Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, piggyback rides are cute, at least.

To festoon means to put up a whole bunch of decorations all over the place like you're having a feast. Or, in French, a feston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game isn't bad, so much as it's just forgettable. The sense of plot progression is missing for reasons that should become extremely apparent as the LP goes on, and there's no overworld to explore. There's a hub area, which detracts significantly from the appeal of backtracking. Hell, there's really not much reason to backtrack at all in this game, since most of your powers find use only in the areas past when you get them.

That said, I really did like it. The 4-character gimmick was one I enjoyed (especially since you often end up controlling only 2 at a time,) the plot wasn't too terrible (and was honestly pretty great at parts,) and the battles were leagues better than in any other RPG series. It's just a shame that it feels so short, since you only ever really have 1 goal of note in the game until the end. Not as good as SS or BIS, but still a fun game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As someone who really enjoyed Superstar Saga, I admit I passed over the sequels due to reasons (mainly financial), so I am looking forward to this LP. I will also support the notion that dear sweet Jesus Christ do the tutorials (at least in Superstar Saga) get stretched out and become annoying. It hurts the replayability of these games because you have to go through those tutorials all over again.

As for this game....goddamn, Toadsworth, you are a dick. Someone remind me, why does Peach keep him around again?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

AradoBalanga posted:

As someone who really enjoyed Superstar Saga, I admit I passed over the sequels due to reasons (mainly financial), so I am looking forward to this LP. I will also support the notion that dear sweet Jesus Christ do the tutorials (at least in Superstar Saga) get stretched out and become annoying. It hurts the replayability of these games because you have to go through those tutorials all over again.

As for this game....goddamn, Toadsworth, you are a dick. Someone remind me, why does Peach keep him around again?

It'd be a bit better if Peach's castle had anything more to do in it or at least a few funny unique NPCs. Without that, it's just a reminder of the fun you could possibly have exploring the past Mushroom Kingdom instead.

As for Toadsworth, I assume he does all the royal duties that Peach can't considering she spends half her life as someone's hostage.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

AradoBalanga posted:

Nah it's not just Superstar Saga. I'm currently going through Dream Team, I'm 25 or so hours in and the game just gave me a new tutorial. :suicide:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Dream Team is probably the worst about the whole tutorials thing, but somehow the tutorials were the least annoying thing to me in that game. Because it had so many problems that were a lot worse.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ChaosArgate posted:

Nah it's not just Superstar Saga. I'm currently going through Dream Team, I'm 25 or so hours in and the game just gave me a new tutorial. :suicide:

The problem isn't that there are new tutorials; the problem is that most of them are intuitive. Take Superstar Saga: things like the lightning and fire powers needed some explaining, but the hammers were self-explanatory, and the bros. attacks were almost all extremely obvious. More tutorial areas instead of outright hand-holding would make things much better.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Paper Mario wasn't very tutorial heavy if I recall right, I mean you got a short tutorial whenever you got a new partner but as far as I'm aware, the game just left you to it mostly.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I can't speak to the original Paper Mario, but the second did give you fresh tutorials for each new paper power. But... they were also in the form of jokes so it wasn't half as obtrusive as in Dream Team.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My biggest issues with this game (other than the obvious Tutorials) are that I don't like the babies, and that I'd much rather have Navi than Stuffwell.

Oh, and the minions attacking in Bowser's Castle? That's because they don't know that the Brothers and Bowser are kinda working together. From their point of view, the Brothers are intruders.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Charles Martinet is a national treasure and all y'all should follow him on twitter if you have an account. In fact, make an account to follow him.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Charles Martinet is a national treasure and all y'all should follow him on twitter if you have an account. In fact, make an account to follow him.

PLEASE GO DO THIS IT IS THE BEST THING.

On that note, let's get out of Bowser's Castle now.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kamek's first appearance was as an enemy type in Super Mario World, which was reprized in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Kamek's first appearance was as an enemy type in Super Mario World, which was reprized in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Those were magikoopas, I think. Kamek is the first one to have a name if I'm right.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

He wasn't called Kamek until Yoshi's Island, as you said, the ones in Super Mario World were just generic nameless Magikoopas.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
Tripped over this thread while trying to search for a different Mario thread. I really enjoyed the previous LPs of this game series and will be following this one too. They're always so charming!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

This was set to go up tomorrow but I realized that I don't think I can really get a post and stuff ready in time on Mondays because I have class til like midday so let's see how well I can keep to a Sunday schedule.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Oh hey, an LP of this game, cool. I remember liking it back when I was younger, but the very final boss stretch was too goddamn annoying for me to actually bother finishing this game back then. I recently picked up Bowsers Inside Story for the first time though, and loved every second of it. I was thinking of picking this game up again to finally finish it after the fact, but I guess I don't have to now!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Okay, I get the Toadsworth stuff is supposed to be funny, but dear lord was that part annoying and unnecessary. :ughh:

