Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Deep breaths!

Intro Guide
Rules
Official FAQ

What?

Mage Knight owns. It's one of - if not the best - 'walk around and beat poo poo up and increase your power' fantasy games on the market. Part deckbuilder, part wargame, the idea is that you have a deck full of cards that constitute the actions you can take - throughout the game, as you gain Fame and experience, you'll add to this deck, increasing your powers and options until you can take over the nearby major cities in a blaze of glory. It's got tight mechanics, it's got a huge focus on efficiency, it strongly rewards strategizing and synergizing and planning ahead. It's also very daunting at first - there's a lot of fiddly tokens and things to keep track of - but a couple of plays of the included walkthrough will usually get anyone hooked.

I absolutely adore it, and it's even better with the expansions that add complexity and significantly interesting scenarios to the game. Unfortunately, we won't be seeing them in this thread, because this is effectively going to be a test run to see if this can even work particularly well PBP. Hopefully I've got a workflow worked out that'll make things go back tolerably quickly. Unfortunately, Recruiting... is closed. Sorry! As a test run, I wanted players who knew the game, and picked them ahead of time.

Notes
  • This game will be Standard Conquest, 4 players, base game only.
  • Direct PVP is off. You can go and take over keeps that belong to other players, but not fight them directly. It's going to be a huge mess in a thread.
  • The only houserule I'm using: If your first draw in a round has no Move, you may mulligan it until it does. I kind of consider 'having some Move cards' important to getting the whole engine moving, and it's an enormous kick in the pants if you don't.
  • When deciding your actions, please do as many actions as possible at once in bold. Obviously stop if you need a tile revealed, or an enemy piece - otherwise, try to bundle as much into a single post as possible. I'm only going to be double-checking your moves, rather than providing blow-by-blow feedback.
  • Off-turn posting is allowed. This is obvious, because sometimes you'll have to pick level-up choices or artifacts.
  • Audience posting is allowed. Since hands will be invisible, it's going to be a little difficult for new players to pick out what's being posted or what's going on, and I'd love to convince people to get their own copy. If you don't get what's happening, just ask.
Please note that I've cut the images down rather - they're jpgs at 80% quality, but some of the text is quite small so I've had to take rather large captures. If they start to get too big or too slow to load, let me know. Dropbox will hopefully hold up okay.

Players

Randomly selected characters by dice order and preferences:

Impermanent is Goldyx!
Gutter Owl is Norowas!
HOOLY BOOLY is Tovak!
Istvun is Arythea!

Day 1

Hand links have been PMmed. Tactics happens in reverse order to character selection; Arythea, then Tovak, then Norowas, then Goldyx.

Goldyx (Impermanent) - 5 card, 11 deck.
Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame/Reputation Track | City Listing

Action Queue
- Arythea: Choose tactic.
- Everyone else: CO or choose tactics in order.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There was no goddamn way I was signing up for this, I can just play a solo game at home in a few hours, but I'm subscribing and will enjoy reading it. :3:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

silvergoose posted:

There was no goddamn way I was signing up for this, I can just play a solo game at home in a few hours, but I'm subscribing and will enjoy reading it. :3:

Not empty quoting this.

Also, I suggest every player to go straight to the dungeon. It's the safest option.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I would have said a not funny thing, but I realized I need a different tactic.

Take Great Start

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Planning for me please, more cards for the Discard God :black101:

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Gonna sit back and watch this after Stelas pointed me at this with a wild look in his eye.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm super excited about this, everyone. I want everyone to know that I'll do my best to keep the game from..... dragon.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
"The Right Moment"
Sorry, let's grab Early Bird instead.

There's only one village on the map, and Norowas needs it.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 27, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Impermanent posted:

I'm super excited about this, everyone. I want everyone to know that I'll do my best to keep the game from..... dragon.

As long as you don't give us the Cold Fire shoulder we should all be cool right?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oh no

Sorry everyone, I had to Ninja edit after Gutter Owl changed a tactic :argh:

If Gutter Owl takes Early Bird, I take Mana Steal, and take the Blue Mana Source Die.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 27, 2014

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Sorry. If it's any consolation, I don't think our turns intersect at all.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
They probably don't intersect, but just to make sure I'm changing my stuff. You're probably right to go first. It's pretty useful on this layout, where all of the early level-appropriate stuff is clustered in one location.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Take Green die, Play Concentration (Enhanced) to play March (Enhanced+2) for Move 6.

Play Stamina for Move 2 (8 total)

Move to Village via plains.

Skip Action, end turn.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Impermanent posted:

They probably don't intersect, but just to make sure I'm changing my stuff. You're probably right to go first. It's pretty useful on this layout, where all of the early level-appropriate stuff is clustered in one location.

Dungeon, Keep and Mage Tower and all considered low level?!

Anyway i'm going to Play 2 Swiftness for 4 Movement and move to the title to the upper left of the dungeon

You have to be IN the dungeon space to go into it right? It's not like everything else where you can be next to it to attack?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Dungeon, Keep and Mage Tower and all considered low level?!

Anyway i'm going to Play 2 Swiftness for 4 Movement and move to the title to the upper left of the dungeon

You have to be IN the dungeon space to go into it right? It's not like everything else where you can be next to it to attack?

