Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

El Wombato posted:

all of them. every video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Heavy Lobster posted:

BrettRobb literally cannot post in a thread without calling something a WoW clone.

I can't even..

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

BrettRobb posted:

I can't even..

you're really bad at this

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

you're really bad at this

He's showing something distinctly derivative of World of Warcraft, in Diablo 3. Of all examples to point at and claim he's doing his so-called gimmick wrong... Really?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Wormskull posted:

He's showing something distinctly derivative of World of Warcraft, in Diablo 3. Of all examples to point at and claim he's doing his so-called gimmick wrong... Really?

Yeah man all the Souls games are just King's Field clones because the Moonlight Greatsword is in them too!

Oh wait no it's almost as if superficial references between franchises owned by the same company are a thing that literally everyone does and isn't indicative of any proper mechanical relationship between them.

e: gonna own up to this edit i definitely typed "king's quest" instead of "king's field" at first, sorry all

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 28, 2014

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

BrettRobb posted:

I liked titan quest, is grim dawn still $20 for like half an act of a broken game?

it's now two acts, which are good and fun. i didn't encounter any serious bugs, but it's a beta so ymmv

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think that Gearbox and Blizzard should team up and do a Diablo 3 DLC expansion in Borderlands and you could have like Claptrap as Cain and he'd be all like "Stay a while and listen, minion! Are you listening? Stay a while! Listen!" and it would be funny because he could do it for like five minutes and you could have, uh, you could have like, um, like Tiny Tina and she'd be all like "Daaaaaayumn! Is that Diablo?! Watchu talkin' bout, Adria!" and stuff like that and it would be funny because she's a girl but she talks like a black, but also there would be some serious parts where it's like "oh man oh no Cain is dead and Adria betrayed us" and the Paladin would get killed too and the Necromancer would be all like "aaaaaaa you killed my golem I'm going to swear vengeance on you, like a whole bunch of it," and it would be serious and wacky also.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Heavy Lobster posted:

Yeah man all the Souls games are just King's Field clones because the Moonlight Greatsword is in them too!

Oh wait no it's almost as if superficial references between franchises owned by the same company are a thing that literally everyone does and isn't indicative of any proper mechanical relationship between them.

e: gonna own up to this edit i definitely typed "king's quest" instead of "king's field" at first, sorry all

hold up is this fag legit getting defensive about some diablo 3/wow comparison in the imp zone

pretty lol if true

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

BrettRobb posted:

I can't even..

The sword originated from Diablo 2 not WoW you plebian. It was added in WoW since it was cut from Diablo 2. It looked cool and sounded cool so they salvaged it from the cutting room floor.

The hidden dimensions in the description is a reference to the sword being in the D2 files but never making it to the public servers.

Also I really hate the word grinding being thrown around without people realizing what it means. Grinding is a mundane, predictable, and tedious long-term task that is a way to get to the actual fun parts of the game. Diablo 3 is anything but grinding because it's based around short games and it keeps throwing the action at you so nothing becomes predictable. This is why people find monster hunter fun as well, matches are over in a half hour and the boss battles are fun with the deep combat system that keeps you on your feet.

People just use it as a catch all now for poo poo they have to run more than once but less than a dozen times.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 28, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this thread is getting really serious

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

The sword originated from Diablo 2 not WoW you plebian. It was added in WoW since it was cut from Diablo 2. It looked cool and sounded cool so they salvaged it from the cutting room floor.

The hidden dimensions in the description is a reference to the sword being in the D2 files but never making it to the public servers.

Also I really hate the word grinding being thrown around without people realizing what it means. Grinding is a mundane, predictable, and tedious long-term task that is a way to get to the actual fun parts of the game. Diablo 3 is anything but grinding because it's based around short games and it keeps throwing the action at you so nothing becomes predictable. This is why people find monster hunter fun as well, matches are over in a half hour and the boss battles are fun with the deep combat system that keeps you on your feet.

