Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sithsaber posted:

We know him as Bradley.

Spoiler Alert: the villain of season 6 will be a genderbender.

gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sithsaber posted:

Fixed that for ya.

Ps. You edited out my off topic point behind saying that.

Because your point doesn't make any sense.

Her name is Chelsea and the appropriate pronoun is "she", and if you're taking issue with that then you can eat poo poo because a basic regard for a human being's self-determination is the loving MINIMUM of respect you need to give her or ANYONE else. You went OUT OF YOUR WAY to concoct an excuse to deliberately and loudly misgender her and that's a lovely thing to do.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I lost my poo poo at that.

And then broke into tears when Toph showed up.

I'm a big dumb baby and I don't care who knows it!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DoctorX posted:

Or maybe they're setting up a Korra/Asami romance. :allears:

Like, I know it often sounds like fans are being "weird" somehow when they suggest this, but I'm all for it!

Once you strip away the bullshit homophobia it's no different from advocating LITERALLY ANY OTHER ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP.

It'd be an amazing thing to have a bisexual hero in (ostensibly) children's programming and the subtext, while not overt, seems to be available to build upon.

Of course, the strength and nature of the friendship (particularly in S3 and S4) is by itself worthy of praise, because too much media plays women against one another over stuff like boyfriends, But it'd be kickin' rad if they made the leap beyond the easily-dismissed subtext into something more concrete.

Normalizing and representing marginalized sexual identities is big-I Important, especially with regards to protecting and nurturing the self-esteem and mental health of marginalized youth. It's worth it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nichael posted:

Did anyone hear what Aang ate from that vendor? It sounded not vegetarian, but I'm not sure what he said and the Nickelodeon video player is awful for playing back things.

Sushi wraps... that don't actually have any fish in them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rewatching ATLA and man, anyone who dislikes The Headband (or, as I like to call it, Aang's Incredible Footloose Adventure!) is probably a fascist pigbear-lizarddog with bad teeth and who snores really loud :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Re: the game.

I'm dumb and basically handicapping myself by using those two talismans that double SP/XP but halve life and attack power. In effect risking getting owned by every goddamn triad group because I hit like a feather and die like grass.

Reinforce to me why this is dumb.

Don't get hit and learn to combo and your ridiculous handicap will become incredibly rewarding.

so platinum.txt, really.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TOPH'S THE BEST :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

The kids are know-it-alls, especially Jinora. And maybe it's just the way I grew up (I'm Asian), but I feel like they come off as rude when they address elders by just their name. Korra, whatever, but I feel like should have at least called Toph "Auntie Toph".

Kids should be as rude to "elders" as they like IMHO, preferably as rude as possible. The vast majority of "elders" are garbage.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kithkar posted:

This is for sure where I thought they were going with the giant Aang statue, in both seasons 1 and 2. Like a giant avatar state controlled mech.

Controlled by an NES Advantage?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Hauldren Collider posted:

Yeah I agree, and I actually like the designs. I'm just pointing out that apart from the token Asian culture cameo stuff like pagoda skyscrapers and people eating rice and dumplings, the core of Republic City culture and setting is pretty obviously derived from New York/United States. And besides even in New York you find a ton of Asian influence. New York's got a huge chinatown for instance.

EDIT: Avatar Korra park also looks quite a bit like Central Park IMO. It's all basically there. Although maybe that's because all parks basically look the same.

The park is REALLY BLATANTLY central park. It's even got that one big ol' rock thing!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay, whatever problems I've had with Prince Wu were completely forgiven with the line "I'm not like you, Mako. I wasn't raised by a pack of cops in the woods."
Amazing.

Also I don't think we're getting the romance plot return. Mike and Bryan have said they know people don't like what they do with it, and there's nothing in Mako's voice that suggests anything but total acceptance.

FIRST SPOILER: oh my god that's the best line

SECOND SPOILER: the only romance I will accept is Korrasami

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

In my opinion, aside from members of the audience who're icked out by gay couples, I think one of the biggest barriers to making gay fictional characters more mainstream is figuring out a way of doing it respectfully (not turning them into fuckbuddies), but also in a way where it's not totally superfluous to their characterization (I.E. Dumbledore).

I know a way!

You write them like any other goddamn couple on television.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

i’m jumping up and down screaming into my hands like i’m at a beatles concert OH MY GOOOOOOOD

KORRAxASAMI IS loving INDISPUTABLE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ETB posted:

KORRASAMI IS REAL AND NEVER FORGET IT.

I CAN'T loving BELIEVE IT OH MY GOOOOOD

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

MY FACE RIGHT NOW

I KNOW

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

Literally as soon as Tenzin stepped away and Asami walked up, I loving started laughing.

