Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Fat Samurai posted:

Wow, look at Arythea go. That was a great first round.

Norowas has 3 skills that can generate white mana, so those Illusionists can be very useful in case of, let's say, dragons.

Wait, what?

Nobody told me there would be dragons. Screw this, I'm going back to the portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Also, we need a new Advanced Action in the Monastery Offer.

See, I'm genuinely not used to them being around. Offer is updated again.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Check out that Advanced Action offer! Gems Crystals are outrageous!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Istvun posted:

Nobody told me there would be dragons. Screw this, I'm going back to the portal.

They are hypothetical dragons.

Ignore the green guy to the east, by the way.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Gems Crystals are outrageous!

Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

I always get a chuckle out of the recycled art. WizKids: We Were Pretty Much Bankrupt When We Made This Game(tm)!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Vlaada forcing them out of house and home when he was making all the crap for this game!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Crystal Mastery is one of the most fun cards in the game, nothing like powering your entire hand with a stack of regenerating crystals.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Gutter Owl, I think the tactic choice is to you.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

...Well dang, I guess it is.

Mana Search.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
In that case, I might as well grab Sparing Power

Never don't go last

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Norowas

First and foremost, reroll both red mana dice.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
congrats on your 2 gold manas

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm glad I'm not immediately after you this round. Going after the guy with mana search is always an ordeal.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
that source and advanced action offer were bad enough for me that I was basically considering going last as another advantage.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Norowas' Turn

Player order is updated. The dice come out red, green.

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 14 deck.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 5 hand, 13 deck.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 6 hand, 12 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 5 hand, 12 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame/Reputation Track | City Listing

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Is it 2 of the same Orc that are out right now?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Yep. Roadblock, the most boring orc. Won't even give you a level up :argh:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Hell it that wouldn't even get you a level up at the beginning of the game! So really he's just kind of useless.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 30, 2014

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

He's not useless if you care about improving the attitude of the human populace by committing orc/dragon genocide.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
ive been kibitzing this thread and loving the game. It's moving very fast. I have a quick question.

Was the point of the earlier mulligans offer that Tovak could have explored to the south east rather than running all the way up north to hang with the others? Is that what you mean Stelas by a five wide board? Tovak could have explored down there and had a whole section of the board to himself with cards to play.

Cheers,

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Beffer posted:

ive been kibitzing this thread and loving the game. It's moving very fast. I have a quick question.

Was the point of the earlier mulligans offer that Tovak could have explored to the south east rather than running all the way up north to hang with the others? Is that what you mean Stelas by a five wide board? Tovak could have explored down there and had a whole section of the board to himself with cards to play.

Cheers,

Exactly.

As far as I can tell Tovak also built up 10 movement points (including 3 sideways cards) and only used 8 of them. That whole turn was just a bit weird.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Beffer posted:

Cheers,

Exactly right, i always play with a Wedge Map so in that situation it's only 3[?] across so there wouldn't be anything in that direction normally, had i know that it was an option i might have considered going that way instead of burning all my cards to catch up with everybody else.

Looking on it now, if had i know i would have had a keep, a monster den AND crystal mine all to myself i might have done it :sigh:

Bubble-T posted:

Exactly.

As far as I can tell Tovak also built up 10 movement points (including 3 sideways cards) and only used 8 of them. That whole turn was just a bit weird.

Didn't account for the fact that Norowas was already in the space i was wanting to occupy and since PVP is off i don't believe i can do that so just decided to stop. Plus the end of round was coming up anyway so there wasn't really a point of hording cards which lead to some wasted movement.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Beffer posted:

Was the point of the earlier mulligans offer that Tovak could have explored to the south east rather than running all the way up north to hang with the others? Is that what you mean Stelas by a five wide board?

That's exactly it. The more players you have, the wider the potential board becomes. The idea is that you can't explore beyond the coastline, if you extended that coastline off from the base tile. Generally speaking, when playing solo or with 3 players or less, you play in a wedge shape, like so. With four players, though, that would make the early game way too crowded, so instead you're allowed a much wider island, like so. I call it 'five tiles wide' because that's how many rows of hexes you get if you look at them diagonally.

The Vassal module I'm using to build the board includes shaded hexes, allowing you to see which spaces are viable exploration - but they're part of an overlay that doesn't get properly included in the screenshots (note in the latest map there's only 3 tiles shaded) and someone who isn't used to an open board is going to potentially forget it's an option. My fault, for not realising sooner.

After mulling over this I think I'll rule that if HOOLY BOOLY wants he can undo his entire last turn, as if he'd ended turn on the keep. He didn't reveal anything on his turn, so it still sorta works in terms of the game's take-back rules, it's no effort for me to do, and it'll basically 'cost him' his last turn of the round. The benefit is that, yes, Tovak would get a chunk of the board to himself - lots of VP. The downside is that he'd be significantly further away from the bulk of the core tiles later in the game, and that's where the cities and the big rewards are.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Norowas, cont'd

Take a blue die, play Crystalize (powered) to gain a white crystal.

