Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Torquemadras posted:

This. I wrote it earlier - it's a nice nod to the fans and what the characters have become, but not that overblown. I could gush about the mecha fight and the 1v1 and the battle in the engineering room forever. I guess I'll never understand how scenes like that, while a nice outro, can dominate an entire thread when there's giant elemental kungfu in a town built out of explosive bricks.

It's us, we are the tumblr

I liked the part where they cribbed shots from anime like the roof skimming from Attack on Titan and the mecha staple of shooting a beam across the sky and lighting the background up in explosions. It's a kid's show though cause those little explosions should've been all hummingbirds.

Metal bending fights are still the best though but I'm kind of mad that they've only used the Azula method of flying via fire jets like what, twice in the entier series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Torquemadras posted:

I like that deeply satisfying sound of massive sheets of metal being violently twisted. Flying metal knives are nasty and all, but seeing steel get crumpled like paper just screams raw power! Great fun.

Also, I remember at least three instances of fire jet boots in Legend of Korra... I think they use it for wallrunning or something in S1, Korra herself does it as enraged avatar in the S3 finale, and Mako does it when boarding the Colossus.

By the way, I'm calling Kuvira's mech Colossus now because it sounds awesome and it's in the episode title. You can't stop me.

Don't forget every time Su uses metal as both armor and a weapon but yeah, Mako being the primary firebender of the story is really lame considering he doesn't come anywhere close to the power of any of the ones from ATLA so he just kinda doesn't contribute much. I'm also kinda sad that they didn't go back to their kung fu movie roots and have an airbender palm strike a dude or a mech suit to no apparent effect and then a split second later it just flies through a few buildings.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Torquemadras posted:

And anyway, who are we comparing him to? Iroh and Ozai? Zuko was never that terribly impressive either - most of his crazy stunts actually involve just blades. I'm kind of glad the ultra-powerful benders of ATLA are mostly gone, aside from Toph's giant earthquake thing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Felix_Cat posted:

What with all this Korrasami chat people are forgetting great moments like Zhu Li's look when she immediately realises she's going to be the ostrich-horse in Varrick's story.

Also when Korra yells at Kuvira to shut down the spirit gun, for a moment I thought her response was to ramp up the power level. Because really that would be a pretty Kuvira type of response.

I liked the part where she turned around in the sunlight and had additional framerate for her hair so we could get a free scene of Varrick being gobsmacked.

Also I'm not really surprised on how the Kuvira plot ended based on how poorly thought through her plans were that she would change her mind about things after spending like 5 minutes in the spirit world with Therapist Korra.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can always go with the anime production model where you make niche shows with razor thin margins targetting a tiny demographic that is willing to pay $100 for a two episode Bluray.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think it's safe to say it's because they've been very bad about handling the Avatar State throughout this entire series and leave it at that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aang at the end of ATLA was definitely more powerful than his "rage monster" form while being fully in control so I'm not so sure about those "two types", although it definitely is true that a lot of self control and training is required to fully harness it. Of course, after the previous Avatar lives are severed, the Avatar State pretty much only becomes a power boost for Korra since she no longer can harness the experience and techniques of previous Avatars. I rewatched the finale for ATLA today and Aang in Avatar State coulda totally wrecked that dumb robot with just that move where he shreds a rock into a stream of bullets that shred mountains.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There are many things in this world I'd rather do before I die than rewatch Season 2 (or Pro Bending for that matter) again.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's Sir Iknik Blackstone Varrick to you. :colbert:

Also the thing I'm going to miss most about Korra is the ending theme and I'm not sure why.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
you are the worst

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

This is awesome, thanks for that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The main thing about bending another person's attacks is that if they threw a rock at you, you have to push back with the same amount of strength just to stop it. Kung Fu, nevermind all martial arts, is all about using less energy to deflect an attack than to match it with brute strength and this shows in the fight choreography of both series.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Timett posted:

Fire bending has always been kinda dumb to me on the show. I have not actually seen The Last Airbender film but from what I understand they actually require a fire source to bend from in that film and that seems better to me. Maybe I'm just being dumb but can't we consider Lava "firey earth" and Mako should be able to bend at least the firey bits. Or by show logic he should be able to use the heat from the lava to make his bending stronger or something.