People just use it as a catch all now for poo poo they have to run more than once but less than a dozen times.

usually i read every word of every taint reaper post but it looks like that's finally come to an end my eyes just go crosseyed trying to read this poo poo

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

AHungryRobot posted:

seriously though more arpgs need controller support or wasd movement. i can't go back to mouse movement after playing console diablo

WSAD please, keep all the menus and spell targeting the same but let me tell the game where I want to walk with buttons not clicks.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

diablo 3 is probably the second most boring arpg i have ever played, only titan quest is worse.

play marvel heroes if you just wanna blow poo poo up and collect shiny poo poo

play path of exile if you want a game with bad net-code that forces you to actually
think about and examine the poo poo you are doing

play borderlands 2 to do a stripped down version of an arpg but with guns

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think that Gearbox and Blizzard should team up and do a Diablo 3 DLC expansion in Borderlands and you could have like Claptrap as Cain and he'd be all like "Stay a while and listen, minion! Are you listening? Stay a while! Listen!" and it would be funny because he could do it for like five minutes and you could have, uh, you could have like, um, like Tiny Tina and she'd be all like "Daaaaaayumn! Is that Diablo?! Watchu talkin' bout, Adria!" and stuff like that and it would be funny because she's a girl but she talks like a black, but also there would be some serious parts where it's like "oh man oh no Cain is dead and Adria betrayed us" and the Paladin would get killed too and the Necromancer would be all like "aaaaaaa you killed my golem I'm going to swear vengeance on you, like a whole bunch of it," and it would be serious and wacky also.

I would rather have a diablo themed expansion for borderlands than the literal wow expansion that is d3.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i could poop a better game design than diablo 3s in my sleep

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Heavy Lobster posted:

:stonk:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i have a great idea for a game in a genre where becoming broken as gently caress and doing everything as fast as possible is always the goal

lets do neither of those things. in fact lets make it so that players must play the game slower as their power increases in order to collect more loot

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

i have a great idea for a game in a genre where becoming broken as gently caress and doing everything as fast as possible is always the goal

lets do neither of those things. in fact lets make it so that players must play the game slower as their power increases in order to collect more loot

Yes.. my power grows!! *Puts thirteenth point in "increase minimum damage of one handed swords" skill circle* The revolution is coming, gamers.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

Yes.. my power grows!! *Puts thirteenth point in "increase minimum damage of one handed swords" skill circle* The revolution is coming, gamers.

your a loving idiot and you like diablo 3 and blizzard games lmbo

great way to make a sequel tho. throw out all of the good things about the game before it, keep the bad things, and try your damnedest to artificially inflate the amount of time anyone has to play it for

just loving brilliant and people like you rush to defend this god damned stupidity good job

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

your a loving idiot and you like diablo 3 and blizzard games lmbo

great way to make a sequel tho. throw out all of the good things about the game before it, keep the bad things, and try your damnedest to artificially inflate the amount of time anyone has to play it for

just loving brilliant and people like you rush to defend this god damned stupidity good job

you know they eventually wised up and put the guy who made all the d3 design choices on a project they later canned right

launch diablo 3 was a terrible experience i would wish on no one but it's almost as if games can improve over time in this crazy era of the internet

also wow is a relic, heroes of the storm is microtransactioned to hell, and the reason why starcraft was as popular as it was was because of balance decisions/an expansion made by a dev house outside of blizzard, which is why sc2 is a wreck even with literal years to not be. but yeah blizzard is pretty d0pe lol, love 2 play blizzgames

e: At the end of the day what I'm trying to say is that PoE is about a degree away from Eve only dressed up to appeal to the fantasy crowd which makes it worse than D3 only on condition, all games should just be playthrough 3 of Titan Quest because that's when all the fun loot started to drop (which is a problem in its own right). It is a Bad Genre, the ARPG.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 28, 2014

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
eve online is a Bad Game but comparing it to poe is just cruel

