Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
I'm glad to see somebody tackling this game. All I remember is the difficulty of controlling all four characters at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

CmdrKing posted:

The especially sad part of Dream Team's endless tutorials, at least for me, is the game itself is considerably longer than it really has enough ideas for. They could as easily have made the game half the length and given you almost all the moves from the start instead of stringing you along for yet more tutorials and had a much stronger final product. There's an almost tangible point around the halfway mark where you can just feel AlphaDream running out of ideas and just getting completely bored with standard M&L gameplay. I'm pretty convinced each new game in the series having a new set of mechanics for additional partners is because they blew their entire load for boss design in Superstar Saga. It's really too bad because they've been quite consistent about keeping the quirkiness fresh through the series (disclaimer: I haven't played Partners in Time, actually!) but on the gameplay front it's just tired and only the sheer awesomeness of Bowser kept Inside Story from being equally exhausting.

I was playing Dream Team at the same time I was doing the Inside Story LP and it really felt like they were the same game. Same annoying sidekick, same split between overhead and side scrolling sections, even the giant Luigi battles felt very similar to the giant Bowser battles. Nothing felt fresh or new.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

notoriousman posted:

to be fair to her, Starlow had one or two really good lines that Mandatory Plot Sidekick wouldn't be able to deliver the same. But a lot of assessments here are true; Dream Team is in too comfortable a spot, building on previous concepts and mechanics instead of trying something new and/or innovative (like this game does in spades) and the length is definitely a factor in why I eventually petered out on it. It's still a good game, but not great.

But this thread isn't about Dream Team, it's about Partners in Time! I beat this once a long while ago and sadly I was rather unimpressed at the time and sold my copy. I'm fairly regretful about this since I think the game's grown on me. It's far from perfect but it does introduce a bunch of new concepts and did a lot to make itself more than just Superstar Saga 2, and it's nice to appreciate that sort of ambition even if it doesn't pan out.

And I'm definitely glad they didn't cop Cackletta's dick move from the final battle.

True. It's not really fair to say "Well, Bowser's Inside Story did this or that." This was the followup from the GBA game, so a lot of it is Alpha exploring what they could do with more buttons and two screens and the touch screen. The DS had only been out for a year and a lot of companies were still trying to figure out what to do with it.

• Locked thread