"Y'know, guys, this whole not-burning-you-down thing was kinda contingent on you having something I wanted more than the shiny doodad inside your hard candy shell. So uh, whatcha got?"

"We'll, um, how about my cousin Jim? He's a super good farmer. Just super good."

"..."

Burn the Monastery

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 30, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

yaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Wait, poo poo, that means Fire Bolt is probably going to end up consigned to the ether. Now I feel really conflicted.

Update in an hour-ish.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Actually, since I haven't seen the new info yet, I'd like to take back that Crystallize until I see my opponent. Juuuuust in case I need a different color more than I need white.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Norowas' Turn

Norowas is a very naughty boy.

Tovak, see my post above re: the ruling on last turn.

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 14 deck.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 5 hand, 13 deck.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Norowas, cont'd

Now take the blue mana die, play Crystallize (powered) for a white crystal. (God I love Bonds of Loyalty. Nothing says friendship like a mate who'll knock over a church with you.)

"Oh hey there, Mister Ice Mage. Have you met my friend Bill? He's a GIGANTIC DRAGON AND HE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU QUICK SHOOT HIM SHOOT HIM."

Spend white crystal, activate the Illusionists to prevent the Ice Mage's attack.

"Haha, just joshing you buddy! The dragon wasn't real. We have a lot of fun here at Norowas, Inc. But we can be serious too! For example, let me introduce you to my chief accountant, Fist. Bit uncreative, I admit, but he does get the job done."

Play Rage for Attack 2, Determination for Attack 2, and March and Diplomacy sideways for Attack 1 each (6 total). Kill the ice mage, ransack the reliquary, level.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Edit: Actually That whole thing was a bad idea, I can i still take that Mulligan?

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 30, 2014

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Not sure how you're getting there, with Goldyx in the way.

Unless PVP rules are on, two Mage Knights may never co-occupy a space, except for a conquered city.

Edit: And Stelas's houserule only gives you a mulligan if your opening hand does not contain a Move card.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Gutter Owl posted:

Not sure how you're getting there, with Goldyx in the way.

Unless PVP rules are on, two Mage Knights may never co-occupy a space, except for a conquered city.

Edit: And Stelas's houserule only gives you a mulligan if your opening hand does not contain a Move card.

You can't even pass through the same space with them?

But in any case the thing i was going to do was bad so i just want to take the offered Mulligan.

In the case of me starting by my keep, i'll like to Power up Stamina and go exploring to the SE that i know is there now!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You can't even pass through the same space with them?

But in any case the thing i was going to do was bad so i just want to take the offered Mulligan.

In the case of me starting by my keep, i'll like to Power up Stamina and go exploring to the SE that i know is there now!

Ohhhh, got it. By "mulligan," I thought you meant "draw a replacement hand" (which Stelas has instituted as a houserule if you don't draw any movement cards), not the special takeback on your last turn.

And no, you may not pass through a space containing another Mage Knight.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

And no, you may not pass through a space containing another Mage Knight.

Actually, you can! It's on page 6 of the rules, Movement, rule 8.

quote:

You are allowed to pass through spaces occupied by another player's figure freely, unless it is in a keep owned by that player. It is also allowed to enter a space with another player, reveal a new map tile or tiles, then continue movement.

You just get pushed back if you try to end your turn on them.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

Actually, you can! It's on page 6 of the rules, Movement, rule 8.

You just get pushed back if you try to end your turn on them.

Say what?

Well gently caress my entire butt. I've been playing that wrong for two years.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Well gently caress my entire butt. I've been playing that wrong for two years.

~mage knight~

Sorry about that, kind of crashed out hard for the evening.

Tovak's Turn

Tovak rubberbands across the scenery suddenly (and gets an extra card for his troubles).

Norowas levels and gains a new Command Token.
You could argue that Artifact selection is private, but it'll be obvious which one you picked next turn anyway. Norowas' choices are thus on his character board.

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 0/6 hand, 14 deck, yet to draw.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 6 hand, 12 deck.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Take Emerald Ring.

Also, Stelas:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

i'll like to Power up Stamina and go exploring to the SE that i know is there now!

EDIT: Also, did I reroll that blue die to blue again?

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 1, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Whoops, just spotted that, thanks.

Yeah, the dice rolled up blue.

Tovak's Turn

Another pinata! Fire Bolt may yet be saved. Shame about the forests everywhere.

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 10 deck.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 5 hand, 12 deck, 2 move remaining.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Sorry for the wait yall, Shadow of Mordor is pretty great!

To continue my move, i play Concentration and get a green token with which i play March powered up and Promise sideways for 7 total Move I move onto the Monastery and end my turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Concentration and get a green token

You can't! Concentrate allows any basic colour except green.

• Locked thread