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You people who like playing POE must like playing games where you have to type a text command every 5 seconds. I prefer to not have to type when I play a game.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

you know they eventually wised up and put the guy who made all the d3 design choices on a project they later canned right

launch diablo 3 was a terrible experience i would wish on no one but it's almost as if games can improve over time in this crazy era of the internet

also wow is a relic, heroes of the storm is microtransactioned to hell, and the reason why starcraft was as popular as it was was because of balance decisions/an expansion made by a dev house outside of blizzard, which is why sc2 is a wreck even with literal years to not be. but yeah blizzard is pretty d0pe lol, love 2 play blizzgames

e: At the end of the day what I'm trying to say is that PoE is about a degree away from Eve only dressed up to appeal to the fantasy crowd which makes it worse than D3 only on condition, all games should just be playthrough 3 of Titan Quest because that's when all the fun loot started to drop (which is a problem in its own right). It is a Bad Genre, the ARPG.

i played ros, it's better than launch d3, and might actually be a good "game" but it's a loving terrible arpg.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

You people who like playing POE must like playing games where you have to type a text command every 5 seconds. I prefer to not have to type when I play a game.

god yeah hold on let me defend poes netcode that's a thing i'm going to do

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Heavy Lobster posted:

:stonk:

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i can't handle having to choose my level up bonuses i would rather just have the game give me generic poo poo thanks

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

NecroMonster posted:

i can't handle having to choose my level up bonuses i would rather just have the game give me generic poo poo thanks

hell yeah do i take 3% more damage with axes....or 3% damage with SWORDS???? my choices are limitless, in Path of Exile

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sword_man.gif posted:

hell yeah do i take 3% more damage with axes....or 3% damage with SWORDS???? my choices are limitless, in Path of Exile

you are right never making any choices is better

i can't handle them you see

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

i played ros, it's better than launch d3, and might actually be a good "game" but it's a loving terrible arpg.

i'm okay with this

NecroMonster posted:

this too

accruing numbers is not meaningful decisionmaking

e:

NecroMonster posted:

lol if you think people not liking PoE's passives are their dumb gamer babby brains not being able to comprehend their True Ramification rather than it being tedious busywork that you have to minmax properly in order to survive past playthrough 1 where the majority of the gameplay is

it's almost as if some people like blowing poo poo up in increasingly entertaining ways rather than patting themselves on the dick for learning how many points of Strength is optimal before their miss chance catches up to them

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 28, 2014

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

NecroMonster posted:

i'm glad you realized. thank you for coming to your senses.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That's a good point. Thanks for reminding me that poe, a game that literally make you type /sync once a minute, is still a better game than Diablo 3

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

you mean accruing numbers isn't necessarily meaningful decision making. however when those numbers are a choice that prevents other numbers from being chosen, it is in fact meaningful, if rather boring decision making.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

you mean accruing numbers isn't necessarily meaningful decision making. however when those numbers are a choice that prevents other numbers from being chosen, it is in fact meaningful, if rather boring decision making.

i like to have fun, playing video games

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

i like to have fun, playing video games

me too, luckily poe does contain many fun things some of which even include meaningful decision making

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
; Path Of Exile Sync Script 1.0

#IfWinActive Path of Exile
SendMode Input
{
Alt::
Send {enter}
Sleep 20
Send {Alt} /oos {enter}
Sleep 20
Return
}

a good game

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I did not expect people to keep posting in this thread after 2 hours from its creation

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
ppl really like arguing which of their bad games is less bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

koolkal posted:

; Path Of Exile Sync Script 1.0

#IfWinActive Path of Exile
SendMode Input
{
Alt::
Send {enter}
Sleep 20
Send {Alt} /oos {enter}
Sleep 20
Return
}

a good game

i think you miss the point that, despite the /oos command being super duper god damned helpful at some points in path of exile (gently caress you haku missions) because the netcode is simply not good, the game is still vastly better than diablo 3

• Locked thread