I think the only things that you don't need to move into in order to interact with them are rampaging monsters.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I think of keep as level 1.5. Also, it won't effect anything probably, but you may want to wait for the host to roll the mana die that's been used and I'm technically next in order, although it won't effect anything.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Istvun posted:

I think the only things that you don't need to move into in order to interact with them are rampaging monsters.

Yeah, you're right.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Awesome. I'll be keeping my eye on the game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I've never played this with more than 2 so I'm interested in how it works out with more.

That's a pretty crazy ruins to draw two hexes from the portal.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Wow, sorry, fell asleep pretty hard. And yeah, Goldyx is up next, not Tovak.

Norowas' turn happens. Turn order is decided, links below are rearranged. I'm gonna also bold whoever's turn it is from now on.

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 8 deck.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 5 card, 11 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 7 hand, 9 deck.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also, just a note - the shadow on the map doesn't show it very well, but we're currently using the open board type, allowing up to 5 tiles sideways. It'll fit, just.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Goldyx, finest of all the Draconum, makes his first move.

I play, in order:

Powered Mana Draw using a white mana from the Source. I then take the golden mana die from the Source and set it to blue. and gain 2 blue mana tokens.

The first blue token is used for Powered Crystallize, which I use to gain 1 green mana.
The second blue token is used for Powered Stamina, which I use with an unpowered Swiftness and a sideways Rage (for 4+2+1=7 move) to enter the the forest with a magical glade hex Southeast of the goblins. (I moved through the two plains hexes and into the forest.)

I then high-five Narowas.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

At the last second, Norowas pulls his hand away with perfect elven grace.

Once again demonstrating that Goldyx is

too slow.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Gold dicks already being a dick with the gold mana.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Impermanent posted:

The first blue token is used for Powered Crystallize, which I use to gain 1 green mana.

For the sake of my sanity, please differentiate between mana and crystals!

Also, when you're running the Vassal module as Game Moderator, everyone's cards go to Tovak's discard pile. I'm sure that'll. That'll be great. Fortunately I can do it manually, I guess, but turn change might get exciting.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tovak's Turn

Goldyx (Impermanent) - 5 card, 6 deck.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Glad to see someone running this on SA, it's my favorite board game!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY's actions are still valid... but I'd rather not rely on general COs in a game with this many moving parts unless I've been specifically told they're okay.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Stelas posted:

HOOLY BOOLY's actions are still valid... but I'd rather not rely on general COs in a game with this many moving parts unless I've been specifically told they're okay.

Yeah sorry about jumping the gun, i was just REALLY excited about getting those 4 movement points :smug: and thanks for the highlights i was kinda confused if it was my actual turn at the time!

So uh being new to this PBP format what do you mean by CO? Call Outs? like of moves you're doing?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So uh being new to this PBP format what do you mean by CO? Call Outs? like of moves you're doing?

A CO is a conditional order - a set of moves you PM to the moderator to try to speed things up / designate your actions ahead of time. So I could have just taken your previous actions and run them - but given the way a lot can change between turns, I decided I'd rather not do so without your explicit 'this is absolutely what I want to do on my turn'. For the moment, just let me know if you want to go ahead with those actions or do something else.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 27, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Well knowing where Goldyx and Norowas are now it'd be kind a dick move to change my move so i'm just gonna stick with them!

Unsuprisingly though, it seems like all Norowas players (my brother included) sprint straight for the nearest village to use his wily elven ways to persuade the locals into loving them.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Well knowing where Goldyx and Norowas are now it'd be kind a dick move to change my move so i'm just gonna stick with them!

I really don't mind if you want to change it; this is where you'd normally get to pick your actions anyhow. I doubt Goldyx was trying to block you so much as park his scaly rear end on the healing spring. That said, I'll keep going to get things moving along.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 27, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arythea's Turn

Note that HOOLY BOOLY can still redo his turn if desired.

Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 6 hand, 8 deck.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 27, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

He's called Gold DICKS for a reason though :colbert:

Regardless of that fact i think i'll keep Using 2 Swiftness for 4 movement which puts me on the tile to the top left of the mine, bringing up the rear of the conga line we got going on at the moment.

Edit: I don't know if it's my own hesitation or the variety of options that i know i could end up getting on the next few cards that made me sit back and think on my first freaking move of the game! Only in Mage Knight :allears:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 27, 2014

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
First things off I'll use a powered stamina to move NW and look at the keep defenders

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arythea's Turn

Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 6 hand, 8 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 6 hand, 9 deck, 2 move left.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh, look, Arythea's about to start burning upright citizens.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

What an rear end in a top hat-ish thing to do! But she's not quite a super bitch yet, i'd say she's still a zero our like meter yeah?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll attack the keep with Swiftness for movement. Get arrered, and then use Mana Draw to power a Rage and kill them in the face.

And I'll use a sideways Threaten to add insult to injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You're not playing Arythea right if you don't immediately tank yourself to X on the reaction track. Bonus points if you bought Call to Arms/Glory on the first turn and can lord your massive army over people.

Not that I'd be that mean.

• Locked thread