Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

RareAcumen posted:

Who says this?

I've seen tweets to this effect, but, y'know, Twitter.

Also, I don't think it's necessarily the best animated show ever, but that would delve into poo poo like "anime doesn't count" and so on and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Now let's see you guys put this much effort into defending say, Amon's character arc.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Now let's see you guys put this much effort into defending say, Amon's character arc.

There's no arc to defend in the first place.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's no arc to defend in the first place.

There is if you really work for it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Lady Gagazula posted:

Azula's relationship with Mai and Ty Lee was never about trust. It was about using fear to control people.

Because Azula was so convinced that her ability to control them was absolute that the mere possibility of betrayal or defiance never even entered her mind. Once reality set in Azula was unable to properly recover before the rest of her world started to fall apart.

The line that sells it is when Mai betrays her and says "You miscalculated, I love him more than I fear you"

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

The Sharmat posted:

You'll have to read the comic, man. :wink:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I don't know, guys, I just don't see it. You guys need to outline context clues and character moments using video, audio, transcripts and still images to maybe convince me. It just seemed rushed to me, is all. Nothing was ever connected or really made sense. It was just really bad writing. You know, no hard feelings that you're imagining things. Maybe you could convince me. :) :) :) We'll see.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I never said it was really bad writing.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, I don't know. Maybe. Just... a little rushed. Sort of sudden? I guess I can see what they were trying to do but... Whatever, it was fine. The show was fine. :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

There are some legit good moments in last airbender like when Aang goes into the Avatar State in anger to kill the guys who stole his bison and Kitarra has to calm him down and he's crying in the Avatar State

I don't know how to deal with you seriousposting I need an adult

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

There are some legit good moments in last airbender like when Aang goes into the Avatar State in anger to kill the guys who stole his bison and Kitarra has to calm him down and he's crying in the Avatar State
KAtara :colbert: Way to slip up Big Anime Sham. :smug:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Well as we wrap up this thread and did favorite villains, let's do favorite team avatar members!

Zuko
Toph
Sokka
Asami
Katara
Bolin
Mako

Also the animal companions:

Appa
Momo
Naga
Pabu
Hawky

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

I don't know, guys, I just don't see it. You guys need to outline context clues and character moments using video, audio, transcripts and still images to maybe convince me. It just seemed rushed to me, is all. Nothing was ever connected or really made sense. It was just really bad writing. You know, no hard feelings that you're imagining things. Maybe you could convince me. :) :) :) We'll see.

During the wiki edit war between the airing of the finale and Bryko's actual tumblr post admitting it the most often said thing was "until its explicitly stated by the creators Korrasami is not canon there's no way to conclusively prove from the episode ending that Korra and Asami end up together" despite that fact that it ends almost identical to the first Avatar except Korra and Asami don't kiss like Aang and Katarra did.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Sharmat posted:

Amon is Tenzin if he never found closure with his father.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Amon is Tenzin if he never found closure with his father.

Wow. That's...actually not bad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Wow. That's...actually not bad.

Except Tenzin didn't find closure with his dad until well after Amon died???

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
And he doesn't stop trying to be a reflection of his dad until after Amon dies too.

Yeah it's a big stretch I was just impressed at the creativity.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheKingofSprings posted:

Except Tenzin didn't find closure with his dad until well after Amon died???

I mean there are other differences too but there is a specific parallel in Book 1 between Yakone and Aang both trying to pass on their bloodline.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"Whatever, everyone knows Amon got half of Aang's Avatar powers when Aang half-died from that lightning strike and that's how he could take away bending" -virtually everyone on this forum when the show started

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

BrianWilly posted:

"Whatever, everyone knows Amon got half of Aang's Avatar powers when Aang half-died from that lightning strike and that's how he could take away bending" -virtually everyone on this forum when the show started

Remember that photoshopped fake screencap of a decrepit old-rear end Aang under Amon's mask?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
We've truly come full circle.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's rather fitting for a show with reincarnation as a central theme for this thread to come full circle as well. It almost brings a tear to my eye.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
While I'll admit that Korra's relatively huge cast meant that none of the supporting characters got the sort of arc and growth that Zuko or even Sokka did, there were still an impressive number of characters with some neat development and stories.