In Chinese medicine "heat" is one of the elements of a body that can be out of balance and lead to health problems and, more importantly, in kung fu styles that feature an internal element, energy being directed around the body is often described as "heat". One of the most important things in managing this energy (or chi) is proper breathing which is also what Iroh says is the most important thing to master for firebending. In essence, firebending is transforming internal heat into external heat as a weapon and this makes it the most "realistic" (using that term loosely here) type of bending alongside airbending.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just remembered that Avatar Wan's story was in Season 2 which was great so there's that one tiny glimmer of good in that giant shitpile.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well I mean Ozai had a beach house there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Sharmat posted:

I could have done without the singing to badgermoles honestly. I know it was in ATLA too but it was less jarring there.

This made me think of how Korra could've used a Tales of Ba Sing Se episode but I don't think I actually cared about most of the characters as much.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I take issue with the idea that Kuvira was well written. Her character arc is basically "charismatic leader" to "almost Hitler" (I understand how she had a literal Nazi railgun and concentration camps was just shorthand to emphasize her fascist nature) and then about 10 lines of exposition about sad orphaned past and redemption. It would've been far more effective for her to be worked into the Season 3 plot to show us her belief in gaining enough power to crush anything that could ever threaten her (ie by going through the same trials with team avatar against Zaheer and gang).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ambivalent posted:

It's easy to immediately go to Hitler because that's where the art direction goes. The art direction for all of the Earth Empire, from haircuts to railguns, to the masks on the troopers and stuff, is all pretty blatant.

Yeah, reminder that the railgun is literally a Nazi superweapon.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Panty and Stocking is Gainax's best show, amazing in both English and Japanese and there ain't anyone growing up in it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Covok posted:

I never watched that one because it didn't look that good. It just seemed juvenile. I suppose you disagree?

I mean if you feel that way about things being juvenile then I don't think it's the show for you.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just imagine if Kuvira was on the Zaheer hunting team with Korra and they did the whole first part of the orphan story there (ie before she ditches Su) as just conversation with Korra. Over season 3 they find common ground over their desire to make the world a better place, Kuvira respects Korra for her power and vice versa for Kuvira's conviction. Then boom season 4 happens and we already know who Kuvira is and the "gone for 3 years line" has a lot more immediate impact.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Actually I really didn't like Amon being a bender all along!!! since it sweeps the actual issues the non-benders had under the rug because they were being manipulated by an Evil Bender. Sure we got democracy and non-bender President Raiko out of it but it still seems really hollow cause the non-bender/bender divide is never brought up ever again. Season 2 is a little better about it actually,. even though it doesn't really resolve the spiritual divide between the progressive and conservative factions of the Water tribe and it villainizes the latter because it's controlled by Unalak. At least the world feels lasting consequences of Korra's solution to the lack of spirituality in the world by forcing the spirits to live with humans again.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Speaking of non-benders did Asami even get to give anyone the shocker in Season 4. My friend once told me that Korra would've been better if they just merged Mako and Asami together into a jet packing, lightning gloving non-bender who has a tempestuous on and off relationship with Korra.

I like that idea.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BrianWilly posted:

I really wanted Asami to go full-tilt Batman and start packing grappling hooks and gas pellets in her usual arsenal.
By any standard, benders have a type of privilege that non-benders don't. "Well I can shoot fire and you can't, but you're richer than me so you have no right to complain!" isn't how privilege works. It was jarring for this show to not ever really examine that, especially coming off of ATLA, which seemed like a show that did tend to examine those things. More to the point, it's just really jarring in general, period, for any sort of modern narrative to be in total support of a side that does have privilege when the conflict in question centers specifically on that privilege, whilst presenting those without that privilege (again, the one that is specifically being debated on in the context of the plot) as just being a literal army of whiny malcontents without any real cause.

The Equalists were never going to be "right," but the fact is that these wrong people's intense ideologies shouldn't have been resolved the way that it did. Their entire complaint was that benders oppress and manipulate the less powerful. How was revealing that they were being oppressed and manipulated by a bender all this time supposed to prove them wrong?

Well you see, S1: Communism is bad. S2: Theocracy is bad. S3: Anarchism is bad. S4: Fascism is bad.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ImpAtom posted:

Kuvira putting people into reeducation camps is mentioned multiple times throughout the season.

