Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just read up on this thread, looking forward to reaching the end and congratulating DV along with the rest of yez, but daaaamn.

You've got to get your bad Viper karma out of the way early on, though. I don't have experience with the new gen, but everything I've seen of the G3/G4 era is that they're tanks. I have an '04 (in black, nice choice! yours really integrates the shoulder scoops well) with a supercharger good for around 750hp, and it's been the most trouble-free thing I've ever seen. And wow has it been through a lot.

If you're still sweet on the car (and I would be), don't give up now. The noise it makes and the presence it carries on the road never gets old. And there's still nobody touching it performance-wise, certainly not for the price.

What's the diagnosis? How did it manage to throw a rod? That engine is super tried and true by this point. You wouldn't have spun a bearing unless you decided to go without oil for a day or something, and you don't sound like the type...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So in other words he does sound like the type? :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Will your red-phone concierge be able to help you with that, or are you going to be stuck trying to accuse the same dealership you got the thing from (and want a new car from) of shenanigans?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Supposedly one of the biggest causes of Viper-related spinout death is missing the 3-4 shift and putting it in 2nd.

Not sure how much stock to put in it (it's never felt like an imminent danger to me), but the trick I've always paranoidly used is "thumb up for 1-3, thumb down for 4-6".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will always read it as "Dodge Drat"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cursedshitbox posted:

His mom had one, and it was stolen.

His mom stole a Corolla?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like how the rod helpfully dug a big enough hole in the block for you to see through.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I lost a Variocam solenoid in mine after about 10K miles. Other than that it was a rock, but after reading all the IMS stuff I'm glad I got rid of it when I did.

Maybe I'm misreading, but how did waxing it kill your FCM?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm partial to that "copperhead" color:

Not only does it look great, it also makes sure you know it's a Viper, because not many other cars wear it so iconically.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or that the old rich guy put himself and his cadre of acolytes into Vipers, was all like "On my mark! AND!" and they all screeched out across the auto mall expressway and rolled across the median in unison.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KozmoNaut posted:

E: Then again, I managed to get rammed from behind by a very inattentive lady because I braked for an ambulance. It was harder braking than normal, but nowhere near actual emergency braking, and she still managed to lock up her brakes from 50 or 60 kph and hit me.

How do you even manage to lock up your brakes in this day and age? What percentage of cars on the road are pre-ubiquitous-ABS anyway?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trade it all for WHAT'S IN THE BOX

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What the gently caress is Ford up to lately, first that flat-plane Mustang and now...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ApathyGifted posted:

They shouldn't have given it a name that literally means Grand Tourer then, no matter how much heritage it has at the company.

Neither should Ferrari have called the 599 a GTO, blah blah blah.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The premium-regular price spread varies wildly even within an area. On the local highways in northern NJ, you'll pay like 80 cents extra for 93 versus 87, but on the side streets it can be 30 or 20.

I like that they've recently given up charging extra for using a credit card, for some reason.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also Clarkson forgot there are other superlatives in the language than "incredible".

Yes this has always bugged me

• Locked thread