Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Arachnamus posted:

Front and rear, right?

It's a Viper, the "Front" tires will wind up in the back eventually. :mmmhmm:

(I kid, Das Volk.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I'm jealous. Had to do some tires on the previous gen Viper on after market rims at 335/30/20 and it took me four hours to do both without damaging anything. I'm sure you werent planning on bringing it down to Joe's discount tire shack for rubber but in all honesty the 335s were within millimeters of being too wide for our balancer. I'd reccomend finding someone well in advance capable of handling the job because in my entire nearly 9 year run slinging tires that Viper was hands down the most difficult I've ever had to do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I can only hope that if we manage to end up with two Viper owners in here, that we don't shortly end up back down to one or none for reasons other than GM FCA quality control.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
holy moly.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I take full credit for giving you this idea.

Anyways, I went and test drove one today and loved it. Easy to drive, absolutely absurd amounts of power, and the sidepipes sound fantastic.

Since the dealer tried to screw me with an insane lowball offer of $58k for my 2012 GTR, I'm going to shop around a bit more but I think one of these will be my next car.

make this ai's next miata

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder how much a used Viper costs now?

e: Holy poo poo, that's dangerously low.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The scary thing is that original 1992 Vipers are only about 2 years from being registrable as historical vehicles in Ohio.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

meatpimp posted:

The scary thing is that original 1992 Vipers are only about 2 years from being registrable as historical vehicles in Ohio.

This is a very cool thought, though goddamn does it make me feel old.

I am anxiously awaiting a video of this beast.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
What would you have gotten had you not bought this?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gently caress, this is around the corner from me. I want it so bad.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/603947972/overview/

And it's the best color. :swoon:

...I can't afford it. :sigh:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 29, 2014

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
That's the lovely thing about being in a different market. You can buy an almost-new Aston Martin for that price over here instead, though

I've been looking at getting a Corvette C6 (how appropriate for this thread...), and the prices in the UK are ridiculous compared to what they are in the States. I would/will probably end up flying out to buy one and having it shipped home myself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Buy a TVR and make the Americans understand what "I'm worried my composite sportscar will kill me" really means.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Awesome car, please take track day videos so we can live vicariously through you.

This is like the one car I would consider selling body parts to own, because I'll never afford one otherwise and I want one so. loving. bad.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

That's the lovely thing about being in a different market. You can buy an almost-new Aston Martin for that price over here instead, though

I've been looking at getting a Corvette C6 (how appropriate for this thread...), and the prices in the UK are ridiculous compared to what they are in the States. I would/will probably end up flying out to buy one and having it shipped home myself.

Well, you can get a brand new V8 Vantage GT for $99k in the US, so it's pretty close in price. It'll just be way, way slower.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The problem is the body panels are expensive as poo poo to replace if you wreck it. Think Lotus Elise clamshell expensive. I think headlights alone are about $500 a peice. That's for the older ones though.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Congratulations on the purchase! Very excited to see how the car works out for you. How's that V10 scream? I demand some GoPro footage :colbert:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Somehow the insurance is only $400 more a year than the M3.

I ran my gopro tonight but all I hear is wind noise, even with the closed back on, so I'll have to do it again while recording audio separately.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
For now we'll have to do with a start & rev: http://youtu.be/oZy-K0gut_U

Also this:

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 30, 2014

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Congrats on the purchase! I'm a little surprised to see you move away from BMW but bigger and better things await.

It's funny how buying a sports car can make it OK to drive it off the lot with a problem like "the stereo doesn't play anything." I once bought a car where the driver side door didn't work and it still managed to be one of the best days ever.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It's fascinating seeing people grow out of the BMW products. My uncle basically had the same journey as you, only he's a little further ahead. He had a Viper for a while, did the GTR for a bit, and now has settled on Rally Fighter.

More vids of viper plz.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If Cflynn buys a viper can we have an official AI pool for how many pictures he posts of it within the first year?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Das Volk posted:

For now we'll have to do with a start & rev: http://youtu.be/oZy-K0gut_U

Also this:

Dammit I love that V10 sound. It gets a lot of hate because of the burbly idle, but I love that lazy howl that it makes.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Thanks for the start-up vid, Das! Car sounds mean as poo poo. Any mods planned or are you keeping it stock?

angryhampster posted:

Dammit I love that V10 sound. It gets a lot of hate because of the burbly idle, but I love that lazy howl that it makes.

