Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

also why the gently caress the game doesn't simply allow you to bind it to something, and tell you about it's existence, is a loving mystery and a crime perhaps worse than the necessity of the drat thing in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

i played ros, it's better than launch d3, and might actually be a good "game" but it's a loving terrible arpg.

what

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

NecroMonster posted:

me too, luckily poe does contain many fun things some of which even include meaningful decision making

Alright I'm gonna actually Seriouspost on this because I think that PoE has a very interesting and novel approach to the ARPG but is mired in really bad game design, namely the idea that you have to earn your fun.

I think that the passive web is pretty neat, and does allow for a lot of experimentation in builds and other cool stuff which, at its core, is done as a way to let you have a lot of freedom in playing the class you want to play. All of this is really more in theory however because in order to have any sort of meaningful choices in the passive tree you have to level up a character and play through the same sections of content several times over in order to actually do anything interesting with the passive tree. Leveling up feels like a chore because you don't notice +1.5% Dodge Chance whenever you get it in half hour increments, but you'd sure as hell notice it if you could get the full benefits of the tree right away, and be able to change it at will.

So, instead of having to progress through a bunch of negligible, tiny stat increases over hours of play before you finally get to play the character you want to play, PoE would be infinitely better if it just fuckin let you have it all to begin with because then you can actually play the game and have fun rather than endure something you only sort-of want to play to get to the point you actually want to play. This has the added benefit of being able to do special game modes or challenges where you have a lower total budget of skill points and you have to work within them to make the best build possible (for example, do I beeline for the game-changer passive or pick up a stronger but also more unreliable stat array?), with the focus actually being on the passives rather than having to put up with unfun gameplay to get to the Good Parts.

Anyway that's a whole lot of words to basically say PoE is a good concept with lovely and old-guard design and that video games should on the whole be designed more like board games in regards to progression mechanics not being a boring slog

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 29, 2014

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

this, but at all the posts in this thread

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

you might simply not like arpgs because the genre is sort of built on the idea that you need to earn your fun

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

you might simply not like arpgs because the genre is sort of built on the idea that you need to earn your fun

ARPGs are, it turns out, a bad genre. Some are just slightly less bad than others.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i love them, but i can understand why others may not

but gosh diablo 3 is loving miserable

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

Heavy Lobster posted:

It is a Bad Genre, the ARPG.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i don't share but can understand that opinion

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Path of Exile is for clownass fucktards.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

i don't share but can understand that opinion

This is actually a reasonable/level-headed response, so good on you.

I'm curious what you don't like about D3 though. I mean obviously you don't like the whole lack of choice thing but I've found that D3 can absolutely scratch the same "weird gimmick build" itch that PoE does only it takes as long as opening up my skill menu and slotting stuff in rather than leveling up an entire character and rerolling gear until I can actually use the moves I want.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The single good thing about Path of Exile, which is the race leagues and crap, is wasted because the rest of it is a piece of poo poo.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

This is actually a reasonable/level-headed response, so good on you.

I'm curious what you don't like about D3 though. I mean obviously you don't like the whole lack of choice thing but I've found that D3 can absolutely scratch the same "weird gimmick build" itch that PoE does only it takes as long as opening up my skill menu and slotting stuff in rather than leveling up an entire character and rerolling gear until I can actually use the moves I want.

Increasing gear drop rates, and thus increasing the real builds and options i have access to, requires slowing down the rate at which I am actually able to clear content.

It's loving gay retarded poo poo.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Diablo 3 would be a good game if it wasn't always online btw, you know so real smart people can fix the dumb retarded gently caress idiot poo poo blizzard does.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i guess the exact same arguments can be made for fixing linked gear drop rates and poe's netcode tho

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

i played ros, it's better than launch d3, and might actually be a good "game" but it's a loving terrible arpg.

no really, what

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
:yikes:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder if that new borderlands will be good now that it isn't being made by Anthony "The Amazing Cuckhold" Burch and friends.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder if that new borderlands will be good now that it isn't being made by Anthony "The Amazing Cuckhold" Burch and friends.

The pre-sequel? Pretty sure burch is still doing the writing for that.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

i dunno but i do know that it looks good and it apparently doesn't have the just miserable health scaling problem bl2 had.

hopefully the drop rates will just be not poo poo and it'll be the best in the series.

im still going to feel like the gear is pretty shallow but whatever i can deal with that

they also apparently got rid of all the meme poo poo, and assault on dragon keep was actually pretty drat well written when you look past a bunch of dumb baggage from bl2

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

AHungryRobot posted:

The pre-sequel? Pretty sure burch is still doing the writing for that.

