! And my only one with 4 players!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The units are in fact daunting as hell at first glance, it's great. Hope you like Arcane Resistance or Assassin.

Update coming up.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

And even discounting Wolfhawk, the Lost Legion expansion is great. The new units/enemies/actions/etc are all interesting, and the Volkaire scenario is a strict improvement on the co-op game.

Oh, right.

The best part about the expansion are the extra unique cards the characters get. It really helps make them stand out. (Also, Mana Pull is some bullshit.)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Impermanent posted:

I just bought lost legions and Krang. Did I do good or bad? Are the new characters any good at all?

The Lost Legion is a great expansion, Volkare adds so much to the game and makes it feel a completely new experience. The expansion gives you an adversary that looks incredibly powerful at the start of the game (and is a challenge at the end, too), and a much more credible threat than a dummy player.

More cards/tokens are just icing on the cake.

Regarding Wolfhawk, I think she shines in competitive games. I'd say that her gimmick is more speed than running without units (that too). You can dart throught the board and have a wider choice of options than the other players, and because you're ignoring units you focus in other stuff. I'd say only one or two of her abilities are bad.

I haven't got Krang, so no idea there.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Stelas posted:

The absolute scariest I've managed to pull off

While playing Solo mode during my lunch break today, I got to find out how silly things get if you're lucky enough to get Learning, Training, and Spell Talent in the first round. It was a massacre.

Goldyx's Turn

Arythea levels and gets a Command Token. Her monster den reward are a White and Green crystal.
Norowas' turn nets Diplomacy via Illusionists. (i.e. not the 'Unless' branch)

I can't believe you fuckers haven't rolled a single depleted die. And someone went into a monastery and it's still standing, what's up with that?

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 2 hand, 0 deck.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 2 hand, 0 deck.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 7 hand, 0 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 0 hand, 0 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame/Reputation Track | City Listing

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You guys, there's no point to having all these green crystals when you roll greens in the source. I play March powered with green source mana and sit on the NE dungeon as a dragon.
I end my turn.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Impermanent posted:

Lost Legion makes the game whole (literally, at least according to rumours that say it was meant to be part of the base game but Wizkids correctly identified Vlaada as a complete nutter and demanded he cut the game down a bit). So it's pretty much a must-buy for all the fun stuff it adds.

…at least until you come across the double-summon, magic-immune dragon. :argh:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

And someone went into a monastery and it's still standing, what's up with that?

Well, yes. It was literally the one character who sometimes has more to gain from leaving the place standing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tovak's Turn

Goldyx (Impermanent) - 1 hand, 0 deck.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 7 hand, 0 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 0 hand, 0 deck.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Gotta go fast!

I take the Gold Mana from The Source and use it to Power up Improvisation by discarding Rage for 5 movement then March for 2 Move, followed by playing Cold Toughness,Blood Rage,and Crystalize sideways for 3 more Move and i stop at the space SE of the Monastery.

edit:I end my turn and no end of round, my bad :(

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 29, 2014

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I end my turn and

:frogsiren:DECLARE END OF ROUND:frogsiren:

No, you don't. You have to skip your turn to end the round.

Not that End of Round isn't coming here soon.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Also, Arythea is forced to end the round, and Norowas passes, so it's down to Goldyx and Tovak.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I, EDIT: WILL MAKE A BLUE CRYSTAL then end my turn. This dungeon is quite comfortable. It's sort of home-y.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 29, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, calling End of Round is a full-turn action. But either way, it's going to happen - right now, in fact.

Norowas's Turn

Arythea is forced to declare End of Round!

Goldyx (Impermanent) - 1 hand, 0 deck.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 1 hand, 0 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 0 hand, 0 deck. End of Round Called!

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
It is time.

e: Also norowas, burn that monastery.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Don't listen to them, Norowas. It might be a... good idea to leave the monastery alive.

They're delicious :smaug:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
then what am i doing with all of these torches?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Everyone else passes, and the round ends.

This is where I get to find out if that Tovak bug is gonna bite me in the rear end. While I'm looking into it - the contents of your decks as a whole are technically-sorta public knowledge, and I don't know if people might need a refresher on what's in there between rounds as they start to get longer. What to people think as to a recap post between rounds?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Leave them for me, i will make it happen.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
In all seriousness, it would be great if you two with the swords would stop crowding around me.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I wouldn't mind a little recapping from the host - it will help the PbP to read better anyway, and I like to think that we're doing a public service. (BUY MAGE KNIGHT.)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Like a written recap of everything that we did? Sounds cool to me, with so many pictures and maybe (just maybe!) there is sombody here who has no idea what's going on since we don't have physical cards to throw down it would be good to have.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Istvun posted:

e: Also norowas, burn that monastery.