I never want to speak to someone who hates a V10. This sounds stupid, but it sounds like basically two independent 5 cyl motors at the same time, and one 5 cyl motor alone sounds orgasmic.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

GramCracker posted:

Thanks for the start-up vid, Das! Car sounds mean as poo poo. Any mods planned or are you keeping it stock?

I never want to speak to someone who hates a V10. This sounds stupid, but it sounds like basically two independent 5 cyl motors at the same time, and one 5 cyl motor alone sounds orgasmic.

Most car guys love V10s, but a lot some to dislike the sound of the Viper V10.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

GramCracker posted:

I still remember the first (and only) time I saw a Porsche Carrera GT - I was in Paris and caught this yellow car out of the corner of my eye, my jaw dropped when I realized what it was. It came to a stop across the street at a red light in front of this theatre which was just letting out, and the car got swarmed by a bunch of tourists taking pictures with it. The light goes green and the driver goes wide open throttle - I can still remember how mesmerizing it sounded 8 years later.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

KillHour posted:

gently caress, this is around the corner from me. I want it so bad.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/603947972/overview/

And it's the best color. :swoon:

...I can't afford it. :sigh:

They just cut the price of a brand new Viper by $15k to bring it down to $85k. How can that dealer justify selling a USED 2013 for $92k? I feel bad for the poor uninformed sap who buys that thinking he's getting a "killer deal".

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

The Midniter posted:

They just cut the price of a brand new Viper by $15k to bring it down to $85k. How can that dealer justify selling a USED 2013 for $92k? I feel bad for the poor uninformed sap who buys that thinking he's getting a "killer deal".

I'm curious how long it will take the used market to catch up. I did a search on Autotrader and I think I found one below 80 but otherwise it's like no one got the memo.

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009

The Midniter posted:

That's £91,000 not $91,000. So that's actually near enough $150,000.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

pmMike posted:

I found a local dealership trying to sell an unused 2013 for $133K Cdn
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...gationFlag=true

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

pmMike posted:

Wat?

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009

Double Wat!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Are you in the UK? If so, I'm guessing it's guessing your currency based on your region.

If you're not in the UK...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I dunno.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Midniter posted:

Are you in the UK? If so, I'm guessing it's guessing your currency based on your region.

If you're not in the UK...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I dunno.

But it's the same number. So they'd have to detect the local currency, but then just swap the $ for a £ and otherwise not convert the value. Triple wat.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't that how pricing for ROW always works though? :D

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Raluek posted:

But it's the same number. So they'd have to detect the local currency, but then just swap the $ for a £ and otherwise not convert the value. Triple wat.

It's intensely lazy localization is what it is.

Software is ruining everything.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
taking a leaf our of Adobe's pricing book I see.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

It's intensely lazy localization is what it is.

Software is ruining everything.

It's even worse than that. It's not geo-locating; it's taking the currency symbol from your browser's language settings. I tried to get a laff-worthy screenshot of ¥91,850 but it just showed up as ?91,850. Not as funny.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Raluek posted:

It's even worse than that. It's not geo-locating; it's taking the currency symbol from your browser's language settings. I tried to get a laff-worthy screenshot of ¥91,850 but it just showed up as ?91,850. Not as funny.

Oh lord those loving jokers.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Came for the thread about an AI guy buying a truly I-level Viper, stayed for the 30 new posts about a Buffalo used car dealer's website not converting every currency in the world correctly using up to the minute conversion rates

edit: I just bought the car for $918 thanks to my laptop's local currency setting

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Raluek posted:

just swap the $ for a £ and otherwise not convert the value.

To be honest, that's how the price of most things end up working out in the UK :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

To be honest, that's how the price of most things end up working out in the UK :(

And that is pretty much why I left. I do miss being able to drive to the Nurburgring in 4 hours though.

• Locked thread