I heard it was being made by Australians. Which doesn't give me high hopes but Australia > Texas IMO.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5_DOSvsjPw

it looks pretty drat good, and i don't see any way tiny tina can be in it

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
it is but burch is still on board so if you though bl2's writing was obnoxious then the writing in the pre-sequel probably won't be much better. good to hear about the scaling though. hopefully they increase the drop rates because jesus christ BL2 has some of the most woefully stingy drop rates i've ever loving seen.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bl2 is a real frigging good game if you run a drop rate hack

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I changed the voice-overs to Japanese in Borderlands 2 because I figured if I had to hear annoying dialog, it should be in a language I do not understand nor ever will understand. Littled did I know what I had unleashed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abbvGxgBrrM

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i really, really like diablo3 on ps3! with a controller is how those arpgs are meant to be played
:getin:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

VideoGames posted:

i really, really like diablo3 on ps3! with a controller is how those arpgs are meant to be played
:getin:

drat straight :respek:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

NecroMonster posted:

that idea is poo poo and should die

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i like PoE a lot but it it would be way more fun to play if the devs listened to this:

Heavy Lobster posted:

Alright I'm gonna actually Seriouspost on this because I think that PoE has a very interesting and novel approach to the ARPG but is mired in really bad game design, namely the idea that you have to earn your fun.

I think that the passive web is pretty neat, and does allow for a lot of experimentation in builds and other cool stuff which, at its core, is done as a way to let you have a lot of freedom in playing the class you want to play. All of this is really more in theory however because in order to have any sort of meaningful choices in the passive tree you have to level up a character and play through the same sections of content several times over in order to actually do anything interesting with the passive tree. Leveling up feels like a chore because you don't notice +1.5% Dodge Chance whenever you get it in half hour increments, but you'd sure as hell notice it if you could get the full benefits of the tree right away, and be able to change it at will.

So, instead of having to progress through a bunch of negligible, tiny stat increases over hours of play before you finally get to play the character you want to play, PoE would be infinitely better if it just fuckin let you have it all to begin with because then you can actually play the game and have fun rather than endure something you only sort-of want to play to get to the point you actually want to play. This has the added benefit of being able to do special game modes or challenges where you have a lower total budget of skill points and you have to work within them to make the best build possible (for example, do I beeline for the game-changer passive or pick up a stronger but also more unreliable stat array?), with the focus actually being on the passives rather than having to put up with unfun gameplay to get to the Good Parts.

Anyway that's a whole lot of words to basically say PoE is a good concept with lovely and old-guard design and that video games should on the whole be designed more like board games in regards to progression mechanics not being a boring slog

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

that trailer is super obnoxious

look at our game its CRAZY and WHACKY

bazinga

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Why do PC gamers pretend that diablogames are "action rpgs" when there are actual action games that are also rpgs that exist, while diablo is about clicking and waiting for timers to run down

Its the least engaging "action" imaginable

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

ForeverSmug posted:

Why do PC gamers pretend that diablogames are "action rpgs" when there are actual action games that are also rpgs that exist, while diablo is about clicking and waiting for timers to run down

Its the least engaging "action" imaginable

Try adjusting your difficulty settings in the Options menu, op

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wormskull posted:

Path of Exile is for clownass fucktards.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Look! More hidden footprints!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Resident Evil 4. You play the role of Leon Kennedy on an assignment to rescue the president's daughter from a strange Spanish cult. As the game progresses you increase your health, armour, inventory space and arsenal. Leon is both a skilled martial artist and an able marksmen, and players will need to make the most of his abilities in order to survive.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Serious Post: Really glad the terrible post picture from D3 hasn't been beaten to death in this thread at all.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

So I haven't played since they got rid of the RMAH after abusing the act 4 Inferno warp glitch and breaking pots to make money off of retards

Is the game still Beeablo 3 with invulnerable minions horde mortar fire chains bees that shoot projectiles that turn invisible or did they fix that poo poo?

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Widestancer posted:

So I haven't played since they got rid of the RMAH after abusing the act 4 Inferno warp glitch and breaking pots to make money off of retards

Is the game still Beeablo 3 with invulnerable minions horde mortar fire chains bees that shoot projectiles that turn invisible or did they fix that poo poo?

Invincible minions are gone, they've changed so that elites don't get 4 attack abilities. The main game mode is adventure, where you'll just warp around and spam your magic/weapons on dudes for rewards without caring about the story. Pet's can actually tank. You can choose your own difficulty for higher chance at loot. It is a better game than at launch.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Azraelle posted:

Invincible minions are gone, they've changed so that elites don't get 4 attack abilities. The main game mode is adventure, where you'll just warp around and spam your magic/weapons on dudes for rewards without caring about the story. Pet's can actually tank. You can choose your own difficulty for higher chance at loot. It is a better game than at launch.

I might have to give this a shot if any imps play. My gear is set up largely to be able to tank through the fire on old school release month Inferno, I take it you don't need that level of survivability anymore?

That would be nice. It sucked having to use string of ears for the dr on a barbarian and to have to use force armor and life regeneration to cheese through things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i play. just got to act 3. i only started playing after the intro of patch 2.0 which is when someone said diablo3 is finally a good game. its my first diablo and hell yeah really like it

tried playing diablo2 but didnt like how nothing stacks and after like 7 enemies my inv was full of single potions n poo poo. is there some mods i should be using for diablo2?

• Locked thread