ACTUALLY SAME

I stood up out of my chair and covered my hands with my mouth

and as the confirmation drew closer i started bouncing up and down on my tiptoes like a literal child, screaming into my cupped hands at increasingly higher pitches until i reached a sort of ultrasonic whine and started irritating the dog

my heart rate is goddamn crazy

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I CAN'T EVEN DEAL

I CAN'T TAKE THIS

THIS IS INCREDIBLE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I AM HOOTING LIKE DAFFY DUCK

THEY SO TOTALLY KISSED OH MY GOD DON'T EVER TRY TO TELL ME OTHERWISE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ETB posted:

My downstairs neighbors must think I was insane a few minutes ago, I was literally jumping as well.

LITERALLY JUMPING FRIENDS!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, why are you guys so ecstatic about it? :confused: I mean, it was really cool and progressive and all, but personally I'm mostly happy that it didn't end in a Deus Ex Machina.

because i, and everyone else, have been half-joking all these years because we never expected this to ACTUALLY HAPPEN

and now it's REAL

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ahahahaha the official LOK tumblr didn't do a gif of ANY of the korraxasami stuff

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Apparently the creators sneakily made the ending more explicit than it was in storyboards.

ahahahah holy poo poo holy poo poo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm just glad I'm not Ravane because I hate being incredibly wrong about things that I have argued about with such extreme vitriol.

I'm glad I'm not Ravane for an awful lot of other reasons, too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

iSheep posted:

Can we also rejoice that a set up for another stupid Meelo fart joke was completed avoided?

I was kinda sad about that, actually.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

lol lol jfc just lol, this is a kid's anime show and this is how you post about it

srsly get the gently caress over yourself

Dude, chill. The Korra threads have been treated like poo poo for no really good reason and SHM isn't nearly as unreasonable as he's been caricatured.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

you do know he got this thread taken away from him, like literally because he was that bad an op right

this is a thing that happened

this is how seriously he takes a children's cartoon anime

I've been following the threads. Apart from getting Too Mad about the guessing over Amon's identity, SHM was better than a lot of other OPs I've seen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

also there was mad yonic symbolism in the double-helix spirit portal thing

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

oh btw realtalk what you're looking for is tumblr, since what you're literally asking for is a hugbox that silences any sort of meaningful discussion

There's a distinction between "wanting a tumblr hugbox" and "not appreciating bad-faith shitposting".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Akumos posted:

Eh, Mako was never really a bad guy in the show, he was pretty confused about his feelings(and apparently so were they.)

He wasn't bad-nasty, he was bad-incompetent.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

When two characters who have expressed no romantic interest in each other for 47 episodes, and who were both in straight relationships throughout the course of the series, suddenly go gay in the 48th episode for no reason.

There are traces of mutual attraction through books 3 and 4.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Akumos posted:

Considering how many relationships the show spawned, like Bolin's "relationship" with that ice bitch, it's hard to say Korrasami would even work out in the end.

Yeah, totes. Toph even talks about how sometimes relationships don't quite work out. Maybe after their Spirit World expedition, Korra and Asami find that they don't quite work as a romantic couple.

But it's still rad as hell.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Aces High posted:

There is probably a better way to word what I was trying to communicate, yes, but this is the internet so I am fully prepared for people to take what I mean out of context

case in point:

I understand that it may sound like I don't understand but what I am trying to say is that the people I have known personally were doing it for attention, like out-and-out admitted it to me so I completely understand that I am likely jaded

Being "jaded" isn't a good excuse for perpetuating harmful stereotypes about members of marginalized groups, duder.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Asami's dress is really more red than pink anyway to be honest.

they're talking about the sky

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

We're really at the dawning of a new age, because from now on you really can't be absolutely certain anymore that people are just seeing things that aren't meant to be there.

A new... SPIRITUAL age?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

T-man posted:

How many licks does it take to get to the Rava center of an Avatar?

THERE'S A JOKE I COULD BE MAKING BUT I WON'T

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I really need someone to set the Collosus + Korra v. Kuvira fight to a mashup of Collective Consciousness, It Has To Be This Way, and the main Korra theme.

Like the “Violence breeds violence” bit could TOTALLY be mashed up with the “Duuuuh duh dah dah duuuuuh” bit of the Korra music and sound fantastic but I DON’T HAVE THE SKILL TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.

But I need to see it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

mauman posted:

It would be best if it wasn't Korra.

I can forsee the ravings of a million shippers if they pulled a mai/zuko with korra/asami

what did mai and zuko break up or something?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

any list of good things with haruhi on it is a bad list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

You forgot Turn-A Gundam. :colbert:

If someone talks about any gundam show that isn't g gundam, I Turn-A-round and walk away.

• Locked thread