Not only that, it's what makes Bolin question his loyalty and then he is threatened with being sent to one before Varrick convinces them to make Bolin his assistant. It's actually relevant to the plot.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Fire is a form of plasma and so is lightning so there's a direct link there.

Also how come everyone forgets Sandbending and Swampbending? Come on guys!!

Ambivalent posted:

The art direction is pretty hard in the direction of Nazis. I refuse to believe it didn't get there without someone directing the artists 'A little more Nazi."

I mean, the substance, whatever. But the aesthetic is clearly pointing you.

Every time I see those Earth Empire banners I feel like there should be dudes saluting them all the time. That's not necessarily a Nazi thing though.

e: also forgot Fartbending

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

nutranurse posted:

I thought swamp/vine bending was water-bending because you're bending the water in the vines? Or am I way off.

It's water bending yeah but no one throws swampbending into "specializations of water bending". Same with sand benders for some reason even though Toph does it in the last episode she's in. I think.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SirKibbles posted:

Yeah I just don't like that they called him evil instead of chaotic because it doesn't fit with the rest of the show.

It also goes against the basic concept of Yin and Yang which is really weird considering this is supposed to be eastern themed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DrSunshine posted:

Most favorite: Zhu Li.
Why?: She's actually super cute, and pretty awesome. Going from a background character with zero lines to being a pretty badass and formidable fighter with a spine and will of pure steel is way more character progression, in relative terms, than some of the other characters in the show.
Agreed

Least favourite: S2 Korra.
An entire season of NO, gently caress YOU DAD

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My favourite thing about lightningbending from ATLA was that it was basically implied you basically have to achieve enlightenment or just be a straight up psychopath. I guess in Korra they found some way around that because a nobody triad boss and uh, Mako, figured it out.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I remember reading somewhere that lightningbending was really rare at the time of ATLA but I guess Korra really took a big dump on firebenders in general so them being everywhere isn't that unexpected.

e:

The Sharmat posted:

It's funny how often those two things get the exact same result in this franchise. I mean Zaheer of all people achieves enlightenment. The murderous, fanatical anarchist. And Azula is a lightning bending prodigy not because she's emotionally centered, but because there's something deeply wrong with her.

If I wanted to be an overinterpreting rear end in a top hat and stir up poo poo I'd say it's some kind of negative commentary on certain interpretations of Buddhist ideas of detachment.

Well, he did kinda achieve enlightenment in that he was completely freed of all earthly attachments and fully realized his philosophy that nothing should be able to restrict his freedom. That's still a form of enlightenment!

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 25, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheMaestroso posted:

The gently caress?

Clicking on the post history of an obvious troll can open your mind to true enlightenment

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What the heck how wasn't S3 as political if not more than the other seasons? It was about a bunch of magical kung fu criminals attempting to destroy established powers structures by assassinating political and spiritual leaders. S4 happens completely because the Earth Queen is assassinated.

That being said it had more bending fights by the virtue of having multiple poweful benders as the main antagonists and that's kinda the main draw of the show in the first place. Anyone antsing for some cyberpunk or whatever Avatar is missing the point of most people wanting to see more magical kung fu involving bending the elements than dumb second rate mecha fights.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She's referring to the avatar two rows behind Aang.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think very few people would actually want to be related to Bolin considering how much of a dick he can be (end of S3 holy poo poo).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nah, seasons 1-2 are pretty low quality and no amount of upscaling will help you there. Also the first half of season 1 is pretty poop, as someone who marathoned ATLA to catch up with Korra.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can't stand Zaheer's voice for some reason I think it's because it doesn't suit his face at all.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheModernAmerican posted:

He is literally Henry Rollins, in both voice and model. So...

It just occured to me I did not even know what his speaking voice sounded like.

Ytlaya posted:

That admiral guy also has a voice that doesn't suit him at all. The guy looks like he's 25 but has the voice of a 12 year old.

General Iroh has the same voice as his grandfather Zuko in ATLA, which is just Weird As Heck.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Agni Kais are way cooler than dumb Probending, I'll tell you what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Actually, Last Air Bender is much better because the main character is a cool lil' Goku instead of the worst Avatar in the history who loving lost the Avatar past lives and brought hell to earth and is currently on an important journey to be a lesbian for the next 2 years of college

:agreed: minus the lesbian part

• Locked thread