Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Who's that waterbending dude with the backpack in the foggy swamp? Betting it's a new team avatar member

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
This show got a lot darker.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Haha, even Kuvira skips the Great Divide.

:golfclap:

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Rosalind posted:

Jesus Christ I have no idea what any of you are talking about but it's super gross and kinda creepy.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Dude, that episode was the loving best in all of AtLA. If this is half as good I'll be more than satisfied.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
That episode wasn't my favorite, but I am absolutely stunned at how brutal Korra's damage was. I was not expecting the whole "paraplegic for a year" thing.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
That was my thought as well. They're playing the star wars angle hard, just like they did with that guru in s2 of avatar.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Prediction: Toph's gonna lead Korra to a cave where she finds this:

edit: Or this I guess, same thing really

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 10, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Apparently the backstory is that the United Republic is made up of the former Fire Nation colonies.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
That episode loving ruled, toph is awesome, spirit nukes, holy poo poo

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Agreed. Zaofu is hosed.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Kuvira has the advantage over Unalaq of not explicitly wanting to turn herself into Energybeam Hitlerzilla.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I think it's not a superhero complex when you're literally a superhero

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Korra's status as "the first metalbending Avatar" better come up in the finale, or so help me, I'm done with this series.

I think you'll be done with the series either way.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Bolin was never average. He was a sports star from his first appearance.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Spirit nukes unleash an eldritch monster of untold power and destruction, and ONLY THE AVATAR, with the power of all four elements, can stop it and restore balance to the world

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
gently caress this episode.

Holy poo poo this is terrible.

I hope the Earth Empire murders all three of these god drat rugrats.

This is literally the worst episode of any Avatar-related anything ever, not counting the movie.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Also, totally loving called the Dagobah thing. Not that it wasn't telegraphed to hell.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Does anyone actually like Meelo, Ikki, Jinora, or Kai? Anyone? At least Kai's balls dropped, but his VA is still terrible.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I couldn't even watch through the kid sections, I found myself fast forwarding. If I had been writing this, here's what would have happened:

-Korra does Dagobah training with Toph/Yoda
-Korra learns allllll about balance and poo poo, cool stories from Toph's avatar days
-Korra and Toph grow closer and Toph softens up towards Korra
-Optional: maybe Kora finds a cool swampbender dude or something I dunno and learns some bending tricks from him, like how to make a vine golem like in AtLA
-Korra eventually does THE CAVE where she fights DARK KORRA and overcomes her FEARS
-Connects with the tree and sees Kuvira's armies marching on Zaofu (aka BESPIN)
-In a dramatic scene, she removes the metal from her own body and SETS OFF TO SAVE THE DAY

Slight variation from star wars: Toph doesn't discourage Korra from going

This is what I expected to happen, and while I am of course OK with it not playing out like this, the whole kid-search-and-rescue routine was just painful to watch.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Wellp, now that Korra's all fixed and balanced, it's time for her to return, beat up Kuvira, install Wu as God-Emperor, and bring on 10,000 years of prosperity! :haw:

He sacrifices his humanity by combining with a sandworm spirit from the desert, and with his prescient powers guides fashion trends for all of mankind

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Jackard, just skip this episode. Major plot points:

Earth Empire is going to attack Zaofu (lol like that was ever in doubt) and Korra gets collected by the kids to return to Tenzin but still has the metal and poo poo in her.

Now save yourself 20 minutes of pain.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Alternatively, watch it and experience 20 minutes of bij. :gowron:

Oh my god. I had that board game. Horrifying.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

TheModernAmerican posted:

She almost stole Mussolini's gimmick of stealing power from a monarch.

Kuvira is clearly a fascist and they're not even being subtle about it.

She even makes the trains run on time.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I watched through 3 seasons of little kids when I watched AtLA. I didn't really like Aang's voice actor but it didn't bother me that much because most of the time he wasn't insufferable and obnoxious. I can't stand the kids in this show because they're annoying, not because they act like kids.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Crabtree posted:

So are they more likely to rush to make Bolin see the light during the Zaofu campaign or are they going to actually wait until he has some real blood on his hands until he realizes how much more destructive metal fascism is compared to an impotent mixture of Third Republic ruled by Napoléon III Earth King Wu? Because I'm fine with them healing Korra in about four episodes, but I don't want them to go too fast to get back to some action or intrigue. That's how they ruined the Equalists.

Nah, Zaofu's going down. What'll happen is Bolin will have a reunion with either Opal or Korra and see the error of his ways, etc.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Seems like that was what was previously the case, c.f. Omashu having its own king. By the way, we haven't heard about Omashu at all in the entire Korra series...

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

RottenK posted:

That's only slightly better than unironically liking Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

Harsh comparison, but true.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
To be fair Dark Korra was cool and I wanna see another fight with her.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Is Korra allergic to good decisions?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
You just know she's gonna deliberately ruin Suyin's raiding party by warning Kuvira.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Bottom line: the show is not the loving West Wing or Battlestar Galactica and it was never supposed to be, get over yourselves and just enjoy it for what it is. Or don't, I'm not the fun police.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

I hear ya

Katara without hair loopies is good, Zuko with long hair is good, Jinora with no hair is good,

Agree with 1 and 2 but bald women is weird sorry

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Or you could just go watch AtLA again.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Sato posted:

The creators have always cherrypicked aspects from different cultures: Republic City was a combination of Chicago and Shanghai, and Hiroshi Sato was based on Henry Ford.

I've always seen Republic City as being more like a combination of New York and...New York. It really doesn't strike me as even slightly Asian. The thugs even have Brooklyn accents. Let's face it, the United Republic is basically America.

EDIT: And it's an accurate portrayal too--it's pretty clear that the United Republic is way more awesome and a vastly better place to live than any of the other nations. :smug: :fsmug:

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 4, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Pretty sure there's a fair amount of Art Deco going on in the architecture too, and remember that the whole first season was basically Roaring Twenties, a decidedly American cultural phenomenon. And also remember that Pagoda type things don't really show up on Asian skyscrapers.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Alternatively, it's based on 1920s/1930s New York, which was many times the size of Shanghai at the time and also heavily Art Deco influenced.

Geography's the other thing, it just looks like New York harbor. The Aang statue is obviously influenced by the Statue of Liberty as Rosalind says.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
In the first episode they talk about people being "fresh off the boat". Did 1920s Shanghai have booming immigration?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Sato posted:

Yeah, but how else are they going to show they're Asian-inspired unless the skyscrapers actually break out into Asian languages in the show? :cheeky: Not an architecture student but from what I can tell there's not much difference in skyscrapers from country to country. I don't blame them for wanting to have fun with the designs.

Yeah I agree, and I actually like the designs. I'm just pointing out that apart from the token Asian culture cameo stuff like pagoda skyscrapers and people eating rice and dumplings, the core of Republic City culture and setting is pretty obviously derived from New York/United States. And besides even in New York you find a ton of Asian influence. New York's got a huge chinatown for instance.

EDIT: Avatar Korra park also looks quite a bit like Central Park IMO. It's all basically there. Although maybe that's because all parks basically look the same.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Why is this still being argued about

Because it's interesting.

• Locked thread