Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I really don't think that reading the Equalists as Communists makes much sense, since like their entire deal is breaking up the solidarity of the lower classes by (with the help of a literal capitalist captain of industry!) channeling the resentment of nonbenders against benders as a scapegoat.

Like, season one hits us over the head with the fact that bending or non-bending isn't correlated with class or social standing (Remember how there was a whole episode about how the Satos are rich as gently caress and Mako and Bolin are barely scraping by? Remember how in the last episode when they're hiding out underground with that bum in the secret Hooverville place he just out and out says that benders and nonbenders are all the same down there?), and we know from ATLA that within living memory bending as a cultural practice in three out of four nations was singled out for extermination by the fourth nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

AmiYumi posted:

Christ, this thread. Once again I am very, very glad none of you are anywhere near this show's writing room.

I don't know, I feel like the show would be a lot better if it explored moral grey areas, like "What if fascism was right?"

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

AWESOME SPOILER FROM NYCC

This is so cool I don't even care I've just been spoiled about it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 10, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Oh boy, I sure am happy that apparently [timg] tags break spoiler tags!

Sorry. :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Sato posted:

I think that could have backfired easily. The crowd at the coronation was mostly Kuvira supporters and security appeared pretty lax considering how all the world leaders were there. Kuvira's probably worth an army on her own as well considering how quickly she subdued all those bandits.If Kuvira and co managed to fight them off in front of the media it would have been a disaster.

Kuvira appears pretty popular too. Those Kuvira shirts were selling pretty briskly (or were they being given away?) in Little Ba Sing Se.

Plus we've been seeing Kuvira blackshirts everywhere, too.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

He seemed pretty much like a Galt's Gulch libertarian type, really.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

sitchelin posted:

Seeing Korra spending more time with the original avatar crew begs the question, where the gently caress is Sokka?

We've known he's dead since like the very first episode of the show. :rip:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

dj_clawson posted:

Wouldn't Korra just punching Kuvira in the face until she was defeated just be another form of fascism? It's the same thing Kuvira would do to Korra if she felt it was necessary.

Yes, perhaps fighting fascism is the real fascism.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Jackard posted:

Sorry to whoever was speculating phantom limbs earlier, none of those here :v:

I remember reading some article somewhere that even children born without limbs have some phantom limb effect, although I can't find the link anymore so maybe I'm misremembering.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Goons sure are eager to jump on board with fascism, I guess!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

You know it!

As Paradox LPs go, so goes the Korra nation.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

(Aang was pretty polite to most people.)

Flameo, Hotman.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That shot of the army approaching was some really bad CGI and I hope they shy away from big group shots of copy-pasted mechs in the future.

Big armies of CGI machines rolling towards cities are a time-honored Avatar tradition!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Stumpus posted:

Why does the avatar even care about the conquests of man?if anything doesn't her meddling unbalance the world? This is a criticism of all the avatars.

An avatars job is to bring balance between man and spirit. That's what they're qualified to do.

The avatar imposing her strength to see her ideology is carried out is an abuse. The avatars are clearly flawed individuals with their own opinions. They happen to have significant power which allows them to determine what is or is not right.

I guess what I'm saying is why is this current plot something the avatar should involve herself in. The four nations are human constructs unlike the spirit / man divide. Why can't the human world change and deal with it themselves.

I hope this show ends with the foreshadowing that Toph made that the world actually doesn't need an avatar.

I suggest thinking about what Aang's main mission back in ATLA was for like two seconds and then rethinking this post.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

Why compare Kuvira to Hitler? We don't know if she leans left or right. The Soviets and the Khmer Rouge also ran camps for dissidents.

Kuvira has literal fascist blackshirts running around in Republic City.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Couldn't somebody just count all those cute little Avatar statues at the shrines? :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This show is... good???

This Is (Not) A Bad Show

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Please, this is Nickelodeon. We can only show a character getting decapitated if their head is encased in metal and horrifically explodes.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Bongo Bill posted:

The "driver's seat" gag was incredible.