Shush, you. I am busy buying all of their mans.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

By PM, Impermanent remembers to activate White Crystal Craft rather than passing outright. All that mana nearly went to waste! (His screenshot in the upcoming post will be a little wrong because of that.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 1 END

Night falls on the first day. There are five rounds left.

Movement History

Arythea - 17 cards in deck

New Units: Guardian Golems
New Cards: Training, Steady Tempo
New Skills: Dark Fire Magic
Thrown Away: Crystallize

A strong first round, and a lucky one. Golems are a steal - they're useful throughout the game for their range of blocks and physical resistance. Dark Fire Magic is great, Training is great, and arguably better than Learning because it keeps your deck smaller and thus more efficient. Steady Tempo... is not really my thing? There are better movement abilities that don't fill your deck back up, as far as I'm concerned. Crystallize is probably the best card to toss once you have some crystal generation, but I'd still be a little wary of tossing it quite so early.

Goldyx - 18 cards in deck

New Units: Herbalists
New Cards: Crushing Bolt
New Skills: White Crystal Craft

Goldyx nearly forgot to use his crystal generator this round. Tut-tut! More crystals are always helpful, and the crystal skills are a staple for the heroes that have them. Herbalists are okay for the amount you pay for them, but 3 influence automatically counts as scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to troops. Crushing Bolt is awesome, and a cornerstone of your standard Siege/Ranged deck. Now all Goldyx needs is Concentrate, Crushing Bolt, and a particularly squishy Mage Tower or Dungeon enemy, and off he goes.

Norowas - 19 cards in deck

New Units: Foresters, Illusionists
New Cards: Learning, Diplomacy
New Skills: Bonds of Loyalty

Norowas might not be in the lead in terms of the numbers, but this is kind of a staggering start as far as I can make out. Bonds of Loyalty is a great first pick, and while it might seem a weak unit to put in there, Illusionists opens a whole ton of options up to Norowas, and makes him seriously dangerous. All he needs is a white mana and any unfortified enemy - including Monastery defenders and Dungeon inhabitants - suddenly becomes a useless punching bag. Diplomacy dovetails perfectly with Norowas' style, and Learning is always a good option.

Tovak - 18 cards in deck

New Units: Peasants
New Cards: Blood Rage
New Skills: Shield Mastery

Nothing to sniff at here - getting a keep or two is going to be very important later on, when it becomes desirable to park your backside on one and build up cards for a major city takedown. Blood Rage seems a strong pick for Tovak as far as I'm concerned, especially a Tovak that has picked up Shield Mastery - he doesn't particularly care about a wound here or there, especially not when it lets him generate a staggering amount of attack to simply beat things down. I would personally have gone south from the village, rather than turn northwards - this is an open map, remember, allowing five tiles across rather than the wedge - but moving forward and not getting left behind is also important.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I was thinking about going south and possibly taking on the Mage Tower. But with the terrain there it didn't seem like a good idea to use the movement and then possibly see it was something i couldn't take and have to turn my rear end back around across that 4 movement cost all the while i was gonna get left behind.

There will be other towers, Tovak will have his moment

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 2 BEGINS. It is nighttime.

So, I've just realised that the module uses a transparent overlay that doesn't get displayed in screenshots - that's why the tiles at the sides of the current map (N of Arythea, and SE of Tovak's Keep) aren't highlighted as being valid explore spaces. I'm almost tempted to offer a mulligan to Tovak's move in light of that, but unless it's a truly major problem, let's just keep going. (With four players, the full width you can explore is five, like so.)

Fortunately, it also means you miss out on the map being dark as poo poo at nighttime.

Hahaha, look at that source.

Hands are updated, as is the offer.

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 14 deck.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 5 hand, 13 deck.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 5 hand, 13 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 5 hand, 12 deck.

Players, please pick Tactics. Tovak picks first, then Goldyx, then Norowas, then Arythea.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 29, 2014

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Can we get an image with the night tactics cards? I don't have them all committed to memory.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Errr... yes. Once I remember to actually upload the night map screenshot I took. Edited.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm almost tempted to take that mulligan since the more i think about the more i want that mage tower because these new spells are good! Choices...

Anyway i'll take Midnight Meditation

Gutter Owl posted:

Can we get an image with the night tactics cards? I don't have them all committed to memory.

haha this, i took my own cards out to pick which one i wanted

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Also, we need a new Advanced Action in the Monastery Offer.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Preparation Taking Will Power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Wow, look at Arythea go. That was a great first round.

Norowas has 3 skills that can generate white mana, so those Illusionists can be very useful in case of, let's say, dragons.

• Locked thread