I mean, Toadsworth had his overprotective attitude of Peach in Superstar Saga, but it was limited to a few quick scenes (15 seconds tops, IIRC), not long drawn out ones like here that interrupted the gameplay.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Darn, I got tired of waiting for an LP of this game and just played through it a few weeks ago. I was really craving some more Mario & Luigi after playing the other games, and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the painful slog that my memories led me to believe. It's not great, compared to the other games in the series, but it's not a terrible game by any means. I guess my recollection of it just focused on the parts I disliked from playing through it years ago, and built it up into something much worse than it actually is. Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing it from another perspective in the videos.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 20, 2014

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if it's the same in the mushroom kingdom, but Cobalt-60 is a (synthetic) radioactive isotope of Cobalt. It is relatively dangerous, emitting Gamma radiation that is very difficult to shield against. It has a light blue glow and has many uses in radioactive medicine, mostly for diagnostic reasons, and not as a power source.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Scaramouche posted:

I don't know if it's the same in the mushroom kingdom, but Cobalt-60 is a (synthetic) radioactive isotope of Cobalt. It is relatively dangerous, emitting Gamma radiation that is very difficult to shield against. It has a light blue glow and has many uses in radioactive medicine, mostly for diagnostic reasons, and not as a power source.

It's not really a spoiler to say that no, the cobalt in this game is just magic metal. Don't expect accurate science in this game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

This game, and every other Mario RPG, has a fantastic localization.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I remember the various UK Nintendo magazines making a big fuss over the "hilarity" of the Leet speak used by the Hammer Bros, naturally being younger then, I found it funny, now however, it's about as funny as referencing Zero Wing, that is, not funny at all.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

I remember the various UK Nintendo magazines making a big fuss over the "hilarity" of the Leet speak used by the Hammer Bros, naturally being younger then, I found it funny, now however, it's about as funny as referencing Zero Wing, that is, not funny at all.

Yeah, games should really try to avoid references like those. They age about as well as bananas.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Re: The Hammer Bros: You can absolutely tell that the localization team was trying so hard, you know?

I don't find it funny now, but I can at least admit that it's amusing.

Unlike Stuffwell's schtick.

EDIT: Oh, a shroob haiku. I forgot:

Aliens are here
Toads are dying a lot now
Who cares? Save princess

Jen X fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 26, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man, I'm also bummed about the hammers being character locked. They were a fun part about Superstar Saga and rather nicely integrated into gameplay, with each brother getting to do fun hammer stuff. Here, they are integrated mostly the same way, but...it feels like Baby Mario is the one who gets the most use out of the hammer in a non-battle scenario. Kind of a letdown.

As others have said, the localization is...a thing. All I can add to the Possessed Hammer Bros. localization is :ughh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well, on one hand the leetspeak irritated me to no end. On the other hand, the characters going "oh thank god!" when you stopped them from talking like that kind of salvaged it for me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Just out of curiosity, how many would've preferred that the localization team went with the standard all-caps monotone speech for robo-dialogue as opposed to what we got?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It would have been generic, but at least it wouldn't have been cringe worthy.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

Just out of curiosity, how many would've preferred that the localization team went with the standard all-caps monotone speech for robo-dialogue as opposed to what we got?

I like that they tried something different, even if it failed so spectacularly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Their leet speak is fantastic(ally bad), you guys are all dull + dumb.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, the leetspeak was fine, especially how they reacted to being free of it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ChaosArgate posted:

I think the joke worked fine, their stuff was supposed to be cringe worthy. definitely preferable over just going "beep boop we are robots"

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Their leet speak is fantastic(ally bad), you guys are all dull + dumb.

There's a reason this is the worst Mario RPG, Leet Speak Koopas is just another thing dragging the game down, and I'm glad Nintendo never tried to be funny like this again.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Judge Tesla posted:

Anyone who's played Mario Sunshine will know why Toadsworth must be mocked and shunned forever.

I'm sorry for :thatsthejoke:, but this must be seen by those who have missed its majesty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWrUxtodhpA

BACK TO ADVENTURE!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Toads, Koopas and Bags

Tutorials Everywhere

I just want to play

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Considering that the Hammer Bros asked themselves who talks like that, I really don't see the horror of leet speak. Sure, it's not the most hilarious moment of all time, but honestly, it's preferable to BEEP BOOP I AM ROBOT. This game has many problems and stupid old internet speech isn't really one of them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

There's a reason this is the worst Mario RPG, Leet Speak Koopas is just another thing dragging the game down, and I'm glad Nintendo never tried to be funny like this again.

Hey, this game isn't great, but at least it's not Paper Mario: Sticker Star. That game was just a collection of bad ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Carlioo posted:

Considering that the Hammer Bros asked themselves who talks like that, I really don't see the horror of leet speak. Sure, it's not the most hilarious moment of all time, but honestly, it's preferable to BEEP BOOP I AM ROBOT. This game has many problems and stupid old internet speech isn't really one of them.

Yeah, BEEP BOOP I AM ROBOT is boring. It's best when you can come up with stuff on top of that to make it better. Like being crazy.

• Locked thread