But mostly what stands out to me with Korra vs. AtLA is Korra herself. I can enjoy the show just for watching her own challenges and development outside of all the other color, and that's something I can't really say about Aang. His story plays the archetype well enough, but doesn't really excel: the world and his supporting cast are what carries the show. I'm really torn as to which show I think has a better whole, but Korra has a stronger protagonist with a more meaningful personal story.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

computer parts posted:

I mean there are other differences too but there is a specific parallel in Book 1 between Yakone and Aang both trying to pass on their bloodline.
And there's where all the sudden airbenders came from. Aang freaked out when his first kid was a non-bender and his second kid was a water bender and decided to go crazy on all his avatar-inspired world trips while Katara had to stay home with the kids and tried in vain to single-handedly recreate the airbenders the old-fashioned way. When Tenzin finally rolled around he came to his senses and just pinned all his hopes on Tenzin.

That's right, every airbender from season 3 is some descendant of Aang. Even Opal. :colbert:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Goodbye, thread! See you in hell the Spirit World!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope Bryke and the rest of the Avatar staff go on to make other beautifully animated things.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Level Slide posted:

I hope Bryke and the rest of the Avatar staff go on to make other beautifully animated things.

Netflix might hire them for some original series. If they're going to drop $90 mill on an Asian GoT then they clearly have money to burn.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

pentyne posted:

Netflix might hire them for some original series. If they're going to drop $90 mill on an Asian GoT then they clearly have money to burn.

Woah what?

Level Slide posted:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Goodbye, thread! See you in hell the Spirit World!

The perfect representation of platonic friendship. The best way to end this thread of great posts and posters.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Oracle posted:

That's right, every airbender from season 3 is some descendant of Aang. Even Opal. :colbert:

"Even Opal", the daughter of Suyin who in turn is obviously the daughter of Toph and Aang. Yeah, what a stretch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

Woah what?

Netflix spent $90 million on Marco Polo, it's Asian themed medieval drama, and in the last 3 years have been going all in on producing original series to stand out now that Amazon and Hulu are shaping up to be serious competition. Orange is the New Black has been great, House of Cards squandered a mindblowing season 1 with a completely bonkers season 2, Bojack Horseman was one of the best, darkest comedies in years, they've got a contract to produce 4 Marvel series which will almost certainly be tied into the MCU, and nowadays when a cable show gets cancelled its "Well, Netflix could pick it up" like they did with Longmire.

I could see the Avatar creative team getting hired to produce an animated series based on Eastern myth/philosophy to appeal to kids/teens and give Netflix a toy franchise to add to their revenue stream. The management has been really good at seeking new ways of securing profits and how to encourage media companies to keep giving them film/TV licenses.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
THE ERA OF BENDING IS OVER

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
Not that the comics have been great but do we know if Korra is going to get continued in them like ATLA did?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
You'll always be alive in the Spirit World, thread. Thanks for the fun times and Eva references.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Barlow posted:

Not that the comics have been great but do we know if Korra is going to get continued in them like ATLA did?

As far as I can tell that's in the realm of speculation or fervent hope. Personally I'd like to see another game, but this time with a bit more of a budget (haha). The one that came out was decent enough, adequately conveying the experience of beating up dudes with magical kung-fu, and a villain that was pretty uncomplicated but visually memorable. I mean holy poo poo, that guy.

On the other hand, gently caress that last match in Ace pro-bending. gently caress it forever.

Either way maybe we'll see Red Lotus remnants pop up their heads finally. They interrupt the girls' spirit world picnic and they're forced to wreck poo poo.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

pentyne posted:

I could see the Avatar creative team getting hired to produce an animated series based on Eastern myth/philosophy to appeal to kids/teens and give Netflix a toy franchise to add to their revenue stream. The management has been really good at seeking new ways of securing profits and how to encourage media companies to keep giving them film/TV licenses.
Don't they have already the third season of the Dragons franchise set up for February?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Farewell, Korra thread! Once everyone calmed down from the finale, you were actually readable. This thread should've been in ADTRW from the very beginning. :toot:

I don't know what will happen to the Avatar franchise; but now that I'm considering that there might never be another Avatar series, I'm actually cool with that. I remember seeing Avatar for the very first time when my cousins were watching Nickelodeon; it was the German version, and it looked/sounded like utterly generic Wuxia garbage for kids. I especially thought the whole premise of a world being perfectly divided into four elementaly aligned countries was supremely stupid, and I wrote it off as just another lame attempt at drawing in the hatching weeabo crowd. And that was that for three years or so. Until I read somewhere about people being incredibly excited for Season 3, so I gave it a go, and what do you know - besides some stupid episodes in S1, it was actually really good. I remember being especially impressed by the Blue Spirit episode - you know, the one where Zuko kicks rear end with a mask and two blades -, because it was just such a good action scene. I never really warmed up to Aang and Katara, but the magical kungfu won me over.

Legend of Korra was pretty nice at the start, but the botched romance plot, the lack of magical kungfu and the lame finale (WHICH HAD NOT NEARLY ENOUGH MAGICAL KUNGFU! WHO THE gently caress THOUGHT THAT FORCECHOKES MADE FOR A GOOD FINAL FIGHT?!) didn't bode well. But believe it or not, I really liked S2 in parts, especially some of the fight scenes (Tonraq vs. Unalaq, BOLIN SAVES THE PRESIDENT, dubstep kaiju battle). From then on, it was pretty much a smooth ride to the S4 finale. S4 had a little less magical kungfu than I'd preferred, but the extremely strong final few episodes totally made up for it. Overall, I prefer Korra over ATLA because of the much, much better main character, more impressive magical kungfu, much, much better final fights aaaaaand genuinely good characters like Tenzin, Lin and Su.

If there's ever another Avatar series, it will most certainly deal with the next generation. There will be magical kungfu. If there ISN'T another Avatar series ever again... there will be another series with magical kungfu. :colbert: That's the hard truth, folks. Ultimately, the main draw for me were always very well done action scenes and the occasional great character, none of which is Avatar-specific. At this point, I'd rather have a completely new universe, one which is aimed at an older audience right from the start. And let's be honest - that's more likely anyway.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

BOLIN SAVES THE PRESIDENT

This part doesn't get enough love. As much of a poo poo storm as season 2 was, it had the best Bolin writing save a couple parts in season 4.

NUKTUK! HERO OF THE WORLD!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Torquemadras posted:

If there ISN'T another Avatar series ever again... there will be another series with magical kungfu. :colbert:
New season of Jojo starts Jan 9th (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

This part doesn't get enough love. As much of a poo poo storm as season 2 was, it had the best Bolin writing save a couple parts in season 4.

NUKTUK! HERO OF THE WORLD!

The whole mover plotline was hilarious and great, and nobody can tell me otherwise. It had Varrick being Varrick, Bolin being a goofy moviestar without any clue what's happening around him, Pabu being a talking friendship laser animal, an actually entertaining version of Unalaq and BOLIN SAVING THE PRESIDENT.

Actually, hear me out just why that is such an incredible action scene. Not only does it do a bang-up job at synchronizing the ultra-cheesy Nuktuk mover in the background with the actual action (at some points projecting parts of it on the combatants, even). No, it also uses the cheesy movie soundtrack as well, and it's the very first scene in the entire series of Bolin being super-badass on his own! And it's also somewhat of a payoff: we're in a Probending arena, and everyone was getting annoyed with the restrictive rules as opposed to crazy magical kungfu - but here's Bolin, fighting evil kidnappers, and ALL THE RULES ARE OFF THE TABLE. Bolin fires dozens of those stone disks. The scene works even better, since it's Varrick's men Bolin is going up against. It's one action scene that's just stupidly fun, and I feel like Korra didn't have enough of those.

Of course, the overall plot is rather frustrating - mostly thanks to Mako, out-of-character Lin and Bolin's blockheadedness -, but it was all worth it once Varrick turned out to be the villain of that plot. It was the absolute best thing to happen. Combined with the early lack of animation quality in S2, it's no surprise many people hate that part, but I really loved all the movie nonsense, Varrick, and its resolution.

Jackard posted:

New season of Jojo starts Jan 9th (?)

That's not magical kungfu, that's ridiculously badass punchghost mindgames.

Also, everybody knows they just have to get Part 3 out of the way before we get to the best JoJo, Diamond is Unbreakable :colbert:

• Locked thread