Yeah, holy poo poo.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Torquemadras posted:

I must admit, I have no idea what they mean either... Please explaaaaaiiiin

After Varrick and Bolin have their little heart-to-heart about how maybe it's not so cool to make Bolin carry him around all the time, instead of then just walking normally Varrick's just all like, "Hop in the driver seat!" and Bolin jumps on his back.

Vincent posted:

The Bolin/Varrick parts, sure. Korra getting punked once again by the big baddie is really stupid now.
Remember in TLAB when the Avatar state really meant something and made people go "holy poo poo!"? In TLoK, not so much.

Korra was totally successful in finding and rescuing Prince Wu, though? They never would have even gotten to the train station if it weren't for her spooky Avatar spirit powers!

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 15, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Realistically destroying the cannon would have only bought them some time.

Also, since the cannon is being built to attack Republic City, which is famous for its metalbending police force, they might have just built the thing out of platinum like all of the mechs and stuff are, anyway.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, there was that time they obliterated a Fire Nation fleet...

That was the Ocean spirit.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Sydin posted:

The theme carried through Korra's saving of Kuvira was excellent, and as others have pointed out much better conveyed than in the AtLA finale. Despite everything though, my favorite Korra/Kuvira scene was when Korra first launched into a victory speech, and Kuvira just hit her with a brick.

That was terrific! The whole fight was good-- I'm glad they found a way for Korra and Kuvira to just have a huge, intense, knock-down drag-out bending fight without giant robots, the avatar state, spirit kaijus, or all of those other usual last episode things getting in the way.

Also Korrasami is loving real, I can't believe it. I can't believe it.

:unsmith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

iSheep posted:

Can we also rejoice that a set up for another stupid Meelo fart joke was completed avoided?

My relief over Meelo just airbending normally was as profound as my relief that that little scene with Mako and Korra didn't end up with them getting back together.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

I don't really keep up with the new terminology. What does "ace" mean in this context?

Asexual.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel like on some level it would have made more sense to have used Vaatu as the overarching villain considering he was probably the 'biggest' villain in the whole Avatar series. It really felt weird for basically the God of Evil to be a season villain. Plus it would have been a good tie into the idea of Korra needing to focus on the spiritual side of the Avatar role.

On the other hand it would have made something like the Book 2 finale the finale of the show, which a.) probably wouldn't have been as great as what we got, but also b.) it would have deprived us of the cool thing we saw in Books 3 and 4 where we really got a sense of how much the world was changed in the wake of Vaatu's defeat.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

My jaw dropped when that happened.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It sort of genuinely makes me happy to see positive responses to Korrasami. I thought it was nice but I've honestly come around more on it since I've seen responses from some of my friends who it hits a lot closer to home for and who are just happy to see it presented in a positive way.

I rewatched the episodes with my little sister and her response was "they're like our aunts!" (who are a married lesbian couple with adopted kids) so that sold it a lot for me too.

Stuff like this matters. :unsmith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Hauldren Collider posted:

Final thought: I thought Korra and Asami had a great dynamic as *friends*. The gay lovers thing reaaaalllly cheapens that. I honestly think that them just being friends is a whole lot more interesting and satisfying.

My opinion isn't world law, if you like the lesbian thing better...fine, whatever. It annoyed me a lot.

We definitely need more close female friendships in media! However, the reason we don't see enough of them isn't a glut of same-sex relationships. It's the fact that like 90% of everything is about men.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I will say this: I am absolutely amazed, in retrospect, that they managed to keep things tense and exciting throughout almost an hour of action scenes in which only one person died, and that one death was telegraphed all to hell, and yet it never felt cheap. Yeah, it's a kid's show, but they managed to keep a much better sense of scale and rising stakes than most modern action movies, without any of the bloodshed, just through good visual storytelling.

Compare it to Michael Bay movies where there are rivers of blood and dozens of robots fight and he makes it feel small and shoddy and meaningless.

Korra's pretty good about killing just enough people for their death fakeouts to work. Last season, I really was convinced that Tenzin had just been beaten to death; this time, I was sure Mako was toast.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

Just hope they're OK with the possibility of Zaheer walking in on 'em, that's all I'm saying.

Well, he's just meditating into the Spirit World, and Korra and Asami walked into a portal, so she can just earthbend him through a tree if need be.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Eej posted:

Speaking of non-benders did Asami even get to give anyone the shocker in Season 4. My friend once told me that Korra would've been better if they just merged Mako and Asami together into a jet packing, lightning gloving non-bender who has a tempestuous on and off relationship with Korra.

I like that idea.

Didn't she zap somebody in that episode where they were looking for Wu? I might be misremembering, though.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Ambivalent posted:

The art direction is pretty hard in the direction of Nazis. I refuse to believe it didn't get there without someone directing the artists 'A little more Nazi."

I mean, the substance, whatever. But the aesthetic is clearly pointing you.

The military of Nationalist China also had the whole Nazi aesthetic going on, right down to the stahlhelms. Up until war broke out between Japan and China, there was actually a lot of cooperation between Germany and the ROC. So the aesthetics of Kuvira's army are still generally in keeping with the whole KMT/Northern Expedition thing they have going on.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Rosalind posted:

I would call Book 3 of Korra the best book we've had in the Avatar series. It was the most thematically well-crafted with a compelling set of villains.

How would everyone rank the villains? I'd say:

Red Lotus
Kuvira
Fire Nation/Ozai/Azula
Amon
Unalaq

I'd put Azula above Kuvira if I separated her from the rest of the Fire Nation though.

I think it'd definitely make sense to separate out the various Fire Nation villains since each season sort of focused on a different villain as the ultimate antagonist-- Book 1 built up to Zhao's siege of the north (although I guess you could also say Zuko was the primary antagonist of the really early episodes), Book 2's climax was Azula seizing Ba Sing Se and zapping Aang, and Book 3 was obviously all about taking down Ozai. It's not really structured like Korra, of course, since Azula was still a major antagonist in Book 3, and you had other recurring antagonists like Zuko (in Book 1 and the first half of Book 3), Combustion Man, or whoever.

So with that in mind:
1. Azula
2. Red Lotus
3. Kuvira
[...]
4. Amon
5. Zhao
6. Ozai
7. Unalaq

Azula, the Red Lotus, and Kuvira were all really good and I'm waffling a lot on the order to put 'em in.

If I were including Tarrlok, I'd put him above Amon, and if I were counting Vaatu separately from Unalaq I'd put him over Unalaq. And if Zuko counts as a "villain" he'd be... well, pretty high up there.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I think the problem with a Cold War-themed Avatar is that Korra would almost certainly be still alive, since she hasn't spent 100 years stuck in an iceberg sucking up all her Avatar juice or whatever.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

Asami will probably take care of that.

:vince:

computer parts posted:

It would almost certainly be Watchmen but not as cool.

It'd probably have better female characters than Watchmen, at least.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

"Whatever, everyone knows Amon got half of Aang's Avatar powers when Aang half-died from that lightning strike and that's how he could take away bending" -virtually everyone on this forum when the show started

Remember that photoshopped fake screencap of a decrepit old-rear end Aang under Amon's mask?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

:golfclap:

Do you have a source for that?

by stealthygc

by korraquality

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I'm so glad this is back. :swoon:

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjYRYUVjhEg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

This is ATLA and not TLOK but I still love it a lot:

by stealthygc again

She has a bunch of other ATLA/Korra stuff in her tumblr, so check it out.

EDIT: People are posting so much cool fan art in here and it's a great note for the thread to go out on, but I wish everyone would be a bit more mindful of linking to sources. :smith:

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 1, 